PDA

View Full Version : Can Spyders Fly

Spyder_Cowgirl
05-01-2017, 09:36 PM
The question is sort of philosophical .... but is rooted in fact (inquiring minds want to know). Anyway, a group of 6 bikes (5 two wheelers and one spyder) and one tail-gunner truck took a road trip from North Central Texas to Midland / Odessa -- our goal was to see The Permian Basin Vietnam Memorial at Midland, the Kyle Memorial at Odessa, plus Hangar 25 and the Vietnam Memorial at Big Spring.

We had a cold and somewhat wet 350 mile ride south on Saturday ... about half in rain and around 55 degrees. Sunday, though, that was when we hit wind on the way back north. Heading NE and E until we got to Anson, when we turned North .... and oh boy did we get slammed! Sustained wind of 45 mph with gusts at 60 mph (maybe higher in a couple of spots) and out of the West so it was pure crosswind for about 30 to 40 miles as we went N to Haskell. :yikes: I put RT wind shield down all the way and was leaned as far forward as I could possibly get to create the smallest profile. All the while I am thinking to myself, can the nose of the spyder lift in this wind? :hun: Or could a front tire come up? Had that happen once on my 2012 RT when I got caught in a downburst from a collapsed thunderstorm ... but that was one quick gust and nanny put that front tire right back down. This was sustained wind .... what would nanny have done? :dontknow: Once we got to Haskell, the rest of the group continued north and my husband and I headed east, putting the wind at our backs for a little while. We delayed our turn north in order to minimize the distance ... it was only about 12 more miles (instead of the 80 or so the rest of the group had to deal with). We were mighty glad to get home after 695 miles on the weekend -- believe we all deserve "Devil Wind Merit Badges" for pushing through it!

So, can Spyders fly? Well ..... then again, maybe I don't really want to know. :shocked:

All the best .... Ann

rustynail51
05-01-2017, 10:25 PM
mine hasn't lifted off yet but haven't topped it out yet.

LateLifeCrisis
05-01-2017, 11:19 PM
The question is sort of philosophical .... but is rooted in fact (inquiring minds want to know). Anyway, a group of 6 bikes (5 two wheelers and one spyder) and one tail-gunner truck took a road trip from North Central Texas to Midland / Odessa -- our goal was to see The Permian Basin Vietnam Memorial at Midland, the Kyle Memorial at Odessa, plus Hangar 25 and the Vietnam Memorial at Big Spring.

We had a cold and somewhat wet 350 mile ride south on Saturday ... about half in rain and around 55 degrees. Sunday, though, that was when we hit wind on the way back north. Heading NE and E until we got to Anson, when we turned North .... and oh boy did we get slammed! Sustained wind of 45 mph with gusts at 60 mph (maybe higher in a couple of spots) and out of the West so it was pure crosswind for about 30 to 40 miles as we went N to Haskell. :yikes: I put RT wind shield down all the way and was leaned as far forward as I could possibly get to create the smallest profile. All the while I am thinking to myself, can the nose of the spyder lift in this wind? :hun: Or could a front tire come up? Had that happen once on my 2012 RT when I got caught in a downburst from a collapsed thunderstorm ... but that was one quick gust and nanny put that front tire right back down. This was sustained wind .... what would nanny have done? :dontknow: Once we got to Haskell, the rest of the group continued north and my husband and I headed east, putting the wind at our backs for a little while. We delayed our turn north in order to minimize the distance ... it was only about 12 more miles (instead of the 80 or so the rest of the group had to deal with). We were mighty glad to get home after 695 miles on the weekend -- believe we all deserve "Devil Wind Merit Badges" for pushing through it!

So, can Spyders fly? Well ..... then again, maybe I don't really want to know. :shocked:

All the best .... Ann

Sounds to me if "Jubilee" had gone airborne, she would have had a good pilot to bring her in for a safe landing.......:clap:

Bfromla
05-02-2017, 02:04 AM
Funny you ask that after i found this tee shirt 147067:roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:
and aside from momentary elevation from pot holes or RXR tracks nope i think Nanny does not have her broom to ride thru the air. Sheis well grounded & want all 3feet toucking at all times.

More great tee's :ohyea:http://www.badideatshirts.com

Bob Denman
05-02-2017, 06:56 AM
:shocked: You did the right thing by reducing your profile to the wind... :clap:
Can they fly? :dontknow:
Let's hope that nobody ever finds out! nojoke

PrairieSpyder
05-02-2017, 08:30 AM
I had a cross wind heading north to the 3-wheel rally last summer. I was on a 2-lane highway and had a lot of big-rigs heading the other way. So besides the cross-wind, there was significant was from the trucks. Nanny never kicked in, but I was exhausted by the time I got to the mountains! The only thing that would have been worse is if it had been raining!

WA5VHU
05-02-2017, 03:29 PM
We were out ryding two-up on our RT with our local group on the back roads in the hills of PA and going over some "tummy bumps" and I was able to get all 3 wheels off the ground on one of them, as verified by the person behind us. It was fun!

It was too quick to notice what the Nanny was doing.

Spyder_Cowgirl
05-02-2017, 04:05 PM
Sounds to me if "Jubilee" had gone airborne, she would have had a good pilot to bring her in for a safe landing.......:clap:

Thank you for the vote of confidence!

Spyder_Cowgirl
05-02-2017, 04:23 PM
Funny you ask that after i found this tee shirt 147067:roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:
and aside from momentary elevation from pot holes or RXR tracks nope i think Nanny does not have her broom to ride thru the air. Sheis well grounded & want all 3feet toucking at all times.

Well .... we have these things around here called "parachute spiders" (actually the young of a new generation) and they DO fly ... more, float than fly, but definitely airborne.

All the best .... Ann

Spyder_Cowgirl
05-02-2017, 05:19 PM
:shocked: You did the right thing by reducing your profile to the wind... :clap:

I paid for it the next day though ... shoulders and low back were VERY sore!

Bob Denman
05-03-2017, 06:51 AM
:D I call that, "Paying for the ride." :clap:

I'd rather be a bit sore; than NOT riding! :thumbup: