PDA

View Full Version : Too much pressure in the rear tire?

ARNIE R
06-30-2017, 03:54 PM
I just recently passed the 5k mark on my Spyder with the original Kenda tires. Yesterday, I was checking on the wear pattern for any issues and thought the rear looked concave across the tread pattern. I laid a straightedge across the tread and sure enough, the center tread was about 1/16th of an inch lower than the outside edges. This normally indicates over inflation on a car tire.
Running the recommended 28psi. Should I try a lower psi or just leave it all alone?

BLUEKNIGHT911
06-30-2017, 04:56 PM
:gaah:...... Nothing is going to help the Kenda tire period ..... it's not well made compared to the worst car tire ....... It's not a question of PSI .... The Kenda just doesn't have enough TREAD plies to keep it flat as it spins ....... and this opinion is universal on this forum ..... Mike :thumbup:

SpyderNeil
06-30-2017, 04:58 PM
I just recently passed the 5k mark on my Spyder with the original Kenda tires. Yesterday, I was checking on the wear pattern for any issues and thought the rear looked concave across the tread pattern. I laid a straightedge across the tread and sure enough, the center tread was about 1/16th of an inch lower than the outside edges. This normally indicates over inflation on a car tire.
Running the recommended 28psi. Should I try a lower psi or just leave it all alone?

That seems to be the normal wear-pattern for the Kendas, mine did the same thing.

Neil

Bob Denman
06-30-2017, 05:18 PM
This is what seems to happen with Kendas. :banghead:
You're correct: that sort of wear would Normally indicate a tire pressure that is too high...
So what would you do?
You'd let out some air, and it would STILL do the exact same thing! :shocked:
Why?
These tires lack the rigidity to do the job. At speed: they "Balloon outward" due to centrifugal forces. Make the center tread wear faster...
So you put more air in...
And they balloon outward due to the increased air pressures: still wearing out the center tread...

It's an ugly, and vicious circle! nojoke

Easy Rider
06-30-2017, 08:20 PM
the center tread was about 1/16th of an inch lower than the outside edges. This normally indicates over inflation on a car tire.

Wait.....what ?
I think you have that backwards.
Anyhow, unless the wear pattern looks uneven, I'd say leave it alone.......IF you are running the recommended pressure.

Chupaca
06-30-2017, 10:25 PM
150348 this is my kenda at the wear limit after 19,000 miles @ 28 lbs of hard ryding. Second one did the same..now trying the Arachnid.we shall see...:dontknow:

canamjhb
06-30-2017, 11:08 PM
This is my first time trying to add pictures but if they come through, here is what mine looked like with less than 9,000 miles on the bike. The middle was a bald as can be from ballooning. I do have a question, the dealer replaced the Kenda tire with a new one. It has about 800 miles on it now. We are planning on a 4,000 mile trip next month and I would like to know if it is reasonably A-OK
for that. I will certainly replace it with a car tire when it is done. That would put a little less than 5K on the tire total.....?

BLUEKNIGHT911
06-30-2017, 11:28 PM
This is my first time trying to add pictures but if they come through, here is what mine looked like with less than 9,000 miles on the bike. The middle was a bald as can be from ballooning. I do have a question, the dealer replaced the Kenda tire with a new one. It has about 800 miles on it now. We are planning on a 4,000 mile trip next month and I would like to know if it is reasonably A-OK
for that. I will certainly replace it with a car tire when it is done. That would put a little less than 5K on the tire total.....?
Well that would still be a lot less than 9000 ....... and it won't all be in Az....... so you might get better mileage elsewhere ..... Then you can get a General Altimax or Michelin ......... Mike :thumbup:

canamjhb
06-30-2017, 11:35 PM
Thank you Mike. I value your expert opinion highly. I bought the bike in Tulsa Ok and the tire looked good. Rode it back to mesa, AZ. Had the tire replaced in New Mexico on the way which is where the pictures were taken. I was unaware of Kenda tire issues when traveling but am now more educated. Thanks for the information.....

Easy Rider
07-01-2017, 08:43 AM
here is what mine looked like with less than 9,000 miles on the bike. The middle was a bald as can be from ballooning.

Looks like a perfect example of the problem to me.

It will be worse and will happen sooner the faster your ride.
Just puttering around town all the time and you may NEVER see that kind of wear.

BajaRon
07-01-2017, 09:30 AM
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=150350&d=1498881968

Very typical tire wear for the Kenda's.

My first and only Kenda tire looked just like yours. Worn out in the middle with plenty of tread on both sides. This tells you how much footprint you have at freeway speeds. Only about 3" of your tire is actually in contact with the road surface at speed. This alone would be enough for me to go to a car tire because when I hit the brakes or make an emergency avoidance maneuver I want all the rubber I can get on the ground.

This is a picture of my Toyo TR1. I loved this tire so, of course, they discontinued it! But there are still good alternatives available. As you can see here, I had 100% road contact 100% of the time with this tire. It has a very flat profile and even wear all the way across the tread. The depth of the grooves are pretty much identical all the way across. This is what you want to see.

http://img2.jpegbay.com/gallery/006321639/15_f.jpg?9765