PDA

View Full Version : Garmin USB port

Desert Spyder
05-23-2017, 12:06 PM
Can the micro usb port on the Garmin 595 be used to charge a phone while the GPS is in its cradle?

oldguyinTX
05-23-2017, 12:22 PM
I would think not, as you have to remove the battery cover to get to it, which raises the possibility of the battery falling out. Also, when you power up the unit, it will tell you on the screen to replace the battery cover, which may not go away until you do so. In other words, you may not get a navigation screen until you replace the battery cover.

Spyder_Cowgirl
05-23-2017, 03:07 PM
Can the micro usb port on the Garmin 595 be used to charge a phone while the GPS is in its cradle?

If you are talking about the Micro USB that is part of the Garmin HARNESS (and not the one on the unit itself) ... maybe. But, you would have to find the port and route it somewhere convenient and also need to check with Garmin to be sure it is a "powered" port that is able to charge a device. The only thing my 590 documentation mentions is that it is Input / Output ... so, maybe it can charge a device while in the cradle.

All the best .... Ann

Desert Spyder
05-23-2017, 06:02 PM
I would think not, as you have to remove the battery cover to get to it, which raises the possibility of the battery falling out. Also, when you power up the unit, it will tell you on the screen to replace the battery cover, which may not go away until you do so. In other words, you may not get a navigation screen until you replace the battery cover.

This is a stand alone port on the opposite side of the GPS. Not inside the battery compartment. Typically its used to program and update the unit from the internet. I'll try it out soon and tell you my findings.