PDA

View Full Version : Canada info, please

punji
05-18-2017, 12:09 PM
Hey, all --

Wife and I will be leaving NC next Thursday for Valcourt. Booked at Grand Times Hotel, Sherbrooke. We're thinking about doing it up right and taking the Trans Canada Highway all the way west thru the Canadian Rockies to Washington state. I have the route pretty well mapped out in 250 - 300 mile segments -- that's about how far we care to ride the '15 RT Limited and the new F3L pulling a trailer. I'm unsure that the distances between fuel stations is compatible with the 1330's range, especially in the more remote parts of Canada. Also have some concerns about motel/hotel availability due to Summer tourism. Any hints, advice or tips are greatly welcome.

Also, on separate topic. I've been in contact with the Canadian Mounted Police re: pistols and long guns at the border. The internet is ripe with misinformation. Pistols of any kind are a strict no-no. There are 4 reasons pistols may be imported. Personal protection is NOT on the list. Long guns are viewed more permissively. But regs vary province to province. Gotta know where you are going to know what you can do. Since I am an avid fan of 2d Amendment rights, the inability to defend wife and self while traveling in the 21st Century is bothersome. But it is what it is...

Thanks again...

Punji

Bob Denman
05-18-2017, 12:14 PM
Punji,
Regarding our Second Amendment rights:
You gotta play by their rules, when you're in their sandbox... nojoke
The only other advice that I've got, is just a reminder that if you order bacon with your breakfast: it won't be what you think it is! :shocked:
But it's still pretty darn good anyway!
Have a fun and safe trip! :thumbup:

ARtraveler
05-18-2017, 12:14 PM
Hey, all --

Wife and I will be leaving NC next Thursday for Valcourt. Booked at Grand Times Hotel, Sherbrooke. We're thinking about doing it up right and taking the Trans Canada Highway all the way west thru the Canadian Rockies to Washington state. I have the route pretty well mapped out in 250 - 300 mile segments -- that's about how far we care to ride the '15 RT Limited and the new F3L pulling a trailer. I'm unsure that the distances between fuel stations is compatible with the 1330's range, especially in the more remote parts of Canada. Also have some concerns about motel/hotel availability due to Summer tourism. Any hints, advice or tips are greatly welcome.

Also, on separate topic. I've been in contact with the Canadian Mounted Police re: pistols and long guns at the border. The internet is ripe with misinformation. Pistols of any kind are a strict no-no. There are 4 reasons pistols may be imported. Personal protection is NOT on the list. Long guns are viewed more permissively. But regs vary province to province. Gotta know where you are going to know what you can do. Since I am an avid fan of 2d Amendment rights, the inability to defend wife and self while traveling in the 21st Century is bothersome. But it is what it is...

Thanks again...

Punji

Gas should not be a problem on the Trans Canada. Even when we got to the Alaska Highway--the biggest gap was a little over 100 miles between stations.

billybovine
05-18-2017, 12:38 PM
Hey, all --

Thanks again...

Punji

I hope you have a good trip.

Accommodation could be a problem. Best strategy would be to call ahead in the morning and book for that night. Driving around looking for a place when you're tired will just suck.

Gas should not be a big problem if you are mostly sticking to the Trans Canada. If you have a smartphone. Get the gas buddy app.

Leave the guns at home. Just easier. That goes for some types of knives, mace or bear spray.
Don't bring food across the border. It may be more of a hassle than it's worth. For god sakes don't try and bring bring citrus fruit back into the US. That plus an attitude will bring out the swat team. :joke:

billybovine
05-18-2017, 12:44 PM
Punji,
The only other advice that I've got, is just a reminder that if you order bacon with your breakfast: it won't be what you think it is! :shocked:

Sorry Bob but our bacon is the same as yours. We don't have Canadian Bacon in Canada. That's a US thing. If you do want Canadian bacon you would have to ask for back bacon. Not very common and likely they will not have it. More likely have peameal bacon. That's back bacon rolled in cornmeal.

Pirate looks at --
05-18-2017, 12:58 PM
Hey, all --

Thanks again...

Punji
You're going to Canada, not Chicago!

Pirate looks at --
05-18-2017, 12:59 PM
Punji,
Back bacon is very disappointing compared to the belly bacon we all love so much!:banghead:

ARtraveler
05-18-2017, 01:08 PM
Bacon vs. Guns.

:bbq::bbq::bbq::bbq:

:roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflb lack:

oldgoat
05-18-2017, 01:22 PM
If you have criminal convictions & they ask you at the border, be honest. You may or may not be refused entry.

If you have any DUIs & you are crossing the border while driving/riding you will more than likely be refused entry.

We are not "holier than thou" but have enough of our own.

blacklightning
05-18-2017, 01:38 PM
Wouldn't Canadian Bacon in Canada just be called bacon? Kind of like a Swiss Army knife in Switzerland is just a knife.:joke:

Pirate looks at --
05-18-2017, 01:49 PM
Wouldn't Canadian Bacon in Canada just be called bacon? Kind of like a Swiss Army knife in Switzerland is just a knife.:joke:
In China, Chinese food is just called food!:roflblack:

Nokesy
05-18-2017, 07:13 PM
Hey, all --

Thanks again...

Punji

Don't worry about your guns, we are very nice people and 99% of us would be shocked to see a hand gun. I have driven from one side of Canada to the other, If you are travelling the trans Canada you should not have a problem with gas, motels until you get west of Manitoba. Watch the distance between towns as not much gas between them. Though if you run low I have found the farmer are usually nice enough to spot you gas.

You will see some nice landscape on the way and some long straight roads in others. Usually takes three days to go through Ontario and you will find lots of trucks on the road as well

Enjoy, you will have fun and should not feel unsafe anywhere, unless you are hanging out a biker bars;)

armyspydervet
05-18-2017, 07:41 PM
Bacon vs. Guns.

:bbq::bbq::bbq::bbq:

:roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflb lack:
Bacon, Guns, and Coffee. My three favorite things.

cheska
05-18-2017, 09:44 PM
We left Vancouver Island yesterday we have been on CA1, CA5, and CA16 we are currently overnighting in Edson west of
Edmonton. We have seen sun, rain, slush, and snow thru the Canadian Rockies. Average temperature is 50 plus.
So come on up to sunny at times Canada. But we have seen deer, moose, mountain sheep (on the road in Jasper national park) plus one black bear all in 2 days. So we are enjoying the trip to Valcort. Bob

BlueRidge
05-18-2017, 11:33 PM
Have you encountered our national bird - the mosquito. Beware of them as they will hunt you down like vampires. Enjoy the trip across the prairies when you hit Richer, Manitoba you will enter in some of the nicest eastern parts of Canada. Enjoy. Seriously do not worry about gasoline or food as there are tons of gas stations and restaurants along the way. I would however try and book a room a couple days in advance at a minimum. Don't bring any rifles and guns or knives or any drugs. You will not need any sort of protection in this country. It is very safe but just keep your self on the road and out of trouble.

IdahoMtnSpyder
05-18-2017, 11:50 PM
Since I am an avid fan of 2d Amendment rights, the inability to defend wife and self while traveling in the 21st Century is bothersome. But it is what it is...

Thanks again...

Punji

2nd Amendment does not apply to Canada.

WellsboroSpyder
05-19-2017, 06:44 AM
If you have criminal convictions & they ask you at the border, be honest. You may or may not be refused entry.

If you have any DUIs & you are crossing the border while driving/riding you will more than likely be refused entry.

We are not "holier than thou" but have enough of our own.

1st we know someone who had DUI in the past. They had found help and have been alcohol free for over 10 years. Are you saying this person, who spends a lot of timing helping and attending church, would be denied a trip to Canada?

2nd I find it odd that you government may or may not refused entry if you're a murderer or sexual predator but will more than likely be refused if you made a stupid choice as a twenty something kid.

Wife and I don't have any of these problems but with 3000 spyders coming someone is bound to. Is there any agency these people can contact to seek info?:dontknow:

Bob Denman
05-19-2017, 06:52 AM
Bacon, Guns, and Coffee. My three favorite things.

:D May I add a fourth item to that list? :D

Rob Rodriguez
05-19-2017, 07:13 AM
If you have a DUI you will be denied entry into Canada. However there are ways around this and they involve paying a fee for entry. One option is to pay a fee at the time of crossing. Last time I was with a person who did this (maybe 10 years ago) the fee was $250 USD for the day. This person then hired a lawyer which basically filled out some paperwork and paid a fee to wipe the DUI from their record for the purposes of crossing into Canada. Basically, if you pay the fine in some shape or form you are good to go........See American and Canadian governments really aren't that different. It just comes down to money

Note: This is driving across the border only. You can fly into Canada all you like with a DUI.

oldgoat
05-19-2017, 07:49 AM
1st we know someone who had DUI in the past. They had found help and have been alcohol free for over 10 years. Are you saying this person, who spends a lot of timing helping and attending church, would be denied a trip to Canada?

2nd I find it odd that you government may or may not refused entry if you're a murderer or sexual predator but will more than likely be refused if you made a stupid choice as a twenty something kid.

Wife and I don't have any of these problems but with 3000 spyders coming someone is bound to. Is there any agency these people can contact to seek info?:dontknow:

It entirely depends on the border guard you end up with & your behaviour when speaking to him/her as to whether your previous criminal history is discussed. They have access to all your convictions. Chances are all will be ok, but you don't want to travel a very long way to end up being turned around.

The OP did ask & I'm telling.

Road-Kill
05-19-2017, 08:27 AM
Be careful up there in Canada. I hear the U.S. is declaring war with Canada soon. Canadian Bacon?....:joke:

bcer960
05-19-2017, 09:34 AM
[QUOTE=WellsboroSpyder;1259555]1st we know someone who had DUI in the past. They had found help and have been alcohol free for over 10 years. Are you saying this person, who spends a lot of timing helping and attending church, would be denied a trip to Canada? /QUOTE]

Sorry Guys, same thing happens when trying to get into the states. A friend of mine had a DUI in the 70's. He has a pardon. And you guys still won't let him in......

MurrayBrown
05-19-2017, 10:18 AM
Hey, all --

Wife and I will be leaving NC next Thursday for Valcourt. Booked at Grand Times Hotel, Sherbrooke. We're thinking about doing it up right and taking the Trans Canada Highway all the way west thru the Canadian Rockies to Washington state. I have the route pretty well mapped out in 250 - 300 mile segments -- that's about how far we care to ride the '15 RT Limited and the new F3L pulling a trailer. I'm unsure that the distances between fuel stations is compatible with the 1330's range, especially in the more remote parts of Canada. Also have some concerns about motel/hotel availability due to Summer tourism. Any hints, advice or tips are greatly welcome. Also, on separate topic. I've been in contact with the Canadian Mounted Police re: pistols and long guns at the border. The internet is ripe with misinformation. Pistols of any kind are a strict no-no. There are 4 reasons pistols may be imported. Personal protection is NOT on the list. Long guns are viewed more permissively. But regs vary province to province. Gotta know where you are going to know what you can do. Since I am an avid fan of 2d Amendment rights, the inability to defend wife and self while traveling in the 21st Century is bothersome. But it is what it is... Thanks again...
Punji

Leave your guns at home. I'm not going to open up a can of worms about guns on this forum. Leave them at home. Thank you.

Fuel along the Trans Canada Highway. You'll have no issues. Look at the locations where you'll be traveling and pre-plan fuel stops along the way. The only possible location where you need to really pre-plan is between Sault Ste Marie and Thunder Bay, overt the north shore of Lake Superior. Yes, the communities are few, but all have fuel.

As for accommodations, we always use booking.com It has been our primary "tool" for years.

Lagaffe
05-19-2017, 10:40 AM

It's exactely the same rule (And probably worst) for Canadians trying to enter to USA...

bscrive
05-19-2017, 11:12 AM

If someone has any sort of criminal past, especially if it was a violent crime, they will probably be denied entry into Canada. Same thing will happen if they have an attitude when talking to the border guard. They had better call Canadian Border Services to see if they can be admissible. Failing to do so is their own fault if they get turned back.

Going to another country is a privilege, not a right, regardless what anyone thinks. When we travel to the US, we know that we are let into your country by the grace of the border guard that we talk to. If for any reason they decide not to let us in then it would be too bad for us. Same for anyone coming to Canada.

Play by the rules and I hope to meet as many of you as I can.

Brian

Buckeye Bleau
05-19-2017, 11:23 AM
Those going to Quebec, be sure to order "Putin" or "Puteen" whatever they call it. :yes: It is not healthy, but it is sooooooo good. French fries, sprinkled with squeaky cheese curds and covered in brown gravy, a local dish served hot and accessorized with a coupon for a Ryde to the local ER. :thumbup:

Joe

bscrive
05-19-2017, 06:29 PM
Those going to Quebec, be sure to order "Putin" or "Puteen" whatever they call it. :yes: It is not healthy, but it is sooooooo good. French fries, sprinkled with squeaky cheese curds and covered in brown gravy, a local dish served hot and accessorized with a coupon for a Ryde to the local ER. :thumbup:

Joe

I thought you guys down there called them "Freedom Fries" :roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:

You are close, it is called Poutine and it is great. It can be made with curds (squeaky cheese) or shredded cheese depending on the place you get it from. There is a French word that is close in pronunciation, but means something totally different. If the woman slaps you, you will know that you pronounced it wrong. nojoke

WellsboroSpyder
05-19-2017, 06:40 PM
If someone has any sort of criminal past, especially if it was a violent crime, they will probably be denied entry into Canada. Same thing will happen if they have an attitude when talking to the border guard. They had better call Canadian Border Services to see if they can be admissible. Failing to do so is their own fault if they get turned back.

Going to another country is a privilege, not a right, regardless what anyone thinks. When we travel to the US, we know that we are let into your country by the grace of the border guard that we talk to. If for any reason they decide not to let us in then it would be too bad for us. Same for anyone coming to Canada.

Play by the rules and I hope to meet as many of you as I can.

Brian

I have no worries but this was my point. Among 3000 people I'm sure someone my need this information. Would hate to see my fellow spyder brothers or sisters turned away for something that comes up from past history. We have had the Spyder to Niagara Falls with no problems. Before our Spyder days we rode 4 wheelers and was able to cross In to Canada at Jackman Maine. What a blast and saw moose.

gazunni
05-19-2017, 07:06 PM
Pretty simple, unless you are hunting, DON'T bring guns into Canada. Your second amendment rights don't apply here. Lived here all my life and never needed a gun. This is not meant as an argument, just a warning, it's not fun to be detained at the border, guns confiscated, sent home and then having to reappear on gun related charges. Even if you risk bringing a long gun it can't be loaded and ammo must be separated. We do have extradition with the U.S. so they can get you back here to face charges if these do happen.
In all cases if you are bringing a rifle or shotgun into Canada it must be for hunting purposes and you must fill out an Application for an Authorization to Transport Restricted Firearms at the border and that will cost $50. If you can't prove you are going hunting you will be denied. You must also adhere to Storage, Display, Transportation and Handling of Firearms Regulations.
Hope that helps.

Hey, all --

Thanks again...

Punji

gazunni
05-19-2017, 07:25 PM
If you order Bacon in Canada, it will be the same bacon you get in the states.

Canadian bacon ordered in the USA is actually ham in Canada

Pemeal Bacon in Canada, is pickled pork loin rolled in either cornmeal or Peameal. If you order Canadian bacon in Canada you will get Peameal Bacon.

So if you have ordered Canadian Bacon in the USA it will NOT be the Canadian Bacon you get in Canada.

it is yummy.

Punji,

gazunni
05-19-2017, 07:30 PM
Thats a heck of a trip 5700 miles from Valcourt back to NC.

Hey, all --

Thanks again...

Punji

gazunni
05-19-2017, 07:33 PM
And Drummondville is said to be the Home of Poutine in Canada. It definitely would not be Putin, as they would be Russian fries and those come with Vodka and Caviar;)

Joe

gazunni
05-19-2017, 07:35 PM
Thats a heck of a trip 5700 miles from Valcourt back to NC.

Hey, all --

Thanks again...

Punji

asp125
05-19-2017, 08:19 PM
When we crossed into Canada (in 2014) we declared we had our long gun in the RV, and had to register the weapon and pay a fee. They pulled us aside, into the building and ran a check on our identities and filled out the paperwork. We also had to let them physically look at the gun.

Here is the link http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/fs-fd/visit-visite-eng.htm

.. and the form http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/form-formulaire/pdfs/5589-eng.pdf

And yes, what visit to french Canada would be complete without poutine!

jaherbst
05-19-2017, 09:11 PM
Punji,

Aw yes "Canadian Bacon With Tomatoes". My favorite Pizza. Really!

Jack

jaherbst
05-19-2017, 09:15 PM
If you order Bacon in Canada, it will be the same bacon you get in the states.

Canadian bacon ordered in the USA is actually ham in Canada

Pemeal Bacon in Canada, is pickled pork loin rolled in either cornmeal or Peameal. If you order Canadian bacon in Canada you will get Peameal Bacon.

So if you have ordered Canadian Bacon in the USA it will NOT be the Canadian Bacon you get in Canada.

it is yummy.

Come on, this is getting way to complicated for our "resident" Bacon Lover. Eh Bob?

​Jack

bscrive
05-20-2017, 06:50 AM
I have no worries but this was my point. Among 3000 people I'm sure someone my need this information. Would hate to see my fellow spyder brothers or sisters turned away for something that comes up from past history. We have had the Spyder to Niagara Falls with no problems. Before our Spyder days we rode 4 wheelers and was able to cross In to Canada at Jackman Maine. What a blast and saw moose.

I am sure that it will happen to someone. With all the discussion going on about travelling here next month. I am sure there will be a few stories on here about being tuned away at the border for the very same reasons that are being discussed. There are always a few hat think they know how to thwart the system and end up being caught.

Whenever we travel to a new country we always check out what the differences are and what not to do. Sometimes, what seems like a minor thing to us can be a huge issue in that country. Sure, we can just not go, but then we would miss out on a glorious experience.

SteveP
05-20-2017, 09:12 AM
Hey, all --

Thanks again...

Punji

Lots of gas stations up here , lots of towns and cities along the highways mostly like the good ole USA ...... doubt you will need a gun of any type unless you plan on trying to rob a bank up here ( haven't needed one in 55 years but that's just me I guess) . Hunting is still popular here but Not sure where you would carry a long rifle on a Spyder ? Don't rely on what you read on the internet .... come see it for yourself

SteveP
05-20-2017, 09:22 AM
If you have a DUI you will be denied entry into Canada. However there are ways around this and they involve paying a fee for entry. One option is to pay a fee at the time of crossing. Last time I was with a person who did this (maybe 10 years ago) the fee was $250 USD for the day. This person then hired a lawyer which basically filled out some paperwork and paid a fee to wipe the DUI from their record for the purposes of crossing into Canada. Basically, if you pay the fine in some shape or form you are good to go........See American and Canadian governments really aren't that different. It just comes down to money

Note: This is driving across the border only. You can fly into Canada all you like with a DUI.

You can't make a criminal record go away by waving money at a Border agency. ( wether you consider it " a silly adolescent slip up " or not ) You would need to get a pardon on your record
its not any different than going from here to the States

punji
05-22-2017, 06:31 AM
I knew I could count on you for info. Even for info I wasn't expecting ... bacon, for example. :clap:

The Spyders are cleaned/polished and sitting in the garage staring at roadmaps. Going to DMV this morning to register newly arrived trailer.

My apologies to our Canadian cousins who thought I was insulting the sanctity of their fine country with my comments about the 2d Amendment. Not so. I wasn't planning on carrying a firearm because of concerns about Canda. I have to travel through the U.S. to get to and from Valcourt. Thus, the firearm. 30+ years in Florida taught me that many Americans are perfectly willing to open fire over perceived driving irregularities -- or less. Open-carry is the law of the land in North Carolina and I like it. Once you get over seeing firearms in Walmart then you gain respect for how responsible most gun-carrying Americans are. Besides, here in far western NC there's not many cops to go around.

At any rate, thanks for the info/advice. See you in Valcourt.

punji

gazunni
05-22-2017, 08:55 PM
I understand that that there are certain places to lock your guns up or store prior to crossing over the border. Not sure where they are. This could be a potential solution that could be researched.

I knew I could count on you for info. Even for info I wasn't expecting ... bacon, for example. :clap:

The Spyders are cleaned/polished and sitting in the garage staring at roadmaps. Going to DMV this morning to register newly arrived trailer.

My apologies to our Canadian cousins who thought I was insulting the sanctity of their fine country with my comments about the 2d Amendment. Not so. I wasn't planning on carrying a firearm because of concerns about Canda. I have to travel through the U.S. to get to and from Valcourt. Thus, the firearm. 30+ years in Florida taught me that many Americans are perfectly willing to open fire over perceived driving irregularities -- or less. Open-carry is the law of the land in North Carolina and I like it. Once you get over seeing firearms in Walmart then you gain respect for how responsible most gun-carrying Americans are. Besides, here in far western NC there's not many cops to go around.

At any rate, thanks for the info/advice. See you in Valcourt.

punji

Maurice Leduc
05-25-2017, 06:28 AM

Joe
You can order poutine in Florida to. I hate one at Strawberry festival in Plant City FL.

Pirate looks at --
05-25-2017, 07:35 AM
Here is an interesting question. We live in California where a Motorcycle Endorsement is not required to ryde a spyder. While my wife and I have had one in the past, they have long since expired. So my question is will this cause any issue at the Canadian border?:gaah:

bscrive
05-25-2017, 08:29 AM
Here is an interesting question. We live in California where a Motorcycle Endorsement is not required to ryde a spyder. While my wife and I have had one in the past, they have long since expired. So my question is will this cause any issue at the Canadian border?:gaah:

If you are legal to ride your Spyder in your state without a motorcycle license then you are legal in Canada as well. Doubtful they will ask. Quebec residents don't need a motorcycle license either for a Spyder. They just do an 8 hour course.

Brian

Pirate looks at --
05-25-2017, 09:39 AM
If you are legal to ride your Spyder in your state without a motorcycle license then you are legal in Canada as well. Doubtful they will ask. Quebec residents don't need a motorcycle license either for a Spyder. They just do an 8 hour course.

Brian
Thanks Brian!:yes:

sandeejs
05-25-2017, 02:34 PM
A few years ago I was headed to Tobermory for a camping-photography trip. I said something to the border agent about I didn't see why my friends were waiting to come up on the weekend. "It wasn't like any of them had jobs".
I was delayed for 3 hours, until somebody believed me that I didn't need to buy my drugs in Canada; I have decent insurance.
Answer what they ask, folks. Move along, nothing to see here.
~Sandee~