PDA

View Full Version : Plasti-Dip Test!

stevencovert
05-25-2017, 09:13 AM
I have a 2016 RTS, Intense Red with black rims. I thought the silver pieces didn't match at all, also chrome wouldn't fit the color scheme. I wanted it dark and mysterious:yikes:. So while I had a lot of tupperware off doing some wiring, I pulled off the silver pieces and used black Plasti-Dip to coat them. This way if I liked it, later (Winter time) I could get them professionally painted. I really like how the bike looks now! I also coated the lower part of the windshield to hide the EZPass (and the ugly white velcro stickers!). I put WAY too many coats on, hoping it will last the summer and be easier to pull off. Now thinking about black reflective pinstriping - some spider webs? Then buy a predator helmet and I'll be all set!!:roflblack:

Chupaca
05-25-2017, 09:21 AM
Have several friends that have done this and it worked out well. I did a center panel but did not like the result so peeled it off again quite easily. The best is to have the parts powder coated but this will last a good while and easy to touch up if damaged...congrats great look..:2thumbs:

BigGuy66
05-25-2017, 09:36 AM
Until I saw your pics I wasn't sure if it would be ok - not only is it ok, it is FANTASTIC! I like the look against the red.
Jim

pegasus1300
05-25-2017, 09:45 AM
I really like the look of the Plasti Dip side plates and windshield. That really completes the look Great job.

Crisis
05-25-2017, 09:48 AM
Looks awesome.

4 MARIE
05-25-2017, 09:52 AM
I really like the look you are cultivating there. Has an almost powder coat look.
I don't understand why the goofy CannedHam decals are still on there.
If you like 'em, then love 'em. Thanks for sharing.

Spider-man
05-25-2017, 09:54 AM
I REALLY like the windshield. Wish I had some idea how to do this! Looks like Batman.

HayRog
05-25-2017, 10:37 AM
Nice work :thumbup:, looks really professional.

rustynail51
05-25-2017, 11:40 AM
how did you apply the coating

Bob Denman
05-25-2017, 11:45 AM
:clap: :firstplace: :2thumbs:
It's looking like a Million Bucks...

...But without the tax liabilities! :D :congrats:

blacklightning
05-25-2017, 02:35 PM
I like what you did there. Especially on the windshield. I been thinking about doing something like that on my red F3T. I haven't gotten up the nerve yet, but you are really tempting me:thumbup:.

pegasus1300
05-25-2017, 03:09 PM
:clap: :firstplace: :2thumbs:
It's looking like a Million Bucks...

It didn't look green and wrinkled:roflblack::roflblack:

Ron2andia
05-25-2017, 03:17 PM
Nice work!:thumbup:

stevencovert
05-25-2017, 03:19 PM
I really like the look you are cultivating there. Has an almost powder coat look.
I don't understand why the goofy CannedHam decals are still on there.
If you like 'em, then love 'em. Thanks for sharing.

CanAm decals coming off this weekend :clap:! Searching wrapmyspyder.com for something dark and cool!

stevencovert
05-25-2017, 03:27 PM
I like what you did there. Especially on the windshield. I been thinking about doing something like that on my red F3T. I haven't gotten up the nerve yet, but you are really tempting me:thumbup:.

If you know how to pull the tupperware off, piece of cake. Each piece has a screw and one or two of those toothed push-on holder rings. I took a tiny screwdriver and gently pried up each tooth one at a time until it came off. When putting back on, I used needle nose to squeeze back down almost flat. Push them on with a 1/4" or so socket.

I put like 10 coats on, too much! When it dried the "CAM AM" lettering on the side piece had "ramps" of rubber up to the letters. Only about 3-4 heavy coats needed. It does splatter a bit - doesn't go on like paint, so move side to side slowly to build up a good coat. I practiced on some scrap metal.

I taped off the mirrors and the rear reflectors. Pulled tape off when still tacky. Not worried as I sprayed a bit into a Solo cup (everyone has those!) and used a small paintbrush to fill in gaps or wear it tore.

The windshield turned out great! I just taped it off then taped on paper towels to cover the rest. The "intersection" of the horizontal and vertical is under the plastic vertical pieces so you cant see it. Again I put like 10 coats on there, being nice and flat I built it up to handle small rocks and such I hope. Always can touch up.

Glad you guys like it - very easy to do and if you don't like peel it off!!

Steve

stevencovert
05-25-2017, 03:32 PM
how did you apply the coating

From Pep Boys. Black plasti-dip on sale two for $12. So it is also CHEEEEEP!!

stevencovert
05-26-2017, 02:04 PM

Now you got me thinking!! Since the plasticote is easy to peel off, I can change the windshield design anytime! Like when St. Patricks day is coming up, lay down green plasticote and put shamrock decals on it! Lay down blue and put a superman "S" on there... Light blue and put my little pony decals all over WAIT NO!! :roflblack::roflblack:

Bob Denman
05-26-2017, 02:06 PM
:shocked: The hook has been set... :D :thumbup:
Enjoy the chance to be truly creative!
(And take pictures for us!)

Huked
05-26-2017, 03:43 PM
If you know how to pull the tupperware off, piece of cake. Each piece has a screw and one or two of those toothed push-on holder rings. I took a tiny screwdriver and gently pried up each tooth one at a time until it came off. When putting back on, I used needle nose to squeeze back down almost flat. Push them on with a 1/4" or so socket.

I put like 10 coats on, too much! When it dried the "CAM AM" lettering on the side piece had "ramps" of rubber up to the letters. Only about 3-4 heavy coats needed. It does splatter a bit - doesn't go on like paint, so move side to side slowly to build up a good coat. I practiced on some scrap metal.

I taped off the mirrors and the rear reflectors. Pulled tape off when still tacky. Not worried as I sprayed a bit into a Solo cup (everyone has those!) and used a small paintbrush to fill in gaps or wear it tore.

The windshield turned out great! I just taped it off then taped on paper towels to cover the rest. The "intersection" of the horizontal and vertical is under the plastic vertical pieces so you cant see it. Again I put like 10 coats on there, being nice and flat I built it up to handle small rocks and such I hope. Always can touch up.

Glad you guys like it - very easy to do and if you don't like peel it off!!

Steve

Just a few tips.

1.) If you heat the can by putting it in hot water, it will not splatter, you will get a much finer and smoother spray.

2.) All coats should be lite. each coat rewets the previous coats and bonds them together. When you remove tape it should be pulled off after the last slightly heavier coat and when it is still wet.