PDA

View Full Version : What Am I Doing Wrong?

Mr. White
05-11-2017, 08:19 AM
I ride all types of roads, country, Interstate, etc. I ride the speed limit plus a little. Limit in west Texas is 80. I do not notice any vibration or maybe very little going up a hill. My tech checks and adjusts the belt with oil changes. In the twisties, I don't see the need for a sway bar. I put one on my 2011 RT-S but noticed little difference. I run 20 in front and 30 in the rear. On the Interstate, my Gold Wing is smoother at 75, not much but a smoother ride. Don't get me wrong, I really like Mr. Cognac but you just can't beat the Wing for torque. On my Wing I changed out the rear tires @ 40K and could have waited another 5K.

:spyder2:

Bob Denman
05-11-2017, 08:41 AM
:shocked: What are you doing wrong?

:D Not a damn thing! :clap: :2thumbs:

cuznjohn
05-11-2017, 08:55 AM
i used to run at 80 in a 55, wish we had a 8o MPH limit

Lew L
05-11-2017, 09:01 AM
Nevada just a day or two ago raised the speed limit to 80 MPH on a few stretches of Hwy 80 east of Reno. BUUUT---- it's been long known that many travel at 80 on 80.

Kaos

Pirate looks at --
05-11-2017, 09:05 AM
Don't drive 80 on 50 through Nevada I have had two speeding tickets out there in the middle of BFE both from cops traveling the other direction. :banghead::banghead:

Pirate looks at --
05-11-2017, 09:08 AM
Mr. Cognac,

I am not sure what the question is here. It appears to be more of a statement. "My Wing is a smoother ride and 80 mph." They are different rides and they are going to be different. You are doing nothing wrong!

AY4B
05-11-2017, 09:27 AM
Your Wing has 2 rear tires and a drive shaft with a six cylinder engine. It will be a smoother ride going 80 down the main highway but ill bet when you want to ryde the wicked three Sisters, you will take Mr Cognac.

Bob Denman
05-11-2017, 09:30 AM

Ex-Rocket
05-11-2017, 09:44 AM
I too don't recognize your question, other than the wing is smoother and more torque. One is shaft drive and the other belt drive. Two completely different bikes. Maybe a belt tensioner is in your future or maybe put some good quality car tires on your Spyder. Happy trails no matter which bike you decide to ride.

PaladinLV
05-11-2017, 09:51 AM
Is the question hidden in message? Do I need my Captain Midnight decoder ring?

AJ

I ride all types of roads, country, Interstate, etc. I ride the speed limit plus a little. Limit in west Texas is 80. I do not notice any vibration or maybe very little going up a hill. My tech checks and adjusts the belt with oil changes. In the twisties, I don't see the need for a sway bar. I put one on my 2011 RT-S but noticed little difference. I run 20 in front and 30 in the rear. On the Interstate, my Gold Wing is smoother at 75, not much but a smoother ride. Don't get me wrong, I really like Mr. Cognac but you just can't beat the Wing for torque. On my Wing I changed out the rear tires @ 40K and could have waited another 5K.

Chupaca
05-11-2017, 09:54 AM
Nice observation but have to agree on where the question might be. Smoothness between a shaft and belt will always be different. Looks like you do well and the two rydes are pretty close. Granted the difference between a 1600 or larger and a 1330 would also be noticeable...:thumbup:

Arion
05-11-2017, 10:15 AM
i used to run at 80 in a 55, wish we had a 8o MPH limit

Hah. You're on the wrong side of the Mississippi. In fact, in Arizona you can legally cruise at 85 (there's not much to hit out there). ;)

ARtraveler
05-11-2017, 11:15 AM
Continue to enjoy the best of both worlds. And...I wish the :ani29: had a six cylinder GW type of engine. Because of the smoothness...and...because I like to speculate. :thumbup:

Bob Denman
05-11-2017, 11:18 AM
:D I've found that the triple has ample power, and is smooth enough for me! :thumbup:

ARtraveler
05-11-2017, 11:26 AM
:D I've found that the triple has ample power, and is smooth enough for me! :thumbup:

:agree: it does. But...I can dream, can't I? Can't get an Indian.... So little time, so few motorcycles in my garage. :roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:

Bob Denman
05-11-2017, 11:32 AM
"A man's reach should exceed his grasp..."*** :thumbup:

*** Robert Browning

Mr. White
05-11-2017, 12:01 PM
No question here, just my statement that I don't seem to have a Spyder vib and that I love my old Motor Trike too. ('02 Wing, '05 MT kit) I don't get out of Texas any more and was somewhat surprised at the increased speed limits in various states. I generally cruse at 75 in the 80 mph limits, always in the right lane. The rednecks in the left lane are 80++.

2dogs
05-11-2017, 01:31 PM
Oh yes, the "Wing," the hallmark no others can reach. Never owned one but it's reputation is remarkable.

Bob Denman
05-11-2017, 01:42 PM
'Wings are GREAT horizon-chasers... :thumbup:

If that's what you're looking for!

kep-up
05-11-2017, 06:24 PM
[QUOTE=Mr. Cognac;1256497]No question here, just my statement that I don't seem to have a Spyder vib and that I love my old Motor Trike too. ('02 Wing, '05 MT kit) I don't get out of Texas any more and was somewhat surprised at the increased speed limits in various states. I generally cruse at 75 in the 80 mph limits, always in the right lane. The rednecks in the left lane are 80++.

Not to be a smarta**, but why in the world would you cruise at 5mph less than the limit? IMHO, you become a traffic hazard to all the motorists who are traveling at the legal limit. :dontknow:

ARtraveler
05-11-2017, 07:09 PM
[QUOTE=Mr. Cognac;1256497]No question here, just my statement that I don't seem to have a Spyder vib and that I love my old Motor Trike too. ('02 Wing, '05 MT kit) I don't get out of Texas any more and was somewhat surprised at the increased speed limits in various states. I generally cruse at 75 in the 80 mph limits, always in the right lane. The rednecks in the left lane are 80++.

Not to be a smarta**, but why in the world would you cruise at 5mph less than the limit? IMHO, you become a traffic hazard to all the motorists who are traveling at the legal limit. :dontknow:

I guess you would have a problem with me also. I drive about 3mph above the posted limit--most of the time. I do the slow lane if there is a choice. And yes...they go by me like I am standing still. On one lanes, I occasionally pull over to let others that want to drive faster go by.

Mr. White
05-11-2017, 07:49 PM

I run 75 in the 80 mph limit. It is the sweet spot of my scoot. Put on your turn signal and pass me. If the limit was 85, I would still go 75.....in the right lane. The left lane is open for passing.

Bob Denman
05-12-2017, 07:05 AM
:agree: Unless his left thumb is broken, and he can't put on his turnsignal to pass anyone! :D

Mr. White
05-12-2017, 07:20 AM
:agree: Unless his left thumb is broken, and he can't put on his turnsignal to pass anyone! :D

:clap:

pegasus1300
05-15-2017, 09:55 AM

I think you are spot on in your assessment George. I sold my Goldwing Trike to buy my Spyder. The Goldwing was smother at any speed. And I would have been very disappointed if it weren't. It was stone axe reliable and very comfortable,but it never spoke to me. The Spyder put the fun back into riding again. 2 or 3 cylinders will never be as smooth as 6 and even 1330 will not be as strong as 1800. Kendas will never ride or return milage like a car tire on the back of your wing. But for me the trade off in fun factor for the Spyder more then compensates. I could not own both,but you seem to be able to do that so you get to enjoy what I consider to be the best of the trike worlds,Goldwing and Spyder. I wish you lots more years of trying to decide which you like best and under what circumstances.

ThreeWheels
05-15-2017, 01:31 PM

What are you doing wrong ??
You might want to consider changing your shirt once in a while, just as a consideration to those downwind.
Other than that, I can't think of anything you're doing wrong. Keep on Truckin' !!!!

ThreeWheels
05-15-2017, 01:33 PM
"A man's reach should exceed his grasp..."*** :thumbup:

*** Robert Browning

There's a dirty joke in there someplace.
There's just GOTTA be !

Bob Denman
05-15-2017, 01:44 PM
:D There might be... but (this time!) I'm not looking for it! :thumbup:

Samson
05-15-2017, 05:24 PM
If that's all you have to worry about then your doing pretty darn good. Whats the secret??

Mr. White
05-15-2017, 09:53 PM
Your Wing has 2 rear tires and a drive shaft with a six cylinder engine. It will be a smoother ride going 80 down the main highway but ill bet when you want to ryde the wicked three Sisters, you will take Mr Cognac.

Ha, in fact my group, the Hill Country Road Riders, are scheduled to eat early and head out to Leakey, Tx. We will stop at the Frio Canyon Motorcycle Stop for PR and then do 335 and 336 having already done 337 on the way from Medina, TX. I will probably take my Wing. With the on board compressor on the Motor Trike kit I can stiffen the suspension for the curves. Works for me. Some ask why or how I keep both my '02 Wing and Spyder. I love the Wing and could not get much for it in a sale or trade so I keep it. It runs good and a fun ride as is Mr. Cognac.

For those who have not ridden the Three Sisters roads with their 10 mph limit curve signs is because Texas does not make 5 mph signs. When you leave Medina on Hwy 337 the first sign you see says to "ride carefully, 13 motorcyclists have died on this road".

Everyone will get a chance to ride these roads this October 19-21 at the Spyders in the Hills Rally to be held in Kerrville, TX. Come on down.

:yes: