PDA

View Full Version : LaSmoother!

tehrlich
04-23-2017, 09:22 PM
Oh, wow. I didn't expect such a big difference with my 15 RT Limited!!

I bought the Lamonster wheel balancers (http://www.lamonstergarage.com/lamonster-approved-wheel-balancers-front-set-of-two/) for the front wheels on kind of a whim. Finally put them on today and went out for a spin. So much smoother and defined! I have had my front end laser aligned and that was great, but these made a huge difference. I guess I became used to some vibration over 15000 miles. I didn't mind it. Thought it was normal and attributed it to my hard-set shocks. These took out a LOT of the vibration to where, it feels like butter! It wasn't the stiff shock setting, it was minor vibration.

I tested the belt vibration that usually kicks in about 3900rpm's and it was still there. However, it was dramatically less. I'm guessing with a smoother front end, the whole unit is affected.

The added mass is a bonus, too, I think with tight turns. The wheels just seemed to be planted and more upright during aggressive turns.

These are so good that I think they are a necessary upgrade to a Spyder, just like upgrading the anti sway bar.

Chupaca
04-23-2017, 11:31 PM
Nice to have a review on those balancers...:bowdown:

jcthorne
04-24-2017, 07:20 AM
Congrats! Louise and I both have them on our Spyders and have installed some on customers bikes. Reports back all echo yours. Just SMOOOOOTH. Instantly noticeable on the first ride. Great product.

Buckeye Bleau
04-24-2017, 07:33 AM
Well thanks a lot folks, I thought that my Farkle list was finally getting short enough to manage, and now it just grew again. :banghead:

Joe

Bob Denman
04-24-2017, 07:53 AM
:agree: :shocked:
You said that you added these to your front wheels...
Do you plan on adding one to the rear wheel also?

Lamonster
04-24-2017, 08:18 AM
Great report. I also had the same results on my bike. I will say this is not a fix all for everyone. If your wheel and tire are out of round these may make it worst. They do what they are designed to do and that makes me happy when I read a post like this. :doorag:

tehrlich
04-26-2017, 03:58 PM
:agree: :shocked:
You said that you added these to your front wheels...
Do you plan on adding one to the rear wheel also?

Like I said, I bought these on a whim so I decided to not get the rear wheel. That was definitely a mistake with as much of a difference these made. Granted you'll probably get more out of the front than the rear, but psychologically, I now NEED the rear wheel! LOL!

tehrlich
04-26-2017, 04:00 PM
Great report. I also had the same results on my bike. I will say this is not a fix all for everyone. If your wheel and tire are out of round these may make it worst. They do what they are designed to do and that makes me happy when I read a post like this. :doorag:

No problem! They definitely exceeded my expectations!

Bob Denman
04-26-2017, 04:46 PM
Like I said, I bought these on a whim so I decided to not get the rear wheel. That was definitely a mistake with as much of a difference these made. Granted you'll probably get more out of the front than the rear, but psychologically, I now NEED the rear wheel! LOL!

:clap: :2thumbs:

tehrlich
04-26-2017, 09:41 PM
In the updated instructions, it is a bit confusing on whether or not to remove any balancers to the wheels prior to installing these.

One of my wheels had a few balancers stuck on the rim, and I did not remove them. It seems to work well with leaving them, too.

SpyderSteveFL
04-27-2017, 04:43 PM
So I have a dumb question - just got a set and haven't installed them yet. First impression unboxing - the rings weren't finished very well, and inasmuch as they are behind the wheel I'd expect not so have paint runs, etc on the ring. Also, I was expecting these to be quiet and granted I'm sure on the bike with helmet in motion would not be a problem, but just holding them and turning them it sounds like 'sand' swishing around. just turning them by hand you can clearly hear the material inside, I'm thinking it would drive me nuts thinking something is scraping just say pushing bike. Am I nuts or did y'all encounter the same thing? Not trying to be critical of the product just wondering...

Purple Guy
04-27-2017, 07:09 PM
Oh, wow. I didn't expect such a big difference with my 15 RT Limited!!

I bought the Lamonster wheel balancers (http://www.lamonstergarage.com/lamonster-approved-wheel-balancers-front-set-of-two/) for the front wheels on kind of a whim. Finally put them on today and went out for a spin. So much smoother and defined! I have had my front end laser aligned and that was great, but these made a huge difference. I guess I became used to some vibration over 15000 miles. I didn't mind it. Thought it was normal and attributed it to my hard-set shocks. These took out a LOT of the vibration to where, it feels like butter! It wasn't the stiff shock setting, it was minor vibration.

I tested the belt vibration that usually kicks in about 3900rpm's and it was still there. However, it was dramatically less. I'm guessing with a smoother front end, the whole unit is affected.

The added mass is a bonus, too, I think with tight turns. The wheels just seemed to be planted and more upright during aggressive turns.

These are so good that I think they are a necessary upgrade to a Spyder, just like upgrading the anti sway bar.

Mine arrived yesterday, Can't wait to slap them on!
I bought the full set, going to put on the fronts asap and doing a rear tire change in about 6 weeks before the misses & I head out on our 3 week road trip down PCH & Sturgis and wiil install that then.

So I have a dumb question - just got a set and haven't installed them yet. First impression unboxing - the rings weren't finished very well, and inasmuch as they are behind the wheel I'd expect not so have paint runs, etc on the ring. Also, I was expecting these to be quiet and granted I'm sure on the bike with helmet in motion would not be a problem, but just holding them and turning them it sounds like 'sand' swishing around. just turning them by hand you can clearly hear the material inside, I'm thinking it would drive me nuts thinking something is scraping just say pushing bike. Am I nuts or did y'all encounter the same thing? Not trying to be critical of the product just wondering...

Once the tire is spun up the beads remain stationary so you won't hear a thing...

tehrlich
04-27-2017, 08:21 PM
You can't hear anything, ever.

I like how they are finished..... kind of a matte aluminum. Now, if I could have had gloss black, that would've been cool.