PDA

View Full Version : USB problems due to new horn wiring....

SteveLaoyster
05-21-2017, 03:06 PM
Hi everyone! Just a heads up for anyone adding wiring to their spyder.

I had installed dual horns made by hella on my 2016 RT-S & installed a relay to operate them.

I ran new wires from the battery up & then back down to the horn area. The wires were strapped to the frame at one point & strapped twice to the existing wiring harness.

Here is where I had problems. By having the new wires close to the existing harness it caused problems with the USB connection to the radio when I would push the horn button. Be careful where you are running any new wire as they may cause problems. I am in the process of rerouting my wires now.

SteveLaoyster
06-01-2017, 03:34 PM
I finally got the wires moved to take care of the USB problem. Had a chance to try it out today & the horn still causes interference while playing music from the USB port. I guess since the horns are aftermarket they are causing electrical noise that is getting into the system. I'll figure something out.

SpyderF3-s
06-01-2017, 04:08 PM
Interference is usually a grounding issue. Make sure horn is getting the ground directly from the battery. I had the same problem when charging my iPhone while it is playing music to my speakers.

SteveLaoyster
06-01-2017, 06:07 PM
Interference is usually a grounding issue. Make sure horn is getting the ground directly from the battery. I had the same problem when charging my iPhone while it is playing music to my speakers.I was hoping I wouldn't have to do that. I'm going to check the polarity on the horns to make sure they are wired the same. If that doesn't fix it, I'll have to redo the ground then. Positive goes right to the battery thru a fuse. Thanks.