PDA

View Full Version : How do I clean INSIDE my window?

BigGuy66
05-25-2017, 12:50 PM
There are some spots and junk inside my window. I can't reach it to clean it. What does a person (like me) do to clean that area?

Marker
05-25-2017, 12:56 PM
There are some spots and junk inside my window. I can't reach it to clean it. What does a person (like me) do to clean that area?

Its a giant pain but to get those spots off you will have to remove windshield. A lot of people just live with spots or go to wrapmyspyder.com and get a piece of vinyl film to cover that area

Pirate looks at --
05-25-2017, 12:57 PM
Just feed a rag or towel in between the Windshield and the bracket and pull it through and rub I think back and forth until you losen up the dirt.

Bob Denman
05-25-2017, 01:16 PM
Don't sweat the small stuff. A dirty bike is a sign of a ridden bike: that is a sign of a happy rider! :thumbup:

Jim&Teresa
05-25-2017, 01:41 PM
Just feed a rag or towel in between the Windshield and the bracket and pull it through and rub I think back and forth until you losen up the dirt.

+1 :thumbup: Easy to do, use a cleaner on the towel (use a thin towel as it will go through easier. I don't clean that area every time, but I do get to it a few times a season!

ARtraveler
05-25-2017, 01:51 PM
Maybe the "Alaska Grunge" look will be adopted by others. One washing of the "nanner" so far this year. The "baby" has yet to be washed. So many hours, so little time to ride. :roflblack::roflblack:

ruralgirl
05-25-2017, 10:38 PM
I pretend the spots don't exist. There are times when you just have to appease the Dirt Gods and let them have a few nooks and crannies.

cptjam
05-25-2017, 10:55 PM
Takes 5 minutes. Then,treat the area with rain x for plastic. Keeps it nice longer.

BLUEKNIGHT911
05-26-2017, 11:40 AM
:agree: ........An old cotton " T" shirt works very well .....it's very thin ..... the trick is getting some in to start the process ... a piece of wire with a hook works .....:yes:...... Mike :thumbup:

Buckeye Bleau
05-26-2017, 12:00 PM

:agree:Though I would preface that with dampening the rag with cleaner that you use on the windscreen. It is really easy.

Joe

BigGuy66
05-26-2017, 01:19 PM
Ok then - will get a thin towel, dampen it, a little Rain X, slip it in there and clean the windshield. IF i wanted to remove the windshield, is there a video for that? I like to see it done before I start and then have to come back on this forum and ask all of you "How do I fix this XXXX I just broke?" :p:yikes:
Jim

missouriboy
05-26-2017, 01:29 PM
I just blast water through there with my pistol-grip nozzle on the garden hose... it gets most of it out OK, if not quite all. Good enough!

Bob Denman
05-26-2017, 01:32 PM
Removing the windshield...
1.Remove the two screws that you see on the back of the windshield (one on each side...), that hold the trim-piece in place
2.that trim-piece needs to be slid downward, and it will then pop loose from the windshield.
(HINT: slip a playing card under the bottom edge of it, and use that to keep it from scratching the windshield...)
3.Now you can see the four screws that hold the windshield in place (two on each side...) Have someone support it, while you unscrew them!
:D Easy-Peasey! :thumbup:

finless
05-27-2017, 11:15 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vLkomugvx4

Bob

cuznjohn
05-27-2017, 11:33 AM
a piece of paper towel or something, and a paint stirrer or something thin, and go in from the bottom

JayBros
05-27-2017, 11:38 AM
After I've washed and rinsed the upper and under sides of my windshield I use a microfiber cloth folded over an old plastic insurance identification card (a hotel room key card you forgot to turn in works well) and slide it between the windshield and and frame. It's been doing the job just fine for 2 1/2 years and 25K+ miles.

trucker1
05-27-2017, 01:13 PM
I agree with cuznjohn. Use a soft cloth and a paint stirring stick. Use a wet one first then a dry one to finish it off.

BLUEKNIGHT911
05-27-2017, 10:33 PM
a piece of paper towel or something, and a paint stirrer or something thin, and go in from the bottom
NEVER NEVER USE - PAPER ANYTHING on Plastic :banghead::banghead::banghead: ..... Paper is made from WOOD and will Scratch the Plastic ..... maybe not an F-4 ..... but that is the exception ........ Mike :thumbup:

Stumpy6Guns
05-27-2017, 11:03 PM
NEVER NEVER USE - PAPER ANYTHING on Plastic :banghead::banghead::banghead: ..... Paper is made from WOOD and will Scratch the Plastic ..... maybe not an F-4 ..... but that is the exception ........ Mike :thumbup:

I once knew a German moldmaker who specialized in polishing cores and cavities of very expensive medical device molds. He had 3 or 4 brands of tissue lined up on his bench, and he had graded them according to the abrasive qualities of the tissue. I forget which brands he used, but he had specific uses for each one.

BLUEKNIGHT911
05-29-2017, 08:28 AM
I once knew a German moldmaker who specialized in polishing cores and cavities of very expensive medical device molds. He had 3 or 4 brands of tissue lined up on his bench, and he had graded them according to the abrasive qualities of the tissue. I forget which brands he used, but he had specific uses for each one.
Exactly...... paper is an ABRASIVE ....... and ABRASIVES = SCRATCHES ...... Mike :thumbup:

SpyderCruiser
05-29-2017, 08:37 AM
Totally agree with this, nothing touches my windshield but clean microfiber cloth. Even though I have an F4 windshield now, still use microfiber, it just cleans better. The Spyders body gets the same treatment, microfiber only. And separate cloths for the body and windshield. :thumbup:

Exactly...... paper is an ABRASIVE ....... and ABRASIVES = SCRATCHES ...... Mike :thumbup: