PDA

View Full Version : Rear Panel Lugs

agedbikeman
06-09-2017, 04:32 PM
Has anyone else had this problem? I bought this RT 2014 it was just under 2 years old and the end lug on each side of the rear panel had already been glued back on 149088 149089 149090 I tried glueng them back with resin and plastic tube weld but they keep breaking off, a new panel is very expensive, I may try a metal bracket and screws as all screws will be hidden by the saddle bag lids

pegasus1300
06-09-2017, 04:56 PM
yes my 2012 had those tabs on both sides broken off as well, but since I bought used I am not sure where or when,tho I have a suspicion. As to the tabs,you really don't need them, the other 2 tabs and the clips in the rear will hold the panel on just fine. I know it is annoying:banghead::banghead:. We discovered mine when I was having an LED flag put on my rear fender. I am looking for that ad on TV about the glue that activates with a blue light,but if that doesn't work I'll just leave it alone.

Bob Denman
06-09-2017, 06:05 PM
I am looking for that ad on TV about the glue that activates with a blue light,but if that doesn't work I'll just leave it alone.

:D

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=UV+light+activated+epoxy&tbm=shop&spd=13202666250622963038

:thumbup:

oldguyinTX
06-09-2017, 09:45 PM
Mine are broken (all four) on both side panels. I have glued them back on twice. This last time, when they broke off, pieces went down into one of the many black holes that Spyders have. But they still stay on just fine. Four less screws I have to remove.

cptjam
06-09-2017, 11:04 PM
I have fixed many. Buy some stuff called "The Last Glue". Sean is out of Las Vegas, but I met him and his last glue in Long Beach IMS show. Works perfect. Expensive, but worth it! Joe

4 MARIE
06-09-2017, 11:36 PM
if the luggage latching cables were prestretched, or didn't need immediate attention ..
there would be a lot less of these broken tabs. I mean really? Open your bags TEN times and cables need adjusting?

agedbikeman
06-10-2017, 02:36 AM
I agree, it looks just fine without them, but I think I will go for my alloy bracket mod just in case one day any of the others break off then I'm well prepaired.

I think the angle at which these lugs are stressed when trying to fit the rear the rear panel it was obvious they would break off, but to be expected as the dividing line between technical designer and lunatic is very thin.

Watch this space for my modification, but heh what do I know I'm only a retired TV engineer, strange but all the button flaps on tv's used to snap off in the same fashion, wonder if BRP designed those too!!!!!:banghead: