PDA

View Full Version : Spyder transport suggestions

Njspeedmaster
05-25-2017, 11:58 AM
Hi all,
With our relocation from New Jersey to Texas, I'm going to need to ship my Spyder and 2 motorcycles. Can't ride the Spyder as I need to drive my car (with 2 cats). Just wondering if any of you have shipping companies you can recommend from personal experience. Thanks in advance.

Bob Denman
05-25-2017, 12:03 PM
UShip always seems to get good reviews...
www.uship.com

47ModelBrit
05-25-2017, 02:49 PM
I've just booked to move a 2-wheeler from Connecticut to Texas using Federal ( http://www.federalcos.com/specialized-moving/motorcycle-shipping/ )

I tried UShip but only got 1 bid which was $400 more than federal's quote. I got a discount from Federal as a member of AMA so if you do use them, it would probably be worth the $49 (?) to join the AMA.

This is my first time shipping a bike so I can't offer any recommendation yet but I agree with Bob, UShip does get good reviews as well.

RinconRyder
05-25-2017, 04:44 PM
My recent purchase of an RT and attempted shipment from Coeur d'Alene, ID to Phoenix, AZ was fraught with frustration. I too, tried uship but got widely different quotes and only one was anywhere near the 'published' average. I went through each response looking for problems and reviews and didn't find one that didn't have serious issues (delayed delivery, vehicle held hostage for more money at delivery, damage to vehicle etc.). Many of the replies didn't have quotes at all and despite specifying that it was a trike (and supplying the dimensions) I got several carriers who carried nothing but two-wheelers or cars. One said he would transport it but I would need to provide a loading and off-loading ramp or find a depot which could handle the loading and unloading. The nearest one to the seller was almost 400 miles away.

I decided to transport it myself. I rented a tilt-deck trailer, borrowed my son's F-150 and drove up and back. Total costs were considerably more than the $400 "average quote" published by uship but the trike arrived without any damage which was my main goal.

Part of the problem seems to be where the trike was from. There were many more carriers up and down the East Coast than out here in the West. The OP might have better luck than I did in that regard.