PDA

View Full Version : 600 mile svc

dsteve931
06-04-2017, 09:51 PM
How many of u have did our own 600 mile service? And did u have any warranty issues?

jcthorne
06-05-2017, 08:58 AM
600 mile service is only on 998 bikes.

That said, you can do your own maintenance as long as the work is documented for warranty purposes.

Chupaca
06-05-2017, 09:12 AM
Whatever the first service mileage is for your model I always recommend that the dealer performs it. There is more to it than an oil change and they kown what to look for. You also need the BUDS program to check for stored codes you never know about and updates that can be made to the software. You are also better off if you should ever have a warranty claim to have record they checked your vehicle out and was breaking in properly...after that you can do it all maintenace yourself. Do suggest a visit to the dealer from time to time to have your ryde hooked up to BUDS and check for codes, performance and updates...:thumbup:

ARtraveler
06-05-2017, 11:12 AM
Per previous posts he has an ST. (998 engine). You can do it yourself. I was one that did not. As mentioned in previous posts, the initial break in service is deemed important. They may catch something that was not right at set up.

It is still your choice. It all boils down to how good of a :spyder2: mechanic you are. :thumbup:

JAS POWER
06-05-2017, 11:45 AM
In my opinion the biggest advantage of a dealer doing it is their ability to plug into BUDS to check for updates, & stored codes. As far as them covering future warranty I believe no OEM by law can not cover something just because work was done by you, and not a dealer. That goes true for non OEM parts (After market) a manufacturer can't deny warranty just because a after market part was used UNLESS the after market part caused the problem. Its under the Magnuson-Moss warranty act...

Under the Magnuson-Moss warranty Act and Regulations of the Federal Trade Commission, a manufacturer giving a written warranty on a consumer product may not condition the warranty of such product on the consumer using any article (other than an article provided without charge under the terms of the warranty) which are identified by brand or corporate name.

I myself highly recommend using OEM parts, but thats my opinion.