PDA

View Full Version : Who blows their ryde?

Road-Kill
05-18-2017, 01:36 PM
I just finished washing my ryde, took out my leaf blower and blew it dry.
I hate those micro abrasions cloth causes from dirt getting caught in them.
I also don't go crazy when I clean my ryde....rinse-soap-rinse-blow.
Who else blow dries their ryde or do you use old towels or fancy and expensive space cadet cloth?

Bob Denman
05-18-2017, 01:39 PM
:shocked: Isn't this a rather personal question? :D
I take mine out for a quick ride. That gets it dry enough for me! :2thumbs:

Chupaca
05-18-2017, 01:41 PM
If I do work in the garage and the ryde gets covered in dust etc then I do blow the dust off. Not fond of washing the spyder and only when I want to clean the engine and frame do I blow the water off then towel dry...

SteveLaoyster
05-18-2017, 01:45 PM
Last time I washed it I used the towel that comes in the S100 kit. Works good enough. The S100 detail spray is great for a nice, not to much work, finish.

I have used the leaf blower in the past. Does a nice job.

blacklightning
05-18-2017, 01:47 PM
:agree: That is what I do, and if I really want to do a good job, I will go over it with some quick detailer after I return from a ride around the block.

bmccaffrey
05-18-2017, 06:48 PM
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOH BOY

NOT A GOOD QUESTION TO ASK ON HERE:gaah::roflblack:

Grandpot
05-18-2017, 06:52 PM
First time my neighbor saw me use the leaf blower on my bike, he laughed. He never saw me use it to blow leaves. :roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:

Nokesy
05-18-2017, 07:01 PM
I am so full of hot air I just talk to the spyder and it dries off.

I also have a bike dryer for back up;)

SPYD3R
05-18-2017, 07:02 PM
NO COMMENT

BLUEKNIGHT911
05-18-2017, 07:10 PM
Who else blow dries their ryde or do you use old towels or fancy and expensive space cadet cloth?
:agree: ... I have 160 mph leaf blower that I use to get the majority of the rinse water off the Spyder after I'm done washing it....... or if it's just dusty I use it to get that off. I have seen cars at the dealers after they take the shrink wrap off, and before they are washed...... They are swirl free - no scratches etc..... after they get washed the First time that paint is scratched......just from washing it ........ So the folks here who THINK wrapping the wheels etc with micro fiber cloths etc before they use Rachet straps on them, are preventing scratches - think again ....... putting the strap over the tire is the ONLY way you are not going to Scratch that Paint ........ Mike :thumbup:

cuznjohn
05-18-2017, 07:14 PM
i have bad knees

SteveLaoyster
05-18-2017, 08:47 PM
Anyone ever use a hair dryer on their ryde?? I have heard of someone doing it. Don't remember who told me though.

robtdonna
05-18-2017, 09:28 PM

:agree:

pegasus1300
05-18-2017, 09:34 PM
:shocked: Isn't this a rather personal question? :D

Ride it home from the car wash,usually dries it just fine.

3 wheeler
05-18-2017, 09:38 PM
I hand wash mine, blow it off with the leaf blower, then finish drying it with a Napa water sprite.

PistonBlown
05-18-2017, 09:40 PM
Your supposed to clean them?

BLUEKNIGHT911
05-18-2017, 10:14 PM
I drove my Spyder once without drying it :yikes::banghead: ..... the Spyder dried fine .....However the water all landed on me ..... Not doing that again ...:roflblack::roflblack::roflblack: ............. Mike :thumbup:

SteveLaoyster
05-18-2017, 10:20 PM
Your supposed to clean them?
147929:roflblack::roflblack::roflblack: Nice responce!!

Bob Denman
05-19-2017, 06:45 AM
:D Leaf blowers... I've got a 4-sroke model that would work perfect for that! :thumbup:
I keep threatening to take it in the house, and help with the cleaning... The Missus remians unconvinced that it won't lead to my premature demise. :lecturef_smilie::shocked:

Road-Kill
05-19-2017, 09:28 AM
Blowing your ryde is serious stuff. Who wants micro abrasions! I'm reading the responses and none feel the need to care for their ryde. There is nothing wrong with a clean, smooth and shiny ryde. I've been blowing my bikes for many years and wanted some helpful feedback, that's all. I was hoping after 20 years of blowing that there were alternatives. Geeeese!

Bob Denman
05-19-2017, 09:30 AM
:D

Nobody ever said that we all had to dance to the same tune... :2thumbs:
"Micro abrasions"?? :dontknow:
What's that?
With my eyeballs: I'm lucky to be able to see gouges! nojoke

bzbaeren
05-19-2017, 09:35 AM
My neighbor details vehicles he use Deionized water which doesn't require drying because it doesn't leave spots but then he blow it down to prevent the water from picking up dust and running out of the joints and crevices later his jobs always look great so the blow makes sense to me if you are concerned about look and long term care of the finish on your machine.

5legsshort
05-19-2017, 09:45 AM
Friend told me about doing this so I gave it a couple tries, come to find out my leaf blower exhaust (2 stroke) is fed into the airstream and caused a slight film on paint surface. Then I picked up an electric powered one someone was getting rid of and it works much better just have to deal with a cord now...

ARNIE R
05-19-2017, 09:17 PM
Portable air compressor. 30-40 PSI. Works well, especially in the cracks and crevices.

BLUEKNIGHT911
05-19-2017, 09:40 PM
Blowing your ryde is serious stuff. Who wants micro abrasions! I'm reading the responses and none feel the need to care for their ryde. There is nothing wrong with a clean, smooth and shiny ryde. I've been blowing my bikes for many years and wanted some helpful feedback, that's all. I was hoping after 20 years of blowing that there were alternatives. Geeeese!
You only read some of them !!!!!!!! ........... Mike :thumbup:

cuznjohn
05-19-2017, 09:41 PM
also remember, try not to burn your lips on the exhaust pipe

oldman55
05-19-2017, 09:49 PM
I use the S100 to clean mine then either blow dry or ride it. Then it's liquid glass wax, simple, wipe on/ wipe off. Looks good till I ride it again then it's covered with bug splatters. With the liquid glass bugs come off fairly easy.

kngfsh27
05-19-2017, 10:49 PM
I washed my new ride today for the first time after 4100 miles since Feb.1st. As I was washing it, I remembered my dealer talking about a guy who will wash and detail for around $100.:yes: I don't care how he gets it dry.:roflblack: He will be seeing me a least once a month. I don't mind waxing, it's the washing that sucks (or blows). I do have a leaf blower. It has been doing a really good job hanging in the shed since I cut down all my trees.

kml354
05-20-2017, 09:49 AM
I worried so much about Micro Abrasions I had to sell the spyder.

JayBros
05-20-2017, 11:35 AM
That's what I like about this forum; every now and then there are real keeper nuggets of information. Washed my Spyder this a.m. after 700+ miles of normal riding soil and fired up the blower. It did a great job! Thanks, Road-Kill.

SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN
05-20-2017, 12:43 PM
hi, my name is ryde

Peteoz
05-20-2017, 03:27 PM

:roflblack::roflblack:

Ron2andia
05-20-2017, 05:20 PM
:roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:
hi, my name is ryde

Road-Kill
05-20-2017, 05:24 PM
I hope everyone gets micro abrasions!:thumbup:

Bob Denman
05-20-2017, 06:19 PM
I'd take micro-abrasions in a heartbeat! :shocked:
I spent the morning chopping my way through a thornbush that had gotten a bit too "aggressive" along our split rail fence...
Forty feet of fun later: I needed a transfusion! :yikes:

cuznjohn
05-20-2017, 06:23 PM
i am actually old school like bob said way back in the begging of this tread. wash the bike, then b4 putting everything away, get on the parkway, and ride like you stole it. the wind does a great job drying it

Bob Denman
05-20-2017, 06:25 PM
i am actually old school like bob said way back in the begging of this tread. wash the bike, then b4 putting everything away, get on the parkway, and ride like you stole it. the wind does a great job drying it
And it's GREAT entertainment for the local Law Enforcement Gang... :clap: :2thumbs:

CA Railwhale
05-21-2017, 11:32 AM
I use a high pressure nozzle on my compressor, then finish up with a towel to get the water that hides in the recesses.

BLUEKNIGHT911
05-21-2017, 12:20 PM
I use a high pressure nozzle on my compressor, then finish up with a towel to get the water that hides in the recesses.
I would think it works the other way around ..... the compressor gets the water in the recesses out ......:dontknow: ..... at least that what my 160 mph leaf does ....... Mike :thumbup:

Killer Bee
05-21-2017, 01:09 PM
Am I the only one who thought the OP was asking about adding a supercharger? 🤔

Bob Denman
05-21-2017, 01:14 PM
:clap: No... :clap:
But the title of the thread was JUST suggestive enough...
I couldn't resist peeking! :D

irvin48
05-22-2017, 06:28 AM
in the interest of not going where most of you already have, i too have washed
mine at my friends Superwash. they have the deioninized spot free rinse that works
well. in the interest of safety, pleased dont go through the automatic bays unless
you cant make time for a bath.

only washed twice since ive had it. usually use a detailer and microfiber cloths

Stumpy6Guns
05-22-2017, 11:23 PM
I use a leaf blower to get the water out of the cracks and crevices, followed by CLEAN microfiber cloths from Costco to finish it up.

Rogue Hawk
05-23-2017, 01:18 PM
My spyder is cute, but I have no desire to blow it.

greybeard
05-23-2017, 03:10 PM
Wayne Carrini on the velocity channel advertises a blower dryer he uses on his high dollar cars

BLUEKNIGHT911
05-23-2017, 04:50 PM
Wayne Carrini on the velocity channel advertises a blower dryer he uses on his high dollar cars
:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::agree: .......He also Doesn't put straps through the wheels of His cars either ........ Most likely OVER the tires like I do ..... Mike :thumbup:

Road-Kill
05-23-2017, 05:16 PM
There are high-end "detailing" blowers out there but they are a waste of money. I have used my buddies "motorcycle" blower but my cheap leaf blower blows better....no pun intended. I have had it for around 17 years, cost $50.00 and it still does a great job.

My original post was to see if there were new methods at drying a ryde but if it aint broke don't fix it so my leaf blower stays!

Set&Drift
06-06-2018, 03:52 PM
Use leaf blower on Jeeps as well as Spyder. Gets water out from behind medallions and eliminate water spots from drops drying on black frame. Also learner to wipe with microfiber in the direction the wind flows over Spyder. Eliminates swirl marks.

ARtraveler
06-06-2018, 04:15 PM
The air blower method of drying is good. When mine get washed, I just take them for a ride and let Mother Nature take care of the blow dry.

All three are due--they have not been washed since last season. Gotta love that "Alaska Grunge." :roflblack::roflblack:

In my defense, it is very difficult at the moment for me to get down and dirty with washing the bike. I can get down--but it is hard to get up. :thumbup:

stmike 1800
06-06-2018, 04:23 PM

must be rough ridding through the car wash .:joke:

ARtraveler
06-06-2018, 04:26 PM
must be rough ridding through the car wash .:joke:

Brings back the memories of "Anyway But Loose" with Clint and his favorite motorcycle gang. Got a lot of laughs out of that bunch. Can still hear the music in my head...DAHda, DAHda DAHda....

UtahPete
06-06-2018, 05:58 PM
Sure do miss this guy...!

UtahPete
06-06-2018, 06:00 PM
hi, my name is ryde
This one was pretty good, too.

UtahPete
06-06-2018, 06:52 PM
Feedback; I don't think the Spyder is any more susceptible to paint damage or swirls from washing and drying it with the right materials and cloths than the typical automobile. Some people are fanatical about a clean, shiny ride and some aren't. I'm in the latter category.

I also got rid of my lawn because I wasn't willing to maintain it to the community standards!

Life is too short for unnecessary rituals, I think.

ThreeWheels
06-06-2018, 09:24 PM

I use Honda spray polish instead of water. A little spritz, and wipe off with the towel.
On the rare occasions that I wash the Spyder with soap and water, I use the leaf blower to dry it off.

canamjhb
06-06-2018, 10:19 PM
Dry.....? I use a spray bottle of water and rag and ride around the bike on my HF stool. Bike is dry in seconds. It is a dry heat here......

stmike 1800
06-07-2018, 06:31 AM
I do use a leaf blower after a wash .When doing a quick clean ,ie windshield and front end to get some bugs off ,i use a micro towel soaked in water with wash and wax. I keep the towel in a zip bag ,and can use it for quick clean ups on the road .Honda spray is a great product ,and i use it after the bike is dry.