PDA

View Full Version : Strange thing happening...

ingramwc
06-11-2017, 10:11 AM
OK, this is weird and I am curious to see if anyone else is having this issue... I have a '13 STS SE5, I have noticed that my license plate is being bent. I know that I have not backed into anything, nothing has been thrown up by the rear tire. The tag is in the stock location on the rear fender below the tag light/rear reflector.
Anyone else seen this?????? I do ride solo 100% so I cannot blame a passenger... Also the tag is attached at the top side and it gets bent up.:dontknow::dontknow::dontknow::dontknow:

Chupaca
06-11-2017, 10:30 AM
Do you have a gremlin bell...:roflblack: does this happen often or just once..?? it could be someone has backed into you but if it happens a lot then there is some other issue. It could be if you back into a high curb and pull back out it would bend the plate up. I have seen others back it and bump the curb and plate..:banghead:

Trbayth
06-11-2017, 02:18 PM
Do you have a gremlin bell...:roflblack: does this happen often or just once..?? it could be someone has backed into you but if it happens a lot then there is some other issue. It could be if you back into a high curb and pull back out it would bend the plate up. I have seen others back it and bump the curb and plate..:banghead:

This exact same thing happened to me. Destroyed the clapper inside the bell. nojoke

Bfromla
06-11-2017, 03:59 PM
:dontknow: Cant quite say fyi I had similar issue but, added a trailer plate mount arm (I had laying around)to the underside of mine so I could use all 4 bolts to hold a license plate frame I found, first one broke when only using 2 bolts:banghead:. Now I've added trailer hitch & the relocation kit cant even fit the frame:gaah:

Additional info: used 1"1/4 1/4x 20 SS bolts & nylon nuts, the frame broke as if was bent up too far. The plate frame is metal too not crap plastic, Stock mount just does not hold.
First frame:
& after the mod:149215 4 bolts are better:)

ingramwc
06-12-2017, 11:14 AM
Gene, well my gremlin bell was hanging from the bottom of the tag, needles to say, it has been gone long ago. I am defenseless against the little devils!!!!
No curbs in or out of my garage or driveway. I am using the stock tag mount with 2 bolts at top holding the tag in place. Tag bends from the bottom up??????
I guess a jokester gremlin has adopted my Spyder!!!
I had the gremlin hanger at the bottom of the tag, I twisted that up the other day to the right side of the tag, when I got back home I noticed the reflector on the right side top tag
bolt had broken off. The tag was again bent up and the only thing that could have broke the reflector was the gremlin hanger (the stainless steel piece from the bell vendor).
Something seems to have hit the tag to cause that. What it could be is the mystery. I have pushed the rear suspension up and down to see if anything moved near the tag. Nothing did.
Thanks for your thoughts. I will continue the quest. I will get a friend to follow me to see if they can notice a problem.

Y'all ride safe out there!!!!:yes::yes::yes::yes:

ARtraveler
06-12-2017, 03:00 PM
My experience is with an 09 RS SE5. Going down a potholed road. She the front bike, me following. Saw a pothole, dodged it, and hit it square with the rear tire. Bottomed out and took the plate right off. :thumbup::roflblack:

ingramwc
06-12-2017, 07:42 PM
Ah, akspyderman, I think you got it!!!!!!! The main road that I have to travel in and out from our house has several recessed manhole covers, and they are situated such that
if I try to dodge them completely I have to go into the oncoming traffic lane which often is not practical or safe! I try to get so the front wheel takes it but sometimes
the rear wheel will take the hit a few times almost every time I ride. Thank you, thank you!!!!!! I will make sure the rear wheel no longer takes the hit and see if I can keep a
straight tag!!!!!!:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup: