PDA

View Full Version : DIY Skidplate

JerryB
06-11-2017, 10:16 PM
Hi folks,

There is another thread on here: Made 4 skid plates today for RS/GS

So I contacted David Hamilton & he sent me a paper template for what he made.

This gave me a starting point to begin the project.

I then removed the undercarriage cover & started measuring.

I will try to post a drawing of the dimensions that I made my DIY Skidplate to when I get it completed; hopefully in a few days.

I bought a piece of 3/8" thick HDPE from a local supplier, cut to 24" x 24", for $24.00.

Using some measurements from David's paper template, I cut the HDPE to 520 mm wide by 510 mm tall.

From the existing undercarriage cover I got the distance on the holes and laid out my piece of HDPE.

I then drilled the 6 holes with a 1/8" drill bit & then with a 9/64" drill bit & tried a test fitup. All the holes were within a tolerance that I could bolt my piece of HDPE to the Spyder.

I then added more masking tape, reinstalled it onto the Spyder and drew a line around the nose of the frunk. I made a small 3/8" ( 10 mm ) spacer to add some distance for damage control should I hit anything with the skidplate.

I then decided to make a plywood template as I did not want to ruin my only piece of HDPE. I re-laid everything out onto the plywood & went over to a friend who is a very accomplished wood worker. He cut the plywood on his bandsaw & sanded it smooth with his table disc sander. The nose of the frunk is not a set radius; I really do not know what BRP used for the dimensions.

I got home with my piece of plywood, fitted it up and decided to go for cutting the HDPE.

I had a good router with a few cutters; and had at it. After cutting out the pattern using the plywood template, I took a small router bit & rounded the piece of HDPE on the top & bottom sides so that I would not have sharp edges on it.

Here are some more photos:

Fitting the piece of HDPE with a lot of masking tape to trace the contour of the nose of the frunk)

Finished piece of HDPE)

As installed)

Since I can only upload 5 photos, I'll do the other one in a reply to this post.

If anyone has any questions, fire away. If anyone wants any help on a project like this, just get in touch.

I cannot thank David Hamilton enough for his help on this DIY Skidplate project.

Jerry Baumchen

JerryB
06-11-2017, 10:24 PM
Hi folks,

Here is the last photo; this is of the plywood template.

I have drawn the dimensions on it. All of the dimensions are in metric. Google will translate them to US measurements for you.

Also, I decided that the factory bolts would not be long enough due to the thickness of the HDPE. So I went up to my local Ace Hardware store & bought 6 button-head, Allen drive bolts that are about 1/4" longer than the factory bolts. I also bought washers to use with the new bolts.

I then decided that the center two bolts only distort the HDPE skidplate so I left them off. I will fill in the two center holes with a plug; just another trip to Ace Hardware.

I hope that this helps some of you who might want to tackle such a project.

For me, it was fun; and I am satisfied with the results.

I have never seen the professionally made skidplate, but I am sure it might be better than how mine turned out. But at a cost of just $30.00, I'm OK with the results.

Jerry Baumchen

PS) The plywood template will allow me to make another one very easily & much quicker.

Warlock
06-11-2017, 10:25 PM
Hi folks,

There is another thread on here: Made 4 skid plates today for RS/GS

So I contacted David Hamilton & he sent me a paper template for what he made.

This gave me a starting point to begin the project.

I then removed the undercarriage cover & started measuring.

I will try to post a drawing of the dimensions that I made my DIY Skidplate to when I get it completed; hopefully in a few days.

I bought a piece of 3/8" thick HDPE from a local supplier, cut to 24" x 24", for $24.00.

Using some measurements from David's paper template, I cut the HDPE to 520 mm wide by 510 mm tall.

From the existing undercarriage cover I got the distance on the holes and laid out my piece of HDPE.

I then drilled the 6 holes with a 1/8" drill bit & then with a 9/64" drill bit & tried a test fitup. All the holes were within a tolerance that I could bolt my piece of HDPE to the Spyder.

I then added more masking tape, reinstalled it onto the Spyder and drew a line around the nose of the frunk. I made a small 3/8" ( 10 mm ) spacer to add some distance for damage control should I hit anything with the skidplate.

I then decided to make a plywood template as I did not want to ruin my only piece of HDPE. I re-laid everything out onto the plywood & went over to a friend who is a very accomplished wood worker. He cut the plywood on his bandsaw & sanded it smooth with his table disc sander. The nose of the frunk is not a set radius; I really do not know what BRP used for the dimensions.

I got home with my piece of plywood, fitted it up and decided to go for cutting the HDPE.

I had a good router with a few cutters; and had at it. After cutting out the pattern using the plywood template, I took a small router bit & rounded the piece of HDPE on the top & bottom sides so that I would not have sharp edges on it.

Here are some more photos:

Fitting the piece of HDPE with a lot of masking tape to trace the contour of the nose of the frunk)

Finished piece of HDPE)

As installed)

Since I can only upload 5 photos, I'll do the other one in a reply to this post.

If anyone has any questions, fire away. If anyone wants any help on a project like this, just get in touch.

I cannot thank David Hamilton enough for his help on this DIY Skidplate project.

Jerry Baumchen

looks good, and can't beat the price for protection.
David

JerryB
06-11-2017, 10:31 PM
Hi David,

Re: can't beat the price for protection

That is right!!!!!!!!

:yes:

I'll send your paper template back to you; someone else might want it.

Jerry Baumchen

PS) I consider skidplates as sacrificial items; they are there to take the damage so your Spyder doesn't. My plywood template allows me to make a replacement one quickly.

Chupaca
06-11-2017, 10:57 PM
Nicely done Jerry...well planned out and with that little push you made it happen...:2thumbs: and you followed the golden rule...measure twice...cut once..:clap:

Haze
06-11-2017, 11:01 PM
Hi David,

That is right!!!!!!!!

Jerry Baumchen

PS) I consider skidplates as sacrificial items; they are there to take the damage so your Spyder doesn't. My plywood template allows me to make a replacement one quickly.

Very nice job.
It looks good and I like the price.

Crisis
06-12-2017, 04:40 AM
Hi David,

That is right!!!!!!!!

Jerry Baumchen

Big shout out to David who also sent me the template!!!

Buckeye Bleau
06-12-2017, 04:47 AM
Very good work, nicely done. I could not help but notice in the finished product picture that this was another job done out of necessity. This should serve you well!

Bravo! :clap:

Joe

JerryB
06-12-2017, 01:01 PM
Hi folks,

Here is a drawing that I have made of how I built my DIY Skidplate.

I tried to upload this as a pdf file but could not. So here it is as a picture.

If anyone has any questions, just ask.

Jerry Baumchen

PS) If anyone wants the drawing in a pdf file, just send me an email: jerrybaumchen(at)gmail(dot)com

Warlock
06-12-2017, 01:07 PM
Hi folks,

Here is a drawing that I have made of how I built my DIY Skidplate.

I tried to upload this as a pdf file but could not. So here it is as a picture.

If anyone has any questions, just ask.

Jerry Baumchen

PS) If anyone wants the drawing in a pdf file, just send me an email: jerrybaumchen(at)gmail(dot)com

Good drawing. I want to also add my buddy in there. He did the plywood cutting and I copied it and put it on paper. So Floyd Netterville really gets the credit for the template I sent you. I had started making one when he showed up with his. There is a lot of different project I do, but this one goes to Floyd.
David