PDA

View Full Version : Black Hills, SD

Lew L
06-04-2017, 04:10 PM
We drove up from Reno, overnight stay in Wendover, then a nice place in Wyoming. Now in the Black Hills. Real nice part of the planet. Will be here foe a few days to see some of it. Wonderful, we'll maintained roads. Our :spyder2: NEVER skipped a beat.

Kaos

ARtraveler
06-04-2017, 04:16 PM
Don't know how familiar you are with my favorite vacation place.

If you have time--go 60 miles east and do the Badlands National Park Loop, eat at Cedar Pass Lodge (in the park)--great buffalo burgers and Indian fry bread. Hit the gift shops in Wall as well as Wall Drug itself.

See Custer State Park and the buffalo herds. Hit the Needles Highway for spectacular scenery and a framed view of Mt. Rushmore through one of the needles.

Sturgis is also a must see. Even pre-rally time.

Devils Tower in Wyoming is also a great excursion. You can hike around the whole tower in about an hour.

Enjoy. :yes:

trikermutha
06-04-2017, 04:22 PM
The open areas can get really windy in SD. Think the speed limit was 80 mph too. Stop at the Pioneer Auto Museum we went there for the first time last year after all the years if driving by the place..Mount Rushmore I always liked going to.

Get there early later in the day gets pretty crowded.

ARtraveler
06-04-2017, 04:27 PM
The open areas can get really windy in SD. Think the speed limit was 80 mph too. Stop at the Pioneer Auto Museum we went there for the first time last year after all the years if driving by the place..Mount Rushmore I always liked going to.

Get there early later in the day gets pretty crowded.

Pioneer Auto Museum is also pretty good in my book. Another 60 miles east of Badlands at Murdo, SD. Not much else there though.

BigGuy66
06-04-2017, 04:31 PM
That entire area of this country is some really spectacular scenery. We visited about 20 years ago - we need to go back.

trikermutha
06-04-2017, 07:53 PM
Pioneer Auto Museum is also pretty good in my book. Another 60 miles east of Badlands at Murdo, SD. Not much else there though.

There are a few good cave tours we went on too..

Mammoth site was another that I can think of.

I will most likely pass Wall Drug next time out that way..

Mazo EMS2
06-04-2017, 08:00 PM
We wanna get out there sometime too...I've heard all of the places mentioned are pretty darn nice. Lets get a group together and make a road trip out of it. Early this fall....First part of Sept maybe....who's in???

jwulf74
06-04-2017, 08:25 PM
Lot's of great places to ride out here. Iron Mountain Road, Vanocker Canyon, Spearfish Canyon, Custer Wildlife Loop, and the ones previously mentioned...

kngfsh27
06-04-2017, 08:28 PM
You need to go down to Mount Rushmore then take Iron Mountain south. You will love it with the switchbacks and pigtails.

trikermutha
06-04-2017, 09:54 PM
For those who do go be careful of the wildlife lots of Bison in some areas and they can get hostile when getting close. They do walk on the road ways . So those of us on bikes have to take caution

easysuper
06-05-2017, 08:13 AM
I spent 5 months out there building a restaurant and akspyderman had a great list, some of the best country I have ridden in. I was so lucky to spend that much time and rode nearly every weekend, Custer State Park was my favorite spot with the buffalo and needles Hwy.

Lew L
06-05-2017, 08:44 AM
Don't know how familiar you are with my favorite vacation place.

If you have time--go 60 miles east and do the Badlands National Park Loop, eat at Cedar Pass Lodge (in the park)--great buffalo burgers and Indian fry bread. Hit the gift shops in Wall as well as Wall Drug itself.

See Custer State Park and the buffalo herds. Hit the Needles Highway for spectacular scenery and a framed view of Mt. Rushmore through one of the needles.

Sturgis is also a must see. Even pre-rally time.

Devils Tower in Wyoming is also a great excursion. You can hike around the whole tower in about an hour.

Enjoy. :yes:

Most are on the agenda already. Wind Cave is amazing. Rushmore and Iron Mt. Road today. CUSTER State park tomorrow.
Spyder has run PERFECTLY nojoke.

Kaos

SPYD3R
06-05-2017, 09:02 AM
if you get to Leads, SD, stop at LEWIE'S for a burger.... best in the world.... :firstplace:
148838 148839
Dan P
SPYD3R

Lew L
06-05-2017, 05:34 PM
Glad I took the cover for the:spyder2: on this trip as it is pouring rain outside. But it's just a passing light/thunder storm. Mt. Rushmore was a great day and we got back before the rain.

BTW: 25,000 pounds of dynamite used for the monument.:yikes:

Kaos

Storms update:

Did I say "just a passing.....storm. Not!!!! Still pouring rain, over 4 hours and counting.

Jim&Teresa
06-05-2017, 06:13 PM
You need to go down to Mount Rushmore then take Iron Mountain south. You will love it with the switchbacks and pigtails.

Enjoy the Black Hills - plenty to do as many mentioned in their posts here. I would add to this comment that Iron Mountain Road (highway 16A) is a great ride as explained - do this route as stated and then go back towards Mt. Rushmore on Iron Mountain Road - you will see Mount Rushmore framed by some of the tunnels when you do this reverse trip!

I lived out in Rapid City for 4 years when in college (1973 -1977). My wife's family lives out there and we go there 4-5 times a year! Never get tired of it....some of my favorites are (sorry if it repeats some from previous posts):''

* Rapid City to Sturgis take Nemo Road to Vanocker Canyon - great ride (or reverse)
* Spearfish Canyon
* Deadwood - interesting town, also can go to Lead, SD adjacent to Deadwood if you're interested in a "mining" town - several free sites to see
* Devils Tower in Wyoming (you can do this by going to Belle Fourche then towards Wyoming (hwy 34/24) to Hulett then Devils Tower back through Wyoming (hwy385/85) to Black Hills via Newcaste, Custer, Needles Highway, etc. If you have time there is a free museum in Belle Fourche...Tri State Museum
* Lots of other places like Custer State Park (I worked there one summer while in college - tour guide)

There is a free road guide map at just about any stop - tear one (or two) off of the pad at these places - it's a good view of the Black Hills, tour sites, roads, etc.

If you have any specific questions, just PM me....

I wish you a great time and safe travels! :thumbup:

Jim&Teresa
06-05-2017, 06:14 PM

+1...we just stopped at the Pioneer Auto Museum this year for the first time - it was awesome! :thumbup::thumbup:

hawkiii
06-05-2017, 07:32 PM
If you are going to Rushmore you should also check out the Crazy Horse monument and the museum there. It is really amazing.

trikermutha
06-05-2017, 07:38 PM
:agree: we went there for the first time too..The head is really taking shape now..Plus you can take a bus ride to the top..But of coarse that cost money to do that..

ARtraveler
06-05-2017, 07:45 PM
The only highly hyped item that I did not like was the Corn Palace in Mitchell SD. It's 20 miles or so one way from the Interstate. The attraction is beautiful--IF--you are interested in looking at a building that has been decorated in colored corn in order to make really neat murals on the wall. They change them out occasionally.

They used to have a Doll Museum across the street--but don't know if it is still there.

trikermutha
06-06-2017, 10:18 AM
:agree: as well as Wall Drug it was much better many years ago. If your into T-Shirts and tourist junk then that's the place for you. They even have a Harley Store down the block that only sells shirts and hats.

UtahPete
06-06-2017, 12:46 PM
Our :spyder2: NEVER skied a beat.

Kaos

I'd sure hope not.

ger42
06-06-2017, 01:09 PM
Glad I took the cover for the:spyder2: on this trip as it is pouring rain outside. But it's just a passing light/thunder storm. Mt. Rushmore was a great day and we got back before the rain.

BTW: 25,000 pounds of dynamite used for the monument.:yikes:

Kaos

Storms update:

Did I say "just a passing.....storm. Not!!!! Still pouring rain, over 4 hours and counting.

I am reading this while trying to decide on selling my car and buying a Spyder as my main form of transportation ( wife has a car).
Since Sat afternoon we have had 8+ inches of rain and it is still going. I don't mind the rain did a lot of riding in the rain when I owned a HD Road Glide but I was 14 yrs younger.

ARtraveler
06-06-2017, 02:00 PM
I am reading this while trying to decide on selling my car and buying a Spyder as my main form of transportation ( wife has a car).
Since Sat afternoon we have had 8+ inches of rain and it is still going. I don't mind the rain did a lot of riding in the rain when I owned a HD Road Glide but I was 14 yrs younger.

Listen to the "force" Luke. :roflblack::roflblack:

Lew L
06-06-2017, 08:47 PM
I'd sure hope not.

Will Pete,

I hate auto spell and this new tablet is very sensitive. But I did ski 45 days this year.

Fixed the post BTW.

Kaos

SPYD1
06-06-2017, 09:50 PM
Sundance! Best Western! Eat at the Aro. My favorite deer hunting area. Have fun. Hit Devils Tower and Hewlett. If your that far might as well touch Montana.

Lew L
06-10-2017, 05:06 PM
Drove from Hill City (near Custer SD) to Cody, WY. with an hour stop/detour to Devils Tower. The '14 RTS never skipped a beat and got about 40 mpg running 70 to 75 mph for hours on end. My wife was/is quite comfy and is a great passenger. But it's a long pull for a couple of 70 year old's.
The firearms museum here is not to be missed.
Kaos

Indiana Ken
06-10-2017, 08:22 PM
We wanna get out there sometime too...I've heard all of the places mentioned are pretty darn nice. Lets get a group together and make a road trip out of it. Early this fall....First part of Sept maybe....who's in???

I'll throw my hat in for a trip west.

JayD
06-10-2017, 08:30 PM
I plan on going to Black Hills area in Sept for two weeks. Glad to see this thread stated. Love this site.

NautiBrit
06-10-2017, 09:23 PM
We're returning from the Spyder Homecoming and are spending tonight in Rapid City after riding through the Badlands, Sturgis, Deadwood and the Nemo Road. This area is spectacular, especially since we did the boring ride through Fargo and Sioux Falls.

Tomorrow, it's Mt. Rushmore, Crazy Horse and on to Golden, CO.

ARtraveler
06-10-2017, 09:28 PM
We're returning from the Spyder Homecoming and are spending tonight in Rapid City after riding through the Badlands, Sturgis, Deadwood and the Nemo Road. This area is spectacular, especially since we did the boring ride through Fargo and Sioux Falls.

Tomorrow, it's Mt. Rushmore, Crazy Horse and on to Golden, CO.

Bingo on Fargo and Sioux Falls. :yes::yes:

KX5062
06-11-2017, 08:46 AM
The wife and I did this ride last year and the Spyder ran perfectly. It was a wonderful trip. We returned west by way of the Bear Tooth Pass into Yellowstone. That was awesome! :yes:

Although, we never saw that kind of MPG at those speeds. :doorag:

trucker1
06-11-2017, 03:39 PM
Sd sounds like a great road trip. That is one that's on my bucket list to do. Can't wait to get there. Hopefully by next year. Yeah.

Lew L
06-12-2017, 03:55 PM
The winds ( both side and head on) were bad- --- but the :spyder2: handeled them just fine . Got 34.3 mpg at 70 mph. Stunning vista's and canyons. The 2014 RTS never skipped a beat and of course generated many ?'
Off to Elko NV. Tomorrow.
The Buffalo Bill Center of the West is 5 museums in one and is not to be missed if you're with in 500 miles of it. Cody is a nice little town. Eat where the locals eat------- Grannies restaurant is good down home cookin'.

Kaos

Texas Al
06-13-2017, 03:06 PM
I was stationed at Ellsworth AFB for 5 1/2 years. (1967-1972) Loved the area even in the winter (younger then). I was able to go back in the late 1980s. But would love to see it today. You need to go to Wall Drugs. It is famous. I love to tell the story when my dad came to visit. We had a friend that owned a place in the hills called Trout Haven (it is still there). There were two large stocked trout ponds on the property and Tom would set my son at the pond to catch a few fish for the restaurant . Well my dad caught 5 inch trout , while my son caught one that was about 18 inches. We took a picture of my dad and my son with their fish. Tom loved it so much that he used it in his ads for years.
RIDE SAFE AND LONG.

Lew L
06-13-2017, 07:31 PM
Rock Springs to Elko,Nv. Strong head winds ALL THE WAY. Rain too through Utah. Stayed dry though. :spyder2: pushes water up and around. Crappy mpg though.

Kaos

UtahPete
06-13-2017, 07:39 PM
Sd sounds like a great road trip. That is one that's on my bucket list to do. Can't wait to get there. Hopefully by next year. Yeah.

Yah, it is really nice there (South Dakota / badlands / custer / rushmore). We visited on an RV trip back east years ago and looking forward to doing it again, this time on our bikes. Sorry we had to miss the trike event this year...hopefully they will have it again.

UtahPete
06-13-2017, 07:41 PM
I was stationed at Ellsworth AFB for 5 1/2 years. (1967-1972) Loved the area even in the winter (younger then). I was able to go back in the late 1980s. But would love to see it today. You need to go to Wall Drugs. It is famous. I love to tell the story when my dad came to visit. We had a friend that owned a place in the hills called Trout Haven (it is still there). There were two large stocked trout ponds on the property and Tom would set my son at the pond to catch a few fish for the restaurant . Well my dad caught 5 inch trout , while my son caught one that was about 18 inches. We took a picture of my dad and my son with their fish. Tom loved it so much that he used it in his ads for years.
RIDE SAFE AND LONG.

Thanks for the reminder. Yeah, that's a must-see.

UtahPete
06-13-2017, 07:45 PM
The wife and I did this ride last year and the Spyder ran perfectly. It was a wonderful trip. We returned west by way of the Bear Tooth Pass into Yellowstone. That was awesome! :yes:

Although, we never saw that kind of MPG at those speeds. :doorag:

Better than 'A wife' I reckon...

Anyway, yeah, that's beautiful country and great motorcycling roads.

UtahPete
06-13-2017, 07:48 PM
The '14 RTS never skipped a beat and got about 40 mpg running 70 to 75 mph for hours on end.
Kaos

The fuel efficiency of the 1330 is really quite amazing. We pulled a trailer through mountain roads on our last trip and got over 40mpg (but not at 70mph!) I'm happy with this bike!

Big F
06-14-2017, 03:13 AM
We drove up from Reno, overnight stay in Wendover, then a nice place in Wyoming. Now in the Black Hills. Real nice part of the planet. Will be here foe a few days to see some of it. Wonderful, we'll maintained roads. Our :spyder2: NEVER skipped a beat.

Kaos

We are headed back to Deadwood for the 3-wheel rally in July. Lots of Spyders attending.
Our NISR (Nebraska Iowa Spyder Ryders) has a group going this year. There is so much fantastic riding in that part of the world. Needles Highway, Iron Mountalin Road, Spearfish Canyon, Sturgis, etc., etc., The list goes on.
This is our 4th year in a row and will keep going back with the Good Lord willing??
BIG F

Buckeye Bleau
06-14-2017, 06:13 AM
I cannot agree more that this area has abundantsites to visit, but seriously, someone said Wall Drug, that is one out of the way stop that could be avoided without losing anything in your bucket list. What a tourist trap of totally zero interest.

Joe

trikermutha
06-14-2017, 08:08 AM
I cannot agree more that this area has abundantsites to visit, but seriously, someone said Wall Drug, that is one out of the way stop that could be avoided without losing anything in your bucket list. What a tourist trap of totally zero interest.

Joe

:agree: Wall drug use to be really good more authentic many years ago . Now its a tourist trap of crap. I will not be going back there anytime soon.

BigGuy66
06-14-2017, 08:25 AM
(snip) Hit the gift shops in Wall as well as Wall Drug itself.

(snip)

Just checked on Wall Drug... ice water still free and coffee is 5 cents. Same as when we were there in 1999!

Lew L
06-15-2017, 05:31 PM
WE did about 3000 miles on this trip----- and the oil level is the same as when I did the oil and filter before leaving. Just the way it should be.

Kaos