PDA

View Full Version : Vss fault/check Dps

Rainbolt
05-13-2017, 05:40 PM
I have a 2009 RS manual. Took it in to get a new back tire put on. Now it keeps throwing a vss fault check dps code n going into limp home mode its in the shop now for the 3rd time n already spent $950 for a new sensor. They said it was good to go, got it half way home, threw the code again....any insight to fixing this would be helpful. This is getting very frustrating n expensive...:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghea d:

Bob Denman
05-13-2017, 05:44 PM
:welcome:
Have you tried riding the bike a couple of miles?
When there's a tire change, and the brake calipers get the pads moved around a bit: the bikes will sometimes throw some codes for a little while.
But they do (usually) clear out on their own: it just takes a little bit of riding... :thumbup:

Peter Aawen
05-13-2017, 05:48 PM
What size & Brand of back tire went on? And what do you have on the fronts? Bob's suggestion is a good one that may well resolve your issues, altho VSS/DPS problems are normally related to the front end/Power Steering....

Regardless, if it continues then I'd suspect that either they've broken a sensor during the tire removal/refit, or something has been left un-plugged & the Computers are reading that as a VSS/DPS Failure, & the fact that you've got a new (DPS?) module in there & still get the same message sorta supports that earlier suspicion! :dontknow:

Rainbolt
05-13-2017, 07:29 PM
Tech that changed tire rode it fine for about 15 miles no codes. Tried to ride it home 3 times. Get about halfway there (20 miles) n it throws the code on me. I assume they put the correct tire on the back as it did look the same as the one before. The DPS module was changed out when the recall was active on my year model although i did not own it at that time.

Rainbolt
05-13-2017, 07:34 PM
Front tires have not been touched. They claim it was one of the front wheel sensors. Replaced it drove it for a few miles n told me it was ready. I pick it up get it halfway home throws the code again n limp home mode...they claim they dont know why it keeps happening...

Peter Aawen
05-13-2017, 09:28 PM
What Brand and size tires are you running?? Info on fronts & rear may well enable you to get a helpful answer, but without that info we are really just making WAG's!! :dontknow:

That said, here's another WAG! Have you (or anyone) checked to make sure that your front tires are running pressures within about 1/2 a psi of each other?? Anything much more than 1/2 a psi can make the dia of the front tires different enough to eventually throw a code.... the one you mention being common! :sour:

Or another WAG?? Have they checked that the REAR abs sensor went back on with the washer in the correct position to ensure it's at the specified distance from the trigger disc?? If they put the washer on the wrong side of the sensor the tip may now be further away from the trigger disc resulting in an apparent dia difference in the front/rear specified relationship, resulting in a code or two - altho normally this one will throw one of the ABS or VSS failure codes.... :sour:

But it'd probably help us home in on potential problems if we knew what brand & size tires you're running?! ;)

Rainbolt
05-14-2017, 07:54 AM
Cant check on what brand tires are on it as it is in the shop.as for the back sensor, my husband noticed it was closer to the ring than the specs called for. I told the tech n he said that it was fine n not the wheel that was throwing the code in the diagnostics.

Marcy
05-15-2017, 06:27 PM
Any updates on the error codes? I'm interested to see what the dealer has to say......