PDA

View Full Version : risers and turns

wyliec
05-01-2009, 10:38 AM
I'm thinking about risers; but, after bonecrusher's comment below I'm not sure.

"Like a two-wheeler and even more-so, lean forward and into the turn...you won't have any issues with your turns...sit upright and you risk problems...this is one reason as to why I won't get high riser bars...they raise your center of gravity and can make you unstable...you can't lower yourself and lean enough when taking a sharp ramp off a highway or some other sharp turn..."

Anyone care to comment?

bone crusher
05-01-2009, 11:01 AM
I believe for normal riding, risers are fine...I don't think it's a drastic payoff between safety and ergonomics. If you are going to ride the bike more like a cruiser, then the risers are great...however, if you want more of the sportsbike feel...meaning, you are going to take turns and corners at a faster clip, then you might not want to pull yourself up too high with the risers.

I'm sure most everyone here with the higher risers got them for comfort so that they can ride for longer periods of time, not to whip around corners...everyone who has them, loves them. In regards to safety and centripetal force, lower center of gravity rules...being upright does have its pros and cons...

Firefly
05-01-2009, 11:06 AM
I don't notice any difference - only talking 3" - and it's your body weight you put into the corners - I can still take 45mph curves at 80+ - no problem!

Actually you may have better control due to having better leverage.

Magic Man
05-01-2009, 11:30 AM
[quote=wyliec;93909]I'm thinking about risers; but, after bonecrusher's comment below I'm not sure.

Ask Lamont, still to this day I have never seen anybody ride a Spyder as hard as him, and he will tell you it handles night and day BETTER. :2thumbs:

Ask tatt2r as well, he runs it real hard up in NH on some real tight turns and country roads. He too will tell you if handles BETTER with his risers.

Spyders ARE NOT SPORT BIKES! What might seem like "Joe Racer" seating on a sport bike DOES NOT WORK on a Spyder!

On sport bikes you lean forward to the bars, and once moving at more than a walking speed turn the bike by LEANING it over. Other than a very small amount of "counter steer," your arms once locked into this riding position on a sport bike never move until you once again slow down.

Spyders, like snowmobiles, Sea-Doos, ATVs must have the bars turned to make the unit turn! It is not possible the way the human body works to turn the bars with all this weight on your hands. You must remove some to almost all of your weight from you hands with your "core" muscles (lower back and stomach) to allow you to make your hands "light enough to turn the Spyder.

Besides all this movement taking time to occur, it also wears out the driver very quickly. This tired driver then begins to become slower, or sloppier as they can no longer respond as quickly because of this fatigue factor.

This might not be so bad if you ar 20 something, but for us "more mature" (aka old guys) it can make the Spyder 'less than ideal" for long fast rides. Also, sitting in that bent over of a position, with that much hand pressure for very long is not much fun for us old guys ether. :yikes:

When risers are installed the driver is sitting without so much hand pressure. Which means the driver is no longer forced to have to constantly adjust the weight on their hands to turn the Spyder, and is then able to respond quicker, with less effort over a longer period of time (longer ride) :thumbup:

MM

TwinPeaks
05-01-2009, 11:50 AM
I got my 4in riser so I could reach the handle bars/grips.:dontknow:

bone crusher
05-01-2009, 11:52 AM
Evan,

I will have to try them...I know everyone loves them...

DynamoBT
05-01-2009, 11:56 AM
Because I am so short-waisted and also because I wasn't up to cutting the bars myself and would have had to rely on the dealer to do it (felt it was a lot to ask, wasn't sure they would) I went with the Heli Bar riser by itself (no 1" BRP riser) on my Spyder.

It works great because I needed the bars to come back to me more than come "UP" to me. Anyway, not being leaned over with weight on my wrists is a huge improvement. Handling is improved as I don't have to make such a huge upper body move to simply steer.

More than putting my chin to the mirrors I feel I weight one or the other of the pegs when I turn. I try and shift weight to my feet down low and to the inside. This is what I try and imagine as I'm riding. What works for me.

I think riding the Spyder will always be a process of improving technique within the limits of the machine. I'm not a hooligan. But I do try and ride good lines at a quick pace. "Quick" is relative. I'm slow on the Spyder in comparison with a two wheeled bike right now. I'm working on improving that. I'll always be working towards improving my riding. That's half the fun of the ride!

mike3069
05-01-2009, 12:25 PM
Comments, yeah I got some.

One thing I have decided after 14000 miles is the Spyder is NOT a motorcycle. Doesn't lean, no counter steer etc. Comparisons of a Spyder to a motor cycle are like apples and oranges.

If you want to compare it to something with similar handling characteristics, you need to look at snowmobiles. Remember, the first prototype was an SkiDoo MXZ snowmobile with ski's and track replaced by wheels. That is where the Spyder's heritage lies. And when you do that, you can cross reference fairly reliably as to what a change like bar risers will get you.

Years ago on snowmobiles I discovered that bar risers gave me MUCH more control over my weight distribution and consiquently better overall handling of the machine, especially in tricky or adverse conditions and aggressive riding situations. This is what I found true when I put the risers ( I have the BRP 1", installed before delivery, and the No Magic Neon 3" installed the first day available) on my Spyder also. With the weight off my hands The Spyder is MUCH easier to steer. Just like it is more twichy if your grip is not relaxed on the handlebars, if you put weight on the bars through your arms and shoulders, you feel less in control. Try steering with one hand for a while on a stock Spyder and you will quickly find it is not very comfotable. Put the bar risers on and it becomes much better and more comfotable to do this.

Because it's NOT a motorcycle, the Spyders stock riding position is not optimal for most of us. The weight you carry on the handlebars prevents you from being able to easily shift your weight from side to side in the saddle. With the risers you are able to keep your weight centered more in the saddle and therefor able to more easily transfer weight from side to side, because you are not restrained by supporting your upper body on the handlebars. When you get your weight hung out to the side (again, think snowmobile) you can really effect a change in the vehicle CG and the easier that is, to more likly you are to do it. A benefit of this is that the more you move the CG to the side the longer the nanny remains asleep and the faster you can negotiate the corners.

So my conclusion is that the bar risers are the best immediate performance gaining mod for the money available, as well as a comfort mod that makes longer rides possible and more enjoyable.

Hope this helps.

zzneonzz
05-01-2009, 12:38 PM
So my conclusion is that the bar risers are the best immediate performance gaining mod for the money available, as well as a comfort mod that makes longer rides possible and more enjoyable.

:agree:

The Breeze
05-01-2009, 12:50 PM

One thing I have decided after 14000 miles is the Spyder is NOT a motorcycle. Doesn't lean, no counter steer etc. Comparisons of a Spyder to a motor cycle are like apples and oranges.

If you want to compare it to something with similar handling characteristics, you need to look at snowmobiles. Remember, the first prototype was an SkiDoo MXZ snowmobile with ski's and track replaced by wheels. That is where the Spyder's heritage lies. And when you do that, you can cross reference fairly reliably as to what a change like bar risers will get you.

Years ago on snowmobiles I discovered that bar risers gave me MUCH more control over my weight distribution and consiquently better overall handling of the machine, especially in tricky or adverse conditions and aggressive riding situations. This is what I found true when I put the risers ( I have the BRP 1", installed before delivery, and the No Magic Neon 3" installed the first day available) on my Spyder also. With the weight off my hands The Spyder is MUCH easier to steer. Just like it is more twichy if your grip is not relaxed on the handlebars, if you put weight on the bars through your arms and shoulders, you feel less in control. Try steering with one hand for a while on a stock Spyder and you will quickly find it is not very comfotable. Put the bar risers on and it becomes much better and more comfotable to do this.

Because it's NOT a motorcycle, the Spyders stock riding position is not optimal for most of us. The weight you carry on the handlebars prevents you from being able to easily shift your weight from side to side in the saddle. With the risers you are able to keep your weight centered more in the saddle and therefor able to more easily transfer weight from side to side, because you are not restrained by supporting your upper body on the handlebars. When you get your weight hung out to the side (again, think snowmobile) you can really effect a change in the vehicle CG and the easier that is, to more likly you are to do it. A benefit of this is that the more you move the CG to the side the longer the nanny remains asleep and the faster you can negotiate the corners.

Hope this helps.

Absolutely :agree:

Even as a novice rider, I can say that the difference between my first 1k miles without the risers and my second 1k with my NMN 4" risers was a big difference in both comfort and performance. Because I am more comfortable and I am not thinking about the numbness in my wrists, I can concentrate on driving through the curves.

ataDude
05-01-2009, 01:12 PM
Good summary, Mike. I, too, have risers and wouldn't do without them. Much more leverage for control, particularly on the twisties... they in no way keep you from leaning and butt-shifting.

Plus, they're much more comfortable all of the time.

Hope this helps.

Buelldog
05-01-2009, 02:02 PM
As A former ATV & Motorcycle Instructor......the SPYDER is a breed all its own!However riding technique somewhat mimics that of an ATV or snowmobile.I have the NMN 3" risers on top of the BRP 1"riser and slicing curves is not minimized by the addition of these risers.In fact freedom from the forward lean required of the stock bar position has increased my mobility in arm and shoulder movement which inturn allows more rider input into how you steer this trike....PUSH and PULL!! And yes I am still rider active in body positioning!!And Yes, for us senior riders......shoulders start aching......bottom line , zero negatives for me.....all positives regarding riser mods:ohyea:

jnt
05-01-2009, 02:06 PM

"Like a two-wheeler and even more-so, lean forward and into the turn...you won't have any issues with your turns...sit upright and you risk problems...this is one reason as to why I won't get high riser bars...they raise your center of gravity and can make you unstable...you can't lower yourself and lean enough when taking a sharp ramp off a highway or some other sharp turn..."

Anyone care to comment?

Yup. I get to ride W's, which is NOT set up for me (she is 4'10"). It has the Kewl 7" bars, 1" BRP riser, and Russell seat, with riders position both a little higher and forwarder. I do believe I can ride it just as hard in this configuration as I could stock. Yes, I do have to pay attention to body positioning when cornering (I also did in the stock setup), but it feels easier with the taller bars, like it gives me more options where to put my body.

mike3069
05-01-2009, 03:12 PM
... but it feels easier with the taller bars, like it gives me more options where to put my body.

Bingo!:thumbup:

SpyderByter
05-01-2009, 03:29 PM
My vote is YES on the risers, for most of the reasons brought up already. If you want to get your chest down to where it would be without the risers, thats easy enough, just bend the elbows.

But 90% of the time, you will enjoy having the ability to be farther back and still steer.

Peoriafirefighter
05-01-2009, 03:30 PM
[quote=wyliec;93909]I'm thinking about risers; but, after bonecrusher's comment below I'm not sure.

Ask Lamont, still to this day I have never seen anybody ride a Spyder as hard as him, and he will tell you it handles night and day BETTER. :2thumbs:

Ask tatt2r as well, he runs it real hard up in NH on some real tight turns and country roads. He too will tell you if handles BETTER with his risers.

Spyders ARE NOT SPORT BIKES! What might seem like "Joe Racer" seating on a sport bike DOES NOT WORK on a Spyder!

On sport bikes you lean forward to the bars, and once moving at more than a walking speed turn the bike by LEANING it over. Other than a very small amount of "counter steer," your arms once locked into this riding position on a sport bike never move until you once again slow down.

Spyders, like snowmobiles, Sea-Doos, ATVs must have the bars turned to make the unit turn! It is not possible the way the human body works to turn the bars with all this weight on your hands. You must remove some to almost all of your weight from you hands with your "core" muscles (lower back and stomach) to allow you to make your hands "light enough to turn the Spyder.

Besides all this movement taking time to occur, it also wears out the driver very quickly. This tired driver then begins to become slower, or sloppier as they can no longer respond as quickly because of this fatigue factor.

This might not be so bad if you ar 20 something, but for us "more mature" (aka old guys) it can make the Spyder 'less than ideal" for long fast rides. Also, sitting in that bent over of a position, with that much hand pressure for very long is not much fun for us old guys ether. :yikes:

When risers are installed the driver is sitting without so much hand pressure. Which means the driver is no longer forced to have to constantly adjust the weight on their hands to turn the Spyder, and is then able to respond quicker, with less effort over a longer period of time (longer ride) :thumbup:

MM

[quote=zzneonzz;93948]:agree:

:agree:I also agree that they make it easier to take corners faster. When I was at Sturgis last year, two wheelers were leaning into the corners so hard they were scrapping their pipes and going as hard as they could. I was on their tail the entire time with no problem in the curves. When we stopped, the motorcyles came back to talk to me and couldn't believe how the Spyder cornered. I have the 4" risers.

tatt2r
05-01-2009, 03:33 PM

MM

much better and i drive this thing like an idiot ..... thinking about velcro pants and seat ......:D

quackerz
05-01-2009, 03:40 PM
:agree:completely. The risers have made my ride so much more comfortable and easier to steer & turn. I'm 5'3" and my better half is 6'3" and when I allow him to ride my :spyder2: he notices a big difference on the plus side also.

quackerz

spyder08
05-01-2009, 08:37 PM
I recently bought a 2008 spyder PE #1031/SM5 and am thinking about putting a riser on it. Question is how do I know if my spyder has a 1" BRP riser already? Do you buy them that way or do you have to install it yourself? Why does it need a 1" riser in order to put a lets say 3" riser on? Trying to figure this out
Thanks for any info. anyone might have. :shocked:

Star Cruiser
05-01-2009, 09:31 PM

Anyone care to comment?

I have the stock 1" risers on my SE5 and it has not affected the manouverabilty of mine. I ride fairly hard most of the time. Tach is never under 4,000rpm exept when stopped. I think that the comfort factor is a safety element in itself. Mind you, mine is only 1" but I'm sure up to 3" or 4" should be fine.
I'd stay away from apehangers :lecturef_smilie: - they would affect the handing, I am sure.

jeuchler
05-01-2009, 09:35 PM
I...In regards to safety and centripetal force, lower center of gravity rules...being upright does have its pros and cons...

Bone crusher -

Thanks so much for writing "centripetal force."

"Centrifugal force" makes your wallet on your truck dashboard slide right when you turn left. (A pseudo or fake force. There's nothing pushing it to the right. The wallet just want's to keep traveling straight, and is trying to while you turn.) No such a thing.

Centripetal force pulls an object in toward the center. It's what's keeping us on earth as it spins (supplied by gravity), it's what keeps a yo-yo from flying off (supplied by string tension) when you do a walk the dog, and it's why Spyderryders shift their weight forward and down--like they're riding a snowmobile--when they take a turn hard.

By the way, the fried oatmeal and pickles you ate with milk made you "nauseated" not "nauseous." If you are nauseous then you are making me sick.

Thank you. I'm am now done with my English grammar rant. This post may now be moved to the OT folder with my other posts...:joke:

jeuchler
05-01-2009, 09:38 PM
[quote=Magic Man;93924]

much better and i drive this thing like an idiot ..... thinking about velcro pants and seat ......:D

Velcro pants are awesome. :doorag:

wyliec
05-01-2009, 09:51 PM
Bone crusher -

"Centrifugal force" makes your wallet on your truck dashboard slide right when you turn left. (A pseudo or fake force. There's nothing pushing it to the right. The wallet just want's to keep traveling straight, and is trying to while you turn.) No such a thing.

Centripetal force pulls an object in toward the center. It's what's keeping us on earth as it spins (supplied by gravity), it's what keeps a yo-yo from flying off (supplied by string tension) when you do a walk the dog, and it's why Spyderryders shift their weight forward and down--like they're riding a snowmobile--when they take a turn hard.

By the way, the fried oatmeal and pickles you ate with milk made you "nauseated" not "nauseous." If you are nauseous then you are making me sick.

Thank you. I'm am now done with my English grammar rant. This post may now be moved to the OT folder with my other posts...:joke:

Check this out:
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/nauseous

jeuchler
05-01-2009, 10:04 PM
Check this out:
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/nauseous

Yeah, they're wrong.

Except for the part where they contradict themselves. That part's correct.

It's like the difference between flammable and inflammable--boy, I learned that one the hard way...

wingnut
05-02-2009, 06:25 AM

Anyone care to comment?
get the risers:2thumbs:

mike3069
05-02-2009, 08:12 AM
I recently bought a 2008 spyder PE #1031/SM5 and am thinking about putting a riser on it. Question is how do I know if my spyder has a 1" BRP riser already? Do you buy them that way or do you have to install it yourself? Why does it need a 1" riser in order to put a lets say 3" riser on? Trying to figure this out
Thanks for any info. anyone might have. :shocked:

welcome
The BRP riser is a 1" lift. If it is hard to see any of the streeing shaft between the bottom of the handlebar assembly and the Spyder bodywork, you don't have one. If you can see about an inch of the steering shaft in this area you have one.

If you have one, you order the 3" NMN risers.

If you don't have one you order the 4" NMN risers.

You cannot use the 4" NMN risers AND the BRP 1" riser togeather and I can see no reason you would only want the 3" NMN riser without the BRP 1" already installed.

Hope this helps.

bone crusher
05-02-2009, 10:06 AM
Bone crusher -

Since you started, I'll come atcha (for fun of course)...don't give an English grammar rant if you have mistakes, tough guy!

'No such a thing' ain't proper grammar...

As far as our physics lesson for the day, centrifugal force is more abstract and is not a proven force as is centripetal force...there are formulations for centripetal force if you wish to go through them all. Calc. based physics was a looooong time ago for me, so I won't go too far on that topic...

As far as pickles and the like, save them for your hamburger...fried oatmeal'?? Yuck... As far as your nauseating vs. nauseous argument goes, you're wrong there too...what dictionaries have you written lately?

Okay, enough...let's go out and ride our bikes and have fun that way...if you wanna eat a pickle and fried oatmeal while you ride, that's your prerogative.

Lamonster
05-02-2009, 10:40 AM
Okay, enough...let's go out and ride our bikes and have fun that way...if you wanna eat a pickle and fried oatmeal while you ride, that's your prerogative.
YouTube- Broadcast Yourself.

bone crusher
05-02-2009, 11:04 AM
YouTube - Broadcast Yourself. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3T8pi2HDmgY)

Cute...kinda...

Latemarch
05-02-2009, 11:52 AM
[quote=tatt2r;93996]

Velcro pants are awesome. :doorag:

Actually.....not!

I put some Armorall on the seat to make it just a bit more slippery and find that it allows me to shift in the seat to the inside of the curve better.nojoke

Still raising the inside wheel, and triggering nanny....... will have to add the Evoluzione anti sway bar to the spyder next.:2thumbs:

Anyone else find having a slipperier seat a benifit?

bone crusher
05-02-2009, 01:39 PM
[quote=jeuchler;94074]

Actually.....not!

I put some Armorall on the seat to make it just a bit more slippery and find that it allows me to shift in the seat to the inside of the curve better.nojoke

Still raising the inside wheel, and triggering nanny....... will have to add the Evoluzione anti sway bar to the spyder next.:2thumbs:

Raising the inside wheel? :hun:

tatt2r
05-02-2009, 03:10 PM
[quote=jeuchler;94074]

Actually.....not!

I don't see how a slippery seat is better I'm really thinking about having Corbin covered in a non slippery material

Bimjo
05-02-2009, 03:18 PM
[quote=jeuchler;94074]

Let's talk after the first time you need to panic stop with that nice slippery seat. I have a feeling your voice may be a tad higher than it is now.

Don't ask me how I know that. :roflblack:

bone crusher
05-02-2009, 03:47 PM
[quote=Latemarch;94197]

Let's talk after the first time you need to panic stop with that nice slippery seat. I have a feeling your voice may be a tad higher than it is now.

Don't ask me how I know that. :roflblack:

Ouch...I prefer to be 'stuck on' my seat as well...when on a sharp turn, I like the feel of being stable on the bike...sliding around isn't for me....maybe for others, but not for me...

DynamoBT
05-02-2009, 04:15 PM
I kind of like that the stock seat is "tacky" feeling.

When I rode horses I intentionally wore fabric breeches that were slippery against the saddle. I figured if my butt didn' slide around when I rode day to day, in competition when I wore tacky breeches I'd feel absolutely glued to the horse. The Spyder seat feels a lot like a saddle to me. I like it.

BajaRon
05-02-2009, 07:27 PM
I have the NMN risers and they are an excellent upgrade to the stock handlebars.

I like to ride hard (which comes in handy trying to keep up with Lamont) and these risers really help. They give me more leverage and overall control. It's hard to describe unless you've ridden with them. Kind of like bumping up the power steering effect with added control.

Actually, I wasn't really dissappointed with the stock bars. I probably never would have switched if Lamont had not been so impressed with his.

After he installed his risers I sat on his bike. I thought that they felt good and they definitely look awesome.

When I got mine I realized that you don't really get the full effect just sitting on the bike.

As soon as I took off down the driveway I knew this was a great improvement over stock. I was surprised how much more natural and comfortable the riding position was. The improvement is even more noticable on a long ride.

Another thing I like about these risers is they are not a 1 size fits all approach. Unlike many pull-back/riser products, this one is really adjustable. You can rotate the risers to get just the right combination of elevation + setback you need.

Thanks NMM...another great product that really works! :thumbup:

Smylinacha
05-02-2009, 07:35 PM

Hope this helps.

Yep - what Mike said!:agree::agree::agree::agree:

Longlegs
05-02-2009, 08:52 PM
It's kinda funny that I see this thread tonite. I ride a snowmobile too, and have a 3 inch riser on it. (Rev) It definately helps me in the cornering. I made the realization today that I need more rise/pullback on my spyder, because I have way too much pressure on my wrists. I already have the one inch riser, but now I am wondering if I should buy the the 3 inch or take out the 1 and put on 4 inch risers? Also curious if I can save my grips. I was kinda hoping to put on a handbrake too, so I don't know how that will work out either?

BajaRon
05-02-2009, 09:42 PM
It's kinda funny that I see this thread tonite. I ride a snowmobile too, and have a 3 inch riser on it. (Rev) It definately helps me in the cornering. I made the realization today that I need more rise/pullback on my spyder, because I have way too much pressure on my wrists. I already have the one inch riser, but now I am wondering if I should buy the the 3 inch or take out the 1 and put on 4 inch risers? Also curious if I can save my grips. I was kinda hoping to put on a handbrake too, so I don't know how that will work out either?

Not sure which way to go with the risers (1" + 3" or 4" - 1"). But I can tell you the hand brake is just fine with the riser as I've got one.

Not sure if you can save the grips. I cut mine off. There are so many great grips out there to choose from I'm not sure it's worth saving the stock ones anyway. It's another opportunity to customize your ride.

No matter which way you go I'm pretty sure you're going to love the risers.

bone crusher
05-02-2009, 10:38 PM
Not sure which way to go with the risers (1" + 3" or 4" - 1"). But I can tell you the hand brake is just fine with the riser as I've got one.

Not sure if you can save the grips. I cut mine off. There are so many great grips out there to choose from I'm not sure it's worth saving the stock ones anyway. It's another opportunity to customize your ride.

No matter which way you go I'm pretty sure you're going to love the risers.

I spoke with Evan the other day...being I have the 1" BRP riser, he said to just go with the 3" riser on top of that...

I will give it a shake a bit down the road...once I get some other mods taken care of...

So much to buy, never enough cash...gotta flip that couch one more time to make sure I got all the change out of it!

Longlegs
05-03-2009, 09:50 PM
Well as for the grips, yeah the stock ones were bad. I already have new grips, thats why I hate to trash them. I was wondering if the 4 inch riser would have better adjustability. I also wonderered if it was going to give me an even better view of the back of my hands in my mirrors. And yeah I know, mirror extensions, but then my windshield won't match up and where do I stop? I'll have as many unused spyder parts as Lamonster.:D

tajohn
05-05-2009, 08:44 AM
Thanks I feel the same about the risers relieving the tiring hand pressure!

MM