PDA

View Full Version : No ryding for a while

Vader
07-02-2017, 01:47 PM
This past Friday I underwent robotic assisted laproscopic hernia repair. From what my surgeon said to my wife it was far more involved than he had anticipated. No ryding for a while, no lifting for six weeks, no driving for a few more days. Follow up this Thursday.
The main reason for this post is to educate those who may be contiplating this sort of repair. Having suffered a TBI in 2001, which resulted in permanent short term memory issues, I was unaware I had the other side repaired the old fashion way about 10 years ago according to my wife. After that procedure, my wife said my recovery was normal.
I went to the hospital at 930am, home by 530pm after a few stops. The initial discomfort was minimal. I was medicated and took a pill to sleep and another during the night at the perscribed intervals. On Saturday I walked the dogs, although there was some tenderness and discomfort. All in all, there really has not been any real pain. There are three small "holes" closed with steri-stripes and covered with bandages. Not bad. I have been able to walk, cook, do the dishes, sit and stand without any issues.
I will admit I watched a video on a persons experience the night prior to the procedure, and it put me at ease. I did not, however, know that I would have a catheter(peeing was not fun after the procedure) or that i would be intubated(zero after effects from that). I remember being wheeled into a hallway after an IV had beed installed to the back of may hand, and then I awoke in recovery. Zero recall of anything else.
I hope this helps put someone at ease if they are considering this and have reservations about the procedure.

nealperkins
07-02-2017, 02:03 PM
Well, I'm glad you've had a good outcome! And, glad you had access to the folks/facilities that know how to do this!

Bob Denman
07-02-2017, 05:02 PM
I'm glad that your discomfort has been pretty minimal. :thumbup:
If you need someone to exercise your Spyder a little bit...

Just call!

cuznjohn
07-02-2017, 05:22 PM
i hope you heal fast and feel better real soon

Vader
07-02-2017, 06:28 PM
Well, I'm glad you've had a good outcome! And, glad you had access to the folks/facilities that know how to do this!

Yes, very lucky to have a facility 20 minutes away, a surgeon that was outstanding an a hospital staff that was simply incredible. From pre-screening to post-op recovery, these guys and gals were just the best. And we should know. We have had a lot of experience when it comes to hospitals, lol!

Vader
07-02-2017, 06:31 PM
I'm glad that your discomfort has been pretty minimal. :thumbup:
If you need someone to exercise your Spyder a little bit...

Just call!

LOL! Yeah..sure..lol!
Would you believe I also bought a small, one man boat which I have not been able to use either??!! I am an avid fisherman, and cannot fish. But, this too shall pass...

ARtraveler
07-02-2017, 06:35 PM
Heal quickly. :yes::yes:

grumpybob
07-02-2017, 07:59 PM
Sounds like everything went well. Recover quick & ryde soon.

BLUEKNIGHT911
07-02-2017, 09:21 PM
i hope you heal fast and feel better real soon
:agree::agree::agree::agree::agree: PLUS MANY :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray::pray: ......Mike :thumbup:

SPYD1
07-02-2017, 09:58 PM
Heal fast! Glad it went well!

Chupaca
07-02-2017, 10:48 PM
Heal fast but heal well :lecturef_smilie:a little extra will add many miles of smiles for you soon enough...:thumbup:

Vader
07-05-2017, 01:16 PM
Thank all for the well wishes and kind words. Today I am about four day post surgery. Yesterday, the fourth, I went without any medication, just three advil and today nothing at all. There is still very little discomfort other than at the incision sites. Although getting into my buddies Dodge pickup was a bit tough. Follow up with the surgeon tomorrow and hoping to be cleared to ryde/drive.

ARtraveler
07-05-2017, 01:24 PM
Thank you for the update. Sounds like, so far, so good. :yes::yes:

Lew L
07-05-2017, 05:14 PM
Hoping for a full and complete recovery.:2thumbs:

Vader
07-06-2017, 01:40 PM
Doctor visit earlier today. Cleared to drive. Sadly, no ryding or fishing:(, till July 21st. No lifting anything more than 20-25lbs till August 15, my next appointment. No pain medication or Advil yesterday or today. Bandages are off. Steri-strips still in place. All in all, feeling good.
This relaxing and not doing anything is boring as...lol

Bob Denman
07-06-2017, 01:43 PM
:congrats: on the GREAT report!! :yes::ohyea::yes:
Whatever you're doing: keep doing it! :thumbup:

LateLifeCrisis
07-06-2017, 09:25 PM
Doctor visit earlier today. Cleared to drive. Sadly, no ryding or fishing:(, till July 21st. No lifting anything more than 20-25lbs till August 15, my next appointment. No pain medication or Advil yesterday or today. Bandages are off. Steri-strips still in place. All in all, feeling good.
This relaxing and not doing anything is boring as...lol\

Just a minor speed bump for a few more weeks and then you'll be back at it. Wishing you a speedy and full recovery! :thumbup:

TicketBait
07-06-2017, 10:02 PM
This relaxing and not doing anything is boring as...lol

Good news you have more time to spend on Spyderlovers and get your post count up,

heck challenge Bob Denman to more posts by the 21st of this month than him, :yes: (note you probably won't get enough sleep) :roflblack: offer him your spyder to keep him away from the keyboard.

Is betting legal on Spyderlovers?, I got twenty on Denman, over/under 200+