PDA

View Full Version : Things you may not know about our soldiers and Vietnam.

Cruzr Joe
05-12-2017, 02:59 PM
A little history most people will never know

Interesting Veterans Statistics off the Vietnam Memorial Wall
There are 58,267 names now listed on that polished black wall, including those added in 2010.
The names are arranged in the order in which they were taken from us by date and within each date the names are alphabetized. It is hard to believe it is 61 years since the first casualty.
The first known casualty was Richard B. Fitzgibbon, of North Weymouth, Mass. Listed by the U.S. Department of Defense as having been killed on June 8, 1956. His name is listed on the Wall with that of his son, Marine Corps Lance Cpl. Richard B. Fitzgibbon III, who was killed on Sept. 7, 1965.
There are three sets of fathers and sons on the Wall.
39,996 on the Wall were just 22 or younger.
8,283 were just 19 years old.
The largest age group, 33,103 were 18 years old.
12 soldiers on the Wall were 17 years old.
5 soldiers on the Wall were 16 years old.
One soldier, PFC Dan Bullock was 15 years old.
997 soldiers were killed on their first day in Vietnam ..
1,448 soldiers were killed on their last day in Vietnam .
31 sets of brothers are on the Wall.
Thirty one sets of parents lost two of their sons.
54 soldiers attended Thomas Edison High School in Philadelphia. I wonder why so many from one school.
8 Women are on the Wall, Nursing the wounded.
244 soldiers were awarded the Medal of Honor during the Vietnam War; 153 of them are on the Wall.

Navvet
05-12-2017, 03:46 PM

Grandpot
05-12-2017, 03:55 PM
Thanks, Joe.

Rolling Thunder is having their annual protest ride in DC on the Sunday of Memorial Day weekend. It is open to everyone.

Information on this site: http://rollingthunderrun.com/index.html

wyliec
05-12-2017, 04:02 PM
I looked up the story behind Richard B. Fitzgibbon. It was interesting to say the least.

Chupaca
05-12-2017, 04:27 PM
Interesting figures..🤔 glad they keep such detailed records...had many stay with me and not as many come back...:pray:

Bob Denman
05-12-2017, 04:46 PM
Perhaps Thomas Edison High School in Philadelphia should have been offering a couple of courses in marksmanship, survival crafts, and martial arts? :dontknow:
Joe,
Thanks for posting this: We should never forget ANY of them! :pray::pray:

Joe T.
05-12-2017, 06:02 PM
I am a pretty easy going guy. Always ready to laugh or make a joke.

I am 65 years old - right in the middle of the group who served in Vietnam.

The first time I visited the WALL, it was all I could do to not cry. It is the most solemn place I have ever been. Incredible. Ever time I have visited since, same feeling.

Joe T.

kep-up
05-12-2017, 06:41 PM
If I could handle the traffic getting to the mall, I would love to play Amazing Grace on the Great Highland Bagpipe and in formal highland attire on the rise in front of the black wall near to the statue.

WA5VHU
05-12-2017, 09:28 PM
If I could handle the traffic getting to the mall, I would love to play Amazing Grace on the Great Highland Bagpipe and in formal highland attire on the rise in front of the black wall near to the statue.

When we go down there we drive to one of the outlying Metro stations and take the subway. No traffic that way.

Would love to hear you play there.

2dogs
05-12-2017, 09:35 PM
Sad, so very sad.

ARtraveler
05-12-2017, 10:01 PM
Thank you for posting this information. :bowdown::bowdown:

IdahoMtnSpyder
05-13-2017, 12:16 AM
I hope to go to DC and see the Wall on my home from Homecoming. I've never seen it. Have seen a couple of traveling replicas. Two high school classmates' names are on there. That was out of a graduating class of 28. I wonder what school has the highest percentage of names vs. number of students on there.

SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN
05-13-2017, 08:46 AM
i don't think todays military personnel understand the hardships of true military life.

BigGuy66
05-13-2017, 09:54 AM
I didn't serve in the military in Vietnam but I have friends that did. When I stood at the wall in DC I was overwhelmed with sadness at the loss of these men and women. Thank you to all Vetnam vets, and if no one has ever said it to you, WELCOME HOME!!
Jim

JerryB
05-13-2017, 10:42 PM
Hi BigGuy66,

Re: I didn't serve in the military in Vietnam

Neither did I; I was in from Dec '59 to Nov '63.

I seem to remember that Congress passed a resolution that the official beginning of the Vietnam War was from 1 Jan 1961 for purposes of benefits.

I did get the GI Bill while in college.

Jerry Baumchen

Jeriatric
05-13-2017, 11:07 PM

Vietnam War Casualties From Philadelphia, Pennsylvania (http://vietnam-casualties.mooseroots.com/d/b/Pennsylvania/Philadelphia)

cptjam
05-14-2017, 12:39 AM
i don't think todays military personnel understand the hardships of true military life.

my son (a soldier) has 5 combat tours. I don't think anyone can understand how long we have been at war, and the current hardships. I can't imagine how anyone can believe it is easy. One tour, he served in the Korengal valley. The deadliest place on earth. 450 gun battles in 365 days. There was a book "War" and a movie "Restripo" about it. I know many of the greatest generation served 4 years, but not all of that was in constant combat. I know many Vietnam vets. Never met one with 5 combat tours. Lots of combat, but not like today. My son is amazingly well adjusted for what he has been through. All war is hell. 14 years is a long time to be at war. I know the date exactly: my son conducted a parachute assault into enemy held territory, on his birthday. I believe many of our servicemen and women know and understand full well.

wyliec
05-14-2017, 07:01 AM
Hi BigGuy66,

Re: I didn't serve in the military in Vietnam

Neither did I; I was in from Dec '59 to Nov '63.

I seem to remember that Congress passed a resolution that the official beginning of the Vietnam War was from 1 Jan 1961 for purposes of benefits.

I did get the GI Bill while in college.

Jerry Baumchen

It was changed to Nov 1, 1955. The DOD changed it on Nov 6, 1998.

Commander
05-14-2017, 07:17 AM
Perhaps Thomas Edison High School in Philadelphia should have been offering a couple of courses in marksmanship, survival crafts, and martial arts? :dontknow:
Joe,
Thanks for posting this: We should never forget ANY of them! :pray::pray:
Bad post, Not funny!!!!!