PDA

View Full Version : ATGATT stories

Rogue Hawk
05-08-2017, 03:52 PM
You have heard of Col. North's "War Stories". Here are some people in our war

I know how this guy feels. Gear is such a hassle.
Here http://www.youmustbetrippin.com/travel-tips/all_the_gear_all_the_time_put/

This guy bought a Snell certified helmet a few months before this crash that sent him 30 feet in the air...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tW7QsonSouk

DGoebel
05-08-2017, 05:10 PM
I would like to hear from any Spyder Riders about their ATGATT stories, or stories from folks who weren't wearing ATGATT and learned why they should have. I rode Mini-bikes, 125 class through open class MX, crotch rocket cafe bikes, and street cruisers before getting my Spyder and was never disappointed because I had ATG. I can remember riding my TM125 into a power slide into a tree with tennis shoes on once, didn't walk right for a week, and once trying a buddy's brand new YZ460 in my USAF duty uniform pants, boots, and t-shirt. I got out of the hospitals (yes plural) about 6 weeks later. But my real moment of convincing was responding to a street racer accident where his knee, fibula, and ankle were all exposed to open air and lots of gravel in there.. MAN did that guy swear while they picked out the gravel..... NUFF Said.
The two wheeler ATGATT stories will be endless and eternal, ANYONE have any Spyder ones?

Bob Denman
05-08-2017, 05:23 PM
I have an ATGATT story from 1980, that points to the importance of using safety gear... :thumbup:
But it's from a "Dirt-Bike meets Buick" story; can it be used in here? :dontknow:

crna59
05-08-2017, 09:12 PM
I am a MSF Instructor here in WA and almost lost my life last year. After teaching a class, I was on the way home and travelling in the right lane of a 3-lane highway. I was approaching an intersection and a Toyota pick-up in the left turn lane, with his left turn blinker flashing.... decided to make a RIGHT TURN and broad-sided me as I was coming through the intersection. I was wearing ATG and didn't receive a single scratch. BUT.... I had 6 displaced broken ribs, punctured lung, pneumo/hemo thorax and a concussion so bad, that I had 2 detached retinas. Was wearing a Shoei Neotec and Hi-viz Jacket/Pants from Tourmaster with AlpineStars boots/gloves. Totaled my bike ( Yamaha FJR1300). Took about 4 months to heal and get back on the bike.
This is a teachable moment in my class where I show the students the gear that saved my life. I remember when I was young/dumb, so many times I'd hop on my crotch rocket, just wearing shorts and t-shirt.
I am now driving a BMW GS along with the Spyder RT-S.

Spyder_Cowgirl
05-09-2017, 09:18 AM
The year was 1993 and I was riding a custom built BMW K75LT. At the time BMW did not offer a touring model in the K75 and the K100LT was too much for me. So, our dealer in Santa Cruz CA custom built the bike using K100 parts (faring, saddle bags, small tote box); it was color matched to my husbands K100LT (a nice diamond flake brown). Anyway, this is the bike that I rode to Texas on when we moved in 1990 and was my daily commuter ... it had a shade over 70K on it at the time of my accident.

Classic MC accident, a driver turned left in front of me ... and this was AFTER I made eye contact with her! It was a white Toyota Camry and I contacted the center of the front end. Had been told, by many an experienced rider to "get away" from the bike if I ever went down. So, once I realized she was going to hit me, I launched myself off the bike ... landed on my back on the hood of the car, with heal of my left boot cracking the windshield. Rolled off the hood onto the ground and the bike fell within reach, just above the left side of my head. "I didn't see you," she says ... to which I screamed "Do you see me now?!"

I had full leathers on, chaps, jacket, gloves, and a full face / modular helmet. Other than some badly bruised knees (where they hit the handle bars as I came off), and an irritated sciatic nerve on the left side (back zipper on the jacket was smashed into it) ... I basically walked away. I was VERY sore for several weeks and the bike was a total loss. To this day, I am thankful for the advice to "get away" from the bike -- if I had stayed with it I am sure my injuries would have been MUCH worse. Hit the handle bars so hard, the top of the triple clamp was busted and the entire front end was pushed clear to the engine. About the only thing worth a darn was the engine .. it still ran just fine and I did sell the wrecked bike to someone (mostly for the engine).

So, I am a firm believer in ATTGAT .... and the best .... Ann

Rogue Hawk
05-09-2017, 10:39 AM
I would like to hear from any Spyder Riders about their ATGATT stories, or stories from folks who weren't wearing ATGATT and learned why they should have. I rode Mini-bikes, 125 class through open class MX, crotch rocket cafe bikes, and street cruisers before getting my Spyder and was never disappointed because I had ATG. I can remember riding my TM125 into a power slide into a tree with tennis shoes on once, didn't walk right for a week, and once trying a buddy's brand new YZ460 in my USAF duty uniform pants, boots, and t-shirt. I got out of the hospitals (yes plural) about 6 weeks later. But my real moment of convincing was responding to a street racer accident where his knee, fibula, and ankle were all exposed to open air and lots of gravel in there.. MAN did that guy swear while they picked out the gravel..... NUFF Said.
The two wheeler ATGATT stories will be endless and eternal, ANYONE have any Spyder ones?

There are a lot of post crash analysis videos on you tube like this one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOq-I6sLgYA

Rogue Hawk
05-09-2017, 10:41 AM
I had 6 displaced broken ribs, punctured lung, pneumo/hemo thorax and a concussion so bad, that I had 2 detached retinas. .

This is why I bought an air bag vest

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ui1QFNp9G8U

crna59
05-09-2017, 11:35 AM
This is why I bought an air bag vest

I just bought the Helite Air Bag jacket. Wish I would have been wearing it during the crash!!

SpyderSteveFL
05-09-2017, 01:03 PM
If you just want the 'meat' skip to third paragraph, read whole thing for background.

I've never posted this anywhere because, well, its almost embarassing but since it illustrates certain things I will share in hopes it may help someone else. So first, unlike many I never rode 2 wheelers all my life. I was kind of a stunt rider on bicycles when I was a kid but that's it. Was always interested but between living in a highly populated area with crazy drivers and working as a civilian volunteer with FD and PD with a city radio listening to calls of cars vs motorcycle at least weekly, plus friends that have died in crashes, my wife pretty much wouldn't ever let me get a bike. Been following Spyders for a few years and finally convinced her how fun they would be and how they are 'safer' than a 2 wheeler. Yes, it's still an open motorcycle with all those dangers, but she wouldn't have to worry about falling over at lights, corners, sand, water, etc. It was a compromise she was willing to make to have some fun. Plus, we're big believers in 'When it's your time, its your time" If we're meant to wreck then thats whats in the cards regardless.

We did say ATGATT from the start, that was one of our agreements. Full helmet for absolute sure, Jacket, long pants and 'boots'. So at 54 years old I went out and got our first motorcycle - Spyder RT. I rode alone for a few weeks just learning and getting used to things. Then she would come out on short little trips.

Ok, so now a few months into ownership we were out on a dinner ride with some friends. We got on bikes to leave (and the rest of this is a bit fuzzy as it happened so fast) and while we were leaving the parking lot we went around a left turn, probably only around 15 mph. But that may have been a bit too fast and I saw a parked car on right side that I think I tried to avoid so I probably overcorrected and before I know it the bike was probably 75 degrees pitched to the right - enough to toss me off (there are scrapes on the bottom of saddle bag) then the bike must have swung back the other way and threw wife off the back. I see her slide around 10 feet so I jump up to attend to her (was my CERT training I guess). Long story short we were a bit banged up, my arm was black and blue for a while and back/hip was sore and shoulder was hurting for almost a month (did get MRI and showed nothing abnormal). Wife cut her lip as she banged the chin bar of the helmet on the ground and also had a small cut on hip. So... as far as ATGATT... it really reinforced why we do it, I mean who the hell would think you can have a low speed accident in a parking lot? Her hemet - FULL FACE (well, modular - Shoei Neotec) saved her from possibly a broken jaw and limited it to bloody lip. My jacket I'm pretty sure have me from a broken or severely hurt elbow, etc. We will never ride without ATGATT because you never know and we look at this incident as a reminder.

Now, let's not even talk about why - who knows, admittedly probably driver error totally not realizing how top-heavy/tipsy the RT can be in stock config with a passenger and was a bit too aggressive - but hey, proves Sh|t happens. I'd like to think I learned alot since then and also swapped out sway bar and shocks which I think make a big difference as well.

Moral of the story... 1. Don't ever think the Spyder is totally safe and can't fall over - at least enough to toss you off (I'm told nanny doesn't even kick in until around 15mph so let me tell ya, the thing can tip badly at low speed under right conditions) and 2. Please always wear gear - you may think it can't and won't ever happen to you, and it may be uncomfortable (believe me, I know in 90 degree plus weather with high humidity) but god forbid you ever need it you want to know you are protected. If wifes helmet was just the skull or even just a flimsy shield, and not full face, it would have been alot worse. And yes, while I started by saying we believe if it's meant to be... you still want to take best precautions you can.

So we're 100% ATGATT and that's the story - yea, tipping Spyder over in parking lot - it can happen - hopefully not to anyone else. Ride safe and wear ATGATT.

Rogue Hawk
05-10-2017, 10:05 AM
I just bought the Helite Air Bag jacket. Wish I would have been wearing it during the crash!!

That was some bad luck. I like the vest because I can wear it with any jacket. Also, Dainese has started offering there street air bag in the US. It is high tech, so its expensive. https://www.revzilla.com/dainese-jackets#v2-page=1&page_size=96&sort=price_high&tab=all&implicit_facets%5B%5D=473&implicit_facets%5B%5D=234

DGoebel
05-10-2017, 10:16 AM
Thanks SpyderSteveFL, you're the first SPYDER ATGATT story that I've read, and it's just the thing that new Spyder riders should know. I think too many think they're not capable of having a self induced injury possible SPYDER accident. Had you been in chillin' in sandals and shorts and no safety gear, your wife's injuries would have likely been far more painful coulda been a major road rash for both of you, bruises are better.

I'm guilty of riding to the corner market or around the block warming up the oil without ANY gear, but the exact same thing could happen to me on just those "little" rides.

Maybe your story should be put in the Do's and Don'ts as an added emphasis on safety.

Road-Kill
05-10-2017, 10:19 AM
I know I'll catch some flak for this but.....

Wear a helmet and a "somewhat" armored jacket.
Don't drink and ride.
Forget these "techy" airbag inflatables.
Assume EVERYONE does not see you.
Remain visible.
Give the right of way even if you have the right of way.
Don't ride over steel plates in the rain.
Only ride as fast as you can brake.
Never ride exhausted.
Never be in a hurry.
Always ride with an escape plan.

I could go on but this info comes from taking/investigating HUNDREDS of accidents.

DGoebel
05-10-2017, 10:27 AM

(I agree with all of this)

Don't ride over steel plates in the rain.

(Please explain, this is something I've not seen or heard of yet
And I agree with all that followed as well, all good points.)

Please give some more examples of this (I've been riding from Michigan to Oklahoma, California, and now Minnesota to Missouri and can't ever recall any steel plates).

Tombstone Sue
05-10-2017, 10:41 AM
You must not ever ride in construction zones. Almost everyone of them has steel plates where they are working around utilities and the such. They are usually 4x8 ft and often several layed next to each other. Slicker than ice when wet. Also almost all of the south west has cattle guards. Usually made from railroad track 4 to 6 feet across and across the whole road. Again slicker than ice when wet and if you do not hit them straight on you risk sliding and hitting the pavement at an angel and over you go.

https://www.google.com/search?newwindow=1&hl=en&authuser=0&site=imghp&tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=1266&bih=554&q=construction+steel+plates&oq=construction+steel+plates&gs_l=img.3...1532.13242.0.13969.26.13.0.13.13.0.15 9.1470.0j12.12.0....0...1ac.1.64.img..1.19.1520.0. .0j35i39k1.LwIsBOr_Ed0

https://www.google.com/search?newwindow=1&hl=en&authuser=0&site=imghp&tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=1266&bih=554&q=cattle+guard&oq=cattle+guard&gs_l=img.3..0l10.1324.5275.0.6846.13.10.0.3.3.0.14 1.1056.0j9.9.0....0...1ac.1.64.img..1.12.1077.0..3 5i39k1.nKg2jRUOV_8

DGoebel
05-10-2017, 11:38 AM
Sue, I gotta admit, I've ridden all over California, SF to the southern border crossings, through Nevada, Arizona, New Mexico, Texas, and Oklahoma (was stationed in S Cal and OK) and don't think I ever went anywhere that I had to ride over a cattle guard on the bike, pretty much stuck to primary roads.
But Now that I'm on a Spyder only, I don't see where cattle guards, when crossed at a reasonable speed, or the metal plates (Gosh I drive my truck over them without a thought) would be an issue ON A SPYDER driving at a reasonable speed. If the metal plates are down, then I must be in a construction area, if I'm in a construction area, I must be driving at a reasonable pace and I'm on THREE wheels (er, tires).
So I get the warnings for Two wheeled bikes and the possibility of a side slip and smack on two wheels, I thought we were talking about Spyders and three wheels....:banghead:

PS. I live and ride (now) in Minnesota where our two seasons are Winter (Mad PMS) and Construction (some would call that our riding season)

TicketBait
05-10-2017, 12:46 PM
Here is my story that I posted several years ago when I was broadsided.

Yes, this particular time I did have All gear on. In California you have to

wear a helmet. This was a no brainer, meaning if I had not had the helmet

on, I would not have a brain today. Although some might argue, I still don't

while others would say the accident knocked some sense into me.:D

"click: http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?34830-Broadsided

Post # 20 in the above link has one more photo, should have taken more, went back next

day and took photos of the blind intersection. Security guards that observed the

accident no longer want to be witnesses. :(

If this happens again, next time I will go to hospital to get checked out. Not

because I have any lingering issues, just you never know, I have lost my mauxchoness i

n my later years. And yes I will retain an attorney, because even though I was

reimbursed, however the other insurance company was a major pain.

:trike::riding:

PS: had to add the video of when I got my spyder back after more than 12K in damage.:yes:

Has run better ever since :clickpic:

https://youtu.be/je6g_4ycVpI

Road-Kill
05-10-2017, 01:58 PM
Sue, I gotta admit, I've ridden all over California, SF to the southern border crossings, through Nevada, Arizona, New Mexico, Texas, and Oklahoma (was stationed in S Cal and OK) and don't think I ever went anywhere that I had to ride over a cattle guard on the bike, pretty much stuck to primary roads.
But Now that I'm on a Spyder only, I don't see where cattle guards, when crossed at a reasonable speed, or the metal plates (Gosh I drive my truck over them without a thought) would be an issue ON A SPYDER driving at a reasonable speed. If the metal plates are down, then I must be in a construction area, if I'm in a construction area, I must be driving at a reasonable pace and I'm on THREE wheels (er, tires).
So I get the warnings for Two wheeled bikes and the possibility of a side slip and smack on two wheels, I thought we were talking about Spyders and three wheels....:banghead:

PS. I live and ride (now) in Minnesota where our two seasons are Winter (Mad PMS) and Construction (some would call that our riding season)

One thing nice about a trike is STABILITY. Metal plates and other slick surfaces are still dangerous but much less then the 2-wheel buggers.

Mazo EMS2
05-10-2017, 02:29 PM
Got run off the road by a semi in a blind, sharp corner many years ago. He was waaaay over the center line and left me no options other than the ditch, which was also a 10 drop off down the bank. I went end over end. My helmet was in real bad shape. Probably would have done some major facial damage and other head injuries had I not been wearing my helmet. That was on a 2 wheeler. Now that I have 3 wheels under me, I tend to be a bit more lax as far as jacket and gloves on warmer days, but I will never ride without the helmet.

MercerLake
05-10-2017, 03:13 PM
My story is not horrific, but without the gear to protect me it could have been. My helmets have numerous chips in the Gel Coat from small rocks thrown by adjacent vehicles. One helmet received a strike from a large stone thrown from the duals of large dump truck, fractured the shell of the helmet.:yikes: Summer times I get bee/wasp strikes on my gloves and jacket. All of this tells me that good gear is a great idea, well worth every dollar spent. Don't leave home without it!:yes:

blitzkreig
05-10-2017, 05:53 PM
I wouldn't even think of traveling by motorcycle without all the gear. Even to the corner store. That means full boots and gloves no matter the temperature. I have ridden for over 50 years and haven't died of heat stroke yet!

But I am rather lax about it all while I am using my Spyder. I'm not sure why... Maybe it is the fact I have never had a personal scare on a trike that I treat it more like riding in a car. I have ridden without full boots ... and I confess that I have ridden without gloves ... with only a leather jacket and helmet rather than full armor like on my bikes.

Am I crazy to tempt fate like that ... ?