PDA

View Full Version : Insurance Question: NYS

newbert
04-17-2017, 12:18 PM
Just got off the phone with my auto/house insurance company. I tried getting a ballpark quote on a 2017 Spyder. I haven't bought one yet, so this was strictly hypothetical.

After answering a lot more questions than I expected (ie - how often do I expect to ride it per week? - I answered twice per week; and how many miles do I expect to ride a year? - I answered 3-4K. Pretty conservative numbers.), I was stunned when she quoted me an estimated rate of $700/year at a deductible of $1000. That's almost as much as what I'm paying for my car!. :(

Does anyone know whether this is a typical rate for upstate New York?

If any New Yorkers are willing to share what they pay and what insurance company they use, please PM me.

Thanks.

Bob Denman
04-17-2017, 12:23 PM
Do you currently have a motorcycle license? :dontknow:

There are so many factors used to determine the rates, that you can't make a valid comparison.
(In the insurance business for 39 years... )

Easy Rider
04-17-2017, 12:27 PM
News flash:
Your brand new Spyder might cost just as much as your car.....or more.
I would expect the rates to be similar for full coverage.

Rob Rodriguez
04-17-2017, 01:18 PM
In Vermont, signing up with Progressive (on-line) I'm paying $170/yr for 100/300 coverage. This is for a 2012 RS. When new the cost was about $194.

Bob Denman
04-17-2017, 01:23 PM
In Vermont, signing up with Progressive (on-line) I'm paying $170/yr for 100/300 coverage. This is for a 2012 RS. When new the cost was about $194.

:banghead: This is why comparisons are impossible... nojoke
An RS in Vermont CANNOT be compared to any model Spyder in New York.
In fact: you can't even compare bikes just because they are within the same State. :gaah:

Newbert:
PM me with your email address, and I'll tell you what information I would need in order to quote a bike for you. :thumbup:

jmatera
04-17-2017, 01:49 PM
Hi Newbert,

I have a 2016 RS and was a new rider. I live in upstate NY too and my insurance was about that too. but when I renewed it this year it came down about $100.

PaladinLV
04-17-2017, 03:34 PM
Checkout GEICO
Having lived in Syracuse Area (Liverpool/Baldwinsville) over 25 years, this seems excessive!

AJ

Just got off the phone with my auto/house insurance company. I tried getting a ballpark quote on a 2017 Spyder. I haven't bought one yet, so this was strictly hypothetical.

After answering a lot more questions than I expected (ie - how often do I expect to ride it per week? - I answered twice per week; and how many miles do I expect to ride a year? - I answered 3-4K. Pretty conservative numbers.), I was stunned when she quoted me an estimated rate of $700/year at a deductible of $1000. That's almost as much as what I'm paying for my car!. :(

Does anyone know whether this is a typical rate for upstate New York?

If any New Yorkers are willing to share what they pay and what insurance company they use, please PM me.

Thanks.

Vidman
04-17-2017, 04:05 PM
Give Bob Denham a chance. If he could write in CT i would have checked him out.