PDA

View Full Version : motor breaks down on slippery ground..

chris56
04-28-2009, 01:19 PM
maybe someone can help me (i`m a lamonster-fan) and test following
I stood today on the side of a street with slipper ground / dirt road
I wanted to go back on the street with a little U-turn - so I moved my steering to the left
motor stops in the same moment when i wanted to accelerate..
so it seems that the electronic works also when i standstill and gives me no chance to come out of that if my steering is non straight??
maybe its only my spyder who makes that problem - if i´m on tour this is really a problem ..
chris (austria is not australia)
hope you understand - english is not easy

bjt
04-28-2009, 01:50 PM
While going in reverse, if the rear tire slips, the engine stops. My wife has experienced the same thing and its been noted on the forums in the past. It doesn't have anything to do with whether the front wheels are turned or straight. Sorry if I'm not fully understanding your problem (trying to decipher Austrian / English isn't easy either). :D

Dudley
04-28-2009, 01:51 PM
Have no fear. Your English is as good as it gets. Even if it wasn't, we all speak Spyder! Could that have been the traction control going into action if your rear tire had no grip and was spinning?

COOLMACHINE
04-28-2009, 02:01 PM
Hello to the land down-under,
I have had no such problem myself. I pull off the main road onto the shoulder which typically has rock, gravel, sand, etc. on it to let someone pass me by so I can enjoy the ride but my Spyder never turns off when trying to get back on the road weather my front wheels are turned or not. :dontknow:

Dudley
04-28-2009, 02:15 PM
Hello to the land down-under,
I have had no such problem myself. I pull off the main road onto the shoulder which typically has rock, gravel, sand, etc. on it to let someone pass me by so I can enjoy the ride but my Spyder never turns off when trying to get back on the road weather my front wheels are turned or not. :dontknow:

chris (austria is not australia) :dontknow:

Director
04-28-2009, 02:26 PM
maybe someone can help me (i`m a lamonster-fan) and test following
I stood today on the side of a street with slipper ground / dirt road
I wanted to go back on the street with a little U-turn - so I moved my steering to the left
motor stops in the same moment when i wanted to accelerate..
so it seems that the electronic works also when i standstill and gives me no chance to come out of that if my steering is non straight??
maybe its only my spyder who makes that problem - if i´m on tour this is really a problem ..
chris (austria is not australia)
hope you understand - english is not easy

Chris, the Spyder does not like slippery conditions. The engine will bog down when the rear wheel starts to spin. Other riders have found the same thing happens on ice.

Bruce

bone crusher
04-28-2009, 02:47 PM
yikes...

Lamonster
04-28-2009, 02:48 PM
If you listen to my Spyder at 1:04 of this video you'll hear the motor cut out for the same reason.

YouTube- Broadcast Yourself.

COOLMACHINE
04-28-2009, 05:21 PM
chris (austria is not australia) :dontknow:

dough!!! :roflblack:

Just Doo Me
04-28-2009, 06:55 PM
If you listen to my Spyder at 1:04 of this video you'll hear the motor cut out for the same reason.

YouTube - Broadcast Yourself. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAUdFa1ayC4)
Lamont that is the same flat spot I have on my bike[Hindle] when accellarating from a turn,no lights on the cluster to indicate vss coming on.Is this fuel or electronics?So Chris yours is not the only bike that has this problem:gaah:.

Firefly
04-28-2009, 07:52 PM
If your steering is turned 5 degrees from center or more in either direction, and rear wheel slip is detected, power will be cut.....(BRP wants to save you from yourself):doorag:

So grasshopper - how can we tweak those sensors to make it more like 15 degrees from center?

It's embarassing to try and exit my driveway and lay down a patch only to have the rotax bog down because I'm making a bit of a turn!

I've been able to get some better action by really feathing the clutch-- which makes me wonder if maybe the clutch switch is wired into the system--- hmmmmm - as in--- maybe if Spyder thinks the clutch is in it won't worry about killing the engine?

Smylinacha
04-28-2009, 08:29 PM
I'm thinking we spike the tire so it doesn't realize it is in a slippery place. sort of like wearing cleats, right?:2thumbs:

Roaddog2
04-28-2009, 09:16 PM
If your steering is turned 5 degrees from center or more in either direction, and rear wheel slip is detected, power will be cut.....(BRP wants to save you from yourself):doorag:I guess it's to late for me:helpsmilie::gaah:

Roaddog2
04-28-2009, 09:17 PM
I'm thinking we spike the tire so it doesn't realize it is in a slippery place. sort of like wearing cleats, right?:2thumbs:WRONG!:ani29:

jeuchler
04-28-2009, 09:27 PM
That's the million dollar question. (Maybe a steering sensor mod that sends a constant nuetral signal:dontknow:)Until it's answered we'll have to settle for finishing the turn before makin' smoke:D

Ha!

I didn't want to admit it, but that just happened to me when Barb and I returned to the Scene of The (Banner) Crime

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/image.php?u=1598&type=sigpic&dateline=1239044242
...at the Royal Diner on Sunday and when we pulled away...well, I don't think the twenty other bikers there were impressed. :opps:

chris56
04-28-2009, 11:57 PM
yesterday i stood in the middle of the street - motor cutted off..
so i find most times this is more dangerous instead of a help ..
visiting a friend who bought an old farmehouse for wekend-parties which is a little downhill i came down the forest road easy..
back home i was the joke for the people there - tried everything to come up the street - on the end i drove inverted with the reverse gear ...
the motor did not "splutter" it always shut off - a lot of restarts ..
and this was a kind of street what i would always with my BMW without any thinking ..not coming up again..
i hope someone can change this programm (if its standard) - before i start my summer tour italy / greece ..
did not get any statements from brp
:mad::mad::mad:

trikester
04-29-2009, 12:55 AM
Because I ride mine at my desert place and the roads as well as my driveway are sandy and gravelly I have learned to begin backing up by slipping the clutch and accelerating very slowly. If the wheel slips at all in reverse the engine will shut off and have to be restarted. It was very embarrassing before I figured out how to back up on a loose surface.

Quite a long time back someone posted about this and brought up the danger it presents if the Spyder were parked pointed downhill, on loose dirt, and a cliff was ahead. The Spyder would be stuck, and possibly slipping closer to the edge, if there was not enough room to turn around and ride up the hill. This situation could easily arise at mountain or canyon viewpoint overlooks, aproached by a dirt road.

I think it is not a good thing that BRP did here! :mad:

chris56
04-29-2009, 02:33 AM
..is it so much work to bring a software-update ??
or is there a official statement about this "problem"
chris

NancysToy
04-29-2009, 07:01 AM
Chris, this doesn't sound normal to me. If you are flashing no codes, I suspect you may have a bad antenna or key on the anti-theft system, or a bad ignition switch or kill switch. I think it's time to see your dealer. The Spyder shouldn't do this in the middle of the road in a forward gear, even if it is extremely slippery.
-Scotty http://www.pmdawnonline.com/forum/images/smilies/velo.gif

BajaRon
04-29-2009, 08:40 AM
yesterday i stood in the middle of the street - motor cutted off..
so i find most times this is more dangerous instead of a help ..
visiting a friend who bought an old farmehouse for wekend-parties which is a little downhill i came down the forest road easy..
back home i was the joke for the people there - tried everything to come up the street - on the end i drove inverted with the reverse gear ...
the motor did not "splutter" it always shut off - a lot of restarts ..
and this was a kind of street what i would always with my BMW without any thinking ..not coming up again..
i hope someone can change this programm (if its standard) - before i start my summer tour italy / greece ..
did not get any statements from brp
:mad::mad::mad:

I've had the same problem. As I get more frustrated with the engine shutting off I get more agressive, making the problem worse.

There are times when there is no remedy, but being very gentile gets me out of most situations like this with the Spyder. Very much against my nature, but better than having people laugh while you fume.

If there was just a switch (which could be timed, even 15 seconds would be nice) that turned off all the nanny sensors so you could extricate yourself from otherwise embarrising situations that would be great.

And we would all swear never to abuse our Spyders while the Nanny wasn't looking.... :roflblack:

chris56
04-29-2009, 08:51 AM
If there was just a switch (which could be timed, even 15 seconds would be nice) that turned off all the nanny sensors so you could extricate yourself from otherwise embarrising situations that would be great.

... crazy - this was exact my idea what I also told some guys here in the rotax-factory.. thought i´m the only (crazy) guy with this problem..
with around 7000 mls last season maybe they allow me some testdrives without the little-helper
keep you informed
chris

chris56
04-29-2009, 08:56 AM
Chris, this doesn't sound normal to me. If you are flashing no codes, I suspect you may have a bad antenna or key on the anti-theft system, or a bad ignition switch or kill switch. I think it's time to see your dealer. The Spyder shouldn't do this in the middle of the road in a forward gear, even if it is extremely slippery.
-Scotty http://www.pmdawnonline.com/forum/images/smilies/velo.gif

drove too long (7000mls) and have for shure no problems with kill-switch or so - my spyder had all this miles absolut never any electronic or other problems :congrats: - but if i would be on tour all alone and this would happen...I think you know what i mean
chris

Firefly
04-29-2009, 09:11 AM
The engine should NEVER turn off while going forward. The VSS will cut it out - but never totally OFF - that only happens in reverse.

If you're doing the 'Nanny Sputter' in forward when slipping AND turning - that is unfortunately considered 'normal'. You can spin the rear tire up to around 33 mph as long as you're going straight. Turn the wheels and the Nanny Sputter starts.

I would prefer the Nanny not kick in at all until around 25 mph.

Firefly
04-29-2009, 11:05 AM
Actually, Magic Man revealed the secret a while back on how to temporarily disable the VSS for dyno testing only.

Disable the wheels' ABS sensors (open the circuit between the sensors and the processor) through a series of four (two for the rear) switches or relays.

Right - but that isn't what we really want to do. Sure you can just zip-tie the sensors somewhere else on the bike so it doesn't know you're moving - but then you also won't get any speed reading to ride by.

I think what we all want is some way to tweak the VSS settings depending on our own abilities - not to totally disable it. If I'm going 80mph through some twisties and hit some sand (done it many times) then I really want that VSS to keep my back tire under me!

chris56
04-29-2009, 11:21 AM
[quote=ataDude;93394]Actually, Magic Man revealed the secret a while back on how to temporarily disable the VSS for dyno testing only.

Disable the wheels' ABS sensors (open the circuit between the sensors and the processor) through a series of four (two for the rear) switches or relays.

.[/quote
things like that i would`nt "offer" in a forum - today i did a rain-trip for testing my new sleeves/raincoat/handguards...
unbelievable what all this electronic is able to do - there is no bike in the world which i could drive in "that way" in heavy rain..
so i would need a new software-solution..
chris

ataDude
04-29-2009, 12:58 PM
...things like that i would`nt "offer" in a forum...

Oh. Excuse me... I thought you wanted a solution to your problem. I must have misunderstood. :dontknow: :shocked:

ataDude
04-29-2009, 02:36 PM
...Right - but that isn't what we really want to do. Sure you can just zip-tie the sensors somewhere else on the bike so it doesn't know you're moving - but then you also won't get any speed reading to ride by....

Well, I did mention switches and relays... that would make it an on-demand, temporary deal. Never mentioned zip-ties. Geez. :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes:

Director
04-29-2009, 02:39 PM
Well, I did mention switches and relays... that would make it an on-demand, temporary deal. Never mentioned zip-ties. Geez. :yikes:

You have probably heard the expression, "No good deed goes unpunished." Case in point. :D

Bruce

ataDude
04-29-2009, 02:44 PM
You have probably heard the expression, "No good deed goes unpunished." Case in point. :D

Bruce

Isn't that the :cus: truth. :gaah:

vt228
04-29-2009, 03:41 PM
..is it so much work to bring a software-update ??
or is there a official statement about this "problem"
chris
go have them plug her in and it well give them a code if there is a sencer or a fuzz or wire miss fireing mine was a sencer engin light came on she backfired and stalled I got restarted and went to the dealer and he pluged it in and found it was a seccer relay.so go get it serviced ..:lecturef_smilie: