PDA

View Full Version : Looking for some destination or route ideas

Brentc
06-04-2017, 05:23 AM
I've been recovering from a broken neck since March and am hoping to be back on my spyder in the next month or so. I've been unable to drive and am going quite stir crazy. So when I am finally able to get out I thought about taking 7-10 days and just going for a ride. I'm more interested in ride time and just getting out and not so much spending a lot of time in any one particular place. I wanted to see if anyone had any interesting routes they have done in the past that might fit the bill. I'm in western New York for a starting point.

Any suggestions welcome.

youngers
06-04-2017, 05:42 AM
brother , all I have for you is , take those rides slow and easy , not so much out for more than 2 or 3 hour rides too start , I can guess the helmet , and wind bouncing around you is going to give you some sore issues , { did you have too under go , neck head strength movements while in recovery ? }

Brentc
06-04-2017, 06:10 AM
brother , all I have for you is , take those rides slow and easy , not so much out for more than 2 or 3 hour rides too start , I can guess the helmet , and wind bouncing around you is going to give you some sore issues , { did you have too under go , neck head strength movements while in recovery ? }

Halo neck brace comes off in 9 days. So I'm thinking probably late July or after for my proposed ride.

Bob Denman
06-04-2017, 07:18 AM
Hi Brent!
I am so glad to hear that you'll be losing the basketball hoop soon! :yes:

No matter where you go on the ride: I only have one small bit of advice.... :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKGOCOAI_2c

JayBros
06-04-2017, 07:50 AM
I suffered a neck injury while bicycling decades ago. Over time it became harder for me to turn my head to check my blind spots in the cage. Yoga neck exercises really helped regain flexibility. I still do them and consider essential for my safety on the Spyder.

mpsicon
06-04-2017, 08:35 AM
You may have been to Letchworth state park, I see it is not too far for you. If you are looking for something a little farther how about Allegany state park down into PA. If you are looking for an overnight stay maby ST. Marys in PA. then spend a day viewing elk in Benezette PA.

RykerUSA
06-04-2017, 08:57 AM
Go west young man!!

oldgoat
06-04-2017, 09:19 AM
A favorite of mine starts in Binghamton/Vestal & goes south on 26, then into PA. 267,706 to hwy 6. West on 6 to Wellsboro. That is a beautiful little town. Then SW to Leonard Harrison State Park (the Grand Canyon of PA). I always go to the east side of the park. Lovely up there. This all parallels the NY/PA border heading west.

wrb3004
06-04-2017, 12:20 PM
we took Not to far from you. About 1.5 hours east. We have not been on that long of a ride yet but one route we have taken is toward Salamanca and then 219 south along Allengany State Park. You can actually ride through the park but we haven't had time to do that. On 219 in Bradford,PA is the Zippo factory and museum that is interesting. From 219 you can take 6 towards Wellsboro and tour the Grand Canyon of Pennsylvania. We missed out on this due to the weather that day. We stopped and dined at the Wellboro Diner instead. On this weekend road trip we continued on route 6 to Troy and then picked up route 14 north through Watkins Glenn and home. Good luck with your health and enjoy your ride.

michrick
06-04-2017, 05:46 PM
Allegenghy National Forest and check out the Kinzu Dam and the Kinzu overlook, or head the other way and check out The Little Grand Canyon in Wellsboro, Pa., beautiful riding that way. If you do head this way or what ever way we would like to ride along with you.

cyclelover63
06-04-2017, 05:53 PM
We are leaving Sherbrook Quebec,in the morning and were thinking about takin 87 south across the border,to 3 south,thrn on to 30 south through the Adirondacks. We also thought a side trip to Lake George for a look see,then back over to 30 and on to Cooperstown...Then on to Illinois...Maybe you haven't seen some of that country yet?:dontknow:

jwulf74
06-04-2017, 08:36 PM
7-10 days... the Deadwood 3 Wheel Rally is in July. Lot's of great riding out here and would give you incentive not stick in one place too long coming out and heading back.

Bam Bam and Pebbles
06-05-2017, 12:34 AM
You may have been to Letchworth state park, I see it is not too far for you. If you are looking for something a little farther how about Allegany state park down into PA. If you are looking for an overnight stay maby ST. Marys in PA. then spend a day viewing elk in Benezette PA.

Holy Crap, a Letchworth State Park mention. I grew up in Buffalo and my family always spent a week each summer renting a cabin there. Plus numerous trips throughout the year. Beautiful scenery. Every year I go back and play in a golf tournament and the first place I go on the way up is to Letchworth. Then I see my family. Here is a pic.