PDA

View Full Version : On the Fence More Than Ever About Purchasing a Spyder....

newbert
05-07-2017, 10:11 AM
Although I've taken a test-ride (which I enjoyed), the more I read many of the threads here the more doubts enter my mind as to whether to get a Spyder. No - I'm not being a troll. It's just that although I have the finances for it, it would still be a significant investment, and I don't want to end up regretting it.

The positives about the Spyder don't need to be listed here, since it's clear that you all enjoy your Spyders.

But among the concerns I have are:

1. Service, service, service: I am not mechanically inclined at all, so would have to really depend on the dealer for all servicing. Unlike with a car or even a two-wheeler, where I have a choice of 3rd party/after market places to go for service, that doesn't appear to be a realistic option for a Spyder. And I only have two dealers within reasonable distance from me (one of which can't even manage to return a phone call).

2. Purchasing at a Good Price: Again, because I have only one responsive dealer in my area, how do I negotiate for a good purchase price? Sure, there's online competition, but if I purchase online to get significant savings, I'm back at....

3. Service, service, service again. How would the local dealer feel about servicing a unit bought elsewhere after he took the time to give me a test-ride or two?

4. Laser Alignments, Sway Bars etc: There are so many threads here that recommend both a laser alignment and/or a 3rd party sway bar. How do you get those done if your dealer doesn't do laser alignments? Not to mention that I'm not sure how he'd feel about installing after-market parts.

I don't live near a big city, and have few choices in dealers with reasonable distance. Another fact of life here is that the riding season is realistically only six or seven months long. (I won't ride it in winter.) However, there are so many back roads with little traffic around here that I'm sure that the Spyder would be lots of fun. I really want a Spyder, but am so torn because of the above concerns. My decision would probably be easier if it was possible to lease a Spyder. That way I'd be more inclined to take a chance on it. But I haven't seen that option anywhere.

So, that's my thought process in a nutshell. Any thoughts on my dilemma would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Bob Denman
05-07-2017, 10:41 AM
nojoke Don't agonize over it: either you'll end up deciding that you want one... or you won't! :shocked:

:D But guess what??

The Sun will still rise; regardless of what you decide. :thumbup:

You've been asking a lot of good questions, and that's the smart thing to do. :clap:
But the Ball ends up in your court, and we can't tell you what will be right for you.
Only you know that answer!

Chupaca
05-07-2017, 10:53 AM
:agree: Just remember that this is not where you will find all the happy campers that are out there with no issues and enjoying their rydes. We try to help those with issues be it self inflicted or manufacturer's. Sadly you are looking at things negatively with doubts and it is making it hard for you. You should see the sites for other vehicles and you may find we are far better than most. In the end it is always buyer choice...good luck but feel we will see you out there...:thumbup:

kentompkins
05-07-2017, 11:05 AM
First of all, You are correct in saying that service is very important. That's why choosing reliable dealer is so important. Most of us have found that Spyders having problems when recently purchased are Spyders that were not set up right at the dealer. That is crucial and it is worth driving far when you purchase one to get a thorough setup.

Many of us ride far to get our Spyders serviced. Remember that if the Spyder is set up right you are unlikely to be returning to the dealer -- except for the first, required service. From then on, going to the dealer will probably be a sometime thing.

Second, there are 10,000 plus members of this site and on any day only a few have problems. You have to keep negative comments in perspective.

Third, I can't comment on purchase negotiation. Spyder dealers want to sell bikes like car dealers want to sell cars. So negotiate and negotiate. There are all kinds of really excellent dealers on the east coast. Why not find one that has a great reputation (ask about it here) and has the bike you want. Then drive to the dealer and ride the bike home. Many others have crossed much of the US to buy their Spyders. I've found that dealers want to do
service on Spyders. It never made any difference to my dealer that I purchased my Spyder elsewhere.

Hold off on the additions (with perhaps one exception = laser alignment) until you've had the bike for, say, a year. After a year of riding you will know exactly what you want to add. You will need to learn to ride your Spyder and then you will be so pleased with it you won't want to have it unavailable while someone adds the latest farkle. Once again, my dealer will install anything I bring to him.

I have had three Spyders starting with a 2008 to my present 2014 which is pretty much stock. Last summer I put 9000 miles on it in a trip to the west coast states. It ran flawlessly.

Just my 2 cents.

ken tompkins

1. Service, service, service: I am not mechanically inclined at all, so would have to really depend on the dealer for all servicing. Unlike with a car or even a two-wheeler, where I have a choice of 3rd party/after market places to go for service, that doesn't appear to be a realistic option for a Spyder. And I only have two dealers within reasonable distance from me (one of which can't even manage to return a phone call).

2. Purchasing at a Good Price: Again, because I have only one responsive dealer in my area, how do I negotiate for a good purchase price? Sure, there's online competition, but if I purchase online to get significant savings, I'm back at....

3. Service, service, service again. How would the local dealer feel about servicing a unit bought elsewhere after he took the time to give me a test-ride or two?

4. Laser Alignments, Sway Bars etc: There are so many threads here that recommend both a laser alignment and/or a 3rd party sway bar. How do you get those done if your dealer doesn't do laser alignments? Not to mention that I'm not sure how he'd feel about installing after-market parts.

Bob Denman
05-07-2017, 11:05 AM
It all comes down to this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oF2UrYSDb3k

Nobody wants to you buy a bike of ANY type, and then have it sit almost unused... nojoke

Bfromla
05-07-2017, 11:06 AM
:2thumbs::firstplace: For asking & some well founded concerns with any machinenojoke
Now the sway bar has its perks but I'm still using OEM & am a daily rider but very laid back relaxed no rush (slow lane) kind of guy:popcorn::coffee: The alignment (recommended maybe 1 a year) can also be done at various events like Spyderfest & Spyderquest (in your area)as well as installs if you can make it to either & set appointment for ensure fast service. Dealers & service , when you find a good dealer & tech STAY with them! :lecturef_smilie: Few too many have had questionable results from all over:dontknow: Hope this helps &:welcome:

KX5062
05-07-2017, 11:12 AM
As to the sway bar, laser alignment, etc. Much of that is more fine tuning than a necessity, especially if you get the newer models. BRP has made big strides in the design and execution of these bikes. By most accounts the front ends are now coming from the factory well aligned and the factory sway bar is just fine as it is, like I said, fine tuning only.

As to servicing, you have a really good point. A Spyder is a different kind of beast, but not really. It really is just a big quad missing a rear wheel. If you can find a good independent motorcycle mechanic/shop, they can do much of the work that might need to be done. The only thing they can't really do is the computer (BUDS) related stuff.

Now, purchasing is a something you can only decide. Fly/ride, etc is always an option and is commonly done in the motorcycle world.

GOZFST
05-07-2017, 11:43 AM
Go to most any brand specific forum and you'll find the people who are unhappy with their purchase. No one here can make that choice for you, a good dealer is key if you can't do some of the maintenance yourself. As far as add on's like was previously stated ride it for a while and see if you need (or want) them. My 08 GS REALLY benefited from a laser alignment from Squared Away, my current '12 RT doesn't seem to be as needy although it would probably help. The Baja Ron sway bar also really helped the 08, but again the RT seems to handle just fine. Good Luck!

Mazo EMS2
05-07-2017, 11:53 AM
I think if you find a newer model, you'll be just fine with stock suspension and sorts. The sway bar is a nice addition to the older models, but we just upgraded from a 2010 to a 2016, and I don't feel the need to add a sway bar to it like I did to the 2010. No one says you need to add ANYTHING to your Spyder if you get one. This site is just an avenue to read about all the things you CAN do if you want to. I found my 2016 online at a dealer 2 hrs away, but I have 2 other dealers within an hour away. I was just at one of the closer dealers and the service manager told me that since I had work done with them on other "toys" that he would be happy to help us out with needed service. I prefer to crawl around and do some of the work myself, but it's good to know that they'll work with me. Maybe that would be the case with you as well...??? It's worth having the conversation with them. If you decide to buy, just ride it for a few thousand miles before you start tinkering. Keep asking questions and watching how-to videos too.

JKMSPYDER
05-07-2017, 12:27 PM
Newbert, the closest dealer to me is 90 miles away and the next closest is 150. I have had two Spyders; a 2013 ST-S and my current Spyder, a '15 F3-S. I have used both dealers for service and both have been great. I have ridden over 38,000 miles between both Spyders and have not had a problem that left me stranded. I will be riding to Spyder homecoming at the end of this month and St George, UT in September. Just buy the Spyder and you won't regret it.

sandeejs
05-07-2017, 01:28 PM
I've had a few problems with here and there, but I still really like my Spyder. Everywhere I go, people ask about it. There is a dealership 40 miles from here, not too impressed with their work. 18 miles from me is one that does OK. Near me (about 5 miles) is a shop that does fine with most things. They don't take appointments though, and they aren't really a dealership. There's a place I took my Honda to in the next town, but until they moves to a bigger shop, they don't have room to work on a Spyder.
:spyder:
Also near me is a friend who is usually available to drop me off or pick me up at the shop. Sometimes I have to buy her lunch.

Now that I have NoBoots adapter for the shield raising thingy (installed by the 3rd shop), I'm looking forward to another year of riding. I have ridden to Nova Scotia, South Dakota, NY and other places on it.

Spyder will be paid for in a month or 2.

If only my computer were as well behaved as my Spyder........

~Sandee~

ARtraveler
05-07-2017, 02:04 PM
I was hoping Bob D would chime in since he also resides in upstate NY. I did not see him mention the dealer he is happiest with (sorry if I missed it). I think you will be covered in your location.

I did laser alignment, but had to wait until Squared Away came to AK for a visit. My dealer will have nothing to do with it.

The sway bar is another option. I don't have one on either of my two :spyder2::spyder:'s.

As Bob said: at this point it is really your decision. No hard sell from us is going to make much difference--and it should not. I don't want to be blamed for what you may consider a bad decision at a later time. :yes:

Bob Denman
05-07-2017, 04:50 PM
Maybe I didn't mention them :opps::
Klinger PowerSports
33 West St
Walton, NY
607 865 6326

Badco149
05-07-2017, 08:52 PM
I bought my F3 LTD at a different dealer then the one that did the first service on it and have no complaints. I did have the Smooth Spyder Belt Tensioner installed while being serviced. I am very happy with the results.
Love my Spyder best thing I ever did for the wife and I.:ohyea:

Road-Kill
05-08-2017, 09:20 AM
Although I've taken a test-ride (which I enjoyed), the more I read many of the threads here the more doubts enter my mind as to whether to get a Spyder. No - I'm not being a troll. It's just that although I have the finances for it, it would still be a significant investment, and I don't want to end up regretting it.

The positives about the Spyder don't need to be listed here, since it's clear that you all enjoy your Spyders.

I don't live near a big city, and have few choices in dealers with reasonable distance. Another fact of life here is that the riding season is realistically only six or seven months long. (I won't ride it in winter.) However, there are so many back roads with little traffic around here that I'm sure that the Spyder would be lots of fun. I really want a Spyder, but am so torn because of the above concerns. My decision would probably be easier if it was possible to lease a Spyder. That way I'd be more inclined to take a chance on it. But I haven't seen that option anywhere.

So, that's my thought process in a nutshell. Any thoughts on my dilemma would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

The only reason I purchased my Spyder a few months ago (my first) was because I found a close enough dealer which was recommended by a friend. I would not buy a Spyder or any other brand if there was not a competent mechanic nearby. You do not need sway bars, lazer alignments or any of that other crap out there. The Spyder is VERY efficient without that and has been for me. As far as a good price goes.....if you are nit-picking at every dollar DO NOT BUY A SPYDER. They are not cheap rydes.

Just know this. If you spend $21,000 today and decide tomorrow its not for you.....you will sell it for $10,000 less then you bought it for. Nobody gets their money back from selling a used machine.....NOBODY!

My advice if you are sitting on the fence is NOT TO DO IT. If love is not in the air....its not. My thoughts.

PMK
05-08-2017, 09:34 AM
Dealers and service, if you find a great local dealer, you are very fortunate. Many of us drive a couple of hours to go to a good dealership. Myself, the local dealer is 10 minutes away, when needed I ride 2 1/2 hours, passing 3 other dealerships to go to the dealer I trust.

Some dealers will bargain, others not so much and others not at all. How you play that card is on you. Some bikes arrive via internet sales, others buy then fly in and ride the machine home, and others make a great deal locally while others still get totally hammered on price locally.

As fo modifications, a stock Spyder, with properly balanced tires, and good alignment is a good machine. The newer machines are nice with the 1330, but many riders live for the V Twin.

If you buy a Spyder, buy it to enjoy it. Do not let the quirks get into your head. If your uncertain, and since these are basically toys, skip the Spyder and consider a Mazda Miata or similar. More dealers, similar cost, and, a fun toy also.

If you need your arm twisted to buy a Spyder, go shop for a boat, and ask boat owners how much extra curricular activites the boat requires.

All the best, and enjoy life, whether on a Spyder or not.

Tazzel
05-08-2017, 09:34 AM
The newer Spyders do not require as much maintenance and as far as adding farkles, most owners do them on their own. However if your like me and don't have the tools or the guts to install, any bike mechanic can do them. I have my Scooter mechanic do my accessories installs at half the price of the Spyder dealers.

MelloYelloSpyder
05-08-2017, 12:07 PM
The only reason I purchased my Spyder a few months ago (my first) was because I found a close enough dealer which was recommended by a friend. I would not buy a Spyder or any other brand if there was not a competent mechanic nearby. You do not need sway bars, lazer alignments or any of that other crap out there. The Spyder is VERY efficient without that and has been for me. As far as a good price goes.....if you are nit-picking at every dollar DO NOT BUY A SPYDER. They are not cheap rydes.

Just know this. If you spend $21,000 today and decide tomorrow its not for you.....you will sell it for $10,000 less then you bought it for. Nobody gets their money back from selling a used machine.....NOBODY!

My advice if you are sitting on the fence is NOT TO DO IT. If love is not in the air....its not. My thoughts.

GREAT ADVICE....wish I had heard that when I bought my leftover 2013 STS. I rode it for a couple of years and now it sits parked in the garage on a battery tender. Taken out once a month or so to roll the tires around and start it up. I thought it was for me but after two years of riding it I decided I didn't really like it anymore. I went and bought a two wheel bike and the Spyder will stay parked until sold....

LateLifeCrisis
05-08-2017, 01:00 PM

Thanks.

"You're crazy - - buying a motorcycle at YOUR AGE?!" "Are you trying to get yourself killed?" "Do you have a death wish?" "The bike rider NEVER walks away from an accident."

I'm so glad I didn't listen to the naysayers or that little voice that kept saying, "maybe they're right." I've owned my F3 less than 2 months and my only complaint is, "WHY DID I WAIT.....LOOK AT ALL THE FUN I'VE MISSED!"

Road-Kill
05-08-2017, 01:50 PM
GREAT ADVICE....wish I had heard that when I bought my leftover 2013 STS. I rode it for a couple of years and now it sits parked in the garage on a battery tender. Taken out once a month or so to roll the tires around and start it up. I thought it was for me but after two years of riding it I decided I didn't really like it anymore. I went and bought a two wheel bike and the Spyder will stay parked until sold....

I've bought and sold many rydes in my time. NEVER have I recieved more then 50% of what I paid and that's with the accessories. This is why I NEVER buy another machine till the "old" one is gone and I'm done crying over my lost $$.$$$. My thoughts

The math = My 2016 F3s Special with the accessories, tax, titling and insurance cost me $28,000 to put that ryde in my garage. In 2-3 years of my normal "turn-around" or before I'm eager to ryde another machine I'll get MAYBE $10,000 for my F3. With the coming maintenance, inspection and insurance costs I'll lose roughly $20,000 when its gone.....and that's just in 2-3 years .....IN GREAT SHAPE!

Ask yourself......is that bike worth $20,000 for 2-3 years of some fun? If the answer is YES then do it, if NOT then walk away!:banghead:

jtpollock
05-08-2017, 02:23 PM
You can't justify a Spyder or any other expensive toy you just have to ask yourself do I want it will it make me happy I believe the answer is YES and enjoy the ride miles per smiles...:ohyea::yes: jtpollock

asp125
05-08-2017, 02:58 PM
Most of the posts here are by owners who have had problems or wanted to improve/fine tune theirs. There are many tinkerers and as many owners who ride it as-is.

jimmybarton
05-08-2017, 03:45 PM
I think your figures are a little deflated. I've been shopping for a spyder for about a year and I live in New Orleans where we have at least 3 or 4 dealers 30 to 45 min.s away and plenty of used bikes with the dealers and private owners. I've noticed most resale values depend on the style (RS being the lowest and RT's and F3's being the highest) and the age of the bike. As it is with cars or trucks. The most popular and highest rated dependable bikes resale is not much less than 20% the first 30 months. Of course if its all loaded with accessories you'll loose your investment but speaking purely about a stock spyder machine broken in with two year warranty not yet used up you won't loose more than 30%. The deals are out there if you have patience and on the flip side selling your machine isn't that hard either if you do a through job of advertising it with Cycle Trader, Spyderlovers, Craigslist, etc. Like I said, with a purchase as large as this you need to do a lot of research first to find the right bike and support and warranties and all the mechanics that need to be upgraded and the history, if possible, about the owner's maintenance record. All of this might not be possible but if your serious about getting your monies worth you'll shop smart so what you buy will be affordable for your wallet and you'll make a good return on your investment. Think of it this way - when gas prices go up, and they will, resale on gas guzzlers goes down. When the economy starts to suffer that's when luxury items (like the spyders) get sold real cheap. As the economy goes so goes prices. Look at the stock market - every time the Dow goes up gold goes down. Dow goes down gold goes up. Spyders are luxury items so they go up and down too but not as quickly since BRP changes their model priorities. The RT's and the F3's are the main bikes now with engine improvements and extras. You can get your good deals with the other model brands made before 2015 cause their outdated but still their good bikes, esp. the RS's. I'm not any kind of professional or economist I'm just a guy who enjoys the game of acquiring and selling things as much as having and using those things for recreation or utility. Thanks;)

ARtraveler
05-08-2017, 03:51 PM
I think your figures are a little deflated. I've been shopping for a spyder for about a year and I live in New Orleans where we have at least 3 or 4 dealers 30 to 45 min.s away and plenty of used bikes with the dealers and private owners. I've noticed most resale values depend on the style (RS being the lowest and RT's and F3's being the highest) and the age of the bike. As it is with cars or trucks. The most popular and highest rated dependable bikes resale is not much less than 20% the first 30 months. Of course if its all loaded with accessories you'll loose your investment but speaking purely about a stock spyder machine broken in with two year warranty not yet used up you won't loose more than 30%. The deals are out there if you have patience and on the flip side selling your machine isn't that hard either if you do a through job of advertising it with Cycle Trader, Spyderlovers, Craigslist, etc. Like I said, with a purchase as large as this you need to do a lot of research first to find the right bike and support and warranties and all the mechanics that need to be upgraded and the history, if possible, about the owner's maintenance record. All of this might not be possible but if your serious about getting your monies worth you'll shop smart so what you buy will be affordable for your wallet and you'll make a good return on your investment. Think of it this way - when gas prices go up, and they will, resale on gas guzzlers goes down. When the economy starts to suffer that's when luxury items (like the spyders) get sold real cheap. As the economy goes so goes prices. Look at the stock market - every time the Dow goes up gold goes down. Dow goes down gold goes up. Spyders are luxury items so they go up and down too but not as quickly since BRP changes their model priorities. The RT's and the F3's are the main bikes now with engine improvements and extras. You can get your good deals with the other model brands made before 2015 cause their outdated but still their good bikes, esp. the RS's. I'm not any kind of professional or economist I'm just a guy who enjoys the game of acquiring and selling things as much as having and using those things for recreation or utility. Thanks;)

Have to agree, playing the game is half the fun of shopping for me. I do my homework and usually come away with a pretty good deal. Not so great on Spyders. Here, one dealer and the next closest is about 1500 miles away. One in Canada, and the rest lower 48. Since I have bought five from the same dealer, they don't rake me over to bad. I did pass on a F3 LTD though. To much for my liking. :yes: Cars I do very well on those. Have figured out most of the tricks and know how to use them. :thumbup:

Road-Kill
05-08-2017, 03:58 PM

What a dealer is selling a ryde for has nothing to do with what that dealer paid the owner.
What someone "asks" for a ryde vs what they get are usually as different as night-n-day.
There is NO RETURN ON YOUR INVESTMENT......There is NO INVESTMENT......ITS A FINANCIAL BLACK HOLE.
Buying a bike as an investment is like buying a paper shredder instead of opening a savings account.

Rogue Hawk
05-08-2017, 03:59 PM
I hope its not like this fence

http://www.barbedwiresupplier.com/img/razor-barbed-wire-chain-link-fence.jpg

ARtraveler
05-08-2017, 04:01 PM
I hope its not like this fence

http://www.barbedwiresupplier.com/img/razor-barbed-wire-chain-link-fence.jpg

Ouch!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SpyderF3-s
05-08-2017, 04:36 PM
Fun to ride, but expensive to own/maintain!

ruralgirl
05-08-2017, 07:51 PM
To me, your most important comment is that you "really want a Spyder". This is going to eat at you until you get one. So, first of all, how often did you try to contact the dealer who didn't call back? Do you know for sure that he's simply ignoring your calls, or could something valid be going on with him? If you discover he's a good guy after all, you've got competition back in your corner.

Secondly, as others have stated, aside from the computer crap, there may be other motorcycle mechanics near you who are authorized to sell Spyder parts and are competent to work on Spyders. I have such a dealer just down the road from me.

Thirdly, don't worry about how many months of the year you may not be able to ride. I've never known what it's like to be able to ride more than half the year. Having a blast every other six months is better than never blasting at all.

And, finally, my 2015 RT-S handles just FINE with all of her OE shocks and bars and alignments and everything else. Don't assume that you'll have to improve anything on a newer Spyder.

Life, as they say, is short. Don't look at expensive toys as dollar investments (you'll rarely gain). Look at them as emotional health investments whose returns are calculated in joy.

SPYD1
05-08-2017, 08:03 PM
Look at buying a gently used Spyder that has the options you want already. Many have done this with great success. It makes it fun. Airplane ride there and drive it home. Good way to save money as well. Just make sure it has a warranty. Just a thought.

kngfsh27
05-08-2017, 08:03 PM
November '14 my wife and I stopped at a Spyder dealership and bought a '14 RTL on a wim. We got it for under $27 with an extended warranty. Did we like it? We loved it. 18,600 miles in two years. I really enjoyed it. We added about $1k in farkles. I was on my third pair of front tires with two alignments at 14,500 miles. I had it in four times for a coolant leak which was fixed on the forth trip to the shop. No big deal. The killer was when my wife started comparing CanAM Spyder dealers to Harley dealers. The Spyder was traded in late January. I have 3200 miles on my new ride. Do I regret buying the Spyder? Not at all. It was a really great ride, otherwise I would have not ridden the miles I did. It was all over Iowa, Kansas, Missouri and Nebraska. I am really glad I bought a Spyder even though I didn't keep it. I figure over less than two and a half years we have dropped about $70k in motorcycles with all involved. Go ahead and buy the Spyder. You will love it. Go have fun. Don't sit at home. Get off the fence.

bhfromme
05-08-2017, 10:03 PM
Life is short. Buy it, ride it and don't look back!

jimmybarton
05-09-2017, 11:12 AM
If I buy a car for X amount of dollars usually I'll loose Y amount of dollars when I sell it. Right? Right. Simple , basic, capitalistic, U.S. financial system. All Good
And what makes it even better is I can not only buy a car on terms to make payments (that will cost extra) but I can sell it for whatever price I desire without penalty. I may not get what I want but I can sell it and make money off the car.
If I rented a car or leased I wouldn't get a return on my payments - therefore there would be no investment per se. Just money out for the service of using a car for transportation. Simple. I trust you know where I'm going with this. Buying a spyder for any price and subtracting the amount I sold it for gives me a net loss but calculating the cost of renting that spyder if possible would well exceed my net loss therefore my investment was a net gain because the intangible rewards exceeded the tangible.
As the quote goes -
"What you plant is what you reap"
You buy a spyder motorbike to make a profit - you'll loose.
You buy a spyder motorbike to enjoy riding and sharing in the joy of expression - you'll gain far more than money can buy. Think on that:ohyea:

JKMSPYDER
05-09-2017, 12:46 PM
I see we now have four pages of comments since Newbert's post on Sunday. And Newbert has not responded back. It seems like we are talking to ourselves. Newbert if you are reading these comments, get back to us with your thoughts or your decision.

Navy Warrant
05-09-2017, 12:58 PM
I'm on my second Spyder. My first was a 2012 RT-S SE5 998cc V-Twin. I put 15K miles on it in 3 years. Rode it nearly coast to coast, to the North Rim of Grand Canyon, through 115 degree deserts, through the Rockies in Colorado, and more. Never had a single issue. And if I did, the BEST warranty would have fixed it without question costing me nothing, including road side service and towing which my motorcycle insurance also covers plus trip interruption coverage to help pay for lodging. For $800 I purchased the 3 year BEST extended warranty which covered it just like the original two year one. When I traded it in it had warranty left which was passed on to the new owner for a trouble free guarantee. My next (current Spyder) was/is a 2015 RT Limited SE6 1330cc 3 in-line ACE. The V-Twin is quicker off the start but I wanted the extra torque (power) for when I get around to buying a trailer. It is still quick as a bat out of hell. With it I've traveled throughout New England in the Fall including Cape Cod and more, in and out of deluge rain storms on the highway in Vermont, again completely trouble free. So I've tested my Spyders from 120 degree deserts to thunderstorms in Vermont to 30 degree Connecticut weather completely trouble free. I just yesterday purchased a 3 year extended BEST warranty for $750 (pays to shop around the dealerships because mine wanted $1100). I purchased it from a Spyderlovers.com dealer sponsor. All Can Am dealers will take the BEST warranty no matter where you purchased it (and many take a Zurich warranty though not all, like my dealer), and will work on your Spyder no matter where you purchased it. They still make money for the work. No, a Spyder ain't cheap, but neither is a BMW. That's why although I've never had an issue it's worth it to me for the peace of mind to have and maintain a warranty. It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it. When the 3 year extended BEST warranty is up I'll either have a new Spyder or purchase a 5 year Zurich warranty which will be honored at a dealer a few towns away.

As far as modifications and added bells and whistles, it's like adding things to a Ferrari. Doesn't need them but may improve some things. I just purchased Doc Humphries complete RT belt vibration damper kit. Not needed, but will reduce/eliminate any belt vibration at certain RPMs that some, including me, find annoying. I verified with BRP that it does NOT void any warranty other than if the damper fails and or causes damage it wouldn't be covered. That's to be expected. I did also install BajaRon's beefier sway bar. The buffeting I felt on my 2012 on highways around semi's has been completely eliminated on my 2015 because of it, and the ride just feels more solid all around.

Like any vehicle it's not meant to be an investment. It's a vehicle, albeit an incredibly fun, exhilarating, memory making one that proves that it's not always the destination but always the trip. The picture below says it all. After my wife left in 2010 purchasing my Spyder saved my life, I think literally. I got away and found myself.

A Spyder's not for everyone, but it was for me. What can I tell ya? It's ultimately up to you. My advice is simply don't purchase one for any other reason than to treat yourself to an inward experience. If you purchase one for any reason outside of yourself you may regret it. In any case, good luck. And remember, sometimes you find yourself in the middle of nowhere and sometimes, in the middle of nowhere, you find yourself. If you'd be in the first group you may want to consider a car.

Navy Warrant
05-09-2017, 01:34 PM

Bought my then new 2012 RT-S SE5 for $27,000 here in NC. Traded it in (that's TRADED, not retail sale) 3 years later in 2015 for a value of $17,500 with nearly 15K miles on it.

newbert
05-09-2017, 07:14 PM
I see we now have four pages of comments since Newbert's post on Sunday. And Newbert has not responded back. It seems like we are talking to ourselves. Newbert if you are reading these comments, get back to us with your thoughts or your decision.

Yes - Yes - I'M STILL HERE!

Thanks for all of the thoughts, guys. Just to be clear, I'm not looking to make a profit so don't take the word "investment" that I used so literally.

I have NOT come to a decision about a Spyder yet because of a family health emergency that has very suddenly come up over the last few days. Depending on how that pans out, it may impact me financially as well as emotionally and may well impact on my free time in a BIG WAY. So -- I'm delaying any decision on the Spyder for now.

Didn't mean to hide - I'm still here and reading the comments on the thread. If so inclined, keep 'em coming!

Thanks.

newbert
05-09-2017, 07:27 PM
I'm on my second Spyder. My first was a 2012 RT-S SE5 998cc V-Twin. I put 15K miles on it in 3 years. Rode it nearly coast to coast, to the North Rim of Grand Canyon, through 115 degree deserts, through the Rockies in Colorado, and more. Never had a single issue. And if I did, the BEST warranty would have fixed it without question costing me nothing, including road side service and towing which my motorcycle insurance also covers plus trip interruption coverage to help pay for lodging. For $800 I purchased the 3 year BEST extended warranty which covered it just like the original two year one. ........... All Can Am dealers will take the BEST warranty no matter where you purchased it (and many take a Zurich warranty though not all, like my dealer), and will work on your Spyder no matter where you purchased it. They still make money for the work. No, a Spyder ain't cheap, but neither is a BMW. That's why although I've never had an issue it's worth it to me for the peace of mind to have and maintain a warranty. It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it. When the 3 year extended BEST warranty is up I'll either have a new Spyder or purchase a 5 year Zurich warranty which will be honored at a dealer a few towns away.

Like any vehicle it's not meant to be an investment. It's a vehicle, albeit an incredibly fun, exhilarating, memory making one that proves that it's not always the destination but always the trip. The picture below says it all. After my wife left in 2010 purchasing my Spyder saved my life, I think literally. I got away and found myself.

A Spyder's not for everyone, but it was for me. What can I tell ya? It's ultimately up to you. My advice is simply don't purchase one for any other reason than to treat yourself to an inward experience. If you purchase one for any reason outside of yourself you may regret it. In any case, good luck. And remember, sometimes you find yourself in the middle of nowhere and sometimes, in the middle of nowhere, you find yourself. If you'd be in the first group you may want to consider a car.

Thanks so much for your response, NW! I couldn't agree with your sentiments more. However, life may have thrown a monkey-wrench into my plans (See my previous post). Sometimes s__t just happens, I guess.

I never meant the word "investment" literally. All I meant was that a Spyder costs a chuck of change when you have nothing to trade for it.

I wasn't aware of the BEST warranty including roadside service and towing. That is really good to know! I assume that your 115 degree rides were in the desert southwest or even Death Valley? If roadside/towing coverage is guaranteed in areas like that, I'm sold on BEST!

BTW - What is a "Zurich Warranty".

And I like your quote at the end of your post too!

Thanks!

ruralgirl
05-09-2017, 10:23 PM
......family health emergency that has very suddenly come up over the last few days. Depending on how that pans out, it may impact me financially as well as emotionally and may well impact on my free time in a BIG WAY. So -- I'm delaying any decision on the Spyder for now.n

I'm so sorry to hear this and I hope everything turns out well for all involved!

Bob Denman
05-10-2017, 06:54 AM
Life is short. Buy it, ride it and don't look back!
:agree:

Samson
05-10-2017, 08:40 AM
I have had 2 wheel bikes for 50 years. I decided last September that riding a 900 lb 2 wheel bike was not what I wanted to do as I have 2 very bad knees and worse shoulders from years of football. So with that said I did some research , mostly here on Spyderlovers ( Thanks to all the great members ). I decided to buy a F3 T. I purchased without ever riding a Spyder. I have been on ATV's, have a snow mobile so I had a little bit of an idea what this might be like. I rode the bike for about 800 miles and then I broke my wrist in 6 places as well as my hand. This took me off the Spyder for about 2 months. Then I had Total knee replacement 6 weeks ago. The past 2 weeks I have put about 2000 miles on it. I think it's almost a perfect bike, plenty of power, handles great. The only thing I have done is add the LED fog lights and headlights ( so people will see me coming ) as well as do the alignment. My first service was done this past week. Over all I am very happy for sure. Take advantage of the great people on this site and the vendors who support it, very helpful and a wealth of knowledge.

Life is short, buy the bike, if you don't like it then sell it. I can promise you this , if you don't buy it, you will regret it and that's a bad feeling.

Good luck

south GA Farm Boy
05-10-2017, 04:36 PM

Thanks.
Really be sure that is what you want! I am on my second Spyder and will have to miss our monthly ride this month due to mine being in the shop! Yes it only has about 1200 miles on it, and it's at dealer number 2!!! Yamaha is ranked number 1 in reliability, Can Am Spyder is in last place at number 10! I love my Spyder like most of the others on this site, but I need reliability when I ride! Hopefully you will get a good one like my first one was! If this was my first one, I would have never bought number 2! My wheel bearing is out in the front, and there is none in stock even in Canada, and want be until May 25th at the earliest! We have a long trip planned before then, so I may have to buy something to ride! Good luck, and remember for everyone on this site having problems, there is probably 1000 that is trouble free! You hear of everyone problems, and very few people get on here and tell you how great their is!

pegasus1300
05-10-2017, 06:56 PM
"BTW - What is a "Zurich Warranty". "

The Zurich Warranty is an aftermarket 3rd party company that supplies warranties for motorsports vehicles including Spyders. If you were to buy a used Spyder (which I did) and the factory warranty had expired( which mine was) you are no longer eligible for a BEST warranty. I wanted a warranty so looked around and found out about Zurich and bought a 2 year one. It has a $50.00 deductible but pays the balance. Used it to replace my burnt out compressor,almost paid for itself with that.
Hope your family health crisis resolves in your favor soon.

IdahoMtnSpyder
05-10-2017, 07:33 PM
My wheel bearing is out in the front, and there is none in stock even in Canada, and want be until May 25th at the earliest! We have a long trip planned before then, so I may have to buy something to ride!
The fact there isn't one in stock is an indicator of just how extremely rare your misfortune is. Push the dealer to take an entire front wheel hub and knuckle assembly off of an in stock bike and put it on yours. Let the dealer feel the hurt for not being able to get a replacement part when needed.

cheska
05-11-2017, 12:10 PM
Really be sure that is what you want! I am on my second Spyder and will have to miss our monthly ride this month due to mine being in the shop! Yes it only has about 1200 miles on it, and it's at dealer number 2!!! Yamaha is ranked number 1 in reliability, Can Am Spyder is in last place at number 10! I love my Spyder like most of the others on this site, but I need reliability when I ride! Hopefully you will get a good one like my first one was! If this was my first one, I would have never bought number 2! My wheel bearing is out in the front, and there is none in stock even in Canada, and want be until May 25th at the earliest! We have a long trip planned before then, so I may have to buy something to ride! Good luck, and remember for everyone on this site having problems, there is probably 1000 that is trouble free! You hear of everyone problems, and very few people get on here and tell you how great their is!

I waited until I could buy a Spyder with a different engine than the 998. I just was not convinced it was the proper engine for the machine. I give all the early purchasers credit for sticking it out and making the spyder a success. I had medical concerns which made we wait longer than I wanted to but my 2016 RTS has been faultless. I purchased it in 2015 as a demo and so far great. I would purchase another and am trying to get my wife her own as she used to ride her own bike.
Remember as far as we know we only have one life. And crap happens like open heart surgery. Ride and enjoy Bob