PDA

View Full Version : My Spyder Impressions

dpetrick
05-07-2017, 08:18 PM
I have looked at Spyders several times over the years. Late last fall I was checking a dealer site and saw that they had a 2009 RS SE5, with just over 20,000 miles, at a very reasonable price. We drove over to check it out and take a test ride. It ran very well, but did need some work to remove a stereo system the PO had installed rather poorly. A couple holes in the topbox, after removing the speakers, and a couple up front. Was an easy fix. The dealer had put in a new clutch and belt and brakes, which the PO paid for. He had all this work done and then traded in for a new Harley. The CanAm dealer is part of a larger dealer network of dealerships and they have a Harley dealership right next to the CanAm location. There were lots of wires for the system and I was able to remove most of them. The rest were removed by the dealer when I had them install battery tender leads. A bit of clean up and some paint and it looks great. I only put a couple hundred miles on it before winter. First ride was about 90 miles , from the dealer to home. About 40 degrees and occasional light rain. Stayed dry and warm OK.
Took me a while to get the hang of the cornering and the way it steered. Now I have put about 2000 miles on it and can say that it corners very well. The only time it is twitchy in corners is with a strong gusty crosswind. But not much different than my Kawasaki Nomad.
It tracks very true and I have gotten used to the way it feels on crowned roads. My wife has ridden more miles with me, on the Spyder, so far this summer, than in the past three on the Nomad. Only thing she wants is a set of armrests, which I have not been able to find.
My average fuel economy is 28mpg. I cruise at 5000 rpm, which means I am usually in 4th at about 60 mph. So far it has been a great ride and I am enjoying it a great deal, especially riding two up. It does have a bit of vibration at some speeds and I will be needing a new rear tire soon, so at that time I will have them balance all the wheels. I am looking forward to many miles on this Spyder, and have to say this forum has been a great help in adjusting to the way the Spyder rides.

Sarge707
05-07-2017, 08:27 PM
Enjoy!! I Traded in my 09 GS SE5 with 35,000 Miles and it still ran great!!! But the F3 handles even better with little maintenance.
The GS will always have a fond place in my heart!!!

JerryB
05-07-2017, 09:24 PM
Hi dpetrick,

Welcome to the craziness.

Re: Only thing she wants is a set of armrests, which I have not been able to find.

Contact MotorcycleDave ( a sponsor here, on the HOME page ); he has armrests on his '08.

He might be able to give you a lead on where to buy them or send you some photos for a DIY project.

Best of luck,

Jerry Baumchen

Motorcycledave
05-07-2017, 09:48 PM
ISCI makes arm rests for the RS and ST they are a sponcer here

I have looked at Spyders several times over the years. Late last fall I was checking a dealer site and saw that they had a 2009 RS SE5, with just over 20,000 miles, at a very reasonable price. We drove over to check it out and take a test ride. It ran very well, but did need some work to remove a stereo system the PO had installed rather poorly. A couple holes in the topbox, after removing the speakers, and a couple up front. Was an easy fix. The dealer had put in a new clutch and belt and brakes, which the PO paid for. He had all this work done and then traded in for a new Harley. The CanAm dealer is part of a larger dealer network of dealerships and they have a Harley dealership right next to the CanAm location. There were lots of wires for the system and I was able to remove most of them. The rest were removed by the dealer when I had them install battery tender leads. A bit of clean up and some paint and it looks great. I only put a couple hundred miles on it before winter. First ride was about 90 miles , from the dealer to home. About 40 degrees and occasional light rain. Stayed dry and warm OK.
Took me a while to get the hang of the cornering and the way it steered. Now I have put about 2000 miles on it and can say that it corners very well. The only time it is twitchy in corners is with a strong gusty crosswind. But not much different than my Kawasaki Nomad.
It tracks very true and I have gotten used to the way it feels on crowned roads. My wife has ridden more miles with me, on the Spyder, so far this summer, than in the past three on the Nomad. Only thing she wants is a set of armrests, which I have not been able to find.
My average fuel economy is 28mpg. I cruise at 5000 rpm, which means I am usually in 4th at about 60 mph. So far it has been a great ride and I am enjoying it a great deal, especially riding two up. It does have a bit of vibration at some speeds and I will be needing a new rear tire soon, so at that time I will have them balance all the wheels. I am looking forward to many miles on this Spyder, and have to say this forum has been a great help in adjusting to the way the Spyder rides.

Slowpoke387
05-07-2017, 09:56 PM
Also a new Spyder owner coming from motorcycles. I noticed you mentioned handling on crowned roads. What have you noticed? Wondering if its similar to the constant pulling ive been experiencing around here.
And congrats on the new toy.

PistonBlown
05-08-2017, 06:06 AM
It does have a bit of vibration at some speeds and I will be needing a new rear tire soon, so at that time I will have them balance all the wheels.

The vibration at certain speeds may be from the belt as that's quite common with these. I've put up with it on mine up until now as it doesn't bother me that much but have just got myself ones of SmoothSpyders (site sponsor) belt tensioners which a number of riders have recommended in the past. Haven't fitted it yet but once I have I'll post an update.

PrairieSpyder
05-08-2017, 08:16 AM
:congrats: on your new (to you) RS. I always enjoy reading people's reports of their newest toy.

dpetrick
05-08-2017, 08:39 AM
ISCI no longer has arm rests for this so I am looking for another source, or if someone has a set they want to sell.

dpetrick
05-08-2017, 08:43 AM
In answer to the question about crowned roads. It does pull to one side on these roads, just fine on flat. Bike leans to the low side of the crown and can have a weird feeling as I cross the crown, as the bike shifts under me as one front wheel is higher than the other for a bit.

Chupaca
05-08-2017, 09:24 AM
congrats on your new ryde. looks like you got her set up to your liking and are now enjoying the amazing ryde these machines have. As stated the vibrations are generally from the belt but there are also some harmonic vibrations you may not get rid of. congrats...:2thumbs: