PDA

View Full Version : Prairie on the Atlantic

PrairieSpyder
06-04-2017, 09:17 PM
With Homecoming over, the rest of my June will be spend going down the Atlantic coast. Well, as much June as passes until I decide to head home. We'll see if I make all the way to Florida.

I decided to leave Drummondville, QC today (a day early) not knowing for sure where my next stop would be. I had been thinking about this general trip for quite a while, and after refueling I finally decided to go east to New Brunswick and stay over at Edmundston, right across from Madawaska, Me. Tomorrow I'll cross the border and start down US-1 - south along the Canada border and then down the coast about 30 miles. Then I'll spend a couple nights exploring the eastern-most bit of the USA. Then on to Bar Harbor and Acadia NP.

I'll post pics and comments as I go.

ARtraveler
06-04-2017, 09:36 PM
With Homecoming over, the rest of my June will be spend going down the Atlantic coast. Well, as much June as passes until I decide to head home. We'll see if I make all the way to Florida.

I decided to leave Drummondville, QC today (a day early) not knowing for sure where my next stop would be. I had been thinking about this general trip for quite a while, and after refueling I finally decided to go east to New Brunswick and stay over at Edmundston, right across from Madawaska, Me. Tomorrow I'll cross the border and start down US-1 - south along the Canada border and then down the coast about 30 miles. Then I'll spend a couple nights exploring the eastern-most bit of the USA. Then on to Bar Harbor and Acadia NP.

When in Bar Harbor make sure to hit the LL Bean factory outlet store. :yes:

cuznjohn
06-04-2017, 09:41 PM
have a great and safe trip

BLUEKNIGHT911
06-04-2017, 10:49 PM

Patti, somewhere in Maine if you want to have the absolutely best Lobster you have ever eaten. Stop at a Lobster Pound where they cook them in Sea Water with Kelp in it ..... I've had lots of Lobster, cooked lots of ways but the aforementioned beats them all hands down ....... Mike :thumbup:

Bob Denman
06-05-2017, 06:46 AM
:D Are you going to be anywhere near us? :D

Trbayth
06-05-2017, 06:55 AM
Bob, not if she's going down US 1.

Just an FYI Patti, US 1 through the NYC metro area and down through Trenton NJ isn't a very nice road, is extremely heavy with traffic (especially trucks) and goes through some not very nice areas. Please be careful!

PrairieSpyder
06-05-2017, 07:15 AM
:D Are you going to be anywhere near us? :D

Bob, not if she's going down US 1.

Just an FYI Patti, US 1 through the NYC metro area and down through Trenton NJ isn't a very nice road, is extremely heavy with traffic (especially trucks) and goes through some not very nice areas. Please be careful!

I'm not exactly committing to staying on US-1. I'm also considering going over to Shenandoah NP/Skyline Drive for some Spyder ryding before heading back to the coast in South Carolina.

I know from my frequent business travel into Newark airport and northern NJ traffic to avoid that area. I'll probably veer west through Westchester County and then south I-287 and then on I-95.

Bob, I don't know if that's anywhere near your town.

Unlike my usual mode, I'm making this up about 2-3 days at a time.

Bob Denman
06-05-2017, 07:15 AM
:shocked: Useless-1?? :shocked:

SPYD3R
06-05-2017, 07:33 AM
don't forget Mt. Washington in New Hampshire.... if you bypass this, you'll be missing out on one of the best views in America....
stay as far away from Boston as you can.... unless you LOVE very heavy traffic, lights and stop-n-go....
best wishes and a safe ride...
Dan P
Easley, SC
SPYD3R

Bob Denman
06-05-2017, 07:36 AM
Patti,
Westchester is only about 70 miles from here... :thumbup:

SPYD3R
06-05-2017, 07:44 AM
don't forget Mt. Washington in New Hampshire.... if you bypass this, you'll be missing out on one of the best views in America....
stay as far away from Boston as you can.... unless you LOVE very heavy traffic, lights and stop-n-go....
Dan P
Easley, SC
SPYD3R

Lin
06-05-2017, 07:54 AM
If your trip nears Portsmouth, Route 1A along the short 18 mile coastline of New Hampshire is a beautiful drive. From Ordiorne Point to Hampton, it follows what is mainly a rocky coastline, waves crashing, with the Isles of Shoals visible just off the coast.

Yes I live here, but Portsmouth is worth a visit as well. A walking city with lots of restaurants.

Safe travels!

BLUEKNIGHT911
06-05-2017, 09:27 AM
Dan P
Easley, SC
SPYD3R
:agree::agree::agree: ......Dan forgot to mention that you get to DRIVE up 6 + miles of a road with views to DIE for ....... the only drawback is ....it has to be a good weather day ..... so check in advance as best you can ..... Mike :thumbup:

Deanna777
06-05-2017, 12:57 PM
Pattie,

The Kancamagus highway is a fantastic smooth road, ( a great spyder road) it has scenic places to pull off. The Kancamagus highway is Route 112 Starts @ Lincoln to Conway ( gas up before you on the Kancamagus highway) The Kancamagus highway stretches across the White Mountains for 34.5 miles. This scenic road climbs to nearly 3,000 feet as it traverses the flank of Mt Kancamagus.

Also, take a ride on the Bear Notch Road( from the Kancamagus Highway) it runs North/South this road is very smooth, a great spyder road, because of the twisties , very scenic. This road will take you to Route 302 into Bartlett. This is in the White Mountain National Forest.

Mike ( Blueknight911) and I have ridden on both roads on the spyders. I you don't get a chance to ride/or visit put the Kancamagus Highway/Bear Notch Road on your Bucket list.

Deanna

PrairieSpyder
06-05-2017, 09:22 PM
I'm in Machias, Maine for at least a couple nights. I need to get some laundry done and see about getting the wiring on my trailer fixed - in addition to the sight-seeing I want to do.

I had a little drama getting here from Edmundston, NB. As I approached the border crossing I reached into my wallet where I keep my passport. But it wasn't there! I'm in line and it moves up slowly. I search everywhere I can reach from the driver's seat, but no good. Two-lane bridge, no turning around to get out an search. So I maneuver into the box and let the guy know I'm in a panic and can't find my passport. He lets me search the car, then tells me to pull up so others can come through. He asks for my DL and asked several times if I had any fruits or veggies. He searches my purse, under the seats and in the cracks between the seats and console. He notes my CC permit and we talk about guns. In the area of my purse where I usually keep my revolver, he notices it's empty holster and the spare bullets I carry there. Comments that the Canadians must not have searched me going in.

He finally lets me go on and gives me directions to the highway I wanted. Nice guy and I'm so grateful for his attitude. A few blocks away I stop at McDonalds for breakfast (missed it at the hotel). Then I decided to check my rain gear. I had decided to carry my passport and phone in my cloth hip-bag, which got soaked in the rain at Homecoming. I remember noting my passport pages were getting curled, and I moved it to the inside pocket of my rain jacket. . . . . Panic over! :ohyea:

However, I also noted my small canvas bag in which I had my sorted meds is missing. Never found it in all the searching. I've got a call in to the hotels where I used it last. I have enough meds in the original bottles for about a week. So another task for tomorrow is finding a pharmacy and try to get them filled again. I'll also call my doc and give them a heads-up since I just had them all refilled a couple weeks ago.

The other drama was the bouncy roads I was on. The rear of the Spyder tried to dance sideways and the tire tie-downs on the from came loose. I got them back on and stopped at the next station where the attendant helped me square it up on the trailer and I re-did the front tie-downs. I have a plan for tying down the back so it can't move sideways, which will help the front end stay in place.

I have the Spyder off the trailer now so I can use it here. It'll be nice to get into the wind again tomorrow.

BLUEKNIGHT911
06-05-2017, 11:08 PM
I'm in Machias, Maine for at least a couple nights. I need to get some laundry done and see about getting the wiring on my trailer fixed - in addition to the sight-seeing I want to do.

I had a little drama getting here from Edmundston, NB. As I approached the border crossing I reached into my wallet where I keep my passport. But it wasn't there! I'm in line and it moves up slowly. I search everywhere I can reach from the driver's seat, but no good. Two-lane bridge, no turning around to get out an search. So I maneuver into the box and let the guy know I'm in a panic and can't find my passport. He lets me search the car, then tells me to pull up so others can come through. He asks for my DL and asked several times if I had any fruits or veggies. He searches my purse, under the seats and in the cracks between the seats and console. He notes my CC permit and we talk about guns. In the area of my purse where I usually keep my revolver, he notices it's empty holster and the spare bullets I carry there. Comments that the Canadians must not have searched me going in.

He finally lets me go on and gives me directions to the highway I wanted. Nice guy and I'm so grateful for his attitude. A few blocks away I stop at McDonalds for breakfast (missed it at the hotel). Then I decided to check my rain gear. I had decided to carry my passport and phone in my cloth hip-bag, which got soaked in the rain at Homecoming. I remember noting my passport pages were getting curled, and I moved it to the inside pocket of my rain jacket. . . . . Panic over! :ohyea:

However, I also noted my small canvas bag in which I had my sorted meds is missing. Never found it in all the searching. I've got a call in to the hotels where I used it last. I have enough meds in the original bottles for about a week. So another task for tomorrow is finding a pharmacy and try to get them filled again. I'll also call my doc and give them a heads-up since I just had them all refilled a couple weeks ago.

The other drama was the bouncy roads I was on. The rear of the Spyder tried to dance sideways and the tire tie-downs on the from came loose. I got them back on and stopped at the next station where the attendant helped me square it up on the trailer and I re-did the front tie-downs. I have a plan for tying down the back so it can't move sideways, which will help the front end stay in place.

I have the Spyder off the trailer now so I can use it here. It'll be nice to get into the wind again tomorrow.
Patti, I know you have the straps over the tires ..... they will work much better if the tire pressures are on the Low side ...... if you still have Kenda's the fronts can be 17 psi ..... but the rear should not be less than 26 psi ........ if you have car tires .... fronts can be 15 and rear 18 ...... Mike :thumbup:

PrairieSpyder
06-07-2017, 06:25 PM
I got stuff done yesterday - scrips filled, laundry, trailer repaired. So today I went northeast for some sightseeing. The West Quoddy Lighthouse is on the sight of the eastern-most point in the USA. But earlier, I was by my Spyder in Machias, getting ready to go when a white RT with a trailer honked and waved. Then I saw them (the Spyder, anyway) at the lighthouse. They must have been on a walking trail because I never saw the people it belonged to.

I had lunch in the town of Lubec which could have stood in for Cabot Cove. I assume the murder rate here is much better than wherever Jessica Fletcher lives.

Then I crossed a bridge on the Canada border to Campobello Island in New Brunswick where they have FDR's "cottage" where he summered throughout his life. It's on the site of the only international park in the world.

148959 148960 148961 148962 148963

Tomorrow I'll go to Bar Harbor and see Acadia National Park.

Bob Denman
06-07-2017, 06:30 PM
:clap: Nice pictures!! :2thumbs:

PrairieSpyder
06-07-2017, 06:44 PM
:clap: Nice pictures!! :2thumbs:

I had to post the pics from my phone, then add text using my laptop. Check back for the story.

Bob Denman
06-07-2017, 06:50 PM
:thumbup:
I wondered where the story was! :D
Now I can't wait to See Bah Habah!

BLUEKNIGHT911
06-07-2017, 07:08 PM
I got stuff done yesterday - scrips filled, laundry, trailer repaired. So today I went northeast for some sightseeing. The West Quoddy Lighthouse is on the sight of the eastern-most point in the USA. But earlier, I was by my Spyder in Machias, getting ready to go when a white RT with a trailer honked and waved. Then I saw them (the Spyder, anyway) at the lighthouse. They must have been on a walking trail because I never saw the people it belonged to.

I had lunch in the town of Lubec which could have stood in for Cabot Cove. I assume the murder rate here is much better than wherever Jessica Fletcher lives.

Then I crossed a bridge on the Canada border to Campobello Island in New Brunswick where they have FDR's "cottage" where he summered throughout his life. It's on the site of the only international park in the world.

Tomorrow I'll go to Bar Harbor and see Acadia National Park. Patti the road that leads into that area is where you will find the Lobster Pounds .... where they cook them in Sea water with Kelp .... the only way to cook Lobster ...imho ..... Mike

PrairieSpyder
06-07-2017, 07:39 PM
Patti the road that leads into that area is where you will find the Lobster Pounds .... where they cook them in Sea water with Kelp .... the only way to cook Lobster ...imho ..... Mike

Do you mean the road to Bar Harbor? Or the Lubec where I was today? Lubec would be back-tracking.

Karyl and Laurie told me about a shack as you go into Bar Harbor that has the best lobster, but neither of them remembered the name of the place.

Joerolwing
06-07-2017, 08:10 PM

You might want to visit the Owl's Head Transportation Museum in Owl's Head, ME

safecracker
06-07-2017, 08:17 PM
Trenton Lobster Pound. It is on the right before you arrive on Mount Desert Island, on your way to Bar Harbor. Your picture of the harbor looks like.you went through Cutler, Maine. Have a great ride. Bruce.

BLUEKNIGHT911
06-08-2017, 01:35 AM
Trenton Lobster Pound. It is on the right before you arrive on Mount Desert Island, on your way to Bar Harbor. Your picture of the harbor looks like.you went through Cutler, Maine. Have a great ride. Bruce.
BINGO - Thanks Bruce , I thought She would have got it since I was referencing Her Post & pics about going into Acadia Nat'l Park :dontknow: ..... Hopefully She reads your post ...... Mike

ThreeWheels
06-08-2017, 05:37 AM
Are you planning on staying rt 1 through CT ?

Brentc
06-08-2017, 05:40 AM
My family is from this area, Eastport ME. It is directly across the water from Roosevelts cottage picture that you have here. My dad was stationed at that lighthouse as well. My wife and I always go to those places, and also stop in Lubec for a meal, when we go up there annually. That walking trail you mentioned goes forever along the cliffs of the shor live and is amazing.

Safe travels to Bar Harbor

Tomorrow I'll go to Bar Harbor and see Acadia National Park.

PrairieSpyder
06-13-2017, 08:31 PM
These are at Acadia NP. At the top of Cadillac Mtn, it was windier than most days in Kansas!

149394 149392 149393

I had had lobster on evening, but Trenton Bridge Lobster Pound won't open till later in June.

In the interest of time I decided to head directly to Shenandoah NP in western Virginia. If I ever pass through NY again, I'll have to be careful. After crossing the Tappan Zee bridge, I was in the wrong lane to stop and pay a cash toll. I couldn't go back and make it right, so I went on. Then in no time I was in New Jersey.

PrairieSpyder
06-13-2017, 08:42 PM
Shenandoah NP. I came out of a snack bar (they call them "waysides") and saw this deer on the other side of the parking lot. I got a couple pics with zoom, then walked closer, shot anothe, etc. to see how close I could get. This last one is from about 10 feet. I got tired of shooting and walked away and the deer never did run off.

149395 149396
And of course, the hills.

Now I'm taking the BRP (Blue Ridge Parkway) to either Asheville or Cherokee.

cuznjohn
06-13-2017, 08:49 PM
i see they are tagged. it's a shame i never met you and knew you better. if you came through new york around queens, i would of loved to meet you and take you out to dinner. i also live in a large house by myself and i am harmless, so you could of spent a night or more here on you way to where ever you are headed. i can't figure out what is going on with me and the heat right now, but it is days like this, 94 today, that i am glad i don't have a bike anymore. as soon as i get out of my truck and into the sun and the heat, i get itchy all over and feel like i am on fire. i see people riding and it really bothers me, but i just can't take that heat and sun any more. ok Pattie, ride safe

PrairieSpyder
06-21-2017, 08:04 AM
Home with just one final drama.

Road construction on I-435 in Kansas City metro. Big chunk of concrete missing at a corner joint, lane shift and couldn't swerve around it.

About the time I got out, saw the flat and started unloading the trunk, a state trooper pulled up behind me. He changed the tire and called the Overland Park Police Motorist Assistance. (I didn't know there was such a service.) Dropped the trailer on the edge of the freeway. :yikes: That guy lead me to the nearest Walmart (where I have road hazard coverage on my tires). New tire installed, back to trailer, hitched up and got home about 6:30 pm.

Bob Denman
06-21-2017, 08:07 AM
:clap:
But I just KNEW that you couldn't trust a car to make such a long trip! :roflblack:

Pirate looks at --
06-21-2017, 09:09 AM
Patti,

Great meeting you at the Museum in Valcourt! You know you would have never had the problem you had if you hadn't trailered your Spyder! Glad you had such a great trip!

PrairieSpyder
06-21-2017, 09:26 AM
Patti,

Great meeting you at the Museum in Valcourt! You know you would have never had the problem you had if you hadn't trailered your Spyder! Glad you had such a great trip!

I know. I'm going to add up my costs today and see how it went. I've been noticing that hotels are more expensive than they had been before. I may have to try increasing my endurance so I can get more miles per day.

Pirate looks at --
06-21-2017, 09:31 AM
You can still find a Flea Bag hotel.....but that is exactly what it is a flea bag! We spent over $2000.00 on hotels on our trip and most were pretty good! We averaged about 500 miles a day. Can't wait for the next one!:yes:

oldgoat
06-21-2017, 10:35 AM
Shenandoah NP. I came out of a snack bar (they call them "waysides") and saw this deer on the other side of the parking lot. I got a couple pics with zoom, then walked closer, shot anothe, etc. to see how close I could get. This last one is from about 10 feet. I got tired of shooting and walked away and the deer never did run off.

149395 149396
And of course, the hills.

Now I'm taking the BRP (Blue Ridge Parkway) to either Asheville or Cherokee.

Wifey & I just got back from a trip to Savannah in our car. Detoured to Chattanooga on the way home then onto the Ocoee Scenic Byway then the Cherohala highway & then the BRP at its start. That was beautiful until the afternoon when it poured down. Spent the night in Asheville & decided to head home up I81. We missed out the rest of the BRP & Skyline Drive. We sure had a lot of rain down in the south east.

On the BRP during some particularly heavy rain we passed a stopped cruiser with the rider laying on his back on his seat with a tarp covering him. Never seen that before!

Glad you made it home