PDA

View Full Version : Magic Mirror Mounts

RT Spyder Rider
04-19-2017, 05:46 PM
I ordered a set of "Magic Mirror" mounts from Russ on 5 April and expected to get them within about a 15 day period but had not received them to date. He sent a tracking number but nothing changed in the tracking info since I received it! I sent him an Email today asking for an expected delivery date.
Here is his response::mad:

Your parcel has been held at mebourne for 9 days now
A dickhead there noted they were magnetic
They have now been asvised to release them in limited numbers
Welcome to aust post
Notjing i can do
Russ

5Wheels
04-19-2017, 05:54 PM
Ordered mine on Feb. 20th, still waiting. I realize that there is nothing Russ can do. Looks like I might be going to Spyderfest with duct tape holding my mirror on. Several people have tried but we can't get one of the pins to engage.

Bob Denman
04-19-2017, 05:58 PM
Once you DO get them: you'll find out that they were worth the wait. I'm just sorry that this isn't really any consolation. :shocked:

Will Carly help?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDJ_Mz8ftqI

SPYD1
04-19-2017, 06:00 PM
Unfortunately this happens. We order parts for work from all over the world and it is common that magnets, bearings and such are held up. 😫
The bad news, I have a set of these enroute.

samewok
04-19-2017, 06:00 PM
they will be worth the wait.

samewok
04-19-2017, 06:02 PM
Ordered mine on Feb. 20th, still waiting. I realize that there is nothing Russ can do. Looks like I might be going to Spyderfest with duct tape holding my mirror on. Several people have tried but we can't get one of the pins to engage.I know you have looked but one of the wires on mine stopped it from going on.

pwm
04-19-2017, 06:07 PM
Ordered mine Sunday from Lamont and got them yesterday

Gordy
04-19-2017, 06:15 PM
Ordered mine on Feb. 20th, still waiting. I realize that there is nothing Russ can do. Looks like I might be going to Spyderfest with duct tape holding my mirror on. Several people have tried but we can't get one of the pins to engage.
put a thin washer behind pin I have done this with mine and it helps

Mazo EMS2
04-19-2017, 07:19 PM
I have some ordered too, and have the same issue with that lame tracking system. A couple days after I ordered them I saw that LaMonster was selling them.....grrrrr..... Hopefully I'll have them before I have to put it away for winter.

oldguyinTX
04-19-2017, 07:24 PM
I did get my magic mirror mounts - took 28 days from when Russ sent them - but in my experience that's about par for the course for overseas mail/post/whatever it's called. Not his fault. MY problem is, my RT went into the shop the day before they arrived. :roflblack::roflblack: If I weren't able to laugh, I would cry.

Bob Denman
04-20-2017, 06:57 AM
Do you have any idea as to when you'll be able to break your bike out of it's confinement yet? :dontknow:

Lamonster
04-20-2017, 08:52 AM
Ordered mine Sunday from Lamont and got them yesterday

I feel bad for Russel as there's nothing he can do once it leaves the shop. The package we got was beat up pretty bad with a big hole in it. Somehow we didn't lose any of the product. We have another large order heading our way. We won't get the complete order for a few weeks but a partial order shipped out to me Tuesday. Like others have said it's a great product and Russel is a standup guy. :doorag:

oldguyinTX
04-20-2017, 08:52 AM
Do you have any idea as to when you'll be able to break your bike out of it's confinement yet? :dontknow:

The YAW Control Sensor is supposed to come in today. Since it's waiting for parts, my RT is off of the work stand, which I totally understand. This is a VERY small dealership, and they only have one stand, but they are the absolute best dealer around. I recon when they finish the one they are working on now, mine will be next in line. I'm guessing midweek next week.

By the your Avatar is The Robot from the TV series "Lost In Space". He was called "Robot" Mine?

SteveandBelinda
04-20-2017, 08:59 AM
Mine are coming today. Just ordered 3 days ago. Ordered from Lamont.

Unfortunately this happens. We order parts for work from all over the world and it is common that magnets, bearings and such are held up. 😫
The bad news, I have a set of these enroute.

Bob Denman
04-20-2017, 09:16 AM
By the your Avatar is The Robot from the TV series "Lost In Space". He was called "Robot" Mine?
Here's to hoping that they get you back on the road soon! :cheers:
Technically: mine was called "B-9" by the studio...
But yours is Robby from "The Forbidden Planet" :bowdown:
Did you know that the score for that movie was NOT music? It was just what they figured that computers would sound like... (back in 1956)

oldguyinTX
04-20-2017, 09:26 AM
Here's to hoping that they get you back on the road soon! :cheers:
Technically: mine was called "B-9" by the studio...
But yours is Robby from "The Forbidden Planet" :bowdown:
Did you know that the score for that movie was NOT music? It was just what they figured that computers would sound like... (back in 1956)

Well Done Bob!:thumbup:

cognaccruiser
04-20-2017, 09:58 AM
Mine are also on their way from Russ and were shipped April 10th. I guess I'm in the same situation and will just be patient. I agree, it isn't Russ' fault.
I do hope that they arrive intact when ever that is.

Gary

Jeriatric
04-20-2017, 10:11 AM
I feel bad for Russel as there's nothing he can do once it leaves the shop. The package we got was beat up pretty bad with a big hole in it. Somehow we didn't lose any of the product. We have another large order heading our way. We won't get the complete order for a few weeks but a partial order shipped out to me Tuesday. Like others have said it's a great product and Russel is a standup guy. :doorag:

I second your feeling bad for Russel.

Mine are ordered and they'll get here....when they get here. It's NOT his fault once they are in the system. Patience is in order.

LJspydee
04-20-2017, 10:33 AM
Ordered my Magic Mirrors from Lamonster on Friday, got them on Monday, installed them in 30 minutes. The mirrors seem to be more stable than before, less vibration. Really going to appreciate them when I do service and mods.

Peter Aawen
04-20-2017, 11:04 AM
Unfortunately this happens. We order parts for work from all over the world and it is common that magnets, bearings and such are held up.....

I'm not apologising for any of the sloooow postal service processes out there, & certainly not having a dig at those hardworking Postal workers out there who do try to move the mail quickly & accurately, but considering the world as it is today, it's probably not all that strange for these sorts of items in particular to take longer than 'normal' mail!! :sour:

Just think about it for a minute - you know that you're expecting magnets (or bearings, or lumpy metal parts, or whatever) but do they?? And you can probably guess that the package you expect is going to be a bit of an odd shape & probably also a bit heavier than the usual mail in the system - certainly heavier for its size than most.... Soooo, just consider this from the postal system or workers point of view for a moment - here's some stuff that's wrapped 'pretty well'; it weighs 'quite a lot' for a package of this size; it probably has a few other similar packages gathered around it; & it might even be hard to pick up off the metal sorting tray.... What else does it take to start ringing alarm bells in your mind?? :shocked:

Even (or maybe especially) if it is labelled clearly, just about the only other DANGER Will Robinson, DANGER warnings I can think of that you could add to these packages would be greasy smeared finger marks (didja notice any of them on the packing tape? Russ always leaves sticky/greasy finger marks; Brenda, not so much!! :rolleyes:) & a funny almond-like smell emanating from the package!! Oh, wait a minute, does it tick or upset electronic gear?? :yikes:

Anyone else concerned yet?? I must admit that originally, I didn't even think about what these packages might bear some similarities to, but then when people started mentioning they took a while to get thru & that some had obviously been 'inspected' strenuously, it slowly dawned.... These packages have quite a few of the 'give-aways' that might just cause a bomb scare - and the more Russ & the Girls in the office try to 'disguise' those hall-marks, the scarier the package is likely to become!! More bubble wrap & tape?? Uh-oh!! Put it in a little box & hand-write the address labels? Yeah, Nope!! How about sending them overseas from an obscure country town address?!? Sending them in batches to a heap of US addresses?!? What about sticking a warning label on the outside?! Yeah, Sure!! No-one with mayhem in mind would ever think of doing any of that!! :shocked:

So like I said, I'm not trying to make excuses, & I really don't have a solution - but it is now just a little clearer in my mind why some of these packages could be taking a bit longer than expected to get thru the system & why some are damaged/torn a bit more than you might expect.... not sure that there's anything that Russ or the Girls in the office (both/either of them!) could do to alleviate the concern, either?? :dontknow:

Jdsd1
04-20-2017, 06:35 PM
Once you DO get them: you'll find out that they were worth the wait. I'm just sorry that this isn't really any consolation. :shocked:

Will Carly help?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDJ_Mz8ftqI

WHY?? Can someone explain to me the benefit of these mirrors?????

Y Rider
04-20-2017, 06:41 PM

If you perform your own maintenance on your Spyder the first step for just about every procedure is to remove the mirrors. I always cringe each time I attempt the mirror removal process but not with the magnetic mirrors mounts. Now it will be a simple task to remove and replace. :)

nslowmotion
04-20-2017, 07:47 PM
I ordered mine about a week before I found out that Lamont was selling them . Strange how that happens, the same thing happened when I ordered my fender lights, about 2 weeks after I ordered them, I went by his shop on my way back home from a Colorado vacation and he told me he was selling them........:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghea d::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghea d::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

oldguyinTX
04-20-2017, 08:51 PM
Refer to post#10. Overseas mail does take a really long time, what with customs, etc. Mine showed up when I least expected them. Yours will too.

budjones13
04-20-2017, 09:00 PM

I take it that is why I can't pull up on your site? Is there a way i can pre order until your stock arrives?

New spyder rider and wanted to thank you for all your videos you helped with my new addiction

billybovine
04-20-2017, 09:04 PM
From time to time I order stuff out of China. Tracking will show it getting to Canada in 4 or 5 days. Then the magic words "Sent for further processing". I have come to find out that is Customs. 5 to 40 days later tracking will continue to my house.

PMK
04-21-2017, 02:30 AM
It happens. Myself, I am currently waiting on spokes for my 1973 OSSA. For whatever reason, this order from the UK is taking longer than all the others.

Possibly all your magnets are stuck to my spokes, and the entire lot is twirling around, stuck magnetically to the post office conveyor system.

I will say the magnet mounts are neat, but still prefer my bolted on aftermarket mirrors on the RTS.

Ex Winger
04-21-2017, 04:36 AM
I ordered mine last Sat from Lamont.They arrived in Ogdensburg on Wed. i just need to drive over pick them up.Maybe if its nice Sat go for a short ride across the border.:yes:

Bob Denman
04-21-2017, 06:58 AM
The OEM mounts for the mirrors have been an issue ever since it was first introduced on the 2010 models. You have to tap this way... then that way... then some other way... and end up wanting to take a baseball bat to them. nojoke
This is easy-peasey! :clap:

Buckeye Bleau
04-21-2017, 07:12 AM
The OEM mounts for the mirrors have been an issue ever since it was first introduced on the 2010 models. You have to tap this way... then that way... then some other way... and end up wanting to take a baseball bat to them. nojoke
This is easy-peasey! :clap:

:agree: I am so happy to have these. I usually had no problem with removal other than the occasional mirror flying across the garage. However, that reinstall was horrendo, first 1/2 hour of attempts, fiddling with the prongs, uttering some words that the grandchildren should not hear. :banghead: Finally walking away for another 1/2 hour, coming back and it slips right on, I swear that they program the blasted things to work that way. :yikes:

Joe

Ex-Rocket
04-21-2017, 09:31 AM
My Magic Mirrors were shipped April 10 and just did a track on the package and it has finally hit the USA. Currently is in Chicago, got there on the 20th. Getting closer to delivery.:yes::yes::yes:

Devious56
04-21-2017, 10:56 AM
I ordered mine a week ago ( the 21st ) and they are in New York now. Getting close, can't wait.

David

Got mine on the 26th, took about 35 / 40 minutes to install them, after finding all the necessary tools. Really a cool idea, will come in handy in the long run.

David

Y Rider
04-21-2017, 11:41 AM
My Magic Mirrors were shipped April 10 and just did a track on the package and it has finally hit the USA. Currently is in Chicago, got there on the 20th. Getting closer to delivery.:yes::yes::yes:

Mine was also shipped on April 10th. Just checked tracking and mine also arrived in the states. I assume Chicago. Hopefully will have them soon. :ohyea:

IdahoMtnSpyder
04-21-2017, 01:51 PM
Here is some info about international postal tracking some of you may find helpful, or disconcerting, whatever the case may be. I'm waiting for a phone case coming from Poland. Here's what the seller has to say about tracking.

BUT - tracking show only the way in Poland, USPS turned off this possibility of tracking for incoming international mail - Please read this https://community.ebay.com/t5/Archive-Shipping-Returns/USPS-no-longer-supporitng-inbound-international-mail-tracking-to/td-p/23324720

Apparently this has been the case since 2014 so even if Russel did give a tracking number it probably wouldn't do you any good.

Ex-Rocket
04-26-2017, 03:08 PM
Got my Magic Mirrors yesterday. Shipped April 10 and arrived April 26. I guess that isn't too bad. But boy was the package really looked like it has been through hell. The shipping label was half peeled off and torn. Just glad the contents were still inside. Got the Magic Mirrors installed today and only took me about 45 minutes total. Just a word of caution about the magnets. These magnets are strong as heck. Don't ever get 2 magnets together. Don't ask me how I know. LOL They are hell to pull apart. Thanks to Russell Culey for a great product and for an easy install. :yes::yes::yes:

billythekidd
04-26-2017, 05:08 PM
My tracking number was sent to me on the April 11th and still says not scanned yet.... LOL

irvin48
04-27-2017, 08:03 AM
mine only took a week to get here. . turned on docs video this morning,
and a 1/2 hr later the rt had a magnetic personality !! thanks, russell for
a great product. :bowdown: :yes:

being the paranoid person i am, i made a quick tether, just in case.146917

Ex-Rocket
04-27-2017, 09:55 AM
There isn't no way these will ever blow off. It takes a really hard hit to get the mirror to break loose from the magnets. I don't see any reason to attach a tether, but to each his own.

KX5062
04-27-2017, 10:37 AM
I got mine yesterday and installed them straight away. Super easy with just his written instructions.

Me likey!!!:joke:

Great ideal Russell!!!!!:2thumbs::2thumbs::2thumbs:

Bob Denman
04-27-2017, 10:44 AM
mine only took a week to get here. . turned on docs video this morning,
and a 1/2 hr later the rt had a magnetic personality !! thanks, russell for
a great product. :bowdown: :yes:

being the paranoid person i am, i made a quick tether, just in case.146917

I also attached the tether (The insurance guy inside me was yelling loudly... :shocked:)
When I had to pull a mirror off the bike: I loosened the mounting point on the bike with a T30 torx bit, and pulle the tether loose from up there! :thumbup:
(MUCH easier than removing it from the mirror body! nojoke)

Tennesseetomboy
04-27-2017, 10:48 AM
Mine were shipped on 4 April and I received them yesterday! Mine must have slipped by! Gonna watch the video and install them today. Got a set of FOBOs from Lamonster yesterday too and already have them on! Was like Christmas around here yesterday!!

RT Spyder Rider
04-27-2017, 03:50 PM
Well, it just took 22 days to get the mounts.:cheers: Watched the video and took me about 20 minutes for an easy install. Great product. Just hope the mailings get faster.

merlot
04-27-2017, 04:58 PM
Mailings before 10 April were basic post so may take forever
april 10 mailings were the better,more expensive,6 days.......unfort this batch was held over in Melb for around 12 days then drip fed to the conveyor so difficult to appraise effectiveness so subtract 12 from the elapsed time to get an accurate time taken,these also have tracking which I think is useless anyway
april 18 mailings feedback has been really positive,( using the same mail rate but with better packaging)taking on average 7 days which is good from tassie

re the tether
the girls in the office are working on a simple tether(it's just a piece of string) and may put a vid on website next weekend
the orig tethers were difficult and time consuming to make,fiddle to fit and remove and largely useless,but I do understand that some still want a tether regardless,so if we get away from quick release and go for unscrewing the top Tupperware screw,then it's really simple to make up in numbers

thanks. Russ

billythekidd
05-11-2017, 05:52 PM
For those who ordered after the tether was no longer included in the kit, what are you using as a tether?

BLUEKNIGHT911
05-11-2017, 08:54 PM
For those who ordered after the tether was no longer included in the kit, what are you using as a tether?
Go to post #61, on the other Magic Mirror THREAD and find the answer ..... Mike :thumbup:

irvin48
05-12-2017, 06:33 AM
this is what i did--irv

BLUEKNIGHT911
05-12-2017, 08:33 AM
this is what i did--irv
Irv, that will prevent loss of mirror .... but with the length of the cable what is going to happen to the mirror in say a plus 50 mph speed. The shorter the safety line the less the mirror can bang around ( see my post #5 above )....... jmho ...... Mike :thumbup:

Bob Denman
05-12-2017, 08:39 AM
Ideally: the tether is short enough to keep the mirror from flopping around too much... :clap:

...But long enough to keep you from tearing it loose! :shocked:

irvin48
05-12-2017, 08:54 AM
Irv, that will prevent loss of mirror .... but with the length of the cable what is going to happen to the mirror in say a plus 50 mph speed. The shorter the safety line the less the mirror can bang around ( see my post #5 above )....... jmho ...... Mike :thumbup:

it looks longer than it is.[did i just say that ?]
maybe it will slap some sense in me. thanks !

Bob Denman
05-12-2017, 08:55 AM
:D It's a gender thing: we're all guilty of it! :roflblack:

BLUEKNIGHT911
05-12-2017, 10:51 AM
[QUOTE=irvin48;1256814]it looks longer than it is.[did i just say that ?]
maybe it will slap some sense in me. thanks .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. . irv, it's a combination of cable length and where it is attached to.... Un-do your mirror and see how far it will drop on your safety cable ..... mine only drops 2 inches from OEM position .....( follow the other thread to my post # 61 ) .... or don't ...the mirrors are not likely to fall off , but if they do you will find out exactly what the difference is....................... Mike :thumbup: