PDA

View Full Version : 1 year maintenance report

tjmonty32
05-19-2017, 12:04 PM
I purchased my used 2012 Spyder RT A&C in May 2016 with 30k miles. In the last 12 months I have replaced the battery (original finally died), replaced the antenna (broken in a wind storm). I added two rear speakers to improve the sound, and due to getting hit by a car I have replaced the rear fender. None of these were really complicated. I just reached 34k miles and I am preparing to do my first oil change. Also according to the previous maintenance record I am going to replace the brake pads. I am lucky that I have a mechanical background, yet nothing has seemed to complicated (except the battery location). In my opinion the Spyder is not very complicated to work on.

quasi
05-19-2017, 12:13 PM
Nope, not to difficult. that is until it's time to remove the airfilter box to access the spark plugs. haven't changed out the plugs yet but will soon. and when I do the airbox and resonator are going into file 13 and JT's airfilter will be installed. actually the worse thing about doing basic maintenance on these rascals is removing the Tupperware.

Chupaca
05-19-2017, 12:31 PM
Looks like you have enjoyed your ryde, outside of the accident:pray: glad it was only a fender....looks like a leisurely mornings work and then out to seat the brakes and enjoy a ryde...:clap:

tjmonty32
05-19-2017, 12:46 PM
it is my hope to most of the maintenance myself.

tjmonty32
05-19-2017, 12:56 PM
luv it

ARtraveler
05-19-2017, 01:00 PM
:welcome: and :congrats: The 2012 A & C is a pretty good machine. We have the same in 2011 flavor. Oil changes, filters, tires and check overs are all we have encountered so far. 25K on the clock.

pegasus1300
05-19-2017, 01:12 PM
I have a 2012 RT L that has needed only wear items and oil changes. These are all easy to do,only time consuming because of all the body panels that need to be removed. This can be a little complicated and there is a definite order to that removal.
Great machine. I bought mine with 8500 mi on it and it now has 28000. Should put another 8-10000 on it this year.

KX5062
05-21-2017, 08:32 AM
Check the pads before actually buying replacements, if you haven't done so already. (You post kinda read like you were replacing on a schedule and not out of need.) If you are buying brake pads I recommend the EBC pads vs. OEM. The EBC are much better quality than OEM and usually cheaper to boot. :thumbup:

IGETAROUND
05-21-2017, 11:02 AM
Congratulations on your purchase; that is a beauty for sure. Have you purchased a shop manual??? If not the green manuals can be purchased online and work fairly well. mostly wear and tear stuff that goes out on these machines and the wrenching is mostly straight forward. The suggestion below about the brakes is good; BajaRon is a great supplier of most things spyder; and if he doesn't have it Spyder pops most likely will!! Enjoy your ride, doing your own wrenching is the best way to learn about the intricacies of your ride IMHO. Just rolled over 40K on mine last month. :yes::clap::ohyea::yikes:

If you are buying brake pads I recommend the EBC pads vs. OEM. The EBC are much better quality than OEM and usually cheaper to boot. :thumbup:

tjmonty32
06-01-2017, 09:12 PM
Just completed the oil change. It was not hard, removing the bottom plate made replacing the oil filter easy. All panels went back on. Test drove it and it sounds better. No oil leaks. Purchased the oil kit at the local Can Am dealer for $75.00, their fee was $220.00 for the oil change. Also put some Armorall on the rear hand heated grips, this really restored their appearance.

tjmonty32
06-19-2017, 09:55 AM
Just completed front brake pad replacement on 2012 RT. Purchased new EBC pads $99.00 (thanks KX5062). The process was very simple, however I do have one caution. The replacement EBC pads do not come with the small spring clips, these must be removed from the existing pads and transferred to the new replacement pads. While removing one of these paper clip sized spring clips, it bounced from my needle nose pliers out the garage, hit the driveway and eventually bounced in to the grass to be lost forever. Needless to say my son and searched the driveway and grass for this tiny clip for nearly an hour. Eventually I ended up at the local Can Am dealer, ASK Powersports. Their repair shop could not locate an extra clip, at this point I was near desperation. I was directed to the parts counter where I was told I would have to purchase a new set of Can Am brake pads (clips included) at a cost of $120.00. However, after hearing my story, and realizing I only needed one
paper sized clip, the sales person removed the clip from their stock pads, gave it to me and stated " I'm not going to charge you $120.00 for a paperclip, take it and finish your brakes." A huge smile came over my face. I thanked the salesperson and told him I would remember his graciousness. I took the clip, finished the pad replacement and now the brakes are in new condition as the previous pads were more than half way worn. So a shout out to ASK Powersports.

http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/eKEAAOSwIQdZILwQ/s-l500.jpg