PDA

View Full Version : New Antenna- Loctite- Yes or No

Tango
06-25-2017, 10:41 AM
Put a new antenna on the top case of my F3 Limited. It says to blue loctite with a dab of it. Wondering if that is needed or not? :dontknow: Especially with Can Am's over use of it. :yikes: Tom :spyder:

BoilerAnimal
06-25-2017, 10:50 AM
In my opinion just about anything on a motorcycle needs blue Loctite as a minimum. If you don't overdo it, it's easy enough to remove a fastener with it on it. Better than dragging your antennae around!

PaladinLV
06-25-2017, 11:34 AM
My personal opinion is that anything carrying, voltage, current, or electromagnetic waves, should not be interfered with.
There is special goop for those type of items.
Nothing rattles and vibrates more then the internal mechanisms and electronics onboard a Warship at Sea and let me tell you . . . we NEVER used loctite or anything like it! ;)
But to each their own!

AJ

Put a new antenna on the top case of my F3 Limited. It says to blue loctite with a dab of it. Wondering if that is needed or not? :dontknow: Especially with Can Am's over use of it. :yikes: Tom :spyder:

billybovine
06-25-2017, 12:16 PM
If you do not use loctite you will lose the antenna. If you use too much it will interfere with reception. So a small drop is it.

Bob Denman
06-25-2017, 12:46 PM
Tom,
Why not try a star washer? :dontknow:

Tango
06-25-2017, 01:08 PM
Tom,

Bob, how will that help? :dontknow: Tom :spyder:

Tango
06-25-2017, 01:13 PM
My personal opinion is that anything carrying, voltage, current, or electromagnetic waves, should not be interfered with.
There is special goop for those type of items.
Nothing rattles and vibrates more then the internal mechanisms and electronics onboard a Warship at Sea and let me tell you . . . we NEVER used loctite or anything like it! ;)
But to each their own!

AJ

AJ you pulling our leg? Big ship will vibrate? Even a warship? I was Army so I'm clueless on water. :roflblack: Tom :spyder:

Easy Rider
06-25-2017, 02:18 PM
If you do not use loctite you will lose the antenna.

Only if you completely ignore it.

They don't fall off until after they have been loose for a LONG time.
During which time you should notice a LOT of static receiving and transmitting.

Don't use any kind of goop on it.
As a matter of fact, knowing the factory defect involved, you should clean the threads out good before putting the new one on too.

I've been doing the two-way radio thing for close to 50 years and have NEVER had an antenna come un-screwed.

Easy Rider
06-25-2017, 02:21 PM
Bob, how will that help? :dontknow: Tom :spyder:

The purpose of a star washer is....a lock washer.
When compressed, it resists coming loose.

Using the proper size is important.
The right one might help; the wrong one will make matters worse.

BoilerAnimal
06-25-2017, 02:25 PM
A properly sized star washer would be the best of both worlds. Very effective at keeping the fastener tight and nothing to impede electrical connectivity.

BLUEKNIGHT911
06-25-2017, 02:35 PM
Tom,
:agree::agree::agree: ....... There are two types ... inside teeth and outside teeth ..... I've seen the antennae post and I would get the one with the inside teeth .... get the smallest one that will go over the threads ....... Mike :thumbup:

Tango
06-25-2017, 06:03 PM
The purpose of a star washer is....a lock washer.
When compressed, it resists coming loose.

Using the proper size is important.
The right one might help; the wrong one will make matters worse.

Gotcha. :thumbup: Tom :spyder: