PDA

View Full Version : To loud

Spyder#353
04-29-2009, 03:00 PM
Installed my new TBR exhaust. Way to loud. I need a baffle.:helpsmilie: My neighbors will shoot me coming home at 2 am.:mad: And I can't blame them. anybody else have this problem? What did you do about it?:chat:

aubierules
04-29-2009, 03:19 PM
Installed my new TBR exhaust. Way to loud. I need a baffle.:helpsmilie: My neighbors will shoot me coming home at 2 am.:mad: And I can't blame them. anybody else have this problem? What did you do about it?:chat:
come home early :D

Diggittt
04-29-2009, 04:22 PM
look for P1 and P4 baffles for it. Check with some of our sponsors to see if they can get them for you if not than you can find them on ebay or call Two Brothers direct.

Diggittt

bone crusher
04-29-2009, 06:19 PM
Go ahead and yell at me but why do people want exhausts that are soooo loud that they definitely will make you deaf and they are a bother to everyone in your neighborhood? What am I missing? What is so great about becoming deaf???...literally!!!!!

I have the hindle and that is loud enough for me...many pipes are much, much louder...

There are many studies and articles about deafness due to motorcycles...in fact, many sites recommend using earplugs to lower the decibel level.

rkteck
04-29-2009, 06:35 PM
There are many studies and articles about deafness due to motorcycles...in fact, many sites recommend using earplugs to lower the decibel level.

Many what? and what about motorcycles? recommend what? Huhhh? Oh hell, I can't hear a damn thing you said! Just never mind then.

bone crusher
04-29-2009, 09:00 PM
Many what? and what about motorcycles? recommend what? Huhhh? Oh hell, I can't hear a damn thing you said! Just never mind then.

:roflblack::roflblack:

Case closed!

Diggittt
04-29-2009, 09:03 PM

Thats great.....

Diggittt

Diggittt
04-29-2009, 09:06 PM
:roflblack::roflblack:

Case closed!

Crusher in my case I have the TBP and I love the loudness if you will that the pipe gives off. I also think it is the best looking pipe for the spyder as of yet. I on the other hand enjoy being able to hear thats why I am getting baffels to lower the dbs.

Diggittt

Trickie Dick
04-29-2009, 09:09 PM
come home early :D
Might be the best advice I've read on this forum.:clap::ohyea::lecturef_smilie:

opticat
04-29-2009, 09:44 PM
Check out this link. Part number 005-P1

http://www.twobros.com/cgi-bin/shopper?preadd=action&key=005-P1

TBR claims a DB reduction of 4-5 dB.

Firefly
04-29-2009, 10:57 PM

Buy them a bulk case of ear plugs! :D

bone crusher
04-30-2009, 02:17 AM
Crusher in my case I have the TBP and I love the loudness if you will that the pipe gives off. I also think it is the best looking pipe for the spyder as of yet. I on the other hand enjoy being able to hear thats why I am getting baffels to lower the dbs.

Diggittt

excellent...wear earplugs...the excessive noise does cause deafness! :( The pipe does look really good!

Blackwidow74
04-30-2009, 02:52 AM
If I lived somewhere other than California I might not put a loud pipe on my spyder. I have the hindle on my spyder and love the sound, its not over 90db so I won't get a ticket. It also helps when I am next to cars, so they know I am there. I have been driving myself and did not see or hear a guy on a bike because he did not have a louder pipe on his bike. While I do agree some pipes are way to loud.

Aussie spyder
04-30-2009, 06:11 AM
Is there a baffle for a hindle exhaust.I bought the spyder second hand and the standard exhaust was replaced with a hindle. i dont like loud exhaust.

Greetings from down under Henk

M2Wild
04-30-2009, 07:05 AM
Is there a baffle for a hindle exhaust.I bought the spyder second hand and the standard exhaust was replaced with a hindle. i dont like loud exhaust.

Greetings from down under Henk

TBP is up there with the loudness meter. You should have gotten a Hindle instead. Even with Hindle my neighbor still says to me "so you took the bike out today huh?" They definitely notice the Hindle but still okay with it. I personally would not go any louder than a Hindle. No baffle for the Hindle ... next one down is the OEM exaust.

aubierules
04-30-2009, 07:33 AM
Go ahead and yell at me but why do people want exhausts that are soooo loud that they definitely will make you deaf and they are a bother to everyone in your neighborhood? What am I missing? What is so great about becoming deaf???...literally!!!!!

I have the hindle and that is loud enough for me...many pipes are much, much louder...

i have a stock can on the spyder....i used to have a 650 savage on which i had a jardine muffler...VERY LOUD.....while im not much into listening to it for myself, there is merit to having loud pipes in that people know u are there....that is definitely a fact..and it sounds sweet to some...i like the sound, but i would rather not sit on it all day...

different strokes....:thumbup:

Magic Man
04-30-2009, 07:43 AM
excellent...wear earplugs...the excessive noise does cause deafness! :( The pipe does look really good!

What? Can you please speak up? :shocked: LOL

NancysToy
04-30-2009, 08:18 AM
i have a stock can on the spyder....i used to have a 650 savage on which i had a jardine muffler...VERY LOUD.....while im not much into listening to it for myself, their is merit to having loud pipes in that people know u are there....that is definitely a fact..and it sounds sweet to some...i like the sound, but i would rather not sit on it all day...

That is actually not true. Recent studies have shown that the only thing that statistically improves motorcycle noticeability and visibility is hi-vis clothing, including bright helmets. The more visible, higher location of a brightly clothed rider, combined with the rider's movements, do attract attention. That does not come as a surprise to me. With loud stereo systems, passengers and other distractions, as well as cars designed to be far quieter inside than ever before, it is a gamble whether any noise can be sufficient to attract attention. Even if it is, do we really want to gamble that it will make us noticeable, instead of startling a driver and causing an adverse reaction?
-Scotty http://www.pmdawnonline.com/forum/images/smilies/velo.gif

aubierules
04-30-2009, 09:03 AM
That is actually not true. Recent studies have shown that the only thing that statistically improves motorcycle noticeability and visibility is hi-vis clothing, including bright helmets. The more visible, higher location of a brightly clothed rider, combined with the rider's movements, do attract attention. That does not come as a surprise to me. With loud stereo systems, passengers and other distractions, as well as cars designed to be far quieter inside than ever before, it is a gamble whether any noise can be sufficient to attract attention. Even if it is, do we really want to gamble that it will make us noticeable, instead of startling a driver and causing an adverse reaction?
I disagree....i have seen it first hand...when i rode up behind people on my "loud" bike, they were straining looking around trying to find me...on my bikes with no loud muffler, they didnt have a clue i was around...i throw studies out the window when my observations tell me otherwise

Firefly
04-30-2009, 10:47 AM
The Hindle isn't that loud - actually pretty mild compared to most HD's you hear on the road.

The Rotax runs better and cooler without that fugly stock can on it - that should be reason enough to get a Hindle or other.

As far as neighbors go - it's easy to be respectful of them - just go easy on the throttle until you get down the road a bit - and especially if coming home late at night.

I suppose you could get one of those electrontic remote baffle systems like the new Corvettes have - simple click on or off for loud or quiet.

bone crusher
04-30-2009, 09:03 PM
i have a stock can on the spyder....i used to have a 650 savage on which i had a jardine muffler...VERY LOUD.....while im not much into listening to it for myself, there is merit to having loud pipes in that people know u are there....that is definitely a fact..and it sounds sweet to some...i like the sound, but i would rather not sit on it all day...

I'm not sure the louder mufflers are that much more noticeable...if someone in a cage is listening to music loudly, they're not gonna hear you...

Color has been proven to be the most important factor in being seen...talk to the fire departments...they have all the stats on this...

I think the hindle is 'loud enough'...then again, this is all opinion. I'll go further by simply saying that knowing that loud mufflers WILL create deafness over time, I don't see the need to have one. Even if a louder pipe made people notice me more, I wouldn't use one at the expense of becoming deaf...bright colors alone will make me more visible...as Scotty pointed out, this has been studied...

NASCAR drivers use earplugs...there is a reason for this...loud pipes are beyond threshold for damage...earplugs should be worn...

Spyder#353
05-20-2009, 06:26 AM
:yes: My neighbor ask me the other day if I changed the muffler. He said the noise isn't that bad. I told him I put baffles in. I haven't done anything. :roflblack::roflblack::ohyea:

Dudley
05-20-2009, 09:00 AM

Very simple fact. I have always said noise distracts and can startle drivers and cause accidents. Cars don't use loud mufflers to make other drivers know they are there. Drive defensively, that's the key to survival

bone crusher
05-20-2009, 09:07 AM
Very simple fact. I have always said noise distracts and can startle drivers and cause accidents. Cars don't use loud mufflers to make other drivers know they are there. Drive defensively, that's the key to survival

Good point! :agree:

M2Wild
05-20-2009, 09:32 AM
Doing 70mph today on my way to work I noticed my Hindle noise is loud enough to make someone look back when they are about 25 yards ahead. Not bad !!!

SLO RYDER
05-20-2009, 11:07 AM
Bottom line loud exhausts just cause stupid laws to be invoked against us.

I was sitting in a out door cafe in Solvang CA when a bunch of bikes showed up. I noticed several customers remarking on how beautiful the bikes were as they were backing them into parking spots, then a few bikes started rapping their pipes. The conversations changed dramaticly to the negative.

I hope we don't legislate ourselves out of existence. Just my two cents!!

ingramwc
05-20-2009, 11:11 AM
If someone looked back from 25 yds. ahead, they saw you in the mirror, they did not hear you. If traveling at highway speeds you cannot hear
loud pipes behind you. I do not hear them until they are next to my vehicle. Best advice; Drive like you are invisible! Wear bright colors.
Just my $.02.

Wes

Director
05-20-2009, 12:32 PM
If someone looked back from 25 yds. ahead, they saw you in the mirror, they did not hear you. If traveling at highway speeds you cannot hear
loud pipes behind you. I do not hear them until they are next to my vehicle. Best advice; Drive like you are invisible! Wear bright colors.
Just my $.02.

Wes
:agree: IIRC, the Doppler Effect is the scientific explanation for this pheomenon. If you like the sound of loud pipes, that's fine, but please don't for a moment buy into the argument that they will somehow make you safer. For real safety, there is no substitute for situational awareness, scanning and planning well ahead, regularly checking your mirrors, and practising conspicuity in clothing and lighting.

Bruce

GaryTheBadger
05-20-2009, 01:03 PM
Can the Hindle be lowered to clear the Corbin / BRP / Givi hard cases?
Will the Hindle yield beter gas mileage? About how much?
Is there a less-expensive source for the Hindle besides BRP?

wyliec
05-20-2009, 03:51 PM
:agree: IIRC, the Doppler Effect is the scientific explanation for this pheomenon. If you like the sound of loud pipes, that's fine, but please don't for a moment buy into the argument that they will somehow make you safer. For real safety, there is no substitute for situational awareness, scanning and planning well ahead, regularly checking your mirrors, and practising conspicuity in clothing and lighting.

Bruce

:agree:

bjt
05-20-2009, 04:02 PM
Can the Hindle be lowered to clear the Corbin / BRP / Givi hard cases?
Will the Hindle yield beter gas mileage? About how much?
Is there a less-expensive source for the Hindle besides BRP?

The Hindle cleared my I7 Givi rack. It should be the same with the BRP and Givi brand racks. The Corbin bags move the mount for the exhaust lower so the Hindle will work with that setup also. If the Hindle does increase fuel economy, I'm sure its very small and probably offset by a change in your riding style with the more powerful sounding exhaust. :D

GaryTheBadger
05-21-2009, 10:55 AM
Thank you BJT.