PDA

View Full Version : F3 Limited 0r RT Limited...

First Timer
06-15-2017, 10:37 AM
Hello everyone,

I currently own a 2016 RT Limited. Been looking at the new F3 Limited. My questions is, has anyone switched from their Rt's to a F3? If so any complaints or differences that your not happy with on the F3? Just kicking around the idea and any suggestions would be helpful in making my decision on switching over. Yes, I have rode a F3. Also, do a lot of 2 up with the wife, any complaints from anyone's riding partner about the difference?

Thanks for any input....

Bob Denman
06-15-2017, 10:42 AM
The RT's double-bucket gives the passenger a whole new realm of comfort... :thumbup:
But they also have a higher center of gravity, and you WILL feel the extra weight! nojoke
It's your choice! :dontknow:

Zip
06-15-2017, 10:45 AM
The RT has more storage

Saluda
06-15-2017, 10:51 AM
to us it was the RT. After the rides (multi day) it took us both about three seconds to decide.

Bob Denman
06-15-2017, 11:05 AM
I started out on an RT...
Once the F3 model came out: it was quickly apparent to me that the seating position wasn't going to be comfortable: I stayed put! :thumbup:

ABQSpyder
06-15-2017, 11:18 AM
First Timer

It's all about how it fits you and your rider it's your Butt not there's!
Had a RT my wife never did like it said it was uncomfortable and when the F3 came out she said hey that's nice!
27,000 miles later she still loves it so you be the judge not the nay sayers!
Had a BMW R1100RT before the Spyder and sold it at 98000 miles.
You choose!

ARtraveler
06-15-2017, 11:45 AM
You already have the RT version--which I refer to as the "touring couch." The F3 is going to be more of a "touring cruiser." Some that have switched, like it.

I could not get past the test sit on the F3T (and my dealer has one in the red I like so much). The ergos just do not fit me. It feels more like a HD Triglide (which I do not like).

You need a test ride to see if the change is going to benefit you. Looks wise--the F3 is pretty neat.

I have had three RT's now. I prefer to stay there. They have not done anything yet to make me change my ride.

Let us know what you do. :yes:

Bob Denman
06-15-2017, 11:49 AM
You already have the RT version--which I refer to as the "touring couch."
THIS... is a "touring couch" :D

ARtraveler
06-15-2017, 11:51 AM
THIS... is a "touring couch" :D

Neat, but I will not bite on that model. :roflblack: Even though its red. :roflblack:

Bob Denman
06-15-2017, 11:54 AM
;) I dunno...
It looks to have lots of potential! :D

First Timer
06-15-2017, 01:42 PM
Thanks for all of your input. Not sure what I'm going to do just kicking the idea around. I too like the looks of the F3. I have a friend that switched from his RT to the F3 but doesn't do much 2 up riding. Guess I'll have to go on a day trip with him and switch bikes out going and coming and see how the wife and I like the two, both different rides for sure.

pwm
06-15-2017, 07:15 PM
I do some but very little 2 up. I have ordered a F3 Limited and pick it up at Pitbul next week.

I really like my RT but I never could get comfortable after 300 miles or so. I have ridden the F3 although not over 50 miles at a time but it was much more comfortable to me. I do not think my wife will notice too much of a difference with the F3 Limited. Time will tell.

south GA Farm Boy
06-15-2017, 08:30 PM
Thanks for all of your input. Not sure what I'm going to do just kicking the idea around. I too like the looks of the F3. I have a friend that switched from his RT to the F3 but doesn't do much 2 up riding. Guess I'll have to go on a day trip with him and switch bikes out going and coming and see how the wife and I like the two, both different rides for sure.

Please be sure to look at all your options: You will first need to buy a larger windshield for the f-3, no GPS like your RT, no suspension switch to change your riding pressure, must have new spring on rear to carry extra weight, no up and down windshield when it goes to raining, etc. On the other hand, probably better handling, lower sitting position, better leg room for the driver, etc. check your options!

MikeT
06-15-2017, 08:53 PM
I think Spyder TV has a series of videos that give an in depth comparison of an F3 Limited and a RT Limited.

shroth
06-21-2017, 10:51 AM
Funny......I've been resisting posting about this. I traded my 2012 RTL for a 2016 F3L last month. I have to say that I can't ever see myself going back to an RT. Yes I lost some storage but I have an 622 trailer for those long trips.

The only way I can explain things is that I felt I sat on top of an RT. With the F3 I feel like I'm part of the bike. When we're 2 up, my wife say she feels lower, safer, & "less tippy".

I traded off a couple things like storage & wind noise but I'm replacing the windshield with the thousands I saved buying an F3 & I'm truly happier with the unit as a whole.

Bob Denman
06-21-2017, 11:03 AM
:D This whole question is an awful lot like the entire "Blondes, versus Brunettes, versus Redheads" debate.
Everyone knows that the only correct answer is "YES!!" :clap:

MikeT
06-21-2017, 12:35 PM
Funny......I've been resisting posting about this. I traded my 2012 RTL for a 2016 F3L last month. I have to say that I can't ever see myself going back to an RT.
Not an apples 2 apples comparison a 2012 is a 998 V-Twin. The 2016 is the 1330 triple. No doubt the new engine adds to your enjoyment. The F3 top case with amp and speakers does solve a number of F3 discrepencies with the RT. For 2-up long distance riding, we'll stick with our RT Limited.
Mike

Bob Denman
06-21-2017, 01:41 PM
So will we... the double-bucket seat and extra wind protection seals the deal for us! :D

bushrat
06-22-2017, 09:06 AM
We are still very new to Spyder-ing, so cannot comment on the basis of vast experience. However, we do have some thoughts, having just gone through wrestling with the choice of model to buy. We took our brief test rides, two up, on a newer (2016) RT Ltd. and (2017) F-3 Ltd. I think the truest comparison really exists only between the 2017 F-3 Ltd., because of the added top case and especially the up-grade BRP has made with the addition of automated electronic rear suspension. When we eventually decided on the 2017 F-3 Ltd., we added a GPS and arm rests. Price-wise, the difference came down to only a few hundred $$. So, our decision was really based only on personal comfort. Or, at least how we believed our butts and guts felt.

Both bikes were fun rides. My lady instinctively felt the RT was 'bigger' and perhaps not as reassuring as she wished. My biggest issue was that I felt my right leg was in an awkward or slightly cramped position when it came to braking. Also, my sciatic nerves ached when I sat on it - soreness in my hips. On the F-3 Ltd, I felt far more comfortable, and my extended right leg was much more free when applying the brake - kind of essential since there is no hand brake. Her ladyship enjoyed sitting on the pillion perch of the F-3 better; suspension was no problem since it was automatically adjusted without my intervention. Storage space is now almost equal between the models (RT has a bigger frunk, but two helmets fit easily into the F-3 top case). The F-3 is certainly breezier; I may consider going to an F4 windscreen. My gal likes the F-3 ride, its feel, even the wind; she also says she can look over my head instead of around the side of it, on the RT. My buying choice was made easier by her leanings to the F-3 Ltd. I should add that we plan to do mostly day trips, not extended, multi-day touring; that could impact a proper decision.

As the experienced ryders say: it's your butt; do your own thing. We're happy. We have only had the F-3 two whole weeks. There has been so damn much rain and poor weather, we've only managed about 4 rydes while two-up. Went about 35 miles, round-trip, for an ice cream, and another 55 miles for a fish and chip dinner. Yesterday was the first extended outing - 300 miles to visit friends for a birthday party. 4-1/2 hours there and the same back, with a couple of butt breaks along the way. Lots of back roads, big hills, flat farm land. No rain. A good day of fun, and lots to learn. Got close to 600 miles now, and will do the first check-up shortly. So far, so good. No complaints. Trying to keep the revs up and feeling out where the shift changes are most comfortable, without necessarily trying to go through the horn button as an intermediate step. Also learning where many of the other functions are - even though I have been through the manual, there's nothing like some road experience. Love the feel of the F-3; don't at all mind the 'twitchy' tendencies. To me, that's just the feel of the road. Let's me know that the bike and I are both alive to our surroundings, and that I'm not falling asleep.

Got to say a big 'Thanks' to all those who post on these Forum chats. Being a newbie, you have all added greatly to my pre-Spyder education. I try to read comments everyday. I often learn something new, and am fore-warned about issues I might not otherwise have thought about. Great informative site. Thanks to all.
Cheers.

Pirate looks at --
06-22-2017, 09:19 AM
The only way to tell is to do an extensive test drive. One thing to note is that the passenger site much higher in relation to the driver on the F3L, and with the stock Windshield there will be a lot more wind factors to deal with, and perhaps an after market Windshield! The adjustable Windshield on the RT is a real nice feature to help protect that passenger. Much more room on the RT, but until both of you get on both of them and put a few miles in you will not know what is right for you! Which ever one you choose, will put a smile on your face!:yes:

Pirate looks at --
06-22-2017, 09:33 AM
We are still very new to Spyder-ing, so cannot comment on the basis of vast experience. However, we do have some thoughts, having just gone through wrestling with the choice of model to buy. We took our brief test rides, two up, on a newer (2016) RT Ltd. and (2017) F-3 Ltd. I think the truest comparison really exists only between the 2017 F-3 Ltd., because of the added top case and especially the up-grade BRP has made with the addition of automated electronic rear suspension. When we eventually decided on the 2017 F-3 Ltd., we added a GPS and arm rests. Price-wise, the difference came down to only a few hundred $$. So, our decision was really based only on personal comfort. Or, at least how we believed our butts and guts felt.

Both bikes were fun rides. My lady instinctively felt the RT was 'bigger' and perhaps not as reassuring as she wished. My biggest issue was that I felt my right leg was in an awkward or slightly cramped position when it came to braking. Also, my sciatic nerves ached when I sat on it - soreness in my hips. On the F-3 Ltd, I felt far more comfortable, and my extended right leg was much more free when applying the brake - kind of essential since there is no hand brake. Her ladyship enjoyed sitting on the pillion perch of the F-3 better; suspension was no problem since it was automatically adjusted without my intervention. Storage space is now almost equal between the models (RT has a bigger frunk, but two helmets fit easily into the F-3 top case). The F-3 is certainly breezier; I may consider going to an F4 windscreen. My gal likes the F-3 ride, its feel, even the wind; she also says she can look over my head instead of around the side of it, on the RT. My buying choice was made easier by her leanings to the F-3 Ltd. I should add that we plan to do mostly day trips, not extended, multi-day touring; that could impact a proper decision.

As the experienced ryders say: it's your butt; do your own thing. We're happy. We have only had the F-3 two whole weeks. There has been so damn much rain and poor weather, we've only managed about 4 rydes while two-up. Went about 35 miles, round-trip, for an ice cream, and another 55 miles for a fish and chip dinner. Yesterday was the first extended outing - 300 miles to visit friends for a birthday party. 4-1/2 hours there and the same back, with a couple of butt breaks along the way. Lots of back roads, big hills, flat farm land. No rain. A good day of fun, and lots to learn. Got close to 600 miles now, and will do the first check-up shortly. So far, so good. No complaints. Trying to keep the revs up and feeling out where the shift changes are most comfortable, without necessarily trying to go through the horn button as an intermediate step. Also learning where many of the other functions are - even though I have been through the manual, there's nothing like some road experience. Love the feel of the F-3; don't at all mind the 'twitchy' tendencies. To me, that's just the feel of the road. Let's me know that the bike and I are both alive to our surroundings, and that I'm not falling asleep.

Got to say a big 'Thanks' to all those who post on these Forum chats. Being a newbie, you have all added greatly to my pre-Spyder education. I try to read comments everyday. I often learn something new, and am fore-warned about issues I might not otherwise have thought about. Great informative site. Thanks to all.
Cheers.

Couple of thoughts, unlike the earlier models of Spyders, the 1330 is not such a high rev engine. The 998 was a power plant that you wanted to keep at 5000 revs and above. Depending on how aggressive you are ryding, you will shift the F3L at 3500 to 4000 rpms. As for the twitchyness, that is probably you not the motorcycle. Relax the grip on the bars and that should go away (unless you are out of alignment). If you pretend that you have an egg in your hands and you don't want to break it, that is the type of grip you need. You steering motion in turns is to push with the outside hand and outside leg (pushing down on the outside floorboard) and pulling with the inside hand, and quite frankly you can do that without even closing your grip on either hand. As for rain, get some frog toggs and ryde in the rain. If you intend to do any touring on that motorcycle, you are going to run in to it, and practice makes perfect! This machine handles the rain and says....."is that all you got?"

Tango
06-22-2017, 09:34 AM
Having owned a 14 RTS and traded to a F3 Limited. I also will not be going back! We added the rear top case and the storage is awesome. And MUCH more usable! Add in a F4 tall and wide W/S and wind protection rivals any other. Handling is sportier, braking feels quicker. Ergonomics are much more easy to adjust or change! Feels more like you are in the bike rather than on top of it. :thumbup: Tom :spyder:

Pirate looks at --
06-22-2017, 09:40 AM
Having owned a 14 RTS and traded to a F3 Limited. I also will not be going back! We added the rear top case and the storage is awesome. And MUCH more usable! Add in a F4 tall and wide W/S and wind protection rivals any other. Handling is sportier, braking feels quicker. Ergonomics are much more easy to adjust or change! Feels more like you are in the bike rather than on top of it. :thumbup: Tom :spyder:
Tom,

Do you feel like the top case altered the performance or handling at all? It looks kind of clunky, but after traveling 7000 miles to Homecoming I could have used the extra storage!

Tango
06-22-2017, 11:05 AM
Tom,

Do you feel like the top case altered the performance or handling at all? It looks kind of clunky, but after traveling 7000 miles to Homecoming I could have used the extra storage!

Still fairly new to us. But so far I have not noticed any difference at all. Trunk is very wide and deep. Wife loves the backrest, and the storage. Expensive, but worth it. :thumbup: Tom :spyder:

MikeT
06-22-2017, 11:26 AM
Still fairly new to us. But so far I have not noticed any difference at all. Trunk is very wide and deep. Wife loves the backrest, and the storage. Expensive, but worth it. :thumbup: Tom :spyder:
Tommy G,
Have you gotten your top case art work done??????
Mike

bushrat
06-22-2017, 11:51 AM
Couple of thoughts, unlike the earlier models of Spyders, the 1330 is not such a high rev engine. The 998 was a power plant that you wanted to keep at 5000 revs and above. Depending on how aggressive you are ryding, you will shift the F3L at 3500 to 4000 rpms. As for the twitchyness, that is probably you not the motorcycle. Relax the grip on the bars and that should go away (unless you are out of alignment). If you pretend that you have an egg in your hands and you don't want to break it, that is the type of grip you need. You steering motion in turns is to push with the outside hand and outside leg (pushing down on the outside floorboard) and pulling with the inside hand, and quite frankly you can do that without even closing your grip on either hand. As for rain, get some frog toggs and ryde in the rain. If you intend to do any touring on that motorcycle, you are going to run in to it, and practice makes perfect! This machine handles the rain and says....."is that all you got?"

Pirate.... As for revs, I do understand the difference between the V-twin and the 1330 Triple. I just meant that, while breaking in, I'm doing my best to 'feel' the engine out and not lug it. I was always taught never to ride with too low revs. Also, do not believe in teaching an engine to be 'lazy'. However, I'm far from an abuser. I doubt whether I've yet been above 5000 rpm. I don't like ryding below 2500, and usually not much below 3000. I am finding my shifts are very comfortable in the 3500 - 4000 range, as you suggest. The bike seems to like it, sounds good and moves between gears very smoothly. I will put on another 200 miles or so before I really try to wind it up a bit. Top speed so far, and only briefly, about 65-70 mph for a few minutes, but mostly quieter cruising as things get settled in. I change up the revs to keep pushing the oil through the works. In town, I'm barely out of 2nd, maybe into 3rd gear; highway riding has been 5th, with sometimes using 6th. That will come as the miles progress.

As for my grip, I try to ride fairly open-handed. I'm not squeezing, and I do the turns as you suggest. When I say 'twitchy', I'm really only referring to the obvious sensitivity of the machine to the changing road conditions. It does sense the road camber; it does feel surface changes. But I expect that, and enjoy it. Slight twitches or sensitivity don't bother me as it does some other newer riders. If my bike was 'jerking' or pulling to one side, I would be concerned. But being sensitive, and 'feeling' the road beneath me is what I want it to be doing. I let the bike have its head, just like a sure-footed old horse; ride with a looser rein and trust. I do, and we're having fun. We have the rain gear; wife had it on yesterday, although more to keep out the cool air. No wet to speak of.

We're learning to Spyder, having fun, and appreciate the encouragement from you and others.
Cheers.

Tango
06-22-2017, 05:27 PM
Tommy G,
Have you gotten your top case art work done??????
Mike

Not yet Mike. Ali is looking for some clear vinyl that she can reverse paint. Then put it on. :shemademe_smilie: Tom :spyder: