PDA

View Full Version : new bike by yamaha at americade

cuznjohn
06-01-2017, 09:07 PM
their new bike is a full dresser and is supposed to have the V MAX motor on it

https://www.yamahamotorsports.com/transcontinental-touring

ARtraveler
06-02-2017, 12:36 AM
Guess we have to wait until June 5 to find out. Sounds like the latest version of the Venture. I had an 84 version. Did not go for updated ones that were recently out.

In their day, they were the competition for the GW. The Suzuki Cavalcade and Kawi Voyager were not far behind.

Fatcycledaddy
06-02-2017, 07:04 AM
Guess we have to wait until June 5 to find out. Sounds like the latest version of the Venture. I had an 84 version. Did not go for updated ones that were recently out.

In their day, they were the competition for the GW. The Suzuki Cavalcade and Kawi Voyager were not far behind.:agree: I had a 1986, and now have a 1989 and a 1991. I loved the old version, new ones were Harley copy, if I want'd that look I would by a Harley, not a copy.
Those old V4 1298 cc bikes handle well and get up and go.

Bob Denman
06-02-2017, 07:07 AM
When the original Ventures came out in 1983; they were a superior ride, when compared to the GoldWing... nojoke

But Honda got serious, and Yamaha pulled back on the development of the bike.
It's good to see that they're back! :2thumbs:

ThreeWheels
06-02-2017, 08:52 AM
I had the 84 Venture also.
Loved it. From the fully adnustable handlebars/pegs (30 years before ufit) to the removable bags. It was one of the first factory dressers available. Shaft drive. Hydraulic clutch. Way ahead of it's time.

pegasus1300
06-02-2017, 09:55 AM
148614 148615I rode ventures from 1986 to 2011 and loved them. I had an 83,86,87(still have), 88, 89. 08RSTD, 08RSVS. I actually really liked the Royal Stars after Yamaha put the guts back in it. I would still be riding a Royal Star if I could still handle 2 wheels.

Slowpoke387
06-02-2017, 11:26 AM
:agree: I had a 1986, and now have a 1989 and a 1991. I loved the old version, new ones were Harley copy, if I want'd that look I would by a Harley, not a copy.

Not me. I love the look but cant stand the price, the culture, the snootiness of so many of the riders. I'll take the look-a-like all day and ride away happy on a bike that wont be in the shop every week. Couldn't care less about the HD name. Def not drinking the koolaid. I have a Kawasaki Vaquero bagger, has a nice factory stereo, factory frame mounted fairing, and in my opinion looks far better than the HD's, has far more leg room, and costs far less. Never been in the shop once in 6 years. The Japanese have got it down now, and for less money.

blacklightning
06-02-2017, 11:31 AM
I would be excited to see the 197 hp V4 from the Vmax in any tourer, but I seriously doubt it will happen. Now, they may place a detuned version in one, but a full out Vmax motor, is not going to happen. With that being said, I truly hope that I am wrong.

Bob Denman
06-02-2017, 11:37 AM
They probably will turn down the power a bit... a broader torque curve, and longer engine life should be the results: Good stuff!! :yes::2thumbs:

ARtraveler
06-02-2017, 02:09 PM
:agree: I had a 1986, and now have a 1989 and a 1991. I loved the old version, new ones were Harley copy, if I want'd that look I would by a Harley, not a copy.

The dealer I bought from sold both GW and Venture. I test drove both. For me, the ergos were better on the Venture so the Venture won out. That was my first $4K motorcycle and also the largest at the time. Many great rides and miles on that one. :yes::yes:

davehirst
06-02-2017, 02:30 PM
I had an 87 Venture that I rode for 19 years. It was a great bike, never, never in the shop except for oil and tires. I wanted something sportier so I got a Honda ST1100 ABS. It too was a great bike. You are right when you say the Japanese have it down. Switched to a Spyder because I wanted something different and the knees aren't what they used to be, as is the balance, so here we are. Still like the V Max. The Venture had the same engine as the V max without the extra stuff that made them super hot. But the Venture was no slouch.

Lew L
06-02-2017, 04:14 PM
I love my V-Maxnojoke

Bob Denman
06-02-2017, 04:33 PM
There's a guy over here near me, who loves buying the original versions, and rebuilding them...
He used to own a Spyder, and went by "Dannymax" in here.
I'll see if I can get in touch with him: you would enjoy discussing the bikes! :2thumbs:

RinconRyder
06-02-2017, 05:48 PM
Not me. I love the look but cant stand the price, the culture, the snootiness of so many of the riders. I'll take the look-a-like all day and ride away happy on a bike that wont be in the shop every week. Couldn't care less about the HD name. Def not drinking the koolaid. I have a Kawasaki Vaquero bagger, has a nice factory stereo, factory frame mounted fairing, and in my opinion looks far better than the HD's, has far more leg room, and costs far less. Never been in the shop once in 6 years. The Japanese have got it down now, and for less money.

I agree with you. Hardley is underenginneered and way overpriced.

"Hardley-Davidson: Turning gasoline into noise for over 100 years" :yes: