PDA

View Full Version : Extended Warranties

SteveandBelinda
06-12-2017, 01:35 AM
I have the B.E.S.T. Warranty on my 14 RTL right now, but runs out in August. I have the option of getting max 2 more years with current warrany company, or was told by Pitbull that they now also carry Riders Advantage, which they can give me 5 years for another $150. over the BEST warranty.
Does anyone have the Riders Advantage and what do you think of it. Talked to the company and they stated that they cover more items than BEST does. I only have little over a month to decide and would like to hear some opinions .

jtoro1
06-12-2017, 06:31 AM
I am going with the same company and buying it with pitbull I have checked them out it's a good deal and if you sell your bike the years you did not use I get your money back best does not do that

viperryder
06-12-2017, 06:34 AM
I also purchased the extended warranty from Pit Bull and am happy with it. For $884 I have complete coverage for 60 months. Great

jcthorne
06-12-2017, 09:01 AM
I will not buy the aftermarket extended warranty coverage. Been there, done that, got the worthless bird cage liners to show for it. These aftermarket coverages are great peace of mind right up to the point you need them. Then the small print and weasel clauses leave you with the bill. Or they just declare bankruptcy and move on opening another business under an ever so slightly different name and leaving you with worthless paper. Nope, never again. OEM or none.

Read around here, you will find plenty of cases where Riders Edge and a number of other extended service contracts proved worthless. BRP is not always fun to deal with. They can be slow and a bureaucracy of the first order, but they nearly always do the right thing in the end. And, as long as they are building bikes, your coverage will be good.

Avoid the aftermarket warranties. Money down the drain.

Tango
06-12-2017, 10:40 AM
We have first hand knowledge of aftermarket warranties. Had one on the wife's truck. They went belly up when we needed them. BUTT!! We paid with a CC.. Turns out they had to post a $500,000 CC. bond at that time. They reopened, change the name, but used the same address and bond. We got ALL of our money back at no cost to us. Not saying anything about "Riders Edge". Pay with a CC. to protect yourself. :thumbup: Tom :spyder:

UtahPete
06-12-2017, 11:23 AM
I have the B.E.S.T. Warranty on my 14 RTL right now, but runs out in August. I have the option of getting max 2 more years with current warrany company, or was told by Pitbull that they now also carry Riders Advantage, which they can give me 5 years for another $150. over the BEST warranty.
Does anyone have the Riders Advantage and what do you think of it. Talked to the company and they stated that they cover more items than BEST does. I only have little over a month to decide and would like to hear some opinions .

If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. Third-party coverage is only as good as the company that stands behind it, so it's up to you to investigate the company, read and understand all their fine print. The dealer or reseller that sells you the coverage is not the one you turn to when things go haywire.

Generally speaking, these 3rd party warranties aren't worth the paper they are printed on.

Chupaca
06-12-2017, 12:19 PM
Have had good and bad experiences with extended non manufacturing companies. I have found that through my time on this earth that I have never had to use warranties on products. I have had my share of recalls that were handled by the manufacturer. They now offer extended warranties on just about anything you buy. Guess it is a price for peace of mind and a lack of faith in the products we buy. It is gambling pure and simple and the house always wins. Again if you are site such as this one I can see where you want to get covered....I wouldn't think Pit Bull would sell this if not a upstanding company....:dontknow:

SpyderAnn01
06-12-2017, 01:03 PM
If you are traveling and use the Riders Edge will any other dealer accept it or will you have to pay for repairs and then be reimbursed? I know that if I take my Spyder to any dealer they will make repairs and I pay only $50.

ARtraveler
06-12-2017, 02:41 PM
Another vote on the pile for BEST (BRP) or nothing. The stories are true, take the customers money (and they are very profitable to the seller), deny the claim, file bankruptcy, go out of business, and come back in a new guise.

At six years old our 2011 has never needed more than oil, filters, and checkovers. No additional warranties. If I need major work, it will be time to decide on fixing it, or junking it. Depends on the situation.

Likewise on the 2014--I have BEST until next April 30. Once again, oil, filters, checkovers and no major repairs.

Likewise on credit life and gap insurance. Put in enough down payment and you don't need gap. If you die--that is their problem, not yours. :roflblack::roflblack:

SteveandBelinda
06-13-2017, 09:08 AM
Ann,
Yes they will. I talked to the company and they said that if a dealer doesn't want to accept the warranty, that Riders Advantage will pay the dealer over the phone with CC. I don't know if everyone is getting the name wrong or not. I see some of the posts saying "Riders Edge", where the one I am referring to that Pit Bull suggested, is "Rider Advantage". PitBull told me that most of the people that are buying new bikes from them are taking the Riders Advantage over the B.E.S.T. warranty.

They also explained that they cover more items than BEST does. Here is the list she sent me of the items that are "EXCLUDED" from the warranty, and would not be covered.

Vanessa Robins <vanessa@riders-advantage.com> (vanessa@riders-advantage.com)Tosteveandbelinda@yahoo.com

Jun 9 at 11:51 AM

Hi Steve,

Thank you for the call day. Please let me know if you have any other questions.

II. NON-COVERED PARTS: Non-Covered parts include:

a. Antenna and Mirrors

b. Audio Speakers and wiring, cellular telephone

c. Battery, fuses and fusible links

d. Belts, Hoses, Lines and Clamps

e. Body Parts, windshield and its mounts

f. Brake Pads

g. Exhaust system rust out or discoloration

h. Fairing (except those parts listed in A-XIII above

i. Filters and housings

j. Final drive chain or belt

k. Frame (except integral oil/fuel tanks)

l. Glass, lenses, sealed beams and light bulbs

m. Mufflers or baffles

n. Sidecar (except for those parts listed in A-XIII above)

o. Spark plugs and Spark plug wires

p. Tires, wheels and spokes, unless

1. Your purchase of this Agreement included Optional Tire and Wheel Coverage, and;

2. Damage is due to a Breakdown or Road Hazard Event

q. Trailer hitch

r. Trim, Upholstery and paint

Warmest regards,

Vanessa Robins
Powersports Development Manager
Riders Advantage
(417)293-0488

If you are traveling and use the Riders Edge will any other dealer accept it or will you have to pay for repairs and then be reimbursed? I know that if I take my Spyder to any dealer they will make repairs and I pay only $50.

trikerbiker645
06-13-2017, 10:39 AM
I was in dealership auto repair business as a tech and manager for 28 plus years. If it wasnt a factory warranty it was trouble for everybody. Dealership management finally quit doing them. We would do repairs, but they had to pay us to get their vehicle back. They would then have to get thei r money back from the warranty company. Safe riding!

jcthorne
06-13-2017, 01:05 PM
I was in dealership auto repair business as a tech and manager for 28 plus years. If it wasnt a factory warranty it was trouble for everybody. Dealership management finally quit doing them. We would do repairs, but they had to pay us to get their vehicle back. They would then have to get thei r money back from the warranty company. Safe riding!

MANY dealers work this way. Never again an aftermarket warranty.

SteveandBelinda
06-13-2017, 10:16 PM
Like someone else said, with Pitbulls excellent reputation, I would not think that they would push an extended warranty company if it was not a good one.

jcthorne
06-14-2017, 06:48 AM
May be good at Pitbull but others have already experienced its lack of acceptance / coverage away from MO.

Do not buy an aftermarket service contract unless you fully intend to ONLY return to the selling dealer for service and never travel out of town. Even then, just avoid aftermarket contracts.

Highwayman2013
06-14-2017, 08:06 AM
We had the BEST warranty on our last spyder and when we got a new one this year we bought 3 years at the time of purchase. It just works.

Indiana Ken
09-11-2017, 11:57 AM
Ok, I have the BEST warranty. My 3 year extended runs out next month. (2012RT SE5) 2 year factory + 36 mth. BEST.
The Spyder has to many potential concerns that I dont feel good going without coverage. Reading the forums, it sometimes feels like people trade them in for new bikes when their warranty runs out. That is not my situation. I love my 2012 and expect to keep it. I have had BEST warranty work done, with no problems.

Since the Spyder is still a new to market bike, why doesnt BEST sell more extended coverage especially since their service dealer network is sketchy. I would think that BRP would want to be known as a great support company .

I can buy a Hyundai with 10 year / 100,000 mile warranty. BRP can sell better warranty, if they believe in their product.