PDA

View Full Version : Question for enhanced driver's license....

wyliec
06-06-2017, 08:34 AM
If I take the spyder into Canada, and already have the wallet sized passport card, what's the benefit of the NYS enhanced driver's license?

SpyderAnn01
06-06-2017, 08:44 AM
Everyone who wants to board an airplane will have to have the enhanced license at some point.

wyliec
06-06-2017, 08:52 AM
Everyone who wants to board an airplane will have to have the enhanced license at some point.

Does that mean the wallet size passport won't be able to be used for boarding? My NYS license is due in a few months, and I received notice yesterday, and am trying to determine if the extra $30 is worth it.

I just read the back of the passport card, and I'll be getting the enhanced license. Thanks for the heads up.

cuznjohn
06-06-2017, 09:15 AM
http://www.dmv.org/driving-abroad/passport-license.php

Easy Rider
06-06-2017, 10:53 AM
Does that mean the wallet size passport won't be able to be used for boarding? My NYS license is due in a few months, and I received notice yesterday, and am trying to determine if the extra $30 is worth it.

I just read the back of the passport card, and I'll be getting the enhanced license. Thanks for the heads up.

In most states, the "enhanced" license is not optional. I didn't think it would be anywhere.

And I thought that a recently issued passport (a full sized one) would carry the same privileges as an enhanced license......well except for the actual driving part. Not true ??

Tazzel
06-06-2017, 11:22 AM
As someone that processes passports, a passport card or an Enhanced Drivers licenses does not allow a person to fly period! (outside the US border). So if for any reason you are in Canada, Mexico, or have taken a cruise to Canada, Mexico, Bermuda, or Caribbean with only the passport card or enhanced drivers license and something happened, you could not fly back with either of these cards. I highly recommend the full passport book if traveling outside of the US.

Firefly
06-06-2017, 12:12 PM
What Tazzel said..... get a full passport. Mine took less than 4 weeks to get and is good for 10 years.

PrairieSpyder
06-06-2017, 01:51 PM
In most states, the "enhanced" license is not optional. I didn't think it would be anywhere.

And I thought that a recently issued passport (a full sized one) would carry the same privileges as an enhanced license......well except for the actual driving part. Not true ??

Kansas doesn't have enhanced DLs. I'd never even heard of them except for discussions on this board. Maybe they're common in states near international borders.

ARtraveler
06-06-2017, 02:25 PM
We are getting close to "enhanced" licenses in Alaska now. They are supposed to be available later this summer. What I don't like: There is a spot for thumbprint and retinal scan on the new licenses. And, we get to pay an additional $40 for the privilege.

Things are starting to get very personal--IMO. :thumbup:

oldguyinTX
06-06-2017, 02:29 PM
The enhanced license or "Real ID" as it is called is a federal thing. Some states have been granted an extension for compliance, and there are (I think) nine states that are non-compliant at this point. I know that PA is one of them, as my daughter lives there. In any case, The full federal legislation goes into affect sometime in 2018. What will happen with states that are non-compliant, I have no idea. As others on this thread have pointed out, at some point you will not be able to board an aircraft in the U.S. without it, although the TSA will accept a passport for identification. Here is more info.

https://www.tsa.gov/sites/default/files/resources/realid_factsheet.pdf

Oh, and BTW, without a Real ID, as of now - well several months ago - you cannot enter numerous federal installations such as a military base.

Tazzel
06-06-2017, 02:32 PM
What Tazzel said..... get a full passport. Mine took less than 4 weeks to get and is good for 10 years.

The current wait time for a Passport is 6 to 8 weeks now unless you pay for expedite and that is an additional 60.00 for each application. It is then 2 to 3 weeks for expedited passport. There are additional fees if you need it even earlier then that and then you have to have documented travel plans leaving in less then 14 days. Some of these expedite offices are booked out for weeks. My advice is to plan ahead for out of the US travels.

Bob Denman
06-06-2017, 02:32 PM
:agree: You don't want to run afoul of the Border Patrols! :shocked:

Firefly
06-06-2017, 02:41 PM
The current wait time for a Passport is 6 to 8 weeks now unless you pay for expedite and that is an additional 60.00 for each application. It is then 2 to 3 weeks for expedited passport. There are additional fees if you need it even earlier then that and then you have to have documented travel plans leaving in less then 14 days. Some of these expedite offices are booked out for weeks. My advice is to plan ahead for out of the US travels.

I literally just did mine 2 months ago. Didn't do the expedited or anything special.. took 4 weeks when they said 6-8.

Maybe I got lucky.

Easy Rider
06-06-2017, 02:51 PM
Kansas doesn't have enhanced DLs. I'd never even heard of them except for discussions on this board. Maybe they're common in states near international borders.

(Edit: Never mind. See post #10 above.)

I'm pretty sure that Homeland Security laws required all states to have them.......or that you had to have some kind of "enhanced" ID in order to fly or go on a ship.....even within the States. I don't know what the time limit was though.

It is possible that your state changed over with no additional fees and you didn't even notice it.......IF they had good enough screening in the first place.

wyliec
06-06-2017, 03:10 PM

I've had a full size passport for years. The last time I renewed, I got the additional wallet size also, and have used that zero times.

wyliec
06-06-2017, 03:12 PM
https://www.tsa.gov/sites/default/files/resources/realid_factsheet.pdf

Oh, and BTW, without a Real ID, as of now - well several months ago - you cannot enter numerous federal installations such as a military base.

I have a military I.D. to get on base.

Deanna777
06-06-2017, 03:40 PM
What Tazzel said..... get a full passport. Mine took less than 4 weeks to get and is good for 10 years.Last year I applied for my passport, it took about 1-2 weeks to get my passport, and it is also good for 10 years. No problems getting my passport. I applied at the my local post office( they had a banner on there building saying apply for a passport here, they had passport applications there).

Or I could have gone to Newport, VT. to give them passport application.

I also, have my Vt. enhanced Drivers license.

Deanna

Deanna777
06-06-2017, 03:43 PM
Kansas doesn't have enhanced DLs. I'd never even heard of them except for discussions on this board. Maybe they're common in states near international borders.Pattie, I have had my enhanced Drivers License for a long time, w/my endorsement on it.
Deanna

Deanna777
06-06-2017, 03:49 PM
The current wait time for a Passport is 6 to 8 weeks now unless you pay for expedite and that is an additional 60.00 for each application. It is then 2 to 3 weeks for expedited passport. There are additional fees if you need it even earlier then that and then you have to have documented travel plans leaving in less then 14 days. Some of these expedite offices are booked out for weeks. My advice is to plan ahead for out of the US travels.Tazzel, I got my passport in 1- 2 weeks, last year. I did not have them expedite the passport. Deanna

MurrayBrown
06-06-2017, 04:26 PM
If I take the spyder into Canada, and already have the wallet sized passport card, what's the benefit of the NYS enhanced driver's license?

Get a Passport. For us in Canada, we cannot go into the USA ... even by vehicle i.e. Spyder ... without a Passport. Period.
Besides, if you do go elsewhere you will absolutely require a Passport to get on any airplane anywhere in the world.

Tazzel
06-06-2017, 04:57 PM
Tazzel, I got my passport in 1- 2 weeks, last year. I did not have them expedite the passport. Deanna

Yes I know they were coming faster a few years ago but now the passport agencies are swamped (because of Trump ( I did not say that out loud)) and with all the uncertainties with travel, the States are overrun. The State is not guaranteeing anything before 6 to 8 weeks. All I am saying is if people you know are saying they got them in 4 weeks it is not a guarantee and to plan your trip according what is being guaranteed. Also for first time passport applicants, the agencies are really cracking down and you must allow time if the agency contacts you for further documentation or they do not like your picture or any other number of things.

bmccaffrey
06-06-2017, 06:55 PM
Top (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?105221-Does-this-look-ok-on-my-belt&p=1266193&posted=1#top)

Nope don't need it with passport card.

Card will by far over ride drivers license

bmccaffrey
06-06-2017, 06:59 PM
Thet are also doing away with the old style passport and upgrading

SPYD1
06-06-2017, 07:19 PM
I literally just did mine 2 months ago. Didn't do the expedited or anything special.. took 4 weeks when they said 6-8.

Maybe I got lucky.
Same timing here. Same result for both wife and I.

Arion
06-06-2017, 07:25 PM

I can take my Spyder aboard an airplane?!?! Spectacular! New Zealand here we come. ;) :yes: