PDA

View Full Version : How old is too old to get started riding a Spyder

jdftwrth
06-11-2017, 07:25 AM
Hi,

I am a potential Spyder rider (after I sell my better half on the idea) and was wondering what you folks consider a persons age as being too old to get started riding.

As you might guess I am not some young buck but I still work full time and am trying to get a plan together for what I might do when I finally retire.

For some buying a motor home or fifth wheel trailer might be ideal but the last thing i want to do is wandering around the country in my living room.

There is a lot of this country that I would like to see, especially here in Texas, and whizzing down the internet in an enclosed cage is not that appealing to me.

Those things being said, is it even a realistic for someone who saw their 60th birthday some time ago to get get started riding? Even if that person has some physical challenges?

Now I could just go and buy a Spyder but I am trying make an intelligent decision and to somehow get my better half on board with what I am thing of doing.

Thanks for your thoughts on this question.

JD

Y'all have a great day.

Peter Aawen
06-11-2017, 07:51 AM
Jd, I hafta assume that you are still alive (?!?) in which case you are not too old to get started riding a Spyder!!

Many of us here are as old or older than you, many of us have some degree of physical challenges, some no longer work because of those physical challenges! But if you still have the mobility & flexibility to get on & can reach/operate the controls of a Spyder, then go for it!! If you need to mod the brake pedal or controls to suit, I bet someone has already done it!!

Just to give you an idea of how old ISN'T too old, there's a fairly new Spyder ryding fella here in South Aust, who's only been ryding for a couple of years so far (any vehicle that is, he never rode 2 wheelers before but he grew up riding horses!) but he recently celebrated a birthday that he 'allowed' just may have meant he's now over 95 by a year or three!! He's a bit cadgey about letting on how old he is, cos he thinks the Auth's might want to take his licence off him!! Anyhoo, he's invited me to go on a ryde with him this coming Monday, but I'm not too sure that my worn out body will handle it..... I really don't know if I'll be able to keep up with him or last the distance; he's doing an Aussie 'Hard Arse' ride, 1000 miles in 15 hours or something, which is only a short ryde for him - a couple of months back he rode from Sydney to Perth & then back to Adelaide in 4 days or something equally as silly.... :shocked: I used to do that sorta stuff when I was young & fit & in the military, but now that I'm retired & decrepit largely because of the pounding my body took back then (altho an hour of ryding on the Spyder usually means that I can skip one of my many daily doses of pain medication) I'm not so sure - but he loves ryding so does these Hard Arse rides at every chance he gets, & it certainly keeps him young! :)

There's a saying that old riders pass around that goes something like this: You don't stop riding because you get old; you get old because you stop riding!! :dontknow:

If you want to ride & you feel you are up to it, don't let anyone or anything stop you! And a Spyder is a great way to get out there with your knees in the breeze! Talk to your Doctors if you must, but I just tell mine I AM going to keep ryding whilever I can - they've stopped me doing almost everything else I used to enjoy outdoors! :thumbup:

Brentc
06-11-2017, 08:19 AM
If you have no physical limitations preventing you from riding, then the rest is purely up to you! Many years of enjoyment can be had ahead.

Tyris
06-11-2017, 08:22 AM
Started looking in Dec 2016, took motorcycle safety class March 17, never driven one before, bought RT Limited, Apr 29th, turned 62 in May.

ronrico
06-11-2017, 08:22 AM
You are never to old to enjoy life. I have a friend you just got a F3, this is his first motorcycle ever and he is 76. He is having a great time. His son and grandson both ride HD's so now he can going riding with them. Find a dealer in your area and see if they have demo rides and go and try one. Best of luck and hope to see you riding soon.

BoilerAnimal
06-11-2017, 08:34 AM
My story is very similar to Tyris. I had ridden two wheels when I was a teenager. The last time being when I was 21. Last year I took a motorcycle safety course and got my license for motorcycles over 250 cc.

My wife and I proceeded to test drive a Spyder and bought one last July. That was when I was 61. I'm 62 now and we have ridden our Spyder almost 8000 miles, loving every minute of it!I

Yesterday is a canceled check.
Tomorrow is a promissory note.
Today is cash. Spend it wisely!

MikeT
06-11-2017, 08:39 AM
If you have no physical limitations preventing you from riding, then the rest is purely up to you! Many years of enjoyment can be had ahead.
I'll add one caveat, the era of the cell phone generation drivers is upon us. Can't emphasize how dangerous this wave of distracted drivers has made our roads. The carnage they leave on our roads is the reason auto/bike/trike insurance rates are skyrocketing. As a beginning rider, I can't stress enough the old saying "Ride your motorcycle like you're invisible".
Best of luck in your mid-life crisis.
Mike

Slowpoke387
06-11-2017, 08:41 AM
These are extremely easy to ride. Extremely. Aside from the common sense/rules of the road, a child could ride one. I had to step off of motorcycles after my entire life of riding and racing them due to a developing disability and even i can ride ours. Pm me if you want to chat about it.

kentompkins
06-11-2017, 08:55 AM
I'm 82. Last summer I put 9000+ miles on my third Spyder riding from NJ to CA, OR, WA and home. Just do it!

ken tompkins

SPYD3R
06-11-2017, 08:55 AM
TOTALLY UNOFFICIAL, but in my 9 years of riding the CAM AM SPYD3R, if have observed that the average age of a SPYD3R rider is approximately 65 yrs of age...
You'll notice a very limited amount of riders below the age of 40, and most of us have white hair, if we have any at all... 90% of SPYD3R riders have come over from the 2 wheel world, ie; bad joints, heart, etc etc etc... and of that 90%, a full 98% have been thrilled with their SPYD3R... a very small 2% or so, have quit the SPYD3R team and either gone back to 2 wheels, or stopped riding entirely...
Come join us, your chances of falling in love again are extremely high....
Dan P
SPYD3R

Samson
06-11-2017, 09:13 AM
Welcome. If you like riding and being in the wind then get it and don't look back. It's a very easy bike to ride and once you get past the initial quirks of the 3 wheeler its very easy. Good luck in your decision, you might look at year end 2017 models when the 2018 are out. You might find some great savings as I did on the 2016 model.

BLUEKNIGHT911
06-11-2017, 09:23 AM
I'm not 100% sure but I think Karyl aka Murphy Brown ( the Queen of Spyders )at ...72 .... was never an operator of any Mtc. before She bought Her 2010 RT ....sight unseen :yikes: .... She had a friend go to Michigan (?) to get it for Her .......... Mike :thumbup:

bushrat
06-11-2017, 09:24 AM
jd:
I agree with comments above, most of which say it better than I can, and with loads of experience to boot. Go take a test ride; you'll likely buy one soon after. Take your lady with you, and make her the big part of your decision (both as to 'yes' or 'no', as well as to choice - RT or F3). Her opinion should cast the deciding vote if you're not unanimous. From personal experience, I can only add this: I'm 76, gf is 72. I owned my first motorbike at 14, completely illegally, and rode for a few years. Didn't do much biking again until I was in my thirties, and then on limited occasions for a few years. Got my M license officially, and it has remained valid even though I really haven't been astride much in the past 40 years; and only ever on two wheels when I did. So, an experienced rider I really am not, and don't pretend that I know much of anything. What I can say is that we two 70-plus-year olds, with very little background went and took a test ride a couple of weeks ago. We had discussed the idea, much for the same reasons you express. The test ride confirmed to us that we were on the right track. We chose a 2017 F3L; others would have gone for the RTL. That's simply a matter of personal comfort and preference - 'listen' to your gut and the feeling in your butts. We're now putting the first miles on our new toy, seeking out nearby adventurous day trips to begin; back roads, lovely scenery and charming out-of-the-way restaurants are where we head. You're only too old when you can no longer feel the wind, see the road and rigor mortis has set in sufficiently that they are measuring you for a pine box. Go for it!!!149184

Chupaca
06-11-2017, 09:46 AM
It's all in how old you feel...A test ryde will clear up most of the truth in your age and capablilities. I have ryden bikes all my life and decided to retire from them around 65 but it lasted about a few months and only cause I had a ton of work. After the work ended up with a spinal cord injury did I retire and the wife bought us a spyder. Now in my 70's I still feel as young as all those out there I ryde with and unless I happen across a mirror where the difference is apparent (I avoid mirrors..:roflblack:) I keep ryding with them all...young and old and I have many much older than myself and tough to keep up with...:thumbup: go ryde one

ingramwc
06-11-2017, 09:52 AM
I was 66 when I gave up riding 2 wheels! I love riding my '13 ST-S SE5!!!!!! A good friend just bought a used RT at the tender age of 84!!
Age is more "Mind over Matter!!" If you don't mind, then it doesn't matter!!!! :yes::yes::yes::yes:

El Dorado
06-11-2017, 09:54 AM
I'm 71 and just got a 2015 RT-S. put 250 miles on it in the first 4 days and look forward to many miles with smiles.......PS, I'm a 100% disabled Vet

ndspyderlover
06-11-2017, 09:59 AM
Hi,

I am a potential Spyder rider (after I sell my better half on the idea) and was wondering what you folks consider a persons age as being too old to get started riding.

As you might guess I am not some young buck but I still work full time and am trying to get a plan together for what I might do when I finally retire.

For some buying a motor home or fifth wheel trailer might be ideal but the last thing i want to do is wandering around the country in my living room.

There is a lot of this country that I would like to see, especially here in Texas, and whizzing down the internet in an enclosed cage is not that appealing to me.

Those things being said, is it even a realistic for someone who saw their 60th birthday some time ago to get get started riding? Even if that person has some physical challenges?

Now I could just go and buy a Spyder but I am trying make an intelligent decision and to somehow get my better half on board with what I am thing of doing.

JD

Y'all have a great day.I am 72 years old (young) . age is only determined by the calendar. if I let age run my life I would not get anything done. JUST DO IT !!!!!!

SpyderAnn01
06-11-2017, 10:12 AM
Jd, I hafta assume that you are still alive (?!?) in which case you are not too old :thumbup:

Exactly

wyliec
06-11-2017, 10:22 AM
As long as you are breathing on your own, you are good to go.

It's a good thing you didn't ask which spyder, and when to shift.

JKMSPYDER
06-11-2017, 10:30 AM
J D I was age 61 when I bought my first Spyder. It was a '13 ST-S. I traded for a '15 F3-S in January of '16 and now have over 47,000 miles between both Spyders. I am now age 65. I just rode back from Quebec, Canada where I attended the Spyder 10th anniversary celebration. Riding my Spyder is the best fun I have ever had. Go for it! You and your wife will love it!

murphybrown
06-11-2017, 11:21 AM
let age be a factor...it is just a number...:clap::yes:

Trailboss
06-11-2017, 11:37 AM
Hi,

JD

Y'all have a great day.

I'm mid 60's and rode since I was fourteen. I would recommend you sign up for a three day riding course. I think Spyder has a promo code for a discount. You will learn a lot about the bike and yourself. Consider the class a three day test drive.

jakwa
06-11-2017, 11:58 AM
Let,s start by saying that my first ride was at age 14. That's about 66 years ago and a few miles. I change to my 2013 RTL in 2013 at age 76, before I had any health problems. I still ride my Spyder weekly and have ridden over 30,000 miles that last 4 years. This last May, I took a group on a week's ride in the Smokey Mountains. I might also say my Spyder has been trouble free.

Fitness is essential and riding is a good excerise for us Senior Citizens. As is keeping your riding skills current and your physical conditioning.is just as important.

Recommend you find a riding buddy or a group to ride with. Not only will you enjoy their friendship, but they can also keep and eye on you.

Riding is an escape from every day routine and provided the ability to interact with others

Go explore our Great Country.

Roadster Renovations
06-11-2017, 12:20 PM
Wife started ryding at 60 --------ooops! 60ish......Never tell a woman's age.

SilverFox1
06-11-2017, 12:44 PM
Go for it jd. You won't be sorry. You will wonder why you didn't do it before. AND, for pete's sake, don't drive like you're "invisible". Be seen, be heard, be visible and remember to always drive defensively. If you see a car approaching an intersection keep in mind, he might not see you or he's trying to kill you. I certainly don't say this to scare you but it's a fact. The famous saying "But officer I didn't see him" . It is a fact though that a Spyder is more visible than any two wheeler. They are at least twice the width if not more! "Drive like you're invisible". I never heard that one! Just saying

SilverFox

wyliec
06-11-2017, 12:51 PM
Go for it jd. You won't be sorry. You will wonder why you didn't do it before. AND, for pete's sake, don't drive like you're "invisible". Be seen, be heard, be visible and remember to always drive defensively. If you see a car approaching an intersection keep in mind, he might not see you or he's trying to kill you. I certainly don't say this to scare you but it's a fact. The famous saying "But officer I didn't see him" . It is a fact though that a Spyder is more visible than any two wheeler. They are at least twice the width if not more! "Drive like you're invisible". I never heard that one! Just saying

SilverFox

It just means you are riding/driving as though no one sees you; in other words, drive defensively at all times b/c you are invisible to those in a car.

jdftwrth
06-11-2017, 02:20 PM
Hi y'all,

I just wanted say thanks for all the positive and helpful comments that you have offered up...

If you could not tell from my original post, I have pretty much made my mind up as to what I am going to do, I just looking for some solid arguments and reasoning to use to defend and justify the decision that I am leaning towards.

Even as I am sitting here in my office I continuing my discussion with my wife about this and have shared your comments with her.

She and I are both products of the 50's and skepticism is part of our upbringing. Something about believing half of what you hear and even less of what you read. So my ultimate solution is to take here to one or more of the dealers and let her see for herself.

As far as the suggestion about waiting until the 2018's come out and then look at a 2017 goes, makes sense and the timing works of for other things that I need to get resolved before I buy one.

As much as she fidgets when riding in the car I am thinking that we will probably wind up with 2 spyders, my original thought was to lean towards the RT because the storage, but with 2 bikes and possibly a trailer then storage becomes a non-issue. The spyder with its semi auto transmission if is one of the chief selling points for me, the lack of a hand brake is one of the con's but with the availability of after market hand brakes is very positive point.

In the mean time I will continue to watch this forum and see if I can get answer to some of the other questions that I have.

Thanks again.

JD

Bob Denman
06-11-2017, 03:20 PM
:shocked: How old, is "Too Old"? :dontknow:

:D When they nail the lid on your coffin shut!!!!!!

trucker1
06-11-2017, 03:25 PM
It's all just a state of mind. Remember the old life ceral commercial try it you'll like it. Its never to early or to late to try it. So go for it JD. HAVE FUN LIVE LIFE TO ITS FULLEST. We'll watch over you. Just check in from time to time.

rtotten
06-11-2017, 03:34 PM
My wife bought a used 2010 RT in 2011. I did not have a bike at the time. She rode with our son who had a Suzuki 800. They went almost every weekend. I was getting a little upset. I was not asked to go along. This went along for a couple of years. Then in 2013, I finally said enough!!! When September sales came up, I bought an RTL and trailer. I got a great price. So my wife need back surgery. She ended up having 4 lower vertebrae fused, and disc replaced, she had already had two knees replaced. In 2015 she had both hips replaced. She still rides. I am a 50% retired veteran (mostly from migraine headaches). In March we flew down to Dallas, Texas and picked a 2014 RT for her. This last April we rode from North Las Vegas to Valdosta, Georgia and back in three weeks. We had no problems riding that distance! Course I have added a Russel Day long seat with their back rest, my kids tell me it is like a recliner! I am 63 and the wife (well, I better not tell you her age).

If we can do it, I think anybody can.... Cell phones are great.... at fuel stops send messages as to where you are to loved ones one long trips so they can keep track of you!

Good luck!;)

Devious56
06-11-2017, 04:16 PM
Can't say too much about this, I've had my RT about 18 months, and 18,000 miles. I'll be 78 July 4th. If you want a Spyder, buy a Spyder, your age has nothing to do with it.

David

ARtraveler
06-11-2017, 04:22 PM
There are all kinds of riders here that are in there 80's. Go for it "whippersnapper." :yes::yes: You don't want to make it to 90 and have to say "Wow, I could of had a v-8."

Get the ride, and enjoy the ride. You have 20 years or more of additional fun. :yes:

Road-Kill
06-11-2017, 05:00 PM
When you cant cut your name in the snow?

joebryanjr
06-11-2017, 05:03 PM
Hi,

JD

Y'all have a great day.

I bought my 1st one at 63. Now 66 and I know lots of riders older than I am.

samewok
06-11-2017, 06:02 PM
I am on my second Rt . My wife and Granddaughter love riding two up.
My wife it on oxygen and still takes short trips.

ruralgirl
06-11-2017, 07:21 PM
By all means, start riding, JD, but please don't do the interstates right away, especially if you're trying to get your spouse on board with the idea. Get used to your Spyder by yourself first, as it's got its learning curve, then let your wife saddle up and become confident on secondary roads where the two of you can chug along at a serene pace. Keep us posted on what you decide to do!

wd8ajj
06-11-2017, 08:06 PM
I's stop when I'm dead, maybe....:clap:

PrairieSpyder
06-11-2017, 08:14 PM
You're never too old. Some have mentioned possible physical limitations, but many have adapted their Spyders to their disabilities and ryde them all over the country.

PistonBlown
06-12-2017, 12:51 AM
When they nail the lid on your coffin shut!!!!!!

Why should that stop you?

Buckeye Bleau
06-12-2017, 05:02 AM
I now have 64 years of experience.
I have owned my Spyder RTL for two years.
I never rode let alone owned a motorcycle in my life. My father absolutely hated them and those that rode them.
I have put almost 15k miles on mine, I wish it were more.

If memory serves me correctly, during the live feed from the 2017 unveiling, they mentioned that 30% of new Spyders sold were to people who never owned a motorcycle, it is a "Roadster Revolution".

Joe

Bob Denman
06-12-2017, 06:43 AM
Why should that stop you?

My Missus is the Grounds Superintendent of the local Cemetery. She has already figured that it'll take four graves, and a much larger excavator; but she's threatening to pack my ashes in the frunk, and bury me in the Spyder! :yikes:

Saluda
06-12-2017, 07:20 AM
Never too old as long as your physically able and can pay the bill.

sealfloorboards
06-12-2017, 08:17 AM
[QUOTE=jdftwrth;1267845]Hi,

Ya'll have a great day (QUOTE)

I got my motorcycle endorsement when I was 65. My friends called me crazy because I have some major disabilities balance being one of them. I started on a small scooter but when I ran across a 2018 SE5 I was hook, except for the seating position. After inventing the Seal corkboard, I was off ready to go. I'm 75 now and my new Bride have riddrn Cost to Coast (Apron 18,000 miles with side trips). i've put a total of almost 75,000. We both love it.If you can drive a car, you can ride a Spyder!!!!!

Buckeye Bleau
06-12-2017, 08:50 AM
I was ryding around my home area one day, passed a park and saw a White Spyder Rt in the lot, I turned around and met a lovely couple from a city north of me.
they were both in their 70's, never owned a MC until they bought the Spyder two years prior.

They log a lot of miles and said that the previous year they decided that they would like to see New Orleans, they left Ohio and took a Ryde to Louisiana, he said each day when they hit 500 miles they would stop. God Bless the children, regardless of age.

They were simply having a ball seeing the country and breathing the open road air!

i ran into another couple this week at a motorcycle store, with a yellow 2015 RT. They were both late 60's early 70's and they bought their Ryde New in 2015, it now has 80,000 miles on it, last year they wanted to see the Pacific Ocean so they went to California.

If you can pay attention, pay the bills, and drive defensively, you can Ryde to enrich your life.

Joe

UtahPete
06-12-2017, 09:06 AM
Hi,

My wife and I are both 70; she got her license this past Spring and last night we returned from a 3-day camping trip. My wife drove the Spyder pulling a pet trailer and I my 2-wheeler pulling a cargo trailer. Jane really enjoyed herself and has a sense of accomplishment and satisfaction that she was able to do it. The Spyder made all the difference for her; it is so stable and easy to drive. If it's something you have always wanted to do (motorcycle touring) I'd encourage you to try it while you still can.

Questions
06-12-2017, 09:29 AM
Last summer I assisted a very nice Lady Ryder learn to operate her Spyder RTS. She is well north of 80 and with a little encouragement, having always been a passenger never the driver, is now going on cross countries from AZ to MT via CA etc...

If you want to RYDE, get out there before some excuse comes up.
Also, as I have found it is easier to ask permission than forgiveness :pray: when dealing with the Spousal Unit, as long as budget allows.

Cordially,

Cookie

jdftwrth
06-12-2017, 10:47 AM
Also, as I have found it is easier to ask permission than forgiveness :pray: when dealing with the Spousal Unit, as long as budget allows.

Dang Cookie, I have been taking that approach with my better half for almost 50 years...;);)

JD

LateLifeCrisis
06-12-2017, 12:56 PM
How about "YOU'RE NEVER TOO OLD?" Seriously, is there a cut off age for having fun and enjoying life? At ages 69 and 66 we bought an RT Ltd for HIM and a F3 Ltd for ME (couldn't let him have ALL the fun, right?!) amidst varying comments of, "You're kidding!" "You're crazy - at your ages?" "Do you want to get yourselves killed?!" to "Wish I had the nerve" and "You guys have worked hard - it's time for the payoff" and "You'll discover a whole new world."

Well, the latter has been the case. We have talked more, shared more, explored more, laughed more and discovered more about ourselves as a couple than we ever could have imagined. We have traveled to places we never would have on four wheels and have surprised ourselves with all that's out there, including our willingness to just go, do and try. The learning curve was surprisingly easy - - My Honey had his license since his teens but quit riding when job and life demands interfered, while I had never ridden a motorcycle.
He simply brushed up on his skills and we were lucky to have found an excellent dealer/owner with a person on staff who actually put us through a mini-course on riding. (Thanks, Tammy Bakert, owner of Motosports, Inc., Hanover, PA and Tim Dunlap our riding guru!)

Also thru shared information, advice and tips found on this forum, we learned the dos and don'ts and saved ourselves from making a lot of mistakes. Riding is surprisingly easy once you find the Spyder model that fits you and your wife, what you want to do, and how you want to ride and travel. We also, again THANKS SPYDERLOVERS, purchased helmets and had the Sena 20 system communication system installed so we could talk with each other while we rode. Investigate riding courses offered by local dealerships as well as find a local Spyder club - they'll be more than happy to help you learn so you'll feel safe and confident on your new toy.

Our only regret is that we didn't do it sooner after realizing all the fun we had missed - - but we're making up for lost time. Don't make the same mistake! Repeat and repeat again: YOU'RE NEVER TOO OLD TO HAVE FUN AND FIND A PASSION THAT MAKES YOU FEEL YOUNG AGAIN!!!

Bob Denman
06-12-2017, 01:39 PM
:D You sound just like a bunch of "Seenagers"! :clap: :2thumbs:

I am a Seenager (Senior teenager).
I have everything that I wanted as a teenager, only 60 years later.
I don't have to go to school or work.
I get an allowance every month.
I have my own pad.
I don't have a curfew.
I have a driver's license and my own car.
I have ID that gets me into bars and the whisky store.
The people I hang around with are not scared of getting pregnant.
And I don’t have acne.
Life is great. I have more friends I should send this to,
but right now I can't remember their names.

KensKid
06-12-2017, 01:50 PM
Well....I'm a newbie here too! Rode 2 wheels for years..still going strong!

BUT I'm replying and posting an intro to my dad...KennyB.....

He just purchased a leftover 2016 ST-S and is excited about getting back on bikes! The last time he rode a 2 wheeler was in 1953! :yes:

He's set up for a Motorcycle Safety Foundation course in a month or so....

He is 91 years young! Loves the idea of getting back into "wandering around" looking at stuff! (Quote!)

Bob Denman
06-12-2017, 02:00 PM
:welcome:
:congrats: on getting your Dad bacl " up on three!" :riding:
:nopic: of him on his bike? :2thumbs:

ARtraveler
06-12-2017, 02:23 PM
:welcome:
:congrats: on getting your Dad bacl " up on three!" :riding:
:nopic: of him on his bike? :2thumbs:

Here is a double welcome: :agree: x 2 :yes::yes:

ThreeWheels
06-12-2017, 02:47 PM
Hi,

JD
Y'all have a great day.

JD,
I'm going to play contrarian here.
If you're not perfectly comfortable with the idea of riding a spyder, then your best bet would be to stay off of one. If you start riding, and you're uncomfortable, you'll pose a danger to yourself and others on the road around you.
Now, let me clarify: From my standpoint, there is no reason for you to be uncomfortable, but perception is reality, and it's all about your perceptions, not mine.
Whatever you choose, I wish you the very best.

jdftwrth
06-12-2017, 02:53 PM
:D You sound just like a bunch of "Seenagers"! :clap: :2thumbs:

I am a Seenager (Senior teenager).
I have everything that I wanted as a teenager, only 60 years later.
I don't have to go to school or work.
I get an allowance every month.
I have my own pad.
I don't have a curfew.
I have a driver's license and my own car.
I have ID that gets me into bars and the whisky store.
The people I hang around with are not scared of getting pregnant.
And I don’t have acne.
Life is great. I have more friends I should send this to,
but right now I can't remember their names.

These days I walk into a liquor store or order a drink at a bar and I dare them to ask of my id, hell with my beard,gray hair and "large size" i look just like Santa Claus unfortunately my kids often make the mistake and think that I am "Santa".;);)

d.o.spyder-rts
06-12-2017, 03:14 PM
JD,
If you're not perfectly comfortable with the idea of riding a spyder, then your best bet would be to stay off of one. If you start riding, and you're uncomfortable, you'll pose a danger to yourself and others on the road around you.
Now, let me clarify: From my standpoint, there is no reason for you to be uncomfortable, but perception is reality, and it's all about your perceptions, not mine.

I say go for it. That being said, it would a good idea to find and take a trike motorcycle training course. That way he will discover if riding a motorcycle is in his "comfort" zone. I would also find a dealer and take a test ride. Dale

2dogs
06-12-2017, 03:31 PM
Friends of the family live in a small rural community not far away. They have a ranch with lots of property and bunches of roads that lead everywhere. Grandpa comes to visit now and then and is pushing 90 years old. One day the kids got grandpa on one of the ranch quads and together they all putted around the ranch having a great time showing grandpa how to ride the quad. He still rides today but for him, everyday is a new experience. The grandkids never get tired of the joy of teaching him to ride all over again whenever he comes to visit. Yep, you're never too old to ride.

jdftwrth
06-12-2017, 03:47 PM
JD,

I never said I wasn't comfortable with riding, I was just trying to get a sense of what others might have to say regarding "being too old to ride" because I need to get my better half to get on board with the program....;)

JD

Montery
06-12-2017, 03:48 PM
Hi,

JD

Y'all have a great day.

Glad to hear you may want to ride a Spyder I was 75 when I bought my 2012 RT Limited and we have been able to ride 12 months year round here in Arizona.Do It you will love the experience.....

easysuper
06-12-2017, 04:17 PM
J D,
I have rode on and off for the last 55 years and had always wanted to buy a touring bike in my senior years and travel, At 60 I decided that I was not going to wait anymore and told my bride of the last 42 years that I was buying a bike, she had crashed her bicycle several years earlier and was afraid to get back on two wheels even behind me, her girlfriend had a early spyder and took her out for a ride and she was sold and wanted me to look at them, being an old two wheeler I only went looking to appease her but after the first test ride was sold, because of the safety features and my knees and one ankle is gone. We bought our first RT five years ago and have been grinning ear to ear ever since. The only problem was she fell in love riding after she got her endorsement so she could ride mine if I got hurt or sick when we were touring. Having never ridden a bike by herself and at 64 she put 25,000 miles on her first bike in one year! I will fully retire in two more years then we can do a few dream rides until then we ride when we can. We use ours for mostly trips and pull a camp trailer and a dog trailer, have spent 2 weeks at a time on the road and have a blast. I would say go for it! after she first started to ride someone asked her if it was scary and her reply was , at first it was scary and a little fun but then after a month or so it was only slightly scary and a lot of fun and it made her feel ALIVE again!

Pat Clark
06-12-2017, 05:09 PM
I hadn't ridden since H.S. and then not a lot. Got my first RT at 62. 2015 put 35k on it and traded for a new 16 F3T.
Don't get old, I'm not sure if I ever want to be mature :)
Go for it..
Pat

ARtraveler
06-12-2017, 05:32 PM
One negative reply and the rest positive. The site has spoken. :bowdown:

Bob, please post the Buy the Damn Motorcycle poster. :roflblack::roflblack:

I am having to much fun to quit, and so are most of the rest of us. :yes::yes:

Bob Denman
06-12-2017, 05:34 PM
:D Okay... :thumbup:

Deanna777
06-12-2017, 05:38 PM
I bought my first spyder when I was in my late 40's ( 2012 RTS-SE6), I currently own my 2nd spyder which is a 2014RTS-SE6, and I am in mid 50's. I use to ride the 2 wheeled motorcycle as a passenger.

I am having a ball with my current spyder, 2014RTS-SE6.

Deanna

IdahoMtnSpyder
06-13-2017, 09:52 AM
You're not limited by age. Whether you should ride or not is determined by your physical ability to handle the machine, your mental acuity to handle the traffic and road, and by your reflexes. Only you, your family, and your doctor can judge all that.

RTman10
06-13-2017, 10:03 AM
Had mine all week. 75 years and 4 months and 17 days. Lot easier than a big bike.

fjray
06-13-2017, 10:26 AM
The guy that bought my rt is 84. He never rode anything until he was 80 and had a couple cruisers before deciding to try a spyder. He enjoys the ride and I see him around town on a regular basis.

Habib
06-13-2017, 10:36 AM
Jd, I hafta assume that you are still alive (?!?) in which case you are not too old to get started riding a Spyder!!

Many of us here are as old or older than you, many of us have some degree of physical challenges, some no longer work because of those physical challenges! But if you still have the mobility & flexibility to get on & can reach/operate the controls of a Spyder, then go for it!! If you need to mod the brake pedal or controls to suit, I bet someone has already done it!!

Just to give you an idea of how old ISN'T too old, there's a fairly new Spyder ryding fella here in South Aust, who's only been ryding for a couple of years so far (any vehicle that is, he never rode 2 wheelers before but he grew up riding horses!) but he recently celebrated a birthday that he 'allowed' just may have meant he's now over 95 by a year or three!! He's a bit cadgey about letting on how old he is, cos he thinks the Auth's might want to take his licence off him!! Anyhoo, he's invited me to go on a ryde with him this coming Monday, but I'm not too sure that my worn out body will handle it..... I really don't know if I'll be able to keep up with him or last the distance; he's doing an Aussie 'Hard Arse' ride, 1000 miles in 15 hours or something, which is only a short ryde for him - a couple of months back he rode from Sydney to Perth & then back to Adelaide in 4 days or something equally as silly.... :shocked: I used to do that sorta stuff when I was young & fit & in the military, but now that I'm retired & decrepit largely because of the pounding my body took back then (altho an hour of ryding on the Spyder usually means that I can skip one of my many daily doses of pain medication) I'm not so sure - but he loves ryding so does these Hard Arse rides at every chance he gets, & it certainly keeps him young! :)

There's a saying that old riders pass around that goes something like this: You don't stop riding because you get old; you get old because you stop riding!! :dontknow:

If you want to ride & you feel you are up to it, don't let anyone or anything stop you! And a Spyder is a great way to get out there with your knees in the breeze! Talk to your Doctors if you must, but I just tell mine I AM going to keep ryding whilever I can - they've stopped me doing almost everything else I used to enjoy outdoors! :thumbup:

:agree: Do not let age stop you. I just turned 70 with more ailments and pains than I want to talk about and my Spyder is the most fun I have now, nothing like the wind in your face on a warm day riding a back county highway looking for a good burger joint. JUST FREAKING DO IT!!!!

RTman10
06-13-2017, 10:56 AM
Just got my first one at 75 and 4 months. Much easier than a big bike and even more fun

Tazzel
06-13-2017, 11:27 AM
My Friend just purchase her first Spyder a week ago at the age of 74. She jumped on and had no Problems riding the 2016 F3T. Her only complaint is that she doesn't like the side mirrors. She looking at the Lamonster mirrors. And she may install the Short handlebars because she is reaching slightly. Told her she is hugging the line a little to much but other then that she is doing well, link below is her first ride.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4BwTVB3mgc

Bob Denman
06-13-2017, 11:38 AM
:clap: Good for her!! :2thumbs:
Did you tell her about us yet? :D

Docster
06-13-2017, 12:52 PM
The common sense, reality answer is when you can no longer safely handle or drive one. Otherwise, never too old.

fjray
06-13-2017, 12:52 PM
The guy that bought my rt is 84. He never rode anything until he was 80 and had a couple cruisers before deciding to try a spyder. He enjoys the ride and I see him around town on a regular basis.

Mr. White
06-14-2017, 07:08 AM
I will be 85 in August and ride with the Hill Country Road Riders. We are oldsters, the youngest is around 55. We ride each Saturday to breakfast or lunch depending on the time of year. When are you too old to ride or buy a scoot.....I don't know. I will ride as long as I can climb on Mr. Cognac and feel I am safe to ride and not harm myself or others.

:spyder2:

Trayne
06-18-2017, 12:59 PM
I started rideing at 67, I'm now 68, I've put 9000 miles on and love it . I never rode any type of motorcycle before. My only regret is I live n upstate New York and can't ride in the winter

jdftwrth
06-18-2017, 01:43 PM
Trayne-

Brother I feel for you lived up around Rochester NY back in the mid 80's been here in Texas since then.

Y'all take care.

JD

Motorcycledave
06-18-2017, 02:49 PM
Any time when your above dirt
and healthy enough,
Go for it

LateLifeCrisis
06-18-2017, 03:52 PM
I started rideing at 67, I'm now 68, I've put 9000 miles on and love it . I never rode any type of motorcycle before. My only regret is I live n upstate New York and can't ride in the winter

We snowmobiled in Old Forge for decades and I remember asking about the summers in Old Forge. The response: We have two seasons here in upstate New York - - August and Winter.........

Bob Denman
06-18-2017, 04:53 PM
Actually; they call August: "Mosquito Season"... :yikes:

Gator37
06-20-2017, 10:46 AM
Rode two wheelers for most of 60 years and got my first Spyder two years ago after second knee replacement. Traded in a Harley Ultra and a Goldwing and have never looked back and I'm a young 80. You are never too old.

Spyderdale
07-31-2017, 05:56 PM
Hi,

JD

Y'all have a great day. I will be turning 78 the end of August and plan on riding a lot more years. Currently riding an F3 T and love it. Came off an RT and would never go back. Know a guy with one leg who wanted to test ride my RT. He did and promptly went to Pittbull and bought his own RT.

Gator37
07-31-2017, 07:14 PM
Hi,

JD

Y'all have a great day.

JD,

If they haven't closed the lid on your coffin you are not too old to ride a Spyder. I'm over 80 and still loving it. Takes years off your real age.:doorag:

Sempyder
07-31-2017, 08:16 PM
I think Dead is to old to start anything. You better get to gettin.

Neil Rupp
07-31-2017, 10:12 PM
Hi,

JD

Y'all have a great day.

73 years old. Had Goldwings for years got a 2014 RTs
6 months ago and have not looked back. In October I'm riding from Ohio to Key West and back. Go for it.

Bfromla
07-31-2017, 10:20 PM
:lecturef_smilie: Ya physical limits like a Tombstone!:lecturef_smilie: nojoke:spyder2: Make this:151779a reality:yes::ohyea::yes:,
but please be a safe ryder not another crazy :p:thumbup:

Wildrice
07-31-2017, 10:23 PM
I'm 82. Last summer I put 9000+ miles on my third Spyder riding from NJ to CA, OR, WA and home. Just do it!

ken tompkins

Do you ride in the rain???

SpyderHands
07-31-2017, 11:04 PM
JDFTWRTH (OP):

So, which Spyder are you driving??? :riding:

Tazzel
08-01-2017, 09:10 AM
My friend just purchased her first spyder at 76. She purchased a used 2016 F3T, She loves it!!!

opiewhan
08-01-2017, 10:35 AM
If you can get your leg up over the seat and straddle that seat your FINE.. Just turned 60 and been riding my SPYDER for 3 years.. In my 45 years of driving every type of vehicle you can imagine, my SPYDER is the ONLY 1 I have not yet got tired(bored) with driving.. Its great fun and now that my wife bought one (SPYDER) its even more enjoyable.. Im here in Austin lets go ride..

El Dorado
08-01-2017, 12:06 PM
Got my '15 RT-S two months ago at 71 YO

Lew L
08-01-2017, 01:04 PM
We have numerous folks who have some kind of disability ryding :spyder2:. So can you.

HayRog
08-01-2017, 05:26 PM
.... just a "mind" thing.

With most folks nowadays staying fitter, healthier, and living longer .... Deb and I consider ourselves just middle aged.

Been riding over 20 years, last two of them on the Spyder. I'm 72 next month -- can't say Debs age in print ;)

Bob Denman
08-01-2017, 05:29 PM

Buckeye Bleau
08-01-2017, 06:51 PM
[QUOTE=SPYD3R;1267866]TOTALLY UNOFFICIAL, but in my 9 years of riding the CAM AM SPYD3R, if have observed that the average age of a SPYD3R rider is approximately 65 yrs of age...
You'll notice a very limited amount of riders below the age of 40, and most of us have white hair, if we have any at all... 90% of SPYD3R riders have come over from the 2 wheel world,

i am not one to dispute your claim of 90% coming from two wheelers, but....
During the movie launching the 2017 models the fellow from BRP specifically stated that 30% of sales of new Spyders come from people that never owned a motorcycle before! Maybe he is wrong, but that is a company demographic point.

Joe

vtrider
08-01-2017, 06:53 PM
Hi,

JD

Y'all have a great day.I'm 61 years old and I am on my 3rd spyder since 2008. The Spyder will keep you feeling younger!

Buckeye Bleau
08-01-2017, 06:59 PM
We have numerous folks who have some kind of disability ryding :spyder2:. So can you.

Buckeye Chuck does not post very often but I had the good fortune to meet him two weeks ago for a Ryde.
He bought a 2014 in June of 2014, and he will Ryde in Ohio EVERYDAY unless there is ice, and I mean everyday. If it is raining he considers it a free shower. Now, for some people ryding may be 20-50 miles, for Chuck it is 300-400 miles per day.
You may say ok so what. Well he has a severe disability, when he gets off the Spyder he pretty much holds on to it to stand. Proof of the miles, his odometer, when I saw it was OVER 128.000 miles. Now that is testimony to a dedicated Ryder. My hat is off to you Chuck and the others like you that get out there and encourage us to get out there too.

Joe

41canine
08-02-2017, 03:25 PM
As long as you are breathing on your own, you are good to go.

It's a good thing you didn't ask which spyder, and when to shift.

I had to laugh when I saw the "breathing on your own" comment. I'm 76 years old, been riding 2 wheels for 56 years, and due to health conditions, bought a Spyder RT 2 months ago. The first thing I did was to set it up to handle my portable oxygen concentrator. Works great and I'm not going to let the bad knees stop me either.

Deer Slayer
08-02-2017, 08:27 PM
Old is between your ears.
Made on the Forties and built to last.:yes:

Motorcycledave
08-02-2017, 08:37 PM
Dead, is when you quit but any time before that, go for it. :yes::yes::yes::yes::yes:

Motorcycledave
08-02-2017, 08:39 PM
Please ... you ride a Spyder :lecturef_smilie:and drive a car or truck

JDFTWRTH (OP):

So, which Spyder are you driving??? :riding:

IdahoMtnSpyder
08-02-2017, 09:45 PM
Please ... you ride a Spyder :lecturef_smilie:and drive a car or truck
Hmmmmmm, tell that to the writers of the Spyder Operator's Manual! :roflblack:

Ed Evans
08-02-2017, 09:58 PM
I'm 78 yrs old & never had any experience riding a motorcycle. My daughter bought me a 2016 RTS SE6 and I didn't want to disappoint her so I went and took a MC safety course, got my 2 wheel MC endorsement. Now my wife who is 77 yrs old are out riding and really enjoying ourselves. We also joined 2 different Spyder groups and have been on several group rides. We are realy loving it. So are you too old? Heck no go for it.:yes:http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/customprofilepics/profilepic25904_1.gif

jaherbst
08-02-2017, 10:11 PM
77 here and second Spyder. Been riding MC since age 11. You can do the math. I still ride leaners but not so much anymore. You would enjoy the Spyder and not to mention associate with all us opinionated stout hearted Men and Women! Remember the "Nike" motto, "Just do it"!

Jack

asp125
08-02-2017, 11:57 PM
Late to the thread. Don't count out the RV idea. Having a mobile base from which to ride gives you the best of both worlds. We traveled around in our 5th wheel toyhauler, and rode some of the best motorcycle roads in the US for a year.

Dmetcalf
08-03-2017, 07:18 AM
Late to the thread. Don't count out the RV idea. Having a mobile base from which to ride gives you the best of both worlds. We traveled around in our 5th wheel toyhauler, and rode some of the best motorcycle roads in the US for a year.

I agree with you in that it's an excellent and economical way to see the country. I'm retiring in the next few years and we plan on traveling a lot with the Spyder ..!

Bob Denman
08-03-2017, 07:20 AM
:D We're starting to formulate some similar plans here also. :thumbup:

Deanna777
08-03-2017, 06:46 PM
I am in my mid 50's and I am on my 2nd spyder . My current spyder is a 2014RTS-SE6.

Deanna

SpyderHands
08-03-2017, 11:30 PM
Please ... you ride a Spyder :lecturef_smilie:and drive a car or truckWhat do you mean?:sour:

Big F
08-05-2017, 08:52 AM
Hi,

JD

Y'all have a great day.

You can NEVER be too old to ride a Spyder!!!!!!!!!! I rode 2-wheelers for years and switched to Spyders in my late 60's and have never looked back.... (76 now) Happy and safe riding to you.
BIG F

johnwinslow
08-05-2017, 01:44 PM
I'm not 100% sure but I think Karyl aka Murphy Brown ( the Queen of Spyders )at ...72 .... was never an operator of any Mtc. before She bought Her 2010 RT ....sight unseen :yikes: .... She had a friend go to Michigan (?) to get it for Her .......... Mike :thumbup:

Karyl 72 ;)

ronrico
08-05-2017, 02:04 PM
My friend in Ohio has a F3 and it is his first bike ever; never has ridden a motorcycle in his life. He is 83 years young and enjoy every minute.

ofdave
08-06-2017, 11:50 AM
71 here (would have been older but I was sick as a kid) -many bikes in the past. Just sold my CTX700 last week and really trying to find a Spyder (F3 manual) in my area.
After hearing the comments from the old guys here, I know I'm making the right decision.
Showed my wife the brochure and she was way more excited than I expected. My rides have been mostly solo for 5 years or so as she lost interest. Now I may have a riding partner again.
The Spyder just makes sense to me.

Bob Denman
08-06-2017, 12:57 PM
Karyl 72 ;)
:shocked: In my book: it's impolite to discuss a lady's age...

:D But she sure seems more like 39; than anything else!! :clap:

ARtraveler
08-06-2017, 02:39 PM
You can NEVER be too old to ride a Spyder!!!!!!!!!! I rode 2-wheelers for years and switched to Spyders in my late 60's and have never looked back.... (76 now) Happy and safe riding to you.
BIG F

:agree::agree::agree:...As a rider of two wheelers since the early 60's it is in my blood. Had to go :spyder2: only the last five years--and I still have two of them. Back on two wheels again--and loving that once again. Coming up on 72--where did it all go?

Flashman
08-08-2017, 12:35 PM
[QUOTE=jdftwrth;1267845]Hi,

JD

Y'all have a great day