PDA

View Full Version : Trailer width - is 5.5 feet wide enough?

nealperkins
05-29-2017, 07:11 AM
While I don't want more than I need...I'm concerned at 3.5" on each side might not be enough. A local dealer has a terrific sale on today. If that's enough, I'm going to plop my money down. (And no, there is not a 6' wide on sale.)
Thanks for your quick help.

quasi
05-29-2017, 07:14 AM
as long as it rolls in without hitting the side rails it is plenty wide enough. you're going to strap it down anyway, I expect.

Bob Denman
05-29-2017, 07:19 AM
:shocked: That's gonna leave you about an inch on either side; how comfortable will you be when maneuvering in such tight quarters? :dontknow:
By the way: is that just the width, or the width of the opening at the tailgate?

scott16119
05-29-2017, 07:25 AM
If you are talking about an open utility type trailer it should be ok. If you are talking about an enclosed trailer it may be pretty tight to strap it down and walk around it.

PrairieSpyder
05-29-2017, 07:29 AM
Even a utility trailer may not be wide enough. How high are the rails? Consider your front fenders.

MOSESS
05-29-2017, 07:52 AM
Its going to be okay if your comfortable with how close its going to be. I just reworked my trailer to accommodate the width of the Rt. I now have a full 1.5 inches of clearance on both sides. I am good with that . when towing the rt I put tie down the wheels so they cant move side to side and front to back. as one should .

nealperkins
05-29-2017, 07:54 AM
Well, I'm going to measure again, but it appears that I'll have 3.5" clearance on each side.

Here it the link to the trailer. Note that this is not the 'world's best trailer' but I don't need that. So, there's a $400 discount through today (gift card).
Thanks

south GA Farm Boy
05-29-2017, 07:58 AM
While I don't want more than I need...I'm concerned at 3.5" on each side might not be enough. A local dealer has a terrific sale on today. If that's enough, I'm going to plop my money down. (And no, there is not a 6' wide on sale.)
Thanks for your quick help.

I would not buy one under 6 ft inside width and 10 ft long!!! Even at 6 ft width, it is not easy to get it on there without hitting your front fenders, and you need tie down room! I have a 6X10 trailer and I would not have anything smaller, sale or no sale! Mine has two ft sides on it and it is very close to each side!! I haul a RT Limited, and your trike maybe a different model and your width maybe smaller than mine! Take your trike to the trailer dealer, and see if he will let you try to fit it on there and you will see what I mean! Please be sure to hook the trailer to a truck or sometime before trying to load it! Also I put 3 "2X6 boards" 12 inches long on each side in front of the rear gate on the ground to keep the front of Spyder from hitting the nose of it on the tailgate when loading and unloading!!

PrairieSpyder
05-29-2017, 08:01 AM
Which Spyder model do you have? The F3 isn't as wide as the RT.

south GA Farm Boy
05-29-2017, 08:18 AM
Which Spyder model do you have? The F3 isn't as wide as the RT.

I have the RT Limited 2016 year, but used to haul my 2013 RT Limited on same trailer. Both were a tight fit!!

Slowpoke387
05-29-2017, 09:11 AM
I haul my F3 with a 6' wide enclosed trailer and i can tell you thats an extremely tight fit. Literally an inch or two on each side to spare. Really wish it was at least 7 feet wide. I wouldnt use anything less than 6'. I know for sure a 5'5 would not work on my machine.

jaherbst
05-29-2017, 09:13 AM
5.5 feet wide? Lots of luck. You might want to reconsider!

Jack

bmccaffrey
05-29-2017, 09:13 AM
you'll be fine with 5.5.plenty of room

NewYorkSpyder
05-29-2017, 09:24 AM
Something no one appears to consider is if the rear wheel gets crooked you are not going to have enough width (steering capability) to straighten it out to get the bike off, you aren't going to be able to pull the rear wheel straight. Just bought a Aluma 7210BT to haul 2014 RTS and wouldn't go any smaller.

BLUEKNIGHT911
05-29-2017, 09:39 AM
Well, I'm going to measure again, but it appears that I'll have 3.5" clearance on each side.

Here it the link to the trailer. Note that this is not the 'world's best trailer' but I don't need that. So, there's a $400 discount through today (gift card).
Thanks
The box ( for RT Spyder ) on my truck is on 66 inches wide ( 5 ft 6 inches ) ..... I put wood guides screwed into the floor so when I drive in .... I don't even have to hold the handlebars :yikes: ...... It's just like in the Car Wash .... TAKE HANDS OFF STEERING WHEEL - PLEASE ......... the guides are on the inside of the front tires ( no room on the outside ) and it works perfectly .......... as far as securing Spyder down ....Just put a heavy duty Rachet strap over the rear wheel .... I do have home made chocks for the front tires but I also have access to them ...... good luck .... Mike :thumbup:

nealperkins
05-29-2017, 09:44 AM
I have a F3L.
Lots of good advice here guys, thanks! I am going to take my Spyder to the store and take a look at it there with tape measure in hand.

Slowpoke387
05-29-2017, 12:21 PM
I have a F3L.
Lots of good advice here guys, thanks! I am going to take my Spyder to the store and take a look at it there with tape measure in hand.
if you just look it up it, the specs say 58.9" wide. so basically 5 feet. 3 inches on either side is close but if the ramp and the entrance of the trailer are a true 5.5' you should just barely squeak it in. I can tell you that it will look a lot tighter than 3 inches on either side lol. Measure the trailer and the ramp as well. My 6 foot wide enclosed trailer is just barely wide enough due to the two inch smaller width of the ramp and the entrance itself. Also like others have mentioned, theres zero room for any corrections whatsoever even if it actually fits.

CA Railwhale
05-29-2017, 12:49 PM
Even a utility trailer may not be wide enough. How high are the rails? Consider your front fenders.

From the experience I had with a similar trainer, that isn't wide enough if the trailer has rails that are more than a couple of inches high. With it that narrow, you can't turn the wheels at all without hitting one fender or the other. Loading the bike is a real nosebleed. I cut off the superstructure on my trailer, but in retrospect I'd just buy a larger trailer.

irvin48
05-29-2017, 01:13 PM
i assume you have an F3 and not an rt.? probly be a tight--ok.

Bob Denman
05-29-2017, 01:27 PM
The important question might not be "will it fit on a 5.5' wide trailer...
It might end up being:
"Are you willing to try to work in such tight surroundings?" :dontknow:

(I'd rather go with a 7x12 tandem axle rig...)

nealperkins
05-29-2017, 01:32 PM
So, I went to the Tractor Supply that had 2 of the trailers yesterday and behold! there were 2 trucks hooking up the trailers. Wow, what timing! But, they gave me a rain check and instead of the 'gift card' just reduced the price by $400...much better. It will arrive in a few days. I measured again and, unless my F3L Spyder gains some width by then, it definitely fits. I do like the board idea on the floor so, that's gonna happen. This price is about half of what I thought I was going to have to pay. So, what farkles can I get to make up the difference? I'm thinking...

Bob Denman
05-29-2017, 01:34 PM
:clap::congrats:
...And it's not against the rules to add some LED lights to the trailer: they love farkles too! :D

BLUEKNIGHT911
05-29-2017, 01:43 PM
So, I went to the Tractor Supply that had 2 of the trailers yesterday and behold! there were 2 trucks hooking up the trailers. Wow, what timing! But, they gave me a rain check and instead of the 'gift card' just reduced the price by $400...much better. It will arrive in a few days. I measured again and, unless my F3L Spyder gains some width by then, it definitely fits. I do like the board idea on the floor so, that's gonna happen. This price is about half of what I thought I was going to have to pay. So, what farkles can I get to make up the difference? I'm thinking...
Your welcome ..... you and no one else read my post ( 15 ) :lecturef_smilie: :roflblack: .... But I'm glad you read it, that's all that matters :yes::yes::yes::yes:...... and do the strap over the rear wheel thing it's simple and works ;)......... Mike :thumbup:

ARtraveler
05-29-2017, 02:09 PM
I have a F3L.

Looks like the perfect solution. Measure twice, purchase trailer once. :roflblack::roflblack:

2dogs
05-29-2017, 04:09 PM
If Neal gets the 5.5 wide trailer instead of the 7 wide, it may end up here on SL for sale in a few months. Neal, do like Bob says and go the extra bucks and get the 7x12. You won't regret it.

irvin48
05-29-2017, 07:01 PM
6x10 is plenty . i know. i have one.[sorry, no guaranty]

do what you want. you will feel better.