PDA

View Full Version : FEDERAL EVO FRONT TIRE REVIEW

Bam Bam and Pebbles
05-01-2017, 11:53 PM
I put a set of the Federal Evo's on Cocaine a couple of weeks ago. I have only gotten 600 miles on them in the past couple of weeks but I thought I would write a review in case anyone else is thinking about putting them on their bike.

I got them in the OEM size, and had the local Can Am dealership mount them. I have heard of some people saying that they make more noise than some brands of tires, but I have not noticed that. They are harder than a lot of tires and I am sure that would contribute to the noise, but since I ride with my shorty windshield as low as it can go, I probably can't hear any additional noise with all the wind flying around my helmet. I am running these with 18lbs of air in them. Used to run the Kenda's with 21lbs of air. (yes I do like to have my tires a bit stiffer)

Now for the important stuff. I have run these in the triple digits, and also in some of my favorite local twisties. The stiffer sidewalls really let me either hold a tighter turn with no front end diving to the outside of the turn, or I can just go about 10 MPH faster through the turns, with just a little diving. 10 MPH may not sound like much, but I was usually going, at a minimum 25MPH over the speed limit through most turns. Now I can do about 35 over and it feels like these tires really stick like glue in the turns. When pushing the limits on a turn, the Evo's still have better control than the Kenda's ever did. Cocaine really rides on a rail now. As far as just normal riding goes, it just feels safer knowing that the Evo's can handle anything I throw at them.

I have noticed something since I put these puppies on. I steer much better in left hand turns than right handers. I am right handed so apparently I push the bars away from me better with my right than I pull them towards me. That and I lean better to the left I guess. I never noticed that but now I am going faster in the turns and this has made itself known. Learn something new everyday.

It's early in the process but right now, I would have to give the Evo's a big thumbs up. Plus, the Evo's have flames on the tread so you know that means they are really fast.

Roadster Renovations
05-02-2017, 12:34 AM
We have about 10k on a set and they are great!

KX5062
05-02-2017, 10:39 AM
I too am running the EVO tires on my 2014 RT and have been more than happy with them. So far I've got about 12k miles on them and they still look great with tons of life left. I wouldn't even think twice about buying them again. The only minor point is inflation. Because they are harder and stiffer than the Kenda you do have to run them at lower pressures. I too run mine at 18lbs and find that to be a good sweet spot.

blacklightning
05-02-2017, 11:10 AM
I put a set of the Federal Evo's on Cocaine a couple of weeks ago. I have only gotten 600 miles on them in the past couple of weeks but I thought I would write a review in case anyone else is thinking about putting them on their bike.

I got them in the OEM size, and had the local Can Am dealership mount them. I have heard of some people saying that they make more noise than some brands of tires, but I have not noticed that. They are harder than a lot of tires and I am sure that would contribute to the noise, but since I ride with my shorty windshield as low as it can go, I probably can't hear any additional noise with all the wind flying around my helmet. I am running these with 18lbs of air in them. Used to run the Kenda's with 21lbs of air. (yes I do like to have my tires a bit stiffer)

Now for the important stuff. I have run these in the triple digits, and also in some of my favorite local twisties. The stiffer sidewalls really let me either hold a tighter turn with no front end diving to the outside of the turn, or I can just go about 10 MPH faster through the turns, with just a little diving. 10 MPH may not sound like much, but I was usually going, at a minimum 25MPH over the speed limit through most turns. Now I can do about 35 over and it feels like these tires really stick like glue in the turns. When pushing the limits on a turn, the Evo's still have better control than the Kenda's ever did. Cocaine really rides on a rail now. As far as just normal riding goes, it just feels safer knowing that the Evo's can handle anything I throw at them.

I have noticed something since I put these puppies on. I steer much better in left hand turns than right handers. I am right handed so apparently I push the bars away from me better with my right than I pull them towards me. That and I lean better to the left I guess. I never noticed that but now I am going faster in the turns and this has made itself known. Learn something new everyday.

It's early in the process but right now, I would have to give the Evo's a big thumbs up. Plus, the Evo's have flames on the tread so you know that means they are really fast.

I told you they were great. Now that you are going 10 mph faster in the turns, I really got to step my game up. I hate to say it, but I am kind of looking forward to replacing the tires on my F3t, but I refuse to swap out new tires. I just wish they were in the back so I could do a nice burnout to get ride of those sorry Kendas.

STELLING MAN
05-02-2017, 12:29 PM
I have about 18,000 on my stock Kendas, The way they look they will go another 2,000 miles. But when I replace them I'm going to try the Federal Evo's, everyone Is giving them such rave reviews..

SpyderSteveFL
05-02-2017, 12:42 PM
Good to hear, I have a set here in the garage ready to install. They were highly recommended by Kenny Butler at CFP. Curious though when he installs them he sets the pressure at 25. Between these tires, Elka shocks and an alignment I'm hoping I don't recognize the bike :) Also hope it corrects 'twitchyness' in curves, and no, its not a deathgrip. Problem is for anyone looking for the 595 EVO they seem to be on national backorder with stock expected end of June. There are a few places here and there that come up with a set but definitely not generally available right now.

Bob Denman
05-02-2017, 12:59 PM
:clap: Thanks for letting us know what you think of them! :thumbup:
One Question: How do they ride?? :dontknow:
Does the stiffer sidewall make them feel harsher?
(Okay: TWO questions! :D)

BLUEKNIGHT911
05-02-2017, 01:18 PM
Good to hear, I have a set here in the garage ready to install. They were highly recommended by Kenny Butler at CFP. Curious though when he installs them he sets the pressure at 25. Between these tires, Elka shocks and an alignment I'm hoping I don't recognize the bike :) Also hope it corrects 'twitchyness' in curves, and no, its not a deathgrip. Problem is for anyone looking for the 595 EVO they seem to be on national backorder with stock expected end of June. There are a few places here and there that come up with a set but definitely not generally available right now. The EVO ( which I don't like because the DRIFTER crowd really DOES ) is meant for a 4000b. car, you are putting it on a 1100lb. spyder ..........so 25lbs PSI is way to much .............try 16 you would be amazed how much better it will handle at that pressure.....................Any car tire on sny Spyder needs needs much lower air pressure because of the weight difference ................ Mike :thumbup:

SpyderSteveFL
05-02-2017, 02:26 PM
The EVO ( which I don't like because the DRIFTER crowd really DOES ) is meant for a 4000b. car, you are putting it on a 1100lb. spyder ..........so 25lbs PSI is way to much .............try 16 you would be amazed how much better it will handle at that pressure.....................Any car tire on sny Spyder needs needs much lower air pressure because of the weight difference ................ Mike :thumbup:
I know I've read all your previous comments in other threads on this topic so I was surprised to hear Kenny recommend 25. But thats what he runs and puts in all his happy customers. I understand what you are saying but I also totally 100% believe in Kenny, so it's a conundrum. I'll probably have to try both and just see what I like better. And, for the record, I don't give a rats rear what a drifter crowd or any other group thinks. I have my reservations about a cheap chinese tire but I can't argue with the pros or rave reviews from other Spyder riders. And since Kenny is in same climate zone and deals with same road types and weather, I tend to trust that opinion as its what I'll be dealing with.

Bam Bam and Pebbles
05-02-2017, 04:25 PM
:clap: Thanks for letting us know what you think of them! :thumbup:
One Question: How do they ride?? :dontknow:
Does the stiffer sidewall make them feel harsher?
(Okay: TWO questions! :D)

Bob, They ride great and yes, they feel a touch harsher. Ill put up with that for the performance.

Bam Bam and Pebbles
05-02-2017, 04:37 PM
The EVO ( which I don't like because the DRIFTER crowd really DOES ) is meant for a 4000b. car, you are putting it on a 1100lb. spyder ..........so 25lbs PSI is way to much .............try 16 you would be amazed how much better it will handle at that pressure.....................Any car tire on sny Spyder needs needs much lower air pressure because of the weight difference ................ Mike :thumbup:

Mike, you will be glad to know, or maybe not, that the drifter crowd can now include Spyders. Just got back from a spirited little ride and got to drift when I overcooked a 35mph turn. I was doing 75 and did not hit the apex as I usually do. Went in a little high and had to really twist the bars harder to the left than I should have. Got sideways for a little bit with the tires squeeling. I guess I found the limits of these things when you dont hit the turn properly and im riding on a strange road. It did get my heart racing though. Fun since I got through it but I doubt I would be saying that if I didnt keep it on the road. Lesson learned.

Bam Bam and Pebbles
05-02-2017, 04:46 PM
Good to hear, I have a set here in the garage ready to install. They were highly recommended by Kenny Butler at CFP. Curious though when he installs them he sets the pressure at 25. Between these tires, Elka shocks and an alignment I'm hoping I don't recognize the bike :) Also hope it corrects 'twitchyness' in curves, and no, its not a deathgrip. Problem is for anyone looking for the 595 EVO they seem to be on national backorder with stock expected end of June. There are a few places here and there that come up with a set but definitely not generally available right now.

Steve, I guess it depends on how you ride but I like my Evos at 18 for a little extra grip. I think 25 is too much and I think you may find them really harsh at that pressure. It is up to you of course, and trying different pressures is the best way to find what is comfortable for you. But then again, if I had them at 25, I may feel like I was riding on stone tires like my namesake did in the Flintstones. LOL

Peteoz
05-02-2017, 04:49 PM
..... I was doing 75 and did not hit the apex as I usually do. Went in a little high and had to really twist the bars harder to the left than I should have. Got sideways for a little bit with the tires squeeling. I guess I found the limits of these things when you dont hit the turn properly and im riding on a strange road. It did get my heart racing though. Fun since I got through it but I doubt I would be saying that if I didnt keep it on the road. Lesson learned.

That's a worry.....I NEVER hit the apex properly so I'd better not put EVOs on:shocked:.......or maybe a better solution would be for me to invest in some riding lessons :opps::D:D

Pete

Bob Denman
05-02-2017, 05:01 PM
Bob, They ride great and yes, they feel a touch harsher. Ill put up with that for the performance.

:clap:

Bam Bam and Pebbles
05-02-2017, 05:14 PM
That's a worry.....I NEVER hit the apex properly so I'd better not put EVOs on:shocked:.......or maybe a better solution would be for me to invest in some riding lessons :opps::D:D

Pete

Pete, never had any lessons. Just always looking for tips and trying them out to see if they help. As fast as I like to go, I better have good technique or im gonna end up as road kill. I do like to ride right on that fine line between in control or dead when possible. Damn near crossed it today.

Pirate looks at --
05-02-2017, 05:38 PM

" Cocaine really rides on a rail now." Some pun intended, I suppose!!:roflblack::roflblack:

Roadster Renovations
05-02-2017, 05:41 PM
Kenny was who got me started on them.

Bam Bam and Pebbles
05-02-2017, 06:01 PM
" Cocaine really rides on a rail now." Some pun intended, I suppose!!:roflblack::roflblack:

Always!

SpyderSteveFL
05-02-2017, 09:00 PM
Interesting but I suspect the way you've been riding pretty much any tire would break loose under those circumstances.

SpyderAnn01
05-02-2017, 09:29 PM
Here's another benefit to the Federal tires, they are not directional so if you want to rotate them you can do it easily. I ran the Evo twice and got about 30,000 miles on each set without rotating them but Kenny rotates his and he has gotten over 40,000 on a set. So for many of you that would be the only set of tires you'd ever need to buy

Bam Bam and Pebbles
05-02-2017, 11:57 PM
Interesting but I suspect the way you've been riding pretty much any tire would break loose under those circumstances.

You could be right. But if I had hit the turn correctly........

Bam Bam and Pebbles
05-03-2017, 03:34 AM
Here's another benefit to the Federal tires, they are not directional so if you want to rotate them you can do it easily. I ran the Evo twice and got about 30,000 miles on each set without rotating them but Kenny rotates his and he has gotten over 40,000 on a set. So for many of you that would be the only set of tires you'd ever need to buy

Ann, I thought they are directional. The channels are not super long or slanted too much but it looks to me that they will push water to the outside of the tire as opposed to if you just rotate the tire from left to right. Federals website says they are uni-directional, but they look directional to me. Not by much, but somewhat.

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ2AGVK8R_Sh1NZWQGUep8Ufcw0KKVvM Deaufm9kvePNHGkJlMf

Bam Bam and Pebbles
05-03-2017, 05:10 AM
I believe I will check that out when I get off work. I have been able to ride to work a lot lately. Do you think they look directional?

Bam Bam and Pebbles
05-03-2017, 06:44 PM
147168There is an arrow in front of the tire size. These are definitely directional tires.

Highwayman2013
05-03-2017, 08:09 PM
Ann is running the Federal Formosa's.

Bam Bam and Pebbles
05-03-2017, 08:20 PM
Here's another benefit to the Federal tires, they are not directional so if you want to rotate them you can do it easily. I ran the Evo twice and got about 30,000 miles on each set without rotating them but Kenny rotates his and he has gotten over 40,000 on a set. So for many of you that would be the only set of tires you'd ever need to buy.

Sounds like she was talking about the Evos to me

fulltimer
05-04-2017, 01:44 PM
Glad I found this post. I am running my first and only set of the stock Kendas on the front of my '13 ST LTD. I will be looking for a new set soon. I currently have over 26000 mi. on them. In looking at the pictures on Amazon of this Federal Evo tire, it appears to be a lower profile tire than the stock. Is this true or just the pictures?:sour: I got rid of the poor rear tire on the last change and am interested in a better and often times cheaper tire based on what the dealers want to charge.

Bam Bam and Pebbles
05-04-2017, 03:15 PM
Glad I found this post. I am running my first and only set of the stock Kendas on the front of my '13 ST LTD. I will be looking for a new set soon. I currently have over 26000 mi. on them. In looking at the pictures on Amazon of this Federal Evo tire, it appears to be a lower profile tire than the stock. Is this true or just the pictures?:sour: I got rid of the poor rear tire on the last change and am interested in a better and often times cheaper tire based on what the dealers want to charge.

I have the OEM size and they are not a lower profile.

900Dave
05-04-2017, 07:27 PM
I installed these on my STL the other year. I did not run them long as I traded the St after putting about 8000 miles on the Evo's. They are directional. I ran them at 18 PSI. That is the same pressure I run the Kenda's at. They seemed to be wearing really good BUT they did one thing the Kenda's never did and that was break loose in a corner! two corners in a row I plowed straight and it scared the crap out of us. Just saying! It may never happen to any of you.