PDA

View Full Version : Custom fitting of helmet

UtahPete
06-13-2017, 12:16 PM
My wife and I both experience some discomfort of our ears on a long ride; there just is not enough room at that place on the helmet (HJC modular). I'm thinking of removing, compressing or melting a section of the foam around the ears to provide more room there without compromising the fit (which is excellent) everywhere else.

Has anyone had this issue? If so, how did you solve it?

Thought I'd see if there is any wisdom on this before I start on it.

Bob Denman
06-13-2017, 12:21 PM
You can use a tablespoon to compress stuff up in there...
DON'T try to melt it! nojoke

UtahPete
06-13-2017, 12:25 PM
DON'T try to melt it! nojoke

Why do you say that?

pegasus1300
06-13-2017, 12:29 PM
I have had a problem with pressure on the forehead on a few helmets and used the spoon trick mentioned above. Don't try to melt anything,I don't believe you can accurately control the reaction. You probably don't need very much change so go slow. Maybe the pads need to be changed to a smaller pad. I know HJC makes different size pads so contact then directly (google them.)

UtahPete
06-13-2017, 12:54 PM
I have had a problem with pressure on the forehead on a few helmets and used the spoon trick mentioned above. Don't try to melt anything,I don't believe you can accurately control the reaction. You probably don't need very much change so go slow. Maybe the pads need to be changed to a smaller pad. I know HJC makes different size pads so contact then directly (google them.)

The different size pads are to adjust around the cheeks and crown; there are no pads around the ears.

I was thinking of heating the spoon a little to make the compression easier and more permanent. Don't worry; I know the foam is there for a good reason!

Bob Denman
06-13-2017, 01:28 PM
1. What if the helmet goes up in flames? :yikes:
2. Adding that much heat could affect the structural integrity of more of the foam than you think...

...or even the shell itself! :yikes:

UtahPete
06-13-2017, 01:38 PM
1. What if the helmet goes up in flames? :yikes:
2. Adding that much heat could affect the structural integrity of more of the foam than you think...

...or even the shell itself! :yikes:

Oh, I see what you are concerned about. I wasn't planning on using an open flame! If I'm that dumb, I probably don't need a helmet at all. My father used to say "no sense, no feeling".

Some places I found on the internet talked about using a heated spoon or some other piece of metal to gently 'melt' (i.e. soften and depress) the foam. I should have been more specific!

Questions
06-13-2017, 01:45 PM
My wife and I both experience some discomfort of our ears on a long ride; there just is not enough room at that place on the helmet (HJC modular). I'm thinking of removing, compressing or melting a section of the foam around the ears to provide more room there without compromising the fit (which is excellent) everywhere else.

I had this problem on an HJC modular, especially on one ear which is a bit higher than the other. Tried compressing the foam with a tool (heat is not necessary). But what really fixed the problem was buying a Shoei Neotec.

SteveLaoyster
06-13-2017, 01:55 PM
I have a Scorpion modular with plenty of room in the ear area. I even have my 20s speakers in there and still have room.

Cheek pads are very thick though & presses a lot when the helmet is closed.

Makes it hard to close my mouth but it's getting better as I wear the helmet more.

UtahPete
06-13-2017, 02:02 PM
I had this problem on an HJC modular, especially on one ear which is a bit higher than the other. Tried compressing the foam with a tool (heat is not necessary). But what really fixed the problem was buying a Shoei Neotec.

I'm beginning to realize that the HJC may just be shaped wrong for our heads. We just got them and I hate to think we wasted all that money. If I can't figure out how to get some relief from the ear pressure though, we may just have to bite the bullet and shop around some more.

Bob Denman
06-13-2017, 02:23 PM
Oh, I see what you are concerned about. I wasn't planning on using an open flame! If I'm that dumb, I probably don't need a helmet at all. My father used to say "no sense, no feeling".

Some places I found on the internet talked about using a heated spoon or some other piece of metal to gently 'melt' (i.e. soften and depress) the foam. I should have been more specific!
I don't think that I was thinking specifically about using an open flame...
...Although there are some really creative Darwin Award Candidates always waiting to be discovered! :D
I was thinking that it might be tough to keep the heat level at just the bare minimum necessary to modify the exact amount of foam necessary...

Road-Kill
06-13-2017, 02:33 PM
Every helmet I have purchased gets placed on my lap and I gently beat the Styrofoam with a hammer till it fits my nugget like a glove.

UtahPete
06-13-2017, 02:46 PM
Every helmet I have purchased gets placed on my lap and I gently beat the Styrofoam with a hammer till it fits my nugget like a glove.

That's one way to do it I suppose!

wrb3004
06-13-2017, 02:52 PM
I have a G-Max helmet that was tight on my forhead and left a red spot. I took the liner out and shaved some of the styrofoam out with a dremel tool. This worked well for me. Never thought about using a spoon but will try that next time.

SteveLaoyster
06-13-2017, 03:18 PM
Every helmet I have purchased gets placed on my lap and I gently beat the Styrofoam with a hammer till it fits my nugget like a glove.Wish I could do that with my cheek pads. Maybe I should try taking out some of the stuffing if I can.

UtahPete
06-13-2017, 03:26 PM
Wish I could do that with my cheek pads. Maybe I should try taking out some of the stuffing if I can.

I found this advice about helmet fitment at RevZilla.com to be helpful in understanding why helmets need to fit a certain way; https://www.revzilla.com/common-tread/motorcycle-helmet-fitment-101

jaybird1
06-13-2017, 04:00 PM

My right ear hurts on long rides and I have the 20s. I tried all kind of things to no avail. Good question, I will be following this closely.

UtahPete
06-13-2017, 04:10 PM
My right ear hurts on long rides and I have the 20s. I tried all kind of things to no avail. Good question, I will be following this closely.

Yep, I have the Sena20S too; I think the speakers are the problem. Just too thick. They have some velcro backing and such; will try to remove those and see if I can fit them deeper into the small helmet cavity.

RinconRyder
06-13-2017, 04:24 PM
The different size pads are to adjust around the cheeks and crown; there are no pads around the ears.

I was thinking of heating the spoon a little to make the compression easier and more permanent. Don't worry; I know the foam is there for a good reason!

I had the same problem with my Kabuto helmet. Getting the next size smaller cheek pads solved the problem. On the Kabuto the cheek pads just snap in and out so relatively easy fix. New pads were about $22.

You can use the spoon method on the "hard" foam (forehead area) and you should be OK but don't apply any heat or you risk melting the foam (or distorting it). You need a consistent fit across your forehead for adequate protection in the event of a collision.

UtahPete
06-13-2017, 04:36 PM
Yep, I have the Sena20S too; I think the speakers are the problem. Just too thick. They have some velcro backing and such; will try to remove those and see if I can fit them deeper into the small helmet cavity.

Well, what I found is that the Sena came with a multitude of pads in different thicknesses that attach with velcro behind the speaker, then to the velcro on the helmet itself. I was using the middle thickness (see picture) pad. I removed those pads completely and just put a thin supplied velcro patch (see picture) behind the speaker. This put each hard surfaced speaker about 1/4" closer to the helmet and away from the ear. It feels better already. I'll try that for awhile and hopefully avoid having to squash the foam liner of the helmet altogether.

H2O
06-14-2017, 11:39 AM
I know there will be people who wag their fingers and say I'm committing some sin against the helmet gods, that's OK, it's my head not theirs. I cut out a circular section of the Styrofoam for the speakers to sit in. They are then underneath the soft liner in the ear cavities. No pressure on the ears.

H2O

UtahPete
06-14-2017, 11:46 AM
I know there will be people who wag their fingers and say I'm committing some sin against the helmet gods, that's OK, it's my head not theirs. I cut out a circular section of the Styrofoam for the speakers to sit in. They are then underneath the soft liner in the ear cavities. No pressure on the ears.

H2O

In my helmet, there is actually a depression in the polystyrene liner for the speakers. I thought I might have to deepen that depression somewhat because the speakers as they came out of the package seemed too thick for the existing depression. But, now I've removed the extra padding on the back of the speakers, they seem to fit okay in the depression.

My older HJC helmets from 10 years back didn't have an accommodation for the speakers; the newer HJC helmets we got do have that.

ThreeWheels
06-14-2017, 01:55 PM
There is the polystyrene layer and sometimes a plastic cover on the inside of the helmet.
On my helmet, I had to reshape the depression for the helmet speakers. I separated the plastic cover from the polystyrene. Then I cut a small amount of the polystyrene from around my ear. Next I used my heat gun to soften the plastic inner liner to match the profile of the new cut out in the polystyrene. Cut the foam, don't try to melt it.
Seems like a lot of work but I'm very good with my hands. (Ladies please take note, I'm still looking for a date for SpyderQuest).

2Paw
06-14-2017, 02:52 PM
I found this advice about helmet fitment at RevZilla.com to be helpful in understanding why helmets need to fit a certain way; https://www.revzilla.com/common-tread/motorcycle-helmet-fitment-101

That's the best explanation of how to fit a helmet I've ever read. I knew most of that because of experience, but there were a few new things in there, and it's all in one place.

cuznjohn
06-14-2017, 03:53 PM
again no one said the best answer, cut off your ears.

UtahPete
06-14-2017, 04:00 PM
again no one said the best answer, cut off your ears.

Might as well. I'm mostly deaf anyway.

cuznjohn
06-14-2017, 04:09 PM

LMAOOOOOOO

jaybird1
06-14-2017, 04:46 PM
Well, what I found is that the Sena came with a multitude of pads in different thicknesses that attach with velcro behind the speaker, then to the velcro on the helmet itself. I was using the middle thickness (see picture) pad. I removed those pads completely and just put a thin supplied velcro patch (see picture) behind the speaker. This put each hard surfaced speaker about 1/4" closer to the helmet and away from the ear. It feels better already. I'll try that for awhile and hopefully avoid having to squash the foam liner of the helmet altogether.

I did exactly as you said and changed to the smaller pad, WOW! It made a huge difference and I believe I can save the other half of my ear! Thanks :bowdown:

Bdomini
06-14-2017, 05:01 PM
I have custom fit my Shoei helmet by changing the crown liner and the cheek pads. It is a lot less expensive than replacing the entire helmet.

JayBros
06-14-2017, 05:13 PM

Although I have an SMH10 in my Shoei Neotec I had problems with the speakers and my ear plugs giving me pain after a couple of hours. I fiddled with the speaker placement until I thought I was going to go nuts but I finally got them positioned exactly in the recessions where they are perfect for me. I mean I was diddling with them down to a milimeter at a time in different directions but it was well worth the effort. I'm not a patient individual either.

UtahPete
06-14-2017, 05:18 PM
I did exactly as you said and changed to the smaller pad, WOW! It made a huge difference and I believe I can save the other half of my ear! Thanks :bowdown:

Good. I'm glad it worked out for you.

Bob Denman
06-14-2017, 05:43 PM
Yeah... but now how are you going to keep your reading glasses in place? :dontknow:

UtahPete
06-14-2017, 06:14 PM
Yeah... but now how are you going to keep your reading glasses in place? :dontknow:

That's a different thread

SteveLaoyster
06-14-2017, 08:37 PM
UtahPete

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/images/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by SteveLaoyster http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/images/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1268649#post1268649)
Wish I could do that with my cheek pads. Maybe I should try taking out some of the stuffing if I can.

I found this advice about helmet fitment at RevZilla.com to be helpful in understanding why helmets need to fit a certain way; https://www.revzilla.com/common-trea...et-fitment-101 (https://www.revzilla.com/common-tread/motorcycle-helmet-fitment-101)

That's the best explanation of how to fit a helmet I've ever read. I knew most of that because of experience, but there were a few new things in there, and it's all in one place.:agree: and according to that explanation is exactly how my helmet fits. Thanks.