PDA

View Full Version : Newby

Cissylee
07-02-2017, 04:26 AM
Hi all,
I'm a new spyder owner as grew up on 2 wheel motorcycles. Traded in my Kawasaki Vulcan 900 for a RT. This is a new chapter in my life. Looking for pointers and spyder friends. I'm in NW Iowa by Sioux City. But also spend time at Okoboji. Thx

spyderfever
07-02-2017, 04:41 AM
Welcome to Spyderlovers, Cissylee! You are in the right place to learn everything about spyders. There are some wonderful people on here who will answer almost any question you have about your spyder. It will definitely be a learning curve for you because you're coming from a 2 wheel world, but be patient, relax, & enjoy the ride. Happy Trails!

papanorm
07-02-2017, 05:02 AM
Cissylee, welcome to Spyder world and enjoy your new bike. Lot's fun of fun ahead of you along with the support of this great forum.

Dmetcalf
07-02-2017, 05:26 AM
First question is in reference to the sensitive steering. I came from a 40 year stint of two wheels and there is a definite learning curve with these 3 wheel Spyder. I have found that slowing up a bit before a curve then powering "slightly" thru a curve allows you to feel a bit more "confident" initiating the curve more confidently. Any more tips for us new us..?
Any information/tips are appreciated !

IGETAROUND
07-02-2017, 06:21 AM
Both might search for the do's and don'ts here on the forum, lots of good information. Oh and by the way :welcome: many miles of smiles sent both your way:yes::thumbup::clap:

SpyderDriver
07-02-2017, 06:25 AM
Hi all,
I'm a new spyder owner as grew up on 2 wheel motorcycles. Traded in my Kawasaki Vulcan 900 for a RT. This is a new chapter in my life. Looking for pointers and spyder friends. I'm in NW Iowa by Sioux City. But also spend time at Okoboji. Thx

Hey Cissylee,

Welcome to SpyderLovers and to 3 wheeling. I also came from 2 wheelers and so far I have no regrets. I bought my Spyder in March and each time I ride I am liking it better. The ride is so relaxed and comfortable. I am still adjusting, but with an ever growing smile...the more I ride, the more I like!!

There is a great group of riders on this forum. I have found it to be both a friendly and informative forum. I read more than I post and have spent hours just enjoying getting to know my Spyder better through the vast amounts of information available.

Welcome again and enjoy your Spyder and the new friends you will meet here!

fastfraser
07-02-2017, 06:38 AM
:congrats::welcome:Hope you get Miles of Smiles on your new ride !

youngers
07-02-2017, 06:41 AM
Hi all,

hello too Iowa , and too cissy lee ! when you get more relaxed in the r-t .. please let us know what year , and if possible add a few pictures ... always fun too see who is where and what they are riding ! and now that you have a :spyder2: cycle , your vision will be more focused , you will see them all over the place , there is a thread here on spyders lovers for spyder sighting ... pretty much a lot of things too find, and read, here on the pages of spyder lovers ... glad too have ya as a friend and rider :thumbup:

Air Force PAO
07-02-2017, 06:48 AM
Cissylee, There are many Spyders in your area.

Please access the "FORUM" tab, scroll to the bottom of the page, and select IOWA.

I just did and even saw listings in Souix City.

John

P. S. Go Hawks!! :2thumbs:

Centurion
07-02-2017, 06:49 AM
Hi all,

Welcome!

I agree that the 'Dos and Dont's' Thread is an excellent resource for new riders. I also recommmed that you thoroughly read (and re-read) the owners manual and carefully watch the safety DVD that should have came with the manual. As far as meeting other riders, you will have a great chance to do that at an upcoming Spyder rally called Spyder Fever in Council Bluffs. It happens in late August and will have a lot riders from Iowa, Nebraska, Kansas and beyond.

Fossil Rider
07-02-2017, 07:02 AM
I also have no regrets, I should have switched over sooner. I don't think I will ever go back to a 2 wheeler LOL. I to at first thought the steering was sensitive but after about 1 hour it was good. I just have to find the right size windshield. I have the route 129 but I think I will add the Gustafson 17 inch, I need to do a little more research.
I like my F3S a whole bunch and so far enjoy the ride.

Arion
07-02-2017, 07:59 AM
Hi all,

Welcome from another rather new member of the forum. Okoboji? Isn't that the third moon of the Klingon home world? ;)

IGETAROUND
07-02-2017, 08:05 AM
Fossil Rider. I love your avitar:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::yes::yes::yes::y es::clap::clap::clap::clap:

Kredab
07-02-2017, 08:26 AM
Welcome from eastern Iowa. Owning a Spyder is a blast, make sure you check out Spyder Rally's, it amazes me how friendly these groups are. There is one coming up in your neck of the woods. Spyder Fever is August 18-20 in Council Bluffs. Hope to see you there and check Spyderlovers on regular basis, you can learn a lot.........Congrats:spyder2::spyder2:

murphybrown
07-02-2017, 08:53 AM
Welcome, Welcome, Welcome....you are at the right place for all things Spyder. :thumbup:

BigGuy66
07-02-2017, 08:57 AM
First question is in reference to the sensitive steering. I came from a 40 year stint of two wheels and there is a definite learning curve with these 3 wheel Spyder. I have found that slowing up a bit before a curve then powering "slightly" thru a curve allows you to feel a bit more "confident" initiating the curve more confidently. Any more tips for us new us..?

My dealer gave me a steering tip - going into a curve, push with the outside hand rather than pull with the inside hand. If the curve is turning left, I push a little more with my right hand rather than pulling hard with my left... seems to give me more control through the turn. It IS different than the VTX 1800 we used to ride... enjoy the ryde!!
Jim

Gator37
07-02-2017, 09:28 AM
Hi all,

Welcome from Washington State. You will love the Spyder and the good people on this forum. Ride safe.

Chupaca
07-02-2017, 09:50 AM
to both the spyder world and this awesome site. Congrats on the new ryde..:2thumbs: and you did come to the right place for all things spyder....:firstplace:

Cindy-TricLED
07-02-2017, 01:40 PM
Congrats and welcome to Spyder family :dg2:
show us some pic of your new ride! enjoy your 4th July weekend

- Cindy / TricLED

MikeT
07-02-2017, 02:26 PM
Both might search for the do's and don'ts here on the forum, lots of good information. Oh and by the way :welcome: many miles of smiles sent both your way:yes::thumbup::clap:
:agree: and1330club

Mike

PrairieSpyder
07-02-2017, 02:34 PM
:welcome: and :congrats: on your new Spyder!!!! Check out the event in August in Council Bluffs.

jerrydonna
07-02-2017, 02:37 PM
Hi all,

I have also just parked my 2008 Vulcan 900, but this RT looks nice but its a change, wow

Easy Rider
07-02-2017, 02:48 PM
Any more tips for us new us..?

MILES will help as much as anything.
The different steering is part of it but the different FEEL is just as big a factor.
Your unconscious brain wants to react to the 3-wheeled geometry like it has learned to do automatically on 2 wheels........and that just doesn't work anymore.

Easy Rider
07-02-2017, 02:54 PM
I have also just parked my 2008 Vulcan 900, but this RT looks nice but its a change, wow

Hey......maybe we need a support group for EX Vulcan 900 riders. :dontknow:

I absolutely HATE to let mine go. Best bike I've ever owned. Well......if you leave out the one that would do 140 !!!

Mine won't be up for sale until this fall 'cause I've got several things to do with the RT before I will really consider it road worthy.
That includes changing out the 6 year old tires.

d.o.spyder-rts
07-03-2017, 01:53 PM
:congrats: on your spyder and:welcome:to the spyder web. Dale

2Paw
07-03-2017, 02:00 PM
You are in the right place to learn everything about spyders. There are some wonderful people on here who will answer almost any question you have about your spyder

And some you didn't ask.:D Welcome to Spyderlover!

ARtraveler
07-03-2017, 02:17 PM
:welcome: and :congrats: on your new :spyder2:

Attached is a link to the Do's and Dont's for :ani29::f_spider:'s

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?41346-quot-Do-s-and-Do-Nots-quot-for-new-Spyder-owners

Three posts so far about Vulcan 900's. Great bikes. For my size, they fit me like a glove. Traded in my 2009 Vulcan 900 to buy Linda a leftover 2011 RT in 2012. Had hip issues, so two wheels had to go.

Got the hip fixed in January of this year. I just picked up a new (leftover) 2015 Vulcan 900--so I am back on two again. I am now back to the best of both worlds. :yes:

Cissylee
10-14-2017, 10:10 PM
Thank you everyone for a great welcome. I've been riding allot and loving it. Still lots to learn about these 3 wheelers but determined to do it. Sorry to say I missed the rally. I'll shoot for one next yr.
Thank you again for all welcomes and info!!

Cissylee
10-14-2017, 10:46 PM
WOW.... I just read thru " do's and dont". I have allot to learn about these. Thanks for referring me!! I posted a picture of "Snowball" .

youngers
10-15-2017, 06:47 AM
1st { don`t go on over load on information } do a little bit go out and look over the cycle , clean off the dust , { o.k. love on it a bit :thumbup: } ride it and read more later , think I polished , and took apart mine in the first 2 months . took the rain ride last weekend with 16 others , still have too wash her again and do oil change ! question to you crissy ? ------> when you rode the cycle around first couple days , did your arms feel like they had been doing a lot of heavy lifting ? :yikes: { the wife drives ours , every once in while , she is too tense in the arms trying to make it do what she wants , needs too eas-up on the grip a bit , loosen up the arms , { like when you are about to receive someones baby , just relax and wait for it , } ..... have you looked in the Iowa state forums chat for other riders ?

Tomline
10-15-2017, 07:40 AM
Hey Cissy Lee! Can you tell how to pronounce Okoboji Please? I'm trying to enlarge my vocabulary! Oh Ya, Welcome, Take Care and Enjoy the Ride!

Arion
10-15-2017, 08:24 AM
Hey Cissy Lee! Can you tell how to pronounce Okoboji Please? I'm trying to enlarge my vocabulary! Oh Ya, Welcome, Take Care and Enjoy the Ride!

With apologies to Cissy Lee, that reminds me of an old Florida joke. Two elderly gentlemen were driving along when they came to the town of Kissimmee and began an argument over how the name was pronounced. One believed it was KISS-a-me while the other believed it was kiss-SIM-me. They couldn't reach an agreement so they stopped at the first business they saw to get the correct answer from a local. When asked how they could be helped, one said, "How do you pronounce the name of this place?" The man behind the counter said "what?" and had the question repeated to him. He looked at them with some amazement and then spoke very slowly saying, "Burger King."

Cissylee
10-17-2017, 09:52 AM
1st { don`t go on over load on information } do a little bit go out and look over the cycle , clean off the dust , { o.k. love on it a bit :thumbup: } ride it and read more later , think I polished , and took apart mine in the first 2 months . took the rain ride last weekend with 16 others , still have too wash her again and do oil change ! question to you crissy ? ------> when you rode the cycle around first couple days , did your arms feel like they had been doing a lot of heavy lifting ? :yikes: { the wife drives ours , every once in while , she is too tense in the arms trying to make it do what she wants , needs too eas-up on the grip a bit , loosen up the arms , { like when you are about to receive someones baby , just relax and wait for it , } ..... have you looked in the Iowa state forums chat for other riders ?

No...i didn't notice anything in arms. But I'm a rancher and use arms allot.

Cissylee
10-17-2017, 09:55 AM

Oh ka boe gee

trucker1
10-18-2017, 12:21 PM
Welcome to the crazy world of the misfit spyder lovers. We do it our way and love every minute of it. So happy trails and enjoy the new ride.

pontow
10-18-2017, 02:31 PM
Oh ka boe gee

Welcome aboard Cissylee!! I grew up in SW Iowa myself (Malvern, east of Council Bluffs) and we vacationed a lot in Okoboji. Always stayed at Spud's Resort and made it a point to get to Arnold's Park each time. Great area to grow up in and a lot of fond memories.