PDA

View Full Version : Cornering (power steering?)

tonynorwood
05-21-2017, 02:18 PM
I have a 2012 RT Sypder (Limited), with 11K miles on it. I always had maintenance done, as required. I have not had many problems, but what problems I had I feel should not have occurred. Mostly the codes came because I did not know how to ride it (I think). I don't ride it fast, don't ride it much, and am not an aggressive rider. Recently, (sometimes) when I turn a corner, it seems like the power steering stops working. This happens if I am just turning around a corner (slow), but especially, if I starting from a full stop at a stop sign. As I turn left or right, about half way through the turn, I have to really pull/push on the handlebars to get it around the corner (a 90 degree turn). I check this starting the cornering slow, then a little faster, but not fast enough that the Nanny should be involved. Has anyone experienced anything like this? Or, does anyone have any suggestion as to what could be causing this?

asp125
05-21-2017, 02:47 PM
sound similar to a failing power steering unit. I know that with the early Spyders there was a recall to fix a faulty DPS (dynamic power steering) unit.

tonynorwood
05-21-2017, 04:06 PM
sound similar to a failing power steering unit. I know that with the early Spyders there was a recall to fix a faulty DPS (dynamic power steering) unit.

Thank for the info. I did not get a recall. The only recall I ever received was for them to replace the gas cap to get rid of the fumes. Having said that, about 2 years ago I now remember I got a code for the DPS, and it went into limp mode. When I got it to the shop a couple of days later, the mechanic checked it, and said there was nothing wrong with the bike, and he just had to reset it. I never received the code again. He said the next time I got "any" code, just turn the key off, and wait a few minutes for the computer to reset - as most times that would solve the problem. With the problem I am having now, I have not received "any" code. I don't want to take the bike in and be charged $200 if the only problem is I need to let the computer reset.

SpyderAnn01
05-21-2017, 04:21 PM
The recall affected model years 2008 to 2010 only.

SpyderAnn01
05-21-2017, 04:24 PM
If you get an error BEFORE you shut the bike off you need to check for codes by holding the Mode, Set and Turn Signal Cancel buttons all at the same time. If you have any codes they will be on the screen and if you don't the screen will be blank. If you turn the bike off and don't check for codes you will only see active codes when you turn it on again. Your dealer will be able to see the occurred codes when they put it on BUDS.

tonynorwood
05-21-2017, 05:54 PM
If you get an error BEFORE you shut the bike off you need to check for codes by holding the Mode, Set and Turn Signal Cancel buttons all at the same time. If you have any codes they will be on the screen and if you don't the screen will be blank. If you turn the bike off and don't check for codes you will only see active codes when you turn it on again. Your dealer will be able to see the occurred codes when they put it on BUDS.

I don't get "any" codes. I tried it before turning the key off. When I turn it on, I don't get any codes. I will probably call to make an appointment with the mechanic.

Easy Rider
05-22-2017, 10:32 AM
I don't get "any" codes. I tried it before turning the key off. When I turn it on, I don't get any codes. I will probably call to make an appointment with the mechanic.

I don't think I would have a lot of confidence in the "mechanic" that looked at it the last time. :shocked:

Since the power steering is electric, I wonder if the battery could be getting weak......coupled with not rev'ing the engine high enough in a very low speed turn ??

Chupaca
05-22-2017, 12:29 PM
The DPS does need full battery and usually will let you know when that is lacking. The unit should help you mostly in the slower heavier motion of the ryde but as you speed up will be less involved. It is an assist system like the manual clutch assist system and will not always be present. You should be getting some indication, warning lights, code etc if the unit is failing but it is worth going to a dealer and have them check with buds if you have stored codes about the issue.

IdahoMtnSpyder
05-22-2017, 01:23 PM
What Chupaca says. How old is the battery? If it is the original it probably is getting weak and needs to be replaced.