PDA

View Full Version : Required tools

Bayouboy
06-28-2017, 07:35 AM
I will be installing a set of Diamond R armrest this weekend, aka, the wife's first farkle. Looking under the seat, I noticed that the screws have a Torx head on them. What is the size of the Torx? Can you guys and gals recommend a starter set of tools I should buy. Mostly for the easier farkling. Thanks in advance for the wisdom.
:bowdown:

Peter Aawen
06-28-2017, 07:38 AM
The OE tool bag (under the seat) should have all the necessary starter/basic tools in it, didn't you get one of them? :dontknow:

CapeSpyder
06-28-2017, 07:48 AM
For panel removal to make pins easy
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003WZTI12/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
i went to sears and picked up a t handle torx set 7 piece i think

Zip
06-28-2017, 08:24 AM
Harbor Fright has a nice set of assorted bits in a plastic case for around $10. It's a blue case with clear lid.

Road-Kill
06-28-2017, 08:56 AM
Leatherman tool, bicycle hand pump, vulcanizing kit, cell & numbers to call for help, credit card & cash.

Easy Rider
06-28-2017, 11:54 AM
The OE tool bag (under the seat) should have all the necessary starter/basic tools in it, didn't you get one of them? :dontknow:

The mounting location can be a little confusing.
The dealer I bought mine from said the tool kit was missing.
I found it right where it should be: Strapped to the underside of the seat pan. :banghead:

P.S. Those screws with "security" heads are intended to NOT be removed. They stay with the body panel when it is removed.......along with the rubber plug on the inside.

SteveLaoyster
06-28-2017, 01:57 PM
The OE tool bag (under the seat) should have all the necessary starter/basic tools in it, didn't you get one of them? :dontknow:My tool kit is in the bottom of the top compartment held with velcro. Anybody else have theirs in there??

Bayouboy
06-28-2017, 02:47 PM
My tool kit is in the bottom of the top compartment held with velcro. Anybody else have theirs in there??

That's where I found mine, in the bottom of the trunk.

SteveLaoyster
06-28-2017, 02:58 PM
That's where I found mine, in the bottom of the trunk.And it has just the basic stuff that is needed for maintenance. I'm planning on adding a few items like pin pliers for those plastic pins & extra pins too. I should get rechargeable tire pump too.

BitSlayer
06-28-2017, 03:10 PM
Here is what I carry, It may not be enough, or too much, but it seemed reasonable at the time. :pray:

12-volt air Compressor
Tire plug kit
Assortment of cable ties (zip ties)
Screwdriver with interchangeable heads, including a couple of torx heads
Ratchet with some basic sockets
Wire cutter
Small crescent wrench
Needle nose pliers
Extra oil, coolant and a small funnel
On long trips extra gas (been caught on a ride where planned stops did not go as planned

All of the tools fit nicely in small containers in the trunk and do not take up much room. The oil, coolant and extra gas takes up one of the saddlebags.

CapeSpyder
06-28-2017, 05:10 PM
:agree:
I carry near the same i might have to add the last 2 items

SpyderAnn01
06-28-2017, 07:42 PM
And it has just the basic stuff that is needed for maintenance. I'm planning on adding a few items like pin pliers for those plastic pins & extra pins too. I should get rechargeable tire pump too.

A flat tip screwdriver is really all you need to remove the pushpins. Pushpin pliers are okay but they take up more space in your toolkit than a flat tip does.

BitSlayer
06-28-2017, 09:21 PM
A flat tip screwdriver is really all you need to remove the pushpins. Pushpin pliers are okay but they take up more space in your toolkit than a flat tip does.
:agree:

BoilerAnimal
06-28-2017, 11:19 PM
Ditch the 12 volt air compressors or bicycle pumps and get one of these from Lamonster: http://www.lamonstergarage.com/lamonster-approved-air-pack-silver/ You'll be glad you did!

Like Ann said, a flat top screwdriver works just fine for removing the pushpins. I put a bend in mind so it works very easily.

Bofinn
09-17-2019, 02:33 PM
I have a really nice toolkit for my Harley but the zipper broke. So I just bought this - love that it rolls up with a velcro strap. Pit Posse Motorcycle ATV Metric Tool Kit (https://www.amazon.com/Pit-Posse-PP2879-Motorcycle-Kawasaki/dp/B004NDPSH0/ref=sr_1_7?crid=3IT9VJ9ZOOIF1&keywords=metric+motorcycle+tool+kit&qid=1568748544&s=gateway&sprefix=metric+mot%2Caps%2C152&sr=8-7)

Big F
09-17-2019, 03:35 PM
why buy when there was a complete set with the bike?????? look under the seat.
BIG F

JayBros
09-17-2019, 04:13 PM
why buy when there was a complete set with the bike?????? look under the seat.
BIG F

For my money with the "complete" tool kit you'll have a helluva time replacing a headlight bulb if you need to do so on a long trip. While there is a 10 mm "socket" in the kit one will play hell getting the upper center headlight mounting bolt out without a good socket and long extension. I recommend a 1/4" drive to save space. I carry two spare headlight bulbs even though I have LED headlights and fog lights.

' in the kit