PDA

View Full Version : Anyone like old trains?

Cavman
07-01-2017, 09:50 PM
https://m.wimp.com/trains-are-so-very-cool/

Chupaca
07-02-2017, 12:20 AM
Was he holding up, towing, or being pushed by the Accela...:roflblack::roflblack:

PrairieSpyder
07-02-2017, 08:52 AM
Yeah, I wonder if he was towing that modern train or getting pushed!

Cool video, though.

Grandpot
07-02-2017, 09:23 AM
I'm sure he was being pushed. The only time I saw steam was when he blew his whistle at the crossing.

40Xshooter
07-02-2017, 09:32 AM
Was he holding up, towing, or being pushed by the Accela...:roflblack::roflblack:

That locomotive was WORKING. The metra engine was there in case of an emergency. Almost all of these type of trains carry a diesel in case of problems...

BoilerAnimal
07-02-2017, 11:03 AM
I like trains, preferably the first generation diesels. But steam engines are pretty cool, too.

The Santa Fe 3751 is a 4-8-4 Northern type oil burning locomotive built by Baldwin in 1927. It's pulling the train, the diesel locomotive behind it is a 4000 hp MP36PH-C built by MotivePower, one of several American companies that build locomotives. The diesel supplies the power for lights and air conditioning and can also provide the power to keep the train moving in the advent of the steam engine's failure.

As far as capabilities go, the 3751 has FAR more power than needed to pull that train at speeds approaching 90 MPH or more. The steam engines that were built shortly before the end of the steam era were actually very efficient and were technological wonders of their time.

ARtraveler
07-02-2017, 03:30 PM
I like trains, preferably the first generation diesels. But steam engines are pretty cool, too.

The Santa Fe 3751 is a 4-8-4 Northern type oil burning locomotive built by Baldwin in 1927. It's pulling the train, the diesel locomotive behind it is a 4000 hp MP36PH-C built by MotivePower, one of several American companies that build locomotives. The diesel supplies the power for lights and air conditioning and can also provide the power to keep the train moving in the advent of the steam engine's failure.

As far as capabilities go, the 3751 has FAR more power than needed to pull that train at speeds approaching 90 MPH or more. The steam engines that were built shortly before the end of the steam era were actually very efficient and were technological wonders of their time.

:bowdown::bowdown::firstplace::firstplace:

ES44AC
07-02-2017, 08:15 PM
I love old and new trains ,big and small. I get to play with the 1.1 scale every day and I still love them.

Thanks for the post !

RinconRyder
07-02-2017, 11:01 PM
Got a train question.....

Why did the old steam engines have the engineer's workstation at the rear of the engine? I realize that the first steam engines had to have a fireman shoveling coal or wood into the firebox but it seems to me the engineer could have been at the front thereby having a much better look down the tracks.

All diesel locomotives that I have ever seen had their engineers compartment at the front.

ARtraveler
07-03-2017, 02:43 PM

Why did the old steam engines have the engineer's workstation at the rear of the engine? I realize that the first steam engines had to have a fireman shoveling coal or wood into the firebox but it seems to me the engineer could have been at the front thereby having a much better look down the tracks.

All diesel locomotives that I have ever seen had their engineers compartment at the front.

That is a good question. :bowdown::bowdown: :popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

BoilerAnimal
07-03-2017, 04:43 PM

You basically answered your own question! The design of a steam loco is similar to a power plant but laid on it's side. The firebox is located at one end and the fire travels towards the smoke stack at the other end. Water is added to the boiler tubes inside between the firebox and smoke stack. As the water travels from the firebox to the stack it is heated to steam and is piped to the cylinders where steam is fed from one side, then the other, so that the pistons are being driven in each direction. The pistons drive the connecting rods that are fastened to the wheels, which are offset from the wheels on the opposite side of the axle by one quarter of a turn.

They built a few locos with the cab astradle the boiler. These were called camelbacks and Mother Hubbard by some. The fireman was positioned at the back of the boiler under a small overhang to protect them from the weather. These had a problem from the extreme heat of the boiler and also if a connecting rod broke it could be lethal for the engineer.

The Southern Pacific built some articulated locos that had the cab in front for both the engineer and fireman. These were oil burners and were a steam engine where they pretty much just turned it end for end. These were built to prevent the crews from being overcome by smoke in the long tunnels and snowsheds in the mountains. The drawback to this design was the fact that there was no protection offered in the case of an accident.

oldgoat
07-04-2017, 09:14 AM
Thank you for the link. It was great.

Because it is an oil burner you do not necessarily have to have copious smoke coming out of the chimney so I'm sure it was a fully powered up loco.

Great to see it out for the day. Cool blue Chevy(?) wagon of some type or other as well.

Thanks

RinconRyder
07-04-2017, 03:33 PM
Cool blue Chevy(?) wagon of some type or other as well.

That "wagon" was an early Suburban. Prolly early 60's.

jcthorne
07-05-2017, 12:27 PM
Yep, Spyder and old trains go well together....

retread
07-05-2017, 01:46 PM
The old trains I'm into are Shay, Hiesler, Vulcan Climax, and 8 ton Porters. Trying to schedule a trip to Cass Railroad so I can ride them.

john