PDA

View Full Version : Advisory - National Park Senior Pass price increase coming

IdahoMtnSpyder
06-19-2017, 02:19 PM
In case you're not aware of it's existence the Federal Government offers a lifetime Senior Pass to anyone 62 and older that grants free or reduced fee entrances into National Parks and Monuments. Currently the price is $10. However, the price is slated to increase to $80 for the lifetime pass, or $20 for a one year pass. The $20 will be credited toward the cost of the lifetime pass if you buy it later. The date for the change has not been set.

If you are now 62 or older and don't have the pass, and plan to visit a National Park, act now and get one. You'll pay for it many times over. If you reach 62 while the price is still $10, don't delay getting one.

You can get more info here: http://travel.aarp.org/articles-tips/articles/info-2016/national-parks-lifetime-pass-cost-increase.html

ARtraveler
06-19-2017, 02:24 PM
One of the good deals available for seniors. I have had the lifetime pass for years, and it has saved me many dollars for gaining entrance into many National Parks. If you have not jumped on this one--do it. :yes:

pegasus1300
06-19-2017, 03:15 PM
I bought mine almost 10 years ago,best deal I ever did. Love getting waved into the parks as I flash that pass.

Chasinsparks
06-19-2017, 03:31 PM
I receive a fee Lifetime Pass for being 100% Disable Veteran and I truly enjoy it. I also like the fact they give our seniors a discount, but I can't be mad at them for raising the price. Our National Parks are in need of repairs, and maintenance and just like the rest of no one wants to work for free. I personally always try to donate something and if time permits I try to volunteer. At a minimum, I always have a plastic bag to pick up any waste that may have blown away or left by others.

Copperman
06-19-2017, 05:00 PM
I got mine about 10 months ago. I haven't used it yet, but I can't wait till I do.

Indiana Ken
06-19-2017, 08:31 PM
Got ours a few years ago. One of the "good deals" out there.

TicketBait
06-19-2017, 08:57 PM
Thanks for the info, if you go to one of the sites listed and present the necessary documentation, do you get the pass that day?

canamjhb
06-19-2017, 09:07 PM
My wife and I have toured many years, each on our own bike. I have the pass, she does not. (Married a young'n) Going into national parks most of the time they let both of us in on my pass alone. Sometimes they would charge her but that usually happened when we got a trainee or new ranger. The seasoned rangers are easier on us old folks.

Chasinsparks
06-19-2017, 09:11 PM
For me, I just went to National Park and told them I want the lifetime pass, show them what they wanted and was handed it then.

Thanks for the info, if you go to one of the sites listed and present the necessary documentation, do you get the pass that day?

PrairieSpyder
06-19-2017, 09:27 PM
I've got mine. It's a great deal for us "oldsters"!

rustynail51
06-19-2017, 09:47 PM
got ours last year at teddy Roosevelt in North Dakota and it is great we just flash the pass and drive on

ARtraveler
06-19-2017, 10:22 PM
For me, I just went to National Park and told them I want the lifetime pass, show them what they wanted and was handed it then.

:agree: x 2. Got my pass while visiting Zion. Gave them the money, and I got the pass. :yes:

grandbug
06-19-2017, 10:44 PM
I got mine last year and used it once so far. We plan to use it later this summer when we go west.

ARNIE R
06-19-2017, 11:05 PM
Got mine a few years back when it was only $10.00. Use it about once every week or two.....enjoy it.

Cavman
06-20-2017, 12:59 PM
It's great when you just want to pass thru a National Park to get somewhere else and not have to pay the entrance fee. Mt. Zion NP comes to mind. A $45 fee! I went around.

I got one one of the Access Passes a few years ago. It was free. 'America The Beautiful' 'The National Parks and Federal Recreational Land Pass' is one the back of the cards. So, it covers a lot. If you purchase anything in the gift shops, show them the card and you may get a discount? It worked for me last year.

Several years ago I got the Georgia Lifetime Sportsman's License. I can hunt and fish with that.
It covers more areas than the G.O.R.P. or the Georgia Outdoor Recreational Pass for having fun in the GA Wildlife Managment Areas. Climbing, Geocaching, Caving, Bike riding, Hiking, etc.

LateLifeCrisis
06-20-2017, 01:51 PM
Again - another example of the great information and advice shared on this forum.

THANK YOU! :thumbup:

oldguyinTX
06-20-2017, 02:34 PM
Yep, we have one too. They do have a decal for motorcycles, but you have to get them annually, and you can only get them at sites that issue the senior pass. So far, I haven't done that.

DECALS
If you own an open-topped vehicle (jeep, motorcycle, etc.) you may obtain a free decal to attach to your vehicle that will serve as proof of payment at sites that don't have a staffed entrance station.

Decals are issued on annual basis, even for owners of lifetime Senior/Access passes
Decals are NOT valid for entry at staffed entrance sites - you MUST show your pass
Decals must be obtained in person and you must show the following: your Pass, driver's license and vehicle registration. The name on all three documents must match.