PDA

View Full Version : Americade 2017

Bob Denman
06-10-2017, 05:45 PM
The Missus and I just got back from a quick day trip to Lake George for the last day of Americade.
We left home at 6:05, and arrived at 9:00am It was kind of cloudy, and the weather forecasts had been threatening us with rain in the morning at home... and rain in the afternoon in Lake George.
Anyway; the rain held off, and we had beautiful weather.
There were a whole lot more Spyders than in previous years. :clap: :2thumbs: Virtually every booth in the TourExpo seemed to have one nearby. :D
I saw lots of familiar faces in the vendor booths too! Dave and Des in the Ultimate trailer just never seemed to get a free moment. Baker-Built and F-4 were also hopping and popping the entire day.
If you needed:
raingear
helmets
jackets
boots
bandanas
sunglasses
trailers
tires
the Lord... :pray:
or just some really great Jerky: this was the place to get rid of your excess money! :clap:
Hannigan, Tilting Motor Works, and Motor-Trike were there with reverse trike conversions... the Hannigans looked REALLY nice!

The only downside to our day: our intercoms gave up the ghost... I guess it's time to talk to Dave about a pair of Senas...

(They were there too!)

Tango
06-10-2017, 06:36 PM
Glad you had a good trip. We did also. Picked up Mushu from Klinger Powersports. The trunk is installed, looks awesome! :ohyea: Had them service it as well. My headset has only one speaker working. Thinking about a SENA 20 myself. Give me a shout when you can. :thumbup: Tom :spyder:

Chupaca
06-11-2017, 01:12 AM
What your saying is thst you closed the place...:roflblack::roflblack: sounds like you had a good trip and both enjoyed it. Glad the weather held up..:clap:where are the pictures....?? and we know you know how to post them...:roflblack:

Road-Kill
06-11-2017, 02:18 PM
Me and a buddy went up there Friday and came back yesterday. Americade is a great time as long as you don't pay those userous fees to get over that HUGE fence. The company that now runs it destroyed the freelance performers and access to the different MC brands, except Harley and Yamaha. Ocean City MD (Bike Week Sept) is a much better place and my reservations are made!

Bob Denman
06-11-2017, 03:22 PM
To us: it's just the pirce ofentertainment.
This is year 35... I've been going to them since year 1. :thumbup:

Tango
06-11-2017, 04:19 PM
Me and a buddy went up there Friday and came back yesterday. Americade is a great time as long as you don't pay those userous fees to get over that HUGE fence. The company that now runs it destroyed the freelance performers and access to the different MC brands, except Harley and Yamaha. Ocean City MD (Bike Week Sept) is a much better place and my reservations are made!

The Dutchers are multi millionaires from running Americade. Yes it's a good time. But they charge vendors exorbitant fees, then hit the people a gate fee just to get in to spend money. Have been there many times. Even started volunteering till I learned my lesson the hard way. :banghead: Tom :spyder:

Kwalsh
06-11-2017, 04:25 PM
I was there Thursday and Friday and saw a lot of spyders, the vendor area gets a little lighter every year and this will be my last year paying to go in unless I need something specifically.

it is fun to just park in the grass area and go and watch the idiots with loud pipes drive up and down the street

Road-Kill
06-11-2017, 04:48 PM
The Dutchers are multi millionaires from running Americade. Yes it's a good time. But they charge vendors exorbitant fees, then hit the people a gate fee just to get in to spend money. Have been there many times. Even started volunteering till I learned my lesson the hard way. :banghead: Tom :spyder:

A friend of mine "volunteered" to work the week for a room. He had to work 36-38 hours for the "free" room. He did this knowing well the company was pocketing his sweat. Americade will no longer get my dough as long as they market us like cattle. Bikers created Americade for FREE and then they came and turned us into cash cows. It will not be long till "they" put up tolls in the area. I paid the $10.00 to get into that tiny flea market for the last time, utter garbage. The people who did not pay on the outside on main street were fun.

Bob Denman
06-11-2017, 06:02 PM
The Dutchers have made tons of money on the Touring Bike Conventions: so what? :dontknow:
They're the ones who put the money up to get the ball rolling. :thumbup:
I don't begrudge anybody the money that they make.
Whether it's through hard work, a tough entrepreneurial spirit, or just the guts to make a tough call: they did it when nobody else would. :clap:

rnet
06-11-2017, 07:14 PM
The Dutchers have made tons of money on the Touring Bike Conventions: so what? :dontknow:
They're the ones who put the money up to get the ball rolling. :thumbup:
I don't begrudge anybody the money that they make.
Whether it's through hard work, a tough entrepreneurial spirit, or just the guts to make a tough call: they did it when nobody else would. :clap:I agree Bob and the vendors make money or they would not come back.

BUZZARD II
06-12-2017, 12:32 PM
According to a pin, I was there in '88, and maybe before that too. Anyway it's rare that I miss a year. I always have a good time so no complaint about $10 for the Expo. The street scene on Canada St. has sure changed over the years, and I like it. Quite a show.

I had the Wizard do a pin stripe and spider & web job on my RT and am very happy with it. I hit the Expo on Tuesday and was dumped on. I've been to Americades that were wetter but never as cold.

Bob Denman
06-12-2017, 12:45 PM
It's not Americade, if it's not raining! :D

Kwalsh
06-12-2017, 12:51 PM
thats why upstate ny is so great it goes from snow to oven in 2 days and always seems to rain on americade

ARtraveler
06-12-2017, 02:44 PM
The Missus and I just got back from a quick day trip to Lake George for the last day of Americade.
We left home at 6:05, and arrived at 9:00am It was kind of cloudy, and the weather forecasts had been threatening us with rain in the morning at home... and rain in the afternoon in Lake George.
Anyway; the rain held off, and we had beautiful weather.
There were a whole lot more Spyders than in previous years. :clap: :2thumbs: Virtually every booth in the TourExpo seemed to have one nearby. :D
I saw lots of familiar faces in the vendor booths too! Dave and Des in the Ultimate trailer just never seemed to get a free moment. Baker-Built and F-4 were also hopping and popping the entire day.
If you needed:
raingear
helmets
jackets
boots
bandanas
sunglasses
trailers
tires
the Lord... :pray:
or just some really great Jerky: this was the place to get rid of your excess money! :clap:
Hannigan, Tilting Motor Works, and Motor-Trike were there with reverse trike conversions... the Hannigans looked REALLY nice!

The only downside to our day: our intercoms gave up the ghost... I guess it's time to talk to Dave about a pair of Senas...

(They were there too!)

Sena is the way to go--you will not be disappointed. :thumbup:

d.o.spyder-rts
06-12-2017, 03:38 PM
I've always wanted to go, just haven't made it yet. It's only about 2 hours from my home town, may be next year.

pegasus1300
06-12-2017, 04:18 PM
I've always wanted to go, just haven't made it yet. It's only about 2 hours from my home town, may be next year.

I am like you always wanted to go but never enough time or money. If they do a homecoming for the 15th anniversary maybe I can make it then and do a twofer.

d.o.spyder-rts
06-12-2017, 04:41 PM
I am like you always wanted to go but never enough time or money. If they do a homecoming for the 15th anniversary maybe I can make it then and do a twofer.
I guess we'll have to follow that saying "just do it" Dale

coastrider
06-12-2017, 05:46 PM
I've been attending since the very first Aspencade East. I've missed about five total over the years. This year we attended both the Valcourt Homecoming and spent a week at Americade. The rally has morphed a lot over the years from a Goldwing-centric gathering of touring riders to an all marque rally welcoming every type of rider.

This year the weather early in the week was terrible. We rode in rain for the final 75 miles on our return from Canada. It seemed that there were fewer than normal bikes until Friday, and many "vacancy" signs. Tour expo was configured differently, perhaps because there were fewer vendors. There was little specifically targeting the Spyder riders, although there seemed many more in attendance than customary, perhaps a result of it being scheduled back to back with the Homecoming.

We'll be at SpyderQuest too. Haven't missed one yet, but my heart will always have a place for Americade due to the years of good memories and the friends I happen to meet again and again on the beautiful streets of Lke George.

Deanna777
06-12-2017, 05:54 PM
It's not Americade, if it's not raining! :DThat is for sure, I went last year and it rained. Deanna

Bob Denman
06-12-2017, 05:55 PM
:D You were at the 1983 event also? :clap:
Remember what everyone was saying about all of the motorcycles that were there (About 7,000...)
They were all crazy-eyed, and saying "Wow! Look at all fo the bikes!" :yes::yes::yes:
Now that they have about 60,000 or so show up...
They all say :shocked: ""Oh :cus:! It's that time of the year again!" :banghead: :gaah:
Did you get your Yamaha venture test-ride Tee-Shirt?
"This year's Aspencade: it's an ad-Venture"!
Did you get to meet Hazel Kolb?
http://www.motorcyclemuseum.org/halloffame/detail.aspx?RacerID=209

Remember the Anazonas Bike? :bowdown:

Those were some good days! nojoke