PDA

View Full Version : Trying to beat the Heat

rtotten
06-25-2017, 12:06 PM
My wife and I have ordered Vesikmo vests to keep up cool. We live in North Las Vegas where it has hit 117 about 4 times already this summer.

Bob Denman
06-25-2017, 12:16 PM
:2thumbs: But frequent stops for ice cream are also a big help! :yes:

Highwayman2013
06-25-2017, 12:21 PM
My wife and I have ordered Vesikmo vests to keep up cool. We live in North Las Vegas where it has hit 117 about 4 times already this summer.

We are waiting for a full report. http://www.veskimo.com/

tomand
06-25-2017, 01:02 PM
i got a pair of glacier tee vests and love em rode the other day when it was 115 and they kept me cool and could feel the cool air down my vented jacket sleeve past my elbows

UtahPete
06-25-2017, 01:09 PM
We are waiting for a full report. http://www.veskimo.com/

Thanks for providing a link to the product. That's interesting. Sounds bulky and a bit of a hassle. Would like to hear from others who have tried this system as it doesn't seem to offer any heat relief for the head, which is where I think the real danger lies for motorcyclists.

I lived in Phoenix for a few years and the worst part of riding in that heat was being stuck at a light with the heat from the engine, plus the heat from the asphalt, and no air movement to help out.

SpyderAnn01
06-25-2017, 02:36 PM
Rick do you plan to wear them when riding around town or just on longer trips? We wear cool vests under textile jackets when on trips and they keep us plenty cool. They do not work well though if you are stopping at every traffic light so around town I wear a mesh jacket.

Lew L
06-25-2017, 02:51 PM
A simple cooling vest:2thumbs: and a vented windshield really helps keep me cooler when out on the :spyder2: in the high temps of the No. Nevada desert.
Pete, maybe one of those cooling scarves about the neck might work for you also.

Kaos

Hope your not in the path of any of the fires in your state:yikes:.

UtahPete
06-25-2017, 03:05 PM
A simple cooling vest:2thumbs: and a vented windshield really helps keep me cooler when out on the :spyder2: in the high temps of the No. Nevada desert.
Pete, maybe one of those cooling scarves about the neck might work for you also.

Kaos

Thanks. I live in the high desert of Utah, so still have to deal with those conditions on a regular basis. My wife and I do use both the scarfs and the regular cooling vests and they work quite well until they dry out. I guess that's the point of these other high-tech vests is a continual supply of cold water. I'm just not sure how much of a hassle that is to deal with vs. having to stop occasionally and soak our scarfs and vests.

SpyderAnn01
06-25-2017, 08:53 PM
Thanks. I live in the high desert of Utah, so still have to deal with those conditions on a regular basis. My wife and I do use both the scarfs and the regular cooling vests and they work quite well until they dry out. I guess that's the point of these other high-tech vests is a continual supply of cold water. I'm just not sure how much of a hassle that is to deal with vs. having to stop occasionally and soak our scarfs and vests.

If i feel dry while riding I just put water down onto my vest. I keep a bottle in the cup holder for that purpose. I wear a Camelbak for drinking water.

UtahPete
06-25-2017, 09:56 PM
If i feel dry while riding I just put water down onto my vest. I keep a bottle in the cup holder for that purpose. I wear a Camelbak for drinking water.

Good idea.

Bob Denman
06-26-2017, 06:45 AM
:shocked: (Must NOT make a joke about wet tee-shirts... :banghead:)

crna59
06-26-2017, 09:17 AM
Great article another instructor forwarded to me.

Riding In Hot Weather (https://www.fix.com/blog/motorcycle-riding-in-hot-weather/)