PDA

View Full Version : Is the F3(t)Limited the new RT?

loisk
04-28-2017, 05:30 AM
What will it take for BRP to make the F3 Limited the new RT?

I think -

- Adjustable windscreen, likely electronic, with choice of heights

- Adjustable top box position, ie, in line with 'u-fit', it can easily be mounted an inch or two further back, to give the passenger a bit more room (note the armrests could stay where they are)

- Maybe slightly redesigned side bags/panniers to add a little more storage (ie more streamlined, perhaps to meet up with the bottom of the top box)

What are your thoughts ??

:chat::dg1: :riding:

Bob Denman
04-28-2017, 06:39 AM
;) Sorry... nope!
The lack of storage space is the biggest issue with the F3 bikes.

blacklightning
04-28-2017, 07:01 AM
;) Sorry... nope!
The lack of storage space is the biggest issue with the F3 bikes.
:agree:That is what i think. I just sold my rt and picked up a f3t. Although there is not near the storage, i think it will work for me as a 98% single rider. Now, one comment that i don't agree with is when people say they "upgraded from their rt to a f3t". If you have a 2014 or newer rt, you are at the top. The f3t is different, but not better.

PMK
04-28-2017, 07:13 AM
All the F3s still have that sporty riding lawn mower style front end. Certainly not Rally / Touring styled.

I did have a new F3 owner explain to me he got the racing version. Hope I did not break his heart telling him there is no racing version, it only has 115HP.

Bob Denman
04-28-2017, 07:18 AM
Paul,
The front-end styling is a pretty personal thing...
But it is largely due to the repackaging of those big twin radiators.
There's just not much else that can be done with them... :dontknow:

PMK
04-28-2017, 07:30 AM
Paul,
The front-end styling is a pretty personal thing...
But it is largely due to the repackaging of those big twin radiators.
There's just not much else that can be done with them... :dontknow:

Aston Martin managed to get style and radiators in a small front profile.

Granted the F3 front apearance is truly a love or hate decision for the person looking at it. Without too much imagination, the F3 is less snowmobile look.

Aerodynamically, since they rotated the radiators and no longer have direct cooling air into the radiators, possibly the shape and grille is requires for proper cooling.

Remember when we saw the spy photos years ago. The then unannounced F3 took a beating.

Bob Denman
04-28-2017, 07:39 AM
All of the air that flows into the nose of the bike needs to be turned 90 degrees in order to exit through the radiators...
This required some creative ductwork, that ate up the frunk's storage capacity. :shocked:
If the radiators were laid-down, or angled differently... :dontknow::dontknow::dontknow::dontknow:

I-Day
04-28-2017, 08:41 AM
We are new to the Spyder world. (Two months) when we went to look at Spyders the RT caught my eye right away but the problem was I didn't fit! I am 6'5" tall 280 lbs with size 15 shoes. Like the Goldwing trike it was a tight fit. My wife noticed the F3T and the dealer said we could make it fit with the Ufit system. And we bought a brand new one. Like I said I am new to this but my bold prediction is that the F3T and F3L are the future of Spyders and will outsell all other brands because of the UFIT system!

Pirate looks at --
04-28-2017, 08:54 AM
They come up with a U-Fit for the RT in its next form? I think there are way too many RT owners out there that NEED the extra room, that there will always be a Battleship in the Spyder line! I do think that it it time for an updated RT though:yes:

Bob Denman
04-28-2017, 09:28 AM
:agree: Hopefully a longer wheelbase will give us more rider/passenger space...
But that should also require a reconfiguration of the rear driveline: perhaps a driveshaft??? :dontknow:
More luggage space can also be added: make the saddlebags deeper and longer, and the top trunk can also be made longer and wider!
This is just my wish-list: what's yours? :D

Lew L
04-28-2017, 10:21 AM
But that should also require a reconfiguration of the rear driveline: perhaps a driveshaft??? :dontknow:
More luggage space can also be added: make the saddlebags deeper and longer, and the top trunk can also be made longer and wider!

About 30 more ft/pounds of torque and the same amount of horsepower. Or maybe a gearing change. Otherwise my 2014 RTS is perfect ( after many farkels).

Kaos

Bob Denman
04-28-2017, 10:23 AM
As a touring bike: I've never felt the need for more power...
But I'd never refuse it! :D

pegasus1300
04-28-2017, 11:34 AM
I have driven shaft drive bikes for 40 years. I find I like the belt. Shaft robs a lot of horse power and adds weight and the Spyder is already pretty heavy. I would like to see a little longer wheelbase for more rider/passenger room,but again we are already pretty long. If it does grow in length,BRP will have to include an idler pulley or vibration will kill sales. A different nose would be nice and a different interior shape to the trunk. Otherwise packing space if ample. An integrated bluetooth for wireless headsets would be nice and an upgrade in factory tires.

Bob Denman
04-28-2017, 11:51 AM
A longer wheelbase equals a longer belt...
Which seems to increase the chances for harmonic vibrations! :yikes:
Since a chain is not a viable option: that leaves a shaft. :dontknow:

pegasus1300
04-28-2017, 01:57 PM
A longer wheelbase equals a longer belt...
Which seems to increase the chances for harmonic vibrations! :yikes:
Since a chain is not a viable option: that leaves a shaft. :dontknow:

Which is why I mentioned a BRP included idler pulley.

Bob Denman
04-28-2017, 02:00 PM
:shocked: I've seen too many reports of theirs failing...

I'd rather use Doc's! :thumbup:

ARtraveler
04-28-2017, 02:15 PM
What will it take for BRP to make the F3 Limited the new RT?

I think -

- Adjustable windscreen, likely electronic, with choice of heights

- Adjustable top box position, ie, in line with 'u-fit', it can easily be mounted an inch or two further back, to give the passenger a bit more room (note the armrests could stay where they are)

- Maybe slightly redesigned side bags/panniers to add a little more storage (ie more streamlined, perhaps to meet up with the bottom of the top box)

What are your thoughts ??

:chat::dg1: :riding:

I sincerely hope not. We need both a couch and a cruiser version. Like the Goldwings--dated, but meeting the needs of most who like them. It is time for some serious updating in the styling. The ride is pretty good. Still wanting a bigger engine although the 1330 is very sufficient.

If BRP goes to one platform and try to make it the "everything" :ani29: for "everybody," they are making a serious mistake--IMO. It did not work with the GS/RS for the first two years. I made mine into RT's--before there was an RT. I sometimes think they stole my ideas. :thumbup:

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=20862&d=1266976224 (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/album.php?albumid=655&attachmentid=20859)

loisk
04-28-2017, 03:37 PM
I am enjoying all these thoughts.
Some excellent points being made.

Deanna777
04-28-2017, 03:46 PM
I would buy an RT again, because of the storage compartments, and comfort. Deanna

Peteoz
04-28-2017, 03:52 PM
We are new to the Spyder world. (Two months) when we went to look at Spyders the RT caught my eye right away but the problem was I didn't fit! I am 6'5" tall 280 lbs with size 15 shoes. Like the Goldwing trike it was a tight fit. My wife noticed the F3T and the dealer said we could make it fit with the Ufit system. And we bought a brand new one. Like I said I am new to this but my bold prediction is that the F3T and F3L are the future of Spyders and will outsell all other brands because of the UFIT system!

Most riders aren't our size, I-Day, and fit the RT just fine in its current form.....they don't need U-fit;)....... I think there will always be a market for the RT and the F3. Honda sees the market for both which is why they introduced the F6B.

I love my F3-L, but if there had been legroom on the RT, the decision would have been difficult.

Pete

Bob Denman
04-28-2017, 05:06 PM
I would buy an RT again, because of the storage compartments, and comfort. Deanna

:agree: :clap: :2thumbs:

WellsboroSpyder
04-28-2017, 05:59 PM

I don't know about a longer wheelbase Bob. I kind of like the snuggling, especially when my wife drives and I ride. Just saying ;)

blacklightning
04-28-2017, 09:12 PM
I know it isn't adding power, but after 3 days of riding my F3T, I was wondering if anyone has made a rear wheel and pulley swap from a f3 or f3t into a RT, RS, GS, or ST? I think it would make it really interesting. It would be kind of like in the late 80's and early 90's when everyone was swapping out the rear end gears in their mustangs. By simply doing this, it would make the off line acceleration seem a lot greater.

JP58
04-28-2017, 09:56 PM
I would like to see the RT remove the lower panels and foot deflector and move them forward and in like the f3. But then have longer floorboards that are straight not angled down. So we can have multiple for position. Also move brake pedal forward. Shaft drive would be nice. And more passenger room.

Peter Aawen
04-28-2017, 11:43 PM
.... I was wondering if anyone has made a rear wheel and pulley swap from a f3 or f3t into a RT, RS, GS, or ST? .....

It doesn't work!! :(

Doing that is basically akin to the concept of swapping the pulley from an Aus/EU spec Spyder onto your North American spec Spyder or vice versa, which has been tried... & I'm more than pretty sure it was tried unsuccessfully! :sour:

Without changing ALL the settings in the ECU etc (aka 'the Nanny') to match the International Region that the Spyder was delivered to & sold in, the Nanny gets all upset & starts throwing codes because all of the safety features don't match/can't match the wheel rotational speeds to those expected by the std wheel/pulley combinations in your Region, so the Nanny pretty much decides you've got a major safety issue & spits the dummy, thereby rendering your Spyder un-useable... :gaah:

Good thought tho, it's just that no-one's been able to re-flash the electronics to accept any of the disireable variations!! You basically have no choice but to stick with the OE configuration. :lecturef_smilie:

DJFaninTN
04-29-2017, 12:13 AM

but I'd love an 8 speed transmission for those long trips and talk about increasing your MPG's :shocked:

ARtraveler
04-29-2017, 01:58 PM
If there is another :spyder2: in my garage, it will have to be the touring platform. But, I am waiting for the next iteration. Three that look alike with one having a bigger engine is not enough incentive to spend another $35K plus. And yes, they will be at least that. :bbq::bbq::bbq:

Fat Baxter
04-29-2017, 06:10 PM
I think it would be a fundamental mistake to kill the RT line in favor of the F3 line. Even with U-Fit, the "feet forward" riding position is not for everyone.

Let me explain: I came from 30+ years of riding BMWs, so I was used to a "sport riding" position where your feet are placed directly below your hips. I bought an RT-S new in 2014. The RT's "sit up and beg," upright position (with your feet positioned more forward, under your knees) took a bit of getting used to, and I still find myself unconsciously moving my feet towards the rear of the floorboards during twisty maneuvers.

With either the sporty, BMW-like layout (as found on the GS and ST lines, BTW) or the more upright RT layout, you can still stand up on the footpegs/floorboards and use your legs like shock absorbers (as you might do when crossing some railroad tracks). This is very much like riding a horse with an English saddle; you stand up in the stirrups when the horse gets busy.

I've sat on some F-3's and noted that there's no way (for me anyway) to stand up on the pegs. This means my butt will have to absorb the bumps (and said bumps may be transferred to my spine). I hope the F3 series has a very plush seat -- otherwise, I'd be looking for an aftermarket solution PDQ!

This line of thought occurred to me when I was first thinking of getting off BMWs and I was looking at Harley (rationale: there's a Harley dealer in every town over 50 people, whereas BMW *might* have one per state). The upright position of the touring bikes was do-able, but the more extreme "feet forward" models turned me off, per the rationale above.

I mentioned all this in a previous thread, and that since got me to thinking: I believe BRP is missing out by dropping the V-twin platform and not substituting a sporty-oriented machine using the 1330 engine, with a lean-forward riding position.

So my logic goes the other way -- keep the separate RT and F3 lines, and create another one, recreating the ST riding layout. I don't think a single model will appeal to all riders, so BRP ought to have several variants to cover all the riding style preferences. I think you'd suck in more customers that way.

loisk
04-29-2017, 08:59 PM
I agree - a single style will not appeal to all.
We all have our favourites - let's keep it that way.

CA Railwhale
04-29-2017, 11:17 PM
[QUOTE=Fat Baxter;1252073]I think it would be a fundamental mistake to kill the RT line in favor of the F3 line. Even with U-Fit, the "feet forward" riding position is not for everyone.

Let me explain: I came from 30+ years of riding BMWs, so I was used to a "sport riding" position where your feet are placed directly below your hips. I bought an RT-S new in 2014. The RT's "sit up and beg," upright position (with your feet positioned more forward, under your knees) took a bit of getting used to, and I still find myself unconsciously moving my feet towards the rear of the floorboards during twisty maneuvers.

With either the sporty, BMW-like layout (as found on the GS and ST lines, BTW) or the more upright RT layout, you can still stand up on the footpegs/floorboards and use your legs like shock absorbers (as you might do when crossing some railroad tracks). This is very much like riding a horse with an English saddle; you stand up in the stirrups when the horse gets busy.

I've sat on some F-3's and noted that there's no way (for me anyway) to stand up on the pegs. This means my butt will have to absorb the bumps (and said bumps may be transferred to my spine). I hope the F3 series has a very plush seat -- otherwise, I'd be looking for an aftermarket solution PDQ!

This line of thought occurred to me when I was first thinking of getting off BMWs and I was looking at Harley (rationale: there's a Harley dealer in every town over 50 people, whereas BMW *might* have one per state). The upright position of the touring bikes was do-able, but the more extreme "feet forward" models turned me off, per the rationale above.

I mentioned all this in a previous thread, and that since got me to thinking: I believe BRP is missing out by dropping the V-twin platform and not substituting a sporty-oriented machine using the 1330 engine, with a lean-forward riding position.

So my logic goes the other way -- keep the separate RT and F3 lines, and create another one, recreating the ST riding layout. I don't think a single model will appeal to all riders, so BRP ought to have several variants to cover all the riding style preferences. I think you'd suck in more customers that way.[/QUOTEI sat on a new RT yesterday at the dealer while my F 3 was being serviced. I immediately disliked both the riding position as well as the marshmellow suspension. Some people might like them, but I'd guess they are smaller than my six foot two 280 pounds.