PDA

View Full Version : Cooling fir 1330 engines

pauly1
05-23-2017, 06:50 AM
I noticed that as we rode our F3-S Spyders that one would start the radiator fans much earlier than the other. Filed the info but didn't dig into it as the temperature was always at the same 4-bar level. Fast forward. ..

While adding lights in the cavity behind the grill of the one that was earlier to start the fan, I noticed the inside of the radiator had a build up of debris outside of the fan area. The normal driving airflow comes through the grill and out through the radiators. When at idle, the fans pull and reverse the airflow. Apparently that's enough to keep the center of the radiator cleaned. SpyderDeb had complained of the F3 being hotter than her ST to ride.

To the point: as the outside of the radiators have always been clean, even when power washing, I've not washed them. The junk was easiy removed with a vacuum (as it was in my shop I didn't use compressed air to blow them out). It doesn't take much to slow down or choke off the airflow. Over 1/3 of the area had reduced flow. If your 1330-equipped Spyder seems to have the fans running more often than they used to, check the radiators from the inside!

Happy trails,
Wayne

pauly1
05-23-2017, 06:54 AM
I proof read the post but not the title and one cannot edit the title. Should read "cooling for the 1330 engine"

Bob Denman
05-23-2017, 06:59 AM
Thanks for the tip. :thumbup:
RE: Editing the title...
Go into the edit post area, and hit "advanced"
That'll allow you to get to the title!

pauly1
05-23-2017, 07:09 AM
Thanks for the tip. :thumbup:
RE: Editing the title...
Go into the edit post area, and hit "advanced"
That'll allow you to get to the title!

Thanks for the editing tip!

Bob Denman
05-23-2017, 07:50 AM
:D I'm a lousy TyPiSt... :D

I always have to figure out how to patch my miss-steaks! :roflblack:

Chupaca
05-23-2017, 09:56 AM
Good reminder and we should all check the radiator on all models. The F3 does have a much different set up ...:bowdown:

ARtraveler
05-23-2017, 01:49 PM
I noticed that as we rode our F3-S Spyders that one would start the radiator fans much earlier than the other. Filed the info but didn't dig into it as the temperature was always at the same 4-bar level. Fast forward. ..

While adding lights in the cavity behind the grill of the one that was earlier to start the fan, I noticed the inside of the radiator had a build up of debris outside of the fan area. The normal driving airflow comes through the grill and out through the radiators. When at idle, the fans pull and reverse the airflow. Apparently that's enough to keep the center of the radiator cleaned. SpyderDeb had complained of the F3 being hotter than her ST to ride.

To the point: as the outside of the radiators have always been clean, even when power washing, I've not washed them. The junk was easiy removed with a vacuum (as it was in my shop I didn't use compressed air to blow them out). It doesn't take much to slow down or choke off the airflow. Over 1/3 of the area had reduced flow. If your 1330-equipped Spyder seems to have the fans running more often than they used to, check the radiators from the inside!

Happy trails,
Wayne

An easy fix is the KOTT (keep out the trash) grills from Spyderpops. They do work well. :thumbup:

EDIT: The KOTT grills appear to be for the RT only. Does not seem they will work on the F3 configuration. Sorry, my ooooooooooooooooooooppppppppppssssss. :bowdown:

Roadster Renovations
05-23-2017, 02:24 PM
Good info!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_IorEV9k14

Bob Denman
05-23-2017, 05:35 PM
:clap: Great video, Doc! :thumbup:

IGETAROUND
05-23-2017, 06:29 PM
​Love that lift Doc, what kind is it???

pauly1
08-11-2017, 05:52 PM
Yes, I was shouting as it's that important and I need to correct my information. The thin, horizontal webbing between the vertical water passage tubes seem to be THINNER THAN A FOIL GUM WRAPPER!!! Even modest household pressure will bend and deform them!

Wayne