PDA

View Full Version : trailering advice

Habib
04-28-2017, 12:24 PM
After the rainiest year in history I'm getting out of Dodge for a month and going to Texas. Not able to ride the bike but I want to take it along and get the sunny weather advantage for riding.
Question for those of you that have towed your Spyder on a flat bed trailer. Have you ever had any trouble with theft, vandalism or other such nonsense traveling with an open trailer? Wife is more worried than me but she does have a point about parking in places for the night where you can't see or hear what's going on outside your Motel/Hotel door. I have a cover for it and it will be chained to the floor of the trailer.

Thanks for any input.

pegasus1300
04-28-2017, 01:05 PM
A simple cover does a lot to deter prying eyes. Make sure to put it on at night when you stop. Lock all the cases and take any valuables with you to the room.

Bob Denman
04-28-2017, 01:14 PM
:agree: Park as close to your room as possible: it's preferable to back the rig up to your room... :thumbup:
A motion detector alarm would go a long way...

..as would sleeping with "one eye open". :shocked:

Habib
04-28-2017, 01:19 PM
:agree: Park as close to your room as possible: it's preferable to back the rig up to your room... :thumbup:
A motion detector alarm would go a long way...

..as would sleeping with "one eye open". :shocked:

Told the wife I'd roll out the sleeping bag next to the bike and let the .40 SW do the protecting. Guess what, she said NO! :)

PrairieSpyder
04-28-2017, 01:26 PM
Told the wife I'd roll out the sleeping bag next to the bike and let the .40 SW do the protecting. Guess what, she said NO! :)

Seems to me that shouldn't be a problem for your wife, as long as she's in a nice dry hotel room!;)

CA Railwhale
04-28-2017, 01:27 PM
I've trailered my F 3 several times and haven't had a security problem. One issue that I have had is that the full cover tends to ride up in the front. If I hadn't had a cargo net on top of the cover I would have lost it. I'm having a bra made to cover the front of the bike and windshield to give better protection than the cover does while towing.

Bob Denman
04-28-2017, 01:29 PM
Seems to me that shouldn't be a problem for your wife, as long as she's in a nice dry hotel room!;)
But it would be helpful if she'd share the bathroom with you! :shocked:

asp125
04-28-2017, 01:30 PM
Cover, chain it to your trailer, AND... a good hitch lock. I've had friends whose entire trailer + bikes were stolen when thieves broke the hitch lock and took off rig and all. Backing the rig up into a parking spot is also good.

CA Railwhale
04-28-2017, 02:06 PM
I believe in overkill. I either lock the trailer to the tow vehicle and lock the wheels or lock the tongue, the release lever AND lock both wheels if it's not attached to the tow vehicle. The only option left to a theif then is to carry the trailer and Spyder away. If they are going to carry off fifteen hundred pounds of bike and trailer, more power to them and my insurance can buy me a new Spyder and trailer.

Marcy
04-28-2017, 07:12 PM
After many, many, many years in law enforcement and security you will never stop a determined thief. Your best bet is to make your's more difficult to steal than the one next to it. It's all about deterrence and time. The longer it takes or more noticeable the less appealing and the greater the threat of detection.

Habib
05-01-2017, 12:36 PM
Thanks everyone.

DGoebel
05-01-2017, 05:11 PM
I not only back it in to some edge or fence, or other building or something, but the Tow vehicle has an alarm system on it that talks to my cell. If they jostle the trailer just a little the truck's alarm goes off.

When parked off the tow vehicle I have both a Reese Towpower Universal Coupler Lock and a Master Lock Vinyl Coated Cable with Loop Ends that loops through the wheel on one side, then up through the rails on the trailer. As well have having a very short Master lock through the trailer ball hitch latch. Shoot even my hitch pin (2in receiver hitch type) has a Bent Pin Receiver Lock locking pin.

As someone above already said, make it more difficult than easier pickins....