PDA

View Full Version : Hi all - Harbor Freight Trailer. Anyone have one?

jimmybarton
06-07-2017, 11:51 AM
I'm looking to purchase an affordable trailer for the long trips since my wife loves to take her wardrobe :banghead: with her. That's ok though cause she never complains about anything and she loves to ride. What more could I ask for :yes:. I'm looking at the Harbor Freight types cause the BRP and similar types are tooooo expensive. I'm lucky to even have this bike (F3s-SE6) because the payments are quite a lot so anyone out there with a similar size wallet and also has a low cost trailer that works just fine then please share your info. You guys with mucho $$ and expensive toys of all types please share your thoughts too cause I'm sure you have lots of wisdom on trailer pulling, etc. Have a nice day guys. :clap:

Firefly
06-07-2017, 12:06 PM
I'm looking to purchase an affordable trailer for the long trips since my wife loves to take her wardrobe :banghead: with her. That's ok though cause she never complains about anything and she loves to ride. What more could I ask for :yes:. I'm looking at the Harbor Freight types cause the BRP and similar types are tooooo expensive. I'm lucky to even have this bike (F3s-SE6) because the payments are quite a lot so anyone out there with a similar size wallet and also has a low cost trailer that works just fine then please share your info. You guys with mucho $$ and expensive toys of all types please share your thoughts too cause I'm sure you have lots of wisdom on trailer pulling, etc. Have a nice day guys. :clap:

I have one (no longer use it with my F3). I put a Sears Cargo- top thing on it and it works pretty well. Try and get the trailer that has the larger tires on it. I think mine was around $200 when it was on a 40% off sale. I spray coated it with truck bed liner.....

Haze
06-07-2017, 12:21 PM
Check out the Motocampers.com web site. A lot of the riders tow the Tag-Along.
You will find several threads with build instructions and modifications for bike towing.
I, too, am in the market for a "taggy".
Good luck with your search.

BLUEKNIGHT911
06-07-2017, 12:33 PM
I have one (no longer use it with my F3). I put a Sears Cargo- top thing on it and it works pretty well. Try and get the trailer that has the larger tires on it. I think mine was around $200 when it was on a 40% off sale. I spray coated it with truck bed liner.....
:agree::agree::agree: .... In addition ....also did the Sears X- Cargo car top carrier .... got that for $20.00 at a garage sale :yes:..... checke the bearings also and put LED lights on it if it doesn't have them ..... this will be MORE compatible with the Spyder electrics , and won't throw codes , plus they last forever and don't corrode ....... Mike :thumbup:

blacklightning
06-07-2017, 12:53 PM
The little Harbor freight trailers are just fine. A friend of mine just got back from the 10th anniversary trip in Canada. He never had any issues with it. He still has the smaller tires, but just makes sure the bearings are fully greased.

jimmybarton
06-07-2017, 01:31 PM
someone said something about using larger tires. Most of these small trailers come with 4.5 x 12" tires. Are these small or is that what your talking about? ...the other part of this discussion is the electrical aspect. Is it ok to just pigtail the trailer lights into the rear tail lights of the spyder?

easysuper
06-07-2017, 02:31 PM
Had one used it a lot , just wasn't happy with the looks, but they are great little trailers, I changed the bolts on the inside that hold it to the frame too eye bolts so I could secure the stuff inside from bouncing around, my wife and I spent a week on the road with my son and granddaughter going down the PCH from Astoria to Malibu and it held all our camping gear to stay in cabins along the route. Just keep the wheels greased. You can find them on Craigs list, that's where I got mine.

BLUEKNIGHT911
06-07-2017, 05:00 PM
someone said something about using larger tires. Most of these small trailers come with 4.5 x 12" tires. Are these small or is that what your talking about? ...the other part of this discussion is the electrical aspect. Is it ok to just pigtail the trailer lights into the rear tail lights of the spyder?
I would look at what Value Accessories has to connect to Spyder wiring ......... I think you mean 8 or 10 inch tires .... a trailer of this weight needs nothing larger than a 12 inch ..... you can also up-grade to " C " OR " D " tire ..... Mike :thumbup:

UtahPete
06-07-2017, 05:17 PM
I'm looking to purchase an affordable trailer for the long trips since my wife loves to take her wardrobe with her.

I'm looking at the Harbor Freight types cause the BRP and similar types are tooooo expensive. I'm lucky to even have this bike (F3s-SE6) because the payments are quite a lot so anyone out there with a similar size wallet and also has a low cost trailer that works just fine then please share your info.

I have the HF Tag-a-long trailer, which works pretty well for cargo as you are talking about. About all I did to it is remove a leaf from the springs to give it a more compliant ride, and use weatherstripping along the lip of the plastic cargo box to give it more rain and dust resistance. It works fine as is.

I use a CPAP at night, and sometimes we camp, so I added a battery box and small 12v battery. Some people put a platform there to carry a cooler. Then, a cheap swing-down type leg to support the tongue when it's off the bike. Spray painted the top (which comes black) for a little bling.

I also added a swiveling hitch because I tow it mostly with my 2-wheeler but you won't need to do that. It holds quite a bit actually.

Does your bike have the OEM trailer connection? It's a 4-square and the standard trailer connectors are flat-4. I got this from Amazon and made up my own adapter https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004BE60ZU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 .

I would not 'pigtail' it into the rear lighting circuits unless that was the only option I had. Then, you need to be aware that any electrical problems you create could void parts of your warranty. I didn't have any problems with mine and I went with the stock non-LED tail lights on the trailer.

WA5VHU
06-07-2017, 07:00 PM
Yep, mine works fine, did most of the mods mentioned here. The small wheels are fine, though I haven't had mine up much over 90 mph...

WA5VHU
06-07-2017, 07:03 PM
Oh yeah, if she needs to take stuff for more than one season...

spacetiger
06-07-2017, 07:24 PM
check youtube. I think there are some posts talking about what they did to make it better.

retread
06-07-2017, 08:55 PM
Oh yeah, if she needs to take stuff for more than one season...
What did you do to extend the tongue? I like the handle.
I took the 4.80 by 8 wheels off, replaced them with 4.80 by 12, made a kickstand, and replaced the lights with leds. I've got about 4K miles with no problems.
I tried slightly wider 12 inch wheels, 5,35, I think, but they wouldn't clear the frame.

john

hawkiii
06-07-2017, 09:55 PM
I had one with the GS. When building, I put rubber between the metal to metal contact locations. Removed one of the leaf springs and make sure you repack the wheel bearings. It will work just fine. I put over 30,000 miles on that trailer. Now with the F3 I am pulling a Can Am Freedom trailer. Love it.

stevencovert
06-08-2017, 08:29 AM
Search for keyword "Harbor Freight" and look for my name. I posted my experience using one (the one with the clamshell). Was like $200 with coupons during a sale. Larger tires not needed at all. Had to do some filing of two holes as they didn't line up. Rubber bands on the chain hooks as the bouncy road pops them out the slots. DEFINITELY search on Google for the trailer, the one thing you MUST do is pull the wheel bearings and pack with real grease. Pulled mine off and sure enough just a little wipe of vasoline looking goop. I've got a lot of miles on it, never a problem. With the torque of the 1330 I don't even know its behind me. I went this route as I only need one maybe 2-3 times a year. Would be nice to have about another foot length on the tongue, but the Chinese use a weird rectangle shape tube not the "standard" square.

I went cheap with the $350ish trailer kit and harness. Be sure to get the harness that has relays, so there is no direct connection to Nanny to upset her. Also will need the 5 wire to 4 wire converter from any auto store ($25). There ends up being a lot of cabling in the left tail light area. I slipped the flat cable through the seam at the bottom of area, where plastic overlaps. Holds the plug nicely went not in use.

Steve

WA5VHU
06-08-2017, 10:12 AM
What did you do to extend the tongue? I like the handle.
I took the 4.80 by 8 wheels off, replaced them with 4.80 by 12, made a kickstand, and replaced the lights with leds. I've got about 4K miles with no problems.
I tried slightly wider 12 inch wheels, 5,35, I think, but they wouldn't clear the frame.

john

John,
To extend the tongue I went down to a local metal supplier and got a length of 2" x 2" steel square tubing and replaced the HF tongue with my longer one, easy to do with only one U-clamp and one bolt holding it on. If you note the picture at the beach the tongue was actually a bit too long so in the second picture it is shorter after I cut it off by a foot or so. I lengthened it to keep the tongue weight down as I was carrying a Honda Eu1000i generator in a box where most put their ice chest and the longer tubing did indeed reduce the tongue weight.

I did the same mods as you mentioned plus a few others, the handle I picked up at a Ham Radio flea market, it was some kind of electronic equipment handle. It is nice and smooth.

I kept the small wheels because according to the Internet trolls that have never owned a trailer with small wheels they will cause the earth to stop spinning and fling us all into outer space and I've never been there before.
:yes:

BigGuy66
06-08-2017, 10:32 AM
(snip) Then, a cheap swing-down type leg to support the tongue when it's off the bike... (snip)

Where did you buy this leg support? Nice addition....

UtahPete
06-08-2017, 11:10 AM
Where did you buy this leg support? Nice addition....

I got mine at eTrailer.com, but they are available at any trailer supply store.

teadave
06-08-2017, 07:09 PM
Excellent trailer for the price. Read the goldwing forums for their modifications/upgrades.
Would buy another if this one were to leave...

jimmybarton
06-09-2017, 10:32 AM
Thanks guys, I've got a treasure trove of great info from your experiences and travels. I've got a strong desire to do some serious traveling so with a small tag-a-long trailer and some other spyder upgrades I feel confident that I'll be able to pull it off with the wife. She is fairly new to motorbike traveling in general but very eager to just go riding quite often to visit the kids or try out a good place to eat at some unique place miles away. We both like camping so that's another good reason for the trailer to haul a tent and some cooking gear and plenty of mosquito repellant to join in with some biker friends to visit the central, eastern and southeast part of America where I've lived for 71 years. :yes:149068 Happy sails to you...

UtahPete
06-09-2017, 10:54 AM
Thanks guys, I've got a treasure trove of great info from your experiences and travels. I've got a strong desire to do some serious traveling so with a small tag-a-long trailer and some other spyder upgrades I feel confident that I'll be able to pull it off with the wife. She is fairly new to motorbike traveling in general but very eager to just go riding quite often to visit the kids or try out a good place to eat at some unique place miles away.

We both like camping so that's another good reason for the trailer to haul a tent and some cooking gear and plenty of mosquito repellant to join in with some biker friends to visit the central, eastern and southeast part of America where I've lived for 71 years.

Travel out west and you can pretty much ditch the repellant! We are headed out today for a trial run of camping with the Spyder, my Vstar, the pet trailer and the HF trailer filled with camping gear so we may have more to add once the trip is over.

jimmybarton
06-09-2017, 02:48 PM
Travel out west and you can pretty much ditch the repellant! We are headed out today for a trial run of camping with the Spyder, my Vstar, the pet trailer and the HF trailer filled with camping gear so we may have more to add once the trip is over.
I'd like to take a trip to the Grand Cayon some day. What's the best route?

johnwinslow
06-09-2017, 08:25 PM
I'm looking to purchase an affordable trailer for the long trips since my wife loves to take her wardrobe :banghead: with her. That's ok though cause she never complains about anything and she loves to ride. What more could I ask for :yes:. I'm looking at the Harbor Freight types cause the BRP and similar types are tooooo expensive. I'm lucky to even have this bike (F3s-SE6) because the payments are quite a lot so anyone out there with a similar size wallet and also has a low cost trailer that works just fine then please share your info. You guys with mucho $$ and expensive toys of all types please share your thoughts too cause I'm sure you have lots of wisdom on trailer pulling, etc. Have a nice day guys. :clap:this is my harbor freight trailer I have LED lights, and the brake lights should be separate to be spyder compatable. I extended the rear bumper to carry my 10x10 easy up canopy, it has a tool box and I replaced the cooler with an Igloo 12 volt 120 ac electric because ice is heavy and messy it will carry a lot and tows like it was not there buy the spare tire and grease the bearings before your first trip and all ways touch the hubs with the back of your hand, they should never be hot

zuni
06-10-2017, 10:08 AM
Here are links to my HF trailer

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=oa.10154147950981904&type=1

bunch of mods
12" tires
removed 1 leaf from spring
installed teflon pads where spring touches frame to reduce squeaks
slipped bolts for leaf spring through rubber tube to reduce rattle
carpet covered panel inside
changed bolts that mount to frame to eye bolts for tie downs
interior lighting on tilt switch
interior lighting on switches to run off battery in trailer or bike
charging ports in interior battery box
painted top white pearl to match spyder
changed indicator lights to led
changed bearings and added grease fittings
sprayed rubberized bed liner into frame tubes

probably more I am forgetting

CJ JAX

UtahPete
06-11-2017, 08:07 PM
I'd like to take a trip to the Grand Cayon some day. What's the best route?

Well I can give you some ideas if you can give me a little more info. Like, how long do you want to be gone for this trip? What do you like to see or do when traveling like this? There are some really great National Parks to visit on a trip out West - is that something you would like to do? Do you like getting away from it all, trying new things, or are you more comfortable staying with the tried and true?

If you would like to pursue this some more let's start a new thread; exploring the southwest US or something along those lines.

jimmybarton
07-11-2017, 02:23 PM
this is my harbor freight trailer I have LED lights, and the brake lights should be separate to be spyder compatable. I extended the rear bumper to carry my 10x10 easy up canopy, it has a tool box and I replaced the cooler with an Igloo 12 volt 120 ac electric because ice is heavy and messy it will carry a lot and tows like it was not there buy the spare tire and grease the bearings before your first trip and all ways touch the hubs with the back of your hand, they should never be hot
Your setup is very similar to what I'm looking to do. Where did you get the car top storage thingie? I'm having a hard time finding a used one in decent shape. Also, I like you electric cooler idea.

UtahPete
07-11-2017, 03:23 PM
Your setup is very similar to what I'm looking to do. Where did you get the car top storage thingie? I'm having a hard time finding a used one in decent shape. Also, I like you electric cooler idea.

The Harbor Freight Tag-a-long trailer comes with the storage box. I was going to post a link to it on the HF website, but it's no longer there; I don't know if they have stopped carrying it or what.

There are other ABS clamshell type rooftop boxes you can buy at different places and just attach it to your HF frame.

This is Amazon's selection, but Sears and other automotive stores usually carry something like it https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_3_11?url=search-alias%3Dautomotive&field-keywords=hard+shell+cargo+carrier&sprefix=hard+shell+%2Ctools%2C172&crid=2SXYFRLCZZAE7

BlueKnight
07-11-2017, 04:41 PM
I had the HF Tag-A-Long trailer, it does come with 8" tires which seemed fine going down the road with no problems. You could upgrade and buy the 12" tires and put those on, you will have to upgrade the lights to LED's, and just a side note you can't use the discount coupons on the trailers anymore.

You're right Pete, it's not on their website...guess you would have to call a store and see whats up.

BlueKnight
07-12-2017, 04:38 PM
According to Harbor Freight directly, their Tag Along Trailer has been discontinued.

hillbillywhisperer
07-13-2017, 09:15 AM
Northern Tool is probably about as close as you will get to HF.

2RTsGV
07-13-2017, 11:27 AM
this is my harbor freight trailer I have LED lights, and the brake lights should be separate to be spyder compatable. I extended the rear bumper to carry my 10x10 easy up canopy, it has a tool box and I replaced the cooler with an Igloo 12 volt 120 ac electric because ice is heavy and messy it will carry a lot and tows like it was not there buy the spare tire and grease the bearings before your first trip and all ways touch the hubs with the back of your hand, they should never be hot

Where did you buy the tray that is holding the cooler?

Macgyver55
08-29-2017, 01:10 PM
I'm looking to purchase an affordable trailer for the long trips since my wife loves to take her wardrobe :banghead: with her. That's ok though cause she never complains about anything and she loves to ride. What more could I ask for :yes:. I'm looking at the Harbor Freight types cause the BRP and similar types are tooooo expensive. I'm lucky to even have this bike (F3s-SE6) because the payments are quite a lot so anyone out there with a similar size wallet and also has a low cost trailer that works just fine then please share your info. You guys with mucho $$ and expensive toys of all types please share your thoughts too cause I'm sure you have lots of wisdom on trailer pulling, etc. Have a nice day guys. :clap: I have a harbor frieght trailer for sale it has a mounted rear bumper that you can reverse and make a station to have it level with wheels off the ground led lights is on offer up listed under motorcycle and camping category port jervis ny 12771 asking $425.00 there are pictures of it there check it out thanks